Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Voros

Doomed Investigator
Reaction score
I know TristramEvans TristramEvans recently mentioned the idea of a RPG based on the work of Henry Darger then I came across this LARP by Banana Chan from the Golden Cobra challenge inspired by Darger's work The Other Place.

Here is the write-up from the Golden Cobra jury:

The Other Place, by Banana Chan

Kids go up into the attic, where there’s a soul-sucking mirror and two kid spirits trying to replace them. Banana Chan has written – no, illustrated – a simple, eerie trip into the fantastic that will likely take under an hour. Evocative drawings model the characters, play, and everything else one would need to understand to make the game interesting. Multiple outcomes, including several that are devastatingly creepy, make the emergent play of this game an object of considerable interest. Although certain factors such as player safety are largely set aside, we see the irresistible, uncanny charm of this game’s overall design as deserving of an honorable mention.

The LARP only lightly touches on Darger's themes but the artwork is definitely reminiscent if less groteque and perverse than his most extreme material.

If you don't know about Darger and his remarkable art this primer on him from PBS is a good introduction. There is also a feature length documentary The Realms of the Unreal which is excellent and worth watching if you want to learn more.

Last edited:
Very interesting I'm hoping to have some more time tomorrow to give it a good look through.

And yes, Realms of the Unreal was a fascinating film

Though the subject matter is sill a bit iffy for me, in thatI don't think my current gaming group are the type that would embrace "playing two children in a magical spirit world," I really like the approach of the rulebook. It's completely focused on character, with the art and design working perfectly with the text to convey the aesthetic

Though the subject matter is sill a bit iffy for me, in thatI don't think my current gaming group are the type that would embrace "playing two children in a magical spirit world," I really like the approach of the rulebook. It's completely focused on character, with the art and design working perfectly with the text to convey the aesthetic

Yeah I was impressed how she was able to communicate so much so concisely via the art and writing.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back