Looking for fantasy RPGs published in 2018, 2019 or 2020

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Reaction score
Hey guys! Since I'm completely out of touch, I'm turning to my favorite forum for help.

I'm looking for RPGs (not supplements) published (like, they actually exist, none of that kickstarter shit) in the last three years. Preferably matching at least two of these criteria:

-Fantasy
-OSR
-On the light side

Please let me know what's out there and even, better tell me what you think about them! Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I'm going to make a list here of all the suggestions you have made, as well as the two titles I am aware of: Into the Unknown and Mörk Borg. I'll check all this stuff and respond to some of your comments later today. Thanks again for your help! :smile:

LIST SO FAR

Eorathril
Far Away Land
For Coin & Blood
Hero's Journey
Into the Unknown
Mörk Borg

Old-School Essentials
Sword of Cepheus
Torchlit Adventures

Troika!

Last edited:
Hey guys! Since I'm completely out of touch, I'm turning to my favorite forum for help.
OK, sounds like a good place to go.
I'm looking for RPGs (not supplements) published (like, they actually exist, none of that kickstarter shit) in the last three years. Preferably matching at least two of these criteria:

-Fantasy
-OSR
-On the light side
What's all this for? Your criteria are strangely specific on one hand but also pretty broad on another; there are probably a lot of games that meet those standards. You've seen the core material a thousand times. So what are you looking for that you can't get some from something made more than three years ago? Or are you just trying to catch up after returning from the wilderness?

The most recent ruleset to get much attention in all three of your categories would probably be Old-School Essentials. OSE's objective is to present a modular ruleset built on a completely faithful interpretation of B/X. I think many people feel that it has succeeded. The modular design, highly legible layout and attractive art are what set them apart from the source material. A lot of recent OSR adventures reference OSE as the reference mechanics.

As for kickstarter, I am guessing that you mean you aren't interested in stuff that's still in production. Because if you have a general proscription against KS, that's going to rule out a lot, maybe most, of what's out there.

-Fantasy
-OSR
-On the light side

Please let me know what's out there and even, better tell me what you think about them! Thanks in advance!
I recommend... Sword of Cepheus -
It's both fantasy and light, so it fits your criteria (and I'd argue that it's also part of the non-TSR inspired OSR). And you can easily find it on Drivethru:grin:!

As an addendum, it would be useful if you could define what you mean by "OSR". There are, let's say, different interpretations!

Even more amusingly, you should also tell us what you mean by "fantasy". Like, does a game about ghost-hunters in Fantasy China count? It's light, fantasy, and it's even got classes (the "wizard" guy is also easiest to kill in a fight) and a 10-level structure:devil:!
But for some people non-European settings are a turn-off and somehow "not fantasy, it's wuxia, man" (I had recently a live-in encounter with the holder of such an opinion:shade:).

Me? I love it, of course! That's why I'm recommending it.

Last edited:
I assume the OP meant Kickstarters that had yet to be fulfilled, and wanted products they could actually presently go out anbd purchase, as opposed to a blanket prejudice against any game that originated from a KS.

(but they can correct me if I'm wrong)

I assume the OP meant Kickstarters that had yet to be fulfilled, and wanted products they could actually presently go out anbd purchase, as opposed to a blanket prejudice against any game that originated from a KS.
That was my default assumption as well, but I'm allowing for the fact that if he's been out-of-touch long enough he may be unaware of how integral it is to current RPG publishing.

(but they can correct me if I'm wrong)

This was my understanding as well. I'm sure we've all experience moments where, when on a game hunt, you come across a game that looks fun / exciting but the campaign has ended and you have no way to get your hands on it. The ones that provide no means of getting a print copy beyond the KS are the worst.

Solar Blades & Cosmic Spells may fit the criteria. Released in 2018, it's more science fantasy - basically a punk-ass Star Wars with the serial numbers filed off. It's also more what I'd call "OSR adjacent" in that it has that you-know-it-when-you-see-it Old School spirit, but isn't a retro clone of any game.

There was a sword and sorcery game put out by the same author called Sharp Swords & Sinister Spells, that is done in the same style. I didn't lead off with it though since that game was released in 2016.

If you don't have either, both are worthwhile.

