Lords of Gossamer - Is it Kaput?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Rogerdee

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
As per the title?
Are we getting anymore material

I checked Rite Publishing's site and DTRPG, and it looks like the last time they published anything for anything was December 31, 2019. Had to go about it that way because their actual website is next to useless - one of those quick "eh, good enough" jobs that just stopped getting updated at some point way back. Like it literally only has 2(of the over 20) Gossamer Worlds supplements listed at all. And I see unanswered questions - not even difficult questions; if you're the publisher, you'd know the answers kind of stuff - under some of their products, so it looks like they've either not gotten(or not paid attention to) their DTRPG notifications for at least a couple years.

So with the evidence at hand, I think the company is more or less dead(just alive enough to collect those DTRPG royalties, probably), and more material is likely not forthcoming unless someone else takes up the reins. I'm curious if this has to do with Pathfinder 2e, since they also look to have been a prolific producer of Pathfinder 1e material. 12 pages of search results for Rite Publishing, and tons of it are adventure paths and a Pathways "magazine" that ran for at least 50 issues.

I pre-ordered the game back in the day because the concept of an authorized successor to ADRP really intrigued me. Sadly, the setting just didn't grab me the way Zelazny's world did. I assume that much of my love of ADRP is simply Zelazny-nostalgia and not just the rules set.

The company founder passed away. His wife oversaw completion of their last kickstarter (since it had funded a few months before he died). I'm pretty sure that's why there is nothing new being released. His wife is probably focused on raising their daughter, as she was pregnant when her husband was killed in an auto accident

The company founder passed away. His wife oversaw completion of their last kickstarter (since it had funded a few months before he died). I'm pretty sure that's why there is nothing new being released. His wife is probably focused on raising their daughter, as she was pregnant when her husband was killed in an auto accident
Steven D. Russell? If you go to Rite Publishing's "online store" page, you'll notice that a limited selection of their products are available directly from them with 25% of the proceeds going to his daughter's education fund. That also explains the unanswered questions and lack of site updates after a certain point. I was not expecting that at all.

Steven D. Russell? If you go to Rite Publishing's "online store" page, you'll notice that a limited selection of their products are available directly from them with 25% of the proceeds going to his daughter's education fund. That also explains the unanswered questions and lack of site updates after a certain point. I was not expecting that at all.
Yeah, after the initial news broke on what happened, the only info I got was updates on the last Gossamer KS. His wife made sure it was completed for the people who pledged, but since then, it's been silent. I'm sure she's been focused on raising their daughter, who is probably around 4 now

Yeah, after the initial news broke on what happened, the only info I got was updates on the last Gossamer KS. His wife made sure it was completed for the people who pledged, but since then, it's been silent. I'm sure she's been focused on raising their daughter, who is probably around 4 now
And one of the things going around was that even though he died his Kickstarter obligations were handled better than some other creators.

I know a lot of the people in the Amber community rallied around her to help bring a lot of the stretch goals home.

And one of the things going around was that even though he died his Kickstarter obligations were handled better than some other creators.

I know a lot of the people in the Amber community rallied around her to help bring a lot of the stretch goals home.
Same thing happened with the last Talislanta KS. How is it the dead deliver better than the living?

Same thing happened with the last Talislanta KS. How is it the dead deliver better than the living?
Actually on that remark - there were several Stewart Wieck campaigns that took a while to deliver (some are still awaiting), but there's more forward progress on them than one would expect considering he passed. It seems that they had good collaborators- they also had a good track record before the tragedy, so that probably spurred them on to make sure their name wasn't dragged through the mud.

What Miranda (Steve's wife) did was quite remarkable, delivering the KS when she'd lost her husband. Very humbling how she went about it with such grace and dignity.
And having an infant at the time. I think it was a form of closure for her- something that her husband had been so involved in, that she could finish it for him.

On the LoGaS Facebook page, they have announced that there Rite Publishing has no plans to continue making any products for the line.

On the LoGaS Facebook page, they have announced that there Rite Publishing has no plans to continue making any products for the line.
Correction: They have some projects in the works, but no real timeline. Their forums have appaprently been deactivated indefinitely.

I've always been intrigued by the premise... Bould anyone tell me a bit about the diceless system, and how does it work? Thanks.

I've always been intrigued by the premise... Bould anyone tell me a bit about the diceless system, and how does it work? Thanks.
You have four stats, Strength, Endurance, Warfare & Psyche

Warfare covers your ability to fight.

There are technically no skill lists, but can be imported from elsewhere as needed (I do this).

Chargen is point based and usually done by bidding - each player putting up so many points for each stat (secretly to the GM). The highest gets ranked. Then after that you can purchase powers, as well as various Traits, split into Idiosyncrtatic Abilities and Powers - which also come with expensive transferral costs.

There is also the pure point based buy, which I strongly prefer, removing the bidding entirely.

