Looking for some players for roleplaying in the dystopic city of Sandukar. (Online/Voice)(3+ players)(Thursdays 21:00 Central European Time)

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Lundgren

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
I'm currently setting up a game for the dystopic neo-noir rpg I posted about a couple of years ago, and looking for players. I would like to have at least three players to get the game of the ground (I currently have one interested player). Are you potentially interested?

Thursdays 21:00 Central European Time (GMT+1. +2 with DST). Probably 3 hour sessions.

The game will be held on Discord by voice chat (video optional for those who prefer to have the camera on). Some other web based tools, like Foundry VTT, might be used. Only free accounts will be required by the players, where applicable.

The system to be used is a slight modification of the Swedish role-playing game Noir. Here is a forum thread describing the game in broad terms, and shows how a character is created. No previous experience required or even expected. The characters will be created together with the GM.

If you're worried about triggers and sensitive topics, this just might not be the game for you (and that's fine). Due to the open world element, even if it is uncommon in the setting, and you play a character that tries to avoid it and is not listening in on the other players when they are elsewhere, there would still not be any guarantee it never would turn up in game. However, if it depends on the group or other factors, you are welcome to talk to us.

Due to the topics that can turn up in the game, you will have to be 18+ and a legal adult of your place of residence (which in some places is higher than 18).

Sandukar - The Eternal City
The bright star of the Empire, the city of opportunity;
where someone proper, moral and hard working can build a career and a future for himself and his family. The city where the big epics for the silver screen are made; where one might see the actors, or even be discovered oneself. The capital where the important decisions are made to govern the Empire; with knowledge and wisdom to guide toward strength and prosperity.

The city has the best and finest schools. State schools guarantee education to all free individuals, enabling all to contribute to the prosperity of the Empire.

Sandukar is full of available entertainment; jazz clubs, theaters, cinemas, restaurants, opera houses; all is there for well earned leisure after work hours.

It is never far to a citizen office inside the city; far from the long journeys of the countryside to do simple paperwork or registrations.

Security is guaranteed by the proud police force, dedicated to protect the state, the citizens and everyone else against criminals and the treacherous enemy! Those serving at the front in the honorable war against the vile enemy can rest (in peace, if it so happens...) assured their close and loved ones are protected at home!!!

While the police physically protects the inhabitants, The Ministry of Truth protects their minds against the subversive lies that the enemy, and some traitors, and renegades, try to spread. Through newspapers, radio stations, movie studios and schools do The Ministry of Truth make sure the falsehood of the enemy can't take root!

This message is approved by The Ministry of Truth!

This glorious city of hope can and will contain, but not limited to:
Bureaucratic dictatorship, Class differences, Double standards, Archaic moral values, Police brutality, Citizen informants, Organized crime, and Corruption.

It is set in a dystopian empire that is under the thumb of an oppressive bureaucratic dictatorship. Members of the old nobility, industrial magnates, and the upper echelon of the bureaucrats are scheming for power.
The middle class is often trying to keep up appearance of prosperity and happiness, to distinguish itself from the struggling lower class.
For many in the lower class, a full belly and not fearing eviction is a luxury.
Corruption and crime is rampant. But hey, things could always be worse...

The setting is very much a pastiche of morality, values, and technology of the first half of the 20th century, but more European than American. While the main culture is homophobic, Sandukar has a vibrant underground gay scene. While the ideal for many is the bread winning husband and homemaker wife, few can afford it; and due to the second war, many women have gotten used to earning their own money.

Sandukar has a diameter of 33 kilometers, and have just over ten million inhabitants (not counting "lifetime employees" or those living in "the suburbs"). The architecture generally goes from five to six stories high brick buildings to skyscrapers. A 20 meter high wall surrounds the city, with only a few well guarded gates in or out. Outside the city, besides "the suburbs," there are a large harbor and a military base.

The plan is:
* West Marches inspired "open table". Loosely connected characters (each player character however has a stronger connection to at least one other PC), and the characters for those players that aren't present will be elsewhere in the city, doing other stuff.

* The timeslot we are aiming for is Thursdays 21:00 Central European Time (GMT+1. +2 with DST). Probably 3 hour sessions.

* On the Hays code to HBO scale, it will definitely be on the HBO side of things.

* Conflicting PC goals that can be character ending should be opt-in. For example, if one player plays a police investigator, and another plays a burglar, the investigator won't get assigned those cases (unless that's what both players want). However, if the player of the burglar do the crimes somewhere the investigator can't miss them, then it is up to the investigator's player how to act on it, and the "PC protection" is waived - it really depends on the investigator's player, so you're taking a real risk.
Both "play to lose" and "play to win" are acceptable play-styles in that regard.

* Related to the above: PCs must have goals. The goals can, and most likely will, change in play as events affect the character and as you discover more about the character. If you find that a goal you previously established isn't working for you, then you and the GM can look at it together to change or replace it to something that will.

* Secret secrets & open secrets: Some secrets between the characters will be kept open to the players, as it will simplify game-play (no need to separate the players all of the time when the characters are at separate locations).
However, there will also be character secrets that will be kept a secret from the other players!

* Players that is not interested in hearing what's happening when their character isn't present won't have to listen in, as long they are reachable for when it is their turn.

* Players that are willing to, and can handle it, are welcome to take the reins of some NPC.

* While a character can have opinions that clashes with what the state have deemed correct, the character should have at least some opinions that are aligned with the state approved opinions.

* Not hiding opinions that clashes with the state can lead to the character being sent to a reeducation center. That's one of the in-game consequences that being a PC doesn't protect against!

* On a scale from "Feverish dreamworld" to "Like the real world, but a made up place," this version of Sandukar will be roughly at the level of The Matrix. (There are some "reality editing" mechanics, like meta-points, but you don't have to use them).

This sounds amazing! I wish I could play but, given my irregular schedule, I'm basically limited to PbP for the foreseeable future. I hope you get a good group together, as it's obvious you've put a lot of time and effort into the setting. Regarding your last bullet point, would I be right in guessing there might be elements resembling Dark City or Xhystos as well? Good luck with your game!

This sounds amazing! I wish I could play but, given my irregular schedule, I'm basically limited to PbP for the foreseeable future.
One of the reasons to go with a West Marshesque setup is to be able to work around things like irregular schedules. A big city and no cellphones makes it quite a bit easier to explain why a character were unreachable for a while, but then shows up again. So it might not be impossible.

I hope you get a good group together, as it's obvious you've put a lot of time and effort into the setting.
Thanks. :smile: I hope so too.

Regarding your last bullet point, would I be right in guessing there might be elements resembling Dark City or Xhystos as well? Good luck with your game!
While I'm unfamiliar with Xhystos, Dark City was mentioned by the game creators as one of the main inspirations. So the "feverish dreamworld" end of the scale would make some things quite close to that movie. :thumbsup:

The only confirmed player so far is me. I just thought everyone that might think of applying deserves a fair warning...:tongue:

I hope you get a good group together, as it's obvious you've put a lot of time and effort into the setting.
It seems unlikely, though, doesn't it:grin:?

Last edited:
As expected, my radiant personality seems to have scared everybody...sorry, L Lundgren :grin:!
And here I thought that the cute guinea pig avatar would help:shade:!

Bumping this thread, in case the cuteness of the guinea pig avatar works slowly. :smile:

September and October will be very busy for me, but not too busy if we can get this game of the ground.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back