What's all this for? Your criteria are strangely specific on one hand but also pretty broad on another; there are probably a lot of games that meet those standards. You've seen the core material a thousand times. So what are you looking for that you can't get some from something made more than three years ago? Or are you just trying to catch up after returning from the wilderness?

There are literally dozens of games that fulfill these criteria, and that's before we split hairs on a definition of "light."

I'll start with the very obvious (and free) ones that no one's pointed out yet: first-generation retro-clones for OD&D (Swords & Wizardry) and B/X D&D (Labyrinth Lord).

Just trying to catch up with current games, as Edgewise guessed. That's why I'm only interested in finding out about games published in 2018, 2019 or 2020 :smile:

Just trying to catch up with current games, as Edgewise guessed. That's why I'm only interested in finding out about games published in 2018, 2019 or 2020 :smile:
Well, if you widen it a bit to games that have had supplements published in those years, the recommendations would be much more numerous. (And Mythras would feature prominently:tongue:).
I guess your goal is to only get recommendations for games that are "alive and well", right?

Here is another game that is both fantasy (kinda) and light.
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/249193/Everywhen - generic (so can do different kinds of fantasy... including AD&D-alikes with monks and stuff). And it's from 2018, AFAICT.
The "dedicated" Swords-and-Sorcery version of this is, of course, Barbarians of Lemuria - usually considered the Number 1 best S&S game. it's just that the latest version of it is from a couple years earlier, I believe:thumbsup:.

I'll also plug Into the Unknown which is a well designed mashup of B/X and 5e. We have a thread on it here.

Yeah, ItU and Mörk Borg were the two titles I was already aware of and are already on the list ;)

Into the Unknown is flat out amazing and probably one of the RPG that has most impressed me in many, many years. I discovered it by accident recently and that is actually the reason that prompted my query here. I'm trying to figure out if I may have missed more stuff!

The way Anders Honoré has distilled 5e and then put an OSR twist is brilliant. I haven't seen such a concise and efficient writer since Greg Porter back when he released CORPS.

BTW, Consonant Dude Consonant Dude does urban fantasy count as fantasy for the purposes of this thread:grin:?

Why not? Let's go crazy :p

Even better if you say a few things about the game. Just trying to find new stuff that might interest me. Use the criteria as guidelines but by all means, talk about any game that strikes your fancy.

I used to be "that guy" who knew everything that was going on inn the industry and informed his groups and his friends and in the last 4-5 years I progressively stopped reading news, forum, blogs and keeping tabs. It's a strange feeling being clueless, not recognizing RPG acronyms, authors and trends. I'm just happy if people can tell me about games :smile:

Mothership should get a nod

sci-fi horror in the vein of Alien as an OSR game

and while on the subject of OSR horror, Black Sun Deathcrawl is perhaps the bleakest approach to D&D ever concieved

Why not? Let's go crazy :p

Even better if you say a few things about the game. Just trying to find new stuff that might interest me. Use the criteria as guidelines but by all means, talk about any game that strikes your fancy.

I used to be "that guy" who knew everything that was going on inn the industry and informed his groups and his friends and in the last 4-5 years I progressively stopped reading news, forum, blogs and keeping tabs. It's a strange feeling being clueless, not recognizing RPG acronyms, authors and trends. I'm just happy if people can tell me about games :smile:
Then let me recommend Delta Green! It's a Mythos - inspired occult investigators today, with the PCs being secret agents of a government conspiracy.

Someone on another forum had described it "like CoC, but it is happening today and you play a dude whose mandate is to stomp on the neck of the Mythos until you realize there is infinite neck to stomp and your best course of action is a 9mm retirement plan":devil:.

lol, Delta Green has been around over 20 years

Then let me recommend Delta Green! It's a Mythos - inspired occult investigators today, with the PCs being secret agents of a government conspiracy.

Someone on another forum had described it "like CoC, but it is happening today and you play a dude whose mandate is to stomp on the neck of the Mythos until you realize there is infinite neck to stomp and your best course of action is a 9mm retirement plan":devil:.

There's this amazing new game called Pendragon y'all should check out!!! :clown:

lol, Delta Green has been around over 20 years
Not the one from Arc Dream. Consider it a "second edition".

There's this amazing new game called Pendragon y'all should check out!!! :clown:
Amusingly, Pendragon also had a new edition, something like 5.2, in the last 3 years! But I don't think it counts as rules light any more.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back