Magic can change on each gossamer world, and is largely ignored as each player could be assumed to be most powerful person from where they originate from. But once they walk the gossamer worlds, where physics and metaphysics can vary magic becomes irrelevant; although Sorcery works everywhere. But can take hours of your day as you have to prepare and maintain spells. I ignore this rule so that you can literally get a Doctor Strange type character!

Powers are split into; Sorcery, Eidolon (Order), Umbra (Chaos), and Void (consumptive - npc's only), and Grand Stair powers. There are a few other abilities, but generally pale to the main ones. Powers are split into Basic and Master. These were further expounded upon in the Long Walk add on book. Powers tend to use psyche, such that those with strong scores may resist you, although some powers may also be resisted using endurance (death spells).

As there are no dice, the games runs very narratively, and allows for PC's to get into equal strength match with Superman.

As a whole it is an truly awesome game, and really does need some add-on stuff. I have started adding in powers from Mutants and Masterminds for fun factor.

Cosmologically speaking, there is the Grand / Eternal Stair - similar to that from DnD / Planescape, only it allows you to walk not just to other dimensions, but also other worlds (Planes).

There have been innumerable hacks for this game, where stat levels were elevated to cosmic level (players are not allowed this).

I re-wrote a lot of the main powers such as Sorcery, Order, Chaos, and Void etc as also wanted a Nabu (DC Comics) type feel.

Last edited:
You have four stats, Strength, Endurance, Warfare & Psyche

Warfare covers your ability to fight.

There are technically no skill lists, but can be imported from elsewhere as needed (I do this).

Chargen is point based and usually done by bidding - each player putting up so many points for each stat (secretly to the GM). The highest gets ranked. Then after that you can purchase powers, as well as various Traits, split into Idiosyncrtatic Abilities and Powers - which also come with expensive transferral costs.

There is also the pure point based buy, which I strongly prefer, removing the bidding entirely.

Magic can change on each gossamer world, and is largely ignored as each player could be assumed to be most powerful person from where they originate from. But once they walk the gossamer worlds, where physics and metaphysics can vary magic becomes irrelevant; although Sorcery works everywhere. But can take hours of your day as you have to prepare and maintain spells. I ignore this rule so that you can literally get a Doctor Strange type character!

Powers are split into; Sorcery, Eidolon (Order), Umbra (Chaos), and Void (consumptive - npc's only), and Grand Stair powers. There are a few other abilities, but generally pale to the main ones. Powers are split into Basic and Master. These were further expounded upon in the Long Walk add on book. Powers tend to use psyche, such that those with strong scores may resist you, although some powers may also be resisted using endurance (death spells).

As there are no dice, the games runs very narratively, and allows for PC's to get into equal strength match with Superman.

As a whole it is an truly awesome game, and really does need some add-on stuff. I have started adding in powers from Mutants and Masterminds for fun factor.

Cosmologically speaking, there is the Grand / Eternal Stair - similar to that from DnD / Planescape, only it allows you to walk not just to other dimensions, but also other worlds (Planes).

There have been innumerable hacks for this game, where stat levels were elevated to cosmic level (players are not allowed this).

I re-wrote a lot of the main powers such as Sorcery, Order, Chaos, and Void etc as also wanted a Nabu (DC Comics) type feel.
Thanks for the detailed overview. I just picked up the pdf it sounds like a fantastic concept. :smile:

Can you point us to any of the standout ones at all, please?
I have tried to find a few, for instance thee is a Grant / Ethan game of LoG going nigh five years, the contents of which were hosted on the Rite forums, which are kaput. Bruce, the GM, has helped Miranda fix a site a couple of times I believe.

Anyhow, there was the Amazing Liminal Chronicles, it was run on Google docs, so i will post some details and chargen.

I will see about finding other stuff.

Last edited:
And a post from Miranda Russell that I missed:

Good Afternoon,

Recently, there was a post made that provided incorrect information. This is to address that and any concerns there may be.

1. Rite Publishing Forums: they have been at this juncture deactivated. We have not decided if/when we will bring it back online or if we will create a new forum that is a better option for Rite Publishing. This is correct. As a side note, I do want to personally thank Bruce Ralston who has been a great support partner for LoGaS and a huge advocate for the game and as well for his personal support to me in navigating technology. He's amazing!

2. LoGaS Production: Yes, we know its been a long time since anything new was produced. Yes, we have works in progress at various stages, No, we do not know when we will be able to complete these projects. LoGaS has a long standing history of producing quality content and we will not let our desire to provide new content supersede our demands for a quality product. We will wait until we have the right people in place to finish these works and/or create new works.

Miranda Russell
Rite Publishing

So ... not Kaput!

I have been thinking about this quite a lot.

So my idea is that if I was to run a normal SWADE game I would use Idiosyncratic powers to mimic abilities.

But then a lightbulb went off, and I thought why not mix Savage Worlds Supers (SWADE), with Lords of Gossamer? It would drive down the costs for chargen, and likely make things a whole lot easier - while keeping that LoG vibe.

May well give this a whirl at some point soon once I work out costs incorporation and