Level Up: Advanced 5th Edition Is Coming!

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Mike Myler

Well-Known Pubber
Reaction score
Level Up is the working title or codename for an upcoming standalone tabletop roleplaying game. This game is conceptualized as an ‘advanced’ version of 5th Edition which adds a little more depth to the rules you already know and love. It will be fully backwards-compatible.

Level Up will be coming to Kickstarter in 2021, by the team who brought you the popular EN5ider Magazine and Mythological Figures & Maleficent Monsters.

We will be recruiting an elite group of diverse 5E designers very soon. Stay tuned!

https://www.enworld.org/threads/level-up-advanced-5th-edition-is-coming.673880/

1597060597345.png

Heh, team hasn't been recruited yet and the product pimping has already begun.

Hey, you have to start early with Kickstarter projects. If that's one thing that I've learned in my study of them- start early!

Hey, you have to start early with Kickstarter projects. If that's one thing that I've learned in my study of them- start early!
It is best to start early, not sure about promoting a kickstarter specifically. But definitely whatever it is about. Share early and often.

It is best to start early, not sure about promoting a kickstarter specifically. But definitely whatever it is about. Share early and often.
But they don't know what it will be about, according to the survey they want you to take. Looks like the only things they have kinda sorta nailed down is "advanced" and 5e and KS in 2021.

But they don't know what it will be about, according to the survey they want you to take. Looks like the only things they have kinda sorta nailed down is "advanced" and 5e and KS in 2021.
Well it sounds like it would hard for them to follow my advice at the moment. Can't release early and often if there is nothing to release. :wink:

On a more serious note maybe I should consider working some more on the 5e material that I shared here. It all first pass stuff for now. But because the material resolves around how I view the metaphysics of my setting (the chromatic crystals, etc) in the second pass I would looking for options that I can pick out and use as feats due to the fact that the SRD only gives one feat. Feats representing things you can learn as a character but not at the level as you would if you took the class. That may count as something "advanced" in players eyes.

Last edited:
Yeah, that doesn't sound like much development time for what sounds like a fairly ambitious project.

Yeah, that doesn't sound like much development time for what sounds like a fairly ambitious project.
Snapshot of the first activity on the Trello card for this project.

1597157053953.png

I know what I want this to do, bossman has a list of things he wants this to do. That doesn't mean we don't value the opinions of others. :smile:

View attachment 20987

I know what I want this to do, bossman has a list of things he wants this to do. That doesn't mean we don't value the opinions of others. :smile:
Which is why I said " Looks like the only things they have kinda sorta nailed down is "advanced" and 5e and KS in 2021. "

No clear understanding of what "Level Up" is supposed to be accomplishing besides "advanced"
No writers, collaborators, freelancers, typists or whatever you prefer to call them

Do you realize everything you put into your survey is exactly what Pathfinder 2 is already doing?

View attachment 20987

Fair enough - no offence was intended.

Does this mean the surveys are more of a guide as to what the project has strong ideas for at the moment, with less popular items perhaps being pushed to Level Up Supplement #1 or the like for further refinement?

Which is why I said " Looks like the only things they have kinda sorta nailed down is "advanced" and 5e and KS in 2021. "
Yes. From the outside, for people who do not have access to the company's files and workspace, I can see why it'd be sensible to think I've been working on this for a year and have nothing more to show for it than two words and a date. My history of posts definitely indicate that kind of wanting initiative. I'll check with Morrus to see if I can post the whole spread for you here on a public forum.

Do you realize everything you put into your survey is exactly what Pathfinder 2 is already doing?
Do you realize that out of the thousands of responses this has generated since the announcement on Sunday, you are the first person to comment or Tweet that? I can't believe that they made Pathfinder 2E compatible with D&D 5E. That whipped right past me. :/

Fair enough - no offence was intended.

Does this mean the surveys are more of a guide as to what the project has strong ideas for at the moment, with less popular items perhaps being pushed to Level Up Supplement #1 or the like for further refinement?
The results of the surveys (this is the first one) will guide development and help us pick out anything crucial in the fixes that we should have implemented but didn't—they're to make sure we're comprehensive in building this and cover all the bases that definitely need covered. That first survey's questions are from the boiled down feedback from prior to the announcement ("what would you fix for D&D 5.5E" and similar posts), and they'll get more specific later on.
Can't speak for what the product line after the initial book will be (that's somewhere we have not talked much about yet) but that'd be a reasonable place to go. We'll see!

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back