Looks like Artesia is coming back

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

CRKrueger

Eläytyminatör
Reaction score
This world book for the Artesia setting came up in my “Other people purchased” at DTRPG.
Artesia was a comic book series made by Mark Smylie about a world inspired heavily by Glorantha mythology (multiple aspects of gods, spirits everywhere, magic and runes commonplace, etc). He got through 3 volumes of six and got stalled halfway through the fourth, doing more publishing then drawing. He did put out the RPG Artesia: Adventures in the Known World in 2005 which won a bunch of awards that year. The system is FUZION.

Anyway, I found out he had a novel published, The Barrow and has a second version of Artesia: Adventures in the Known World is in the works, called Sword and Barrow. He publishes on DTRPG under Aegis and Gorgon for the company and he’s the author of everything. You can get the world book, the RPG, and the first three comic volumes.

I like Interlock, but not a big fan of FUZION, although I liked the RPG. I think Mythras would be the ideal home for it, but since the beta test documents will be up soon, and we haven’t heard anything from Loz Loz , it will probably be FUZION again.

Last edited:
I don't get the appeal. When I've looked at the artwork every character looks identical, as if the entire world setting is populated by clones. I've not seen a story (?) and setting with such a strange uniform look, to the extent that it gives off a creepy vibe, and I can't get past that, it's instantly repellent.

Yeah, he definitely had some problems with multiple characters, particularly women, having the same face, but different hair. Men seemed to have more variety. The world I thought was pretty cool.

Now, this is an interesting development:thumbsup:!

CRKrueger CRKrueger your second link appears to be broken.

Love the setting, did not love the system. Like CRK I’d. Have licensed this to DM for use with Mythras.

I’m not sure that the 2nd Edition system will be Fuzion. On his Patreon, he’s talked about 5e monsters that are appropriate for the setting and he’s also mentioned interest in the new RuneQuest. Additionally, he was previously approached by Lawrence Whitaker about a Mythras licence.

My feeling is that it will not be an RQ or Mythras product, but it’s own system based on an open system such as the 5e SRD or Legend OGC. However, at the moment, it’s not even at beta testing, so a lot could change in the time it takes to get to the published version.

Personally, I would like to see a Mythras version because I think Loz and Pete will work with Mark Smylie to produce a quality product that’s well playtested and respectful of Smylie’s wishes as IP holder (as with their recent Lyonesse game)

I’m not sure that the 2nd Edition system will be Fuzion. On his Patreon, he’s talked about 5e monsters that are appropriate for the setting and he’s also mentioned interest in the new RuneQuest. Additionally, he was previously approached by Lawrence Whitaker about a Mythras licence.

My feeling is that it will not be an RQ or Mythras product, but it’s own system based on an open system such as the 5e SRD or Legend OGC. However, at the moment, it’s not even at beta testing, so a lot could change in the time it takes to get to the published version.

Personally, I would like to see a Mythras version because I think Loz and Pete will work with Mark Smylie to produce a quality product that’s well playtested and respectful of Smylie’s wishes as IP holder (as with their recent Lyonesse game)
Yeah, I wrote emails to both Smylie and Loz trying to get Artesia for Loz and Pete RuneQuest. He had another system in mind. Hell, maybe he’d go for it. Did you talk him recently Loz Loz?

Mythras really is the perfect system for that setting.

Mythras really is the perfect system for that setting.

Wasn’t it based on Smylie’s Runequest campaign?

I don’t know what to make of Fuzion. Isn’t it a Hero System/Interlock house system hybrid?

Agree it'd be much better with Mythras. Failing that, it's own Legend OGL thing. I can see the logic in going for 5E in terms of sales, though.

Last edited:
i think it’d be foolish to make a system from the ground up unless it’s very simple and he’s got the resources to play test it properly.

That's a comicbook series that I've always meant to read. If they do a new RPG, hopefully they'll do a reprint of the graphic novels to go with it

I chatted with Mark a few years ago (quite a few; back in the RQ6 days) about Artesia, and the door is still open if Mark's interested. Always happy to talk.

They don’t license RQ: G do they, just the BRP SRD? He’d be way better off using the Mythras license.
Yeah...:thumbsup:

I chatted with Mark a few years ago (quite a few; back in the RQ6 days) about Artesia, and the door is still open if Mark's interested. Always happy to talk.
But as of now, can you confirm or deny that Smylie hasn't contacted you about starting the work of an "Mythras in Artesia" game:shade:?

They don’t license RQ: G do they, just the BRP SRD? He’d be way better off using the Mythras license.

as far as I know. Anything touching Glorantha has a different license. Anything touching Cthulhuhas a different license. BRPOGL is sufficiently barebones that it is tantamount to creating a new system, IMO. The primary benefit is the audience

As of now, Mark Smylie has not contacted us about using Mythras for Artesia, in any shape or form.

But I appreciate the enthusiasm.
Thank you:smile:. And yes, obviously we'd prefer an Artesia: Mythras edition!

You should let him know! :smile:
He's not in my contacts:smile:.
Maybe I should write a review for Artesia AKW on Drivethru...but I think I've already posted one!

I noticed that Mark Smylie did the cover of The Red Book of Magic for RuneQuest: Glorantha. Maybe he’s going to go with RQ:G for Artesia 2 after all.

View attachment 25357
While I've always liked his style in drawing, I'd prefer it if the game was to use Mythras:shade:!

And yes, I know everyone is surprised by that sudden reveal:grin:!

That’s a really nice cover.

Given the prospect of finishing the story is minimal, maybe he should skip around in the timeline.

So, it looks like the new edition of Artesia, Sword & Barrow, will be done with Runequest after all. This is from Mark Smylie's Patreon post of 1/3/21:
The covers that I have done recently for the folks at Chaosium and the Jonstown Compendium have helped precipitate a conversation about doing an edition of the RPG with rules based on and adapted from the new edition of Chaosium's RUNEQUEST, and the folks at Chaosium have kindly offered to publish it if I go in that direction. As the Known World was originally built as a RuneQuest setting, this is a natural fit that would feel like a homecoming, though the world and my thinking on how it works has changed a great deal since it was conceived, so there will need to be some tinkering with the rules set to make it all work (you can't go home again, after all).

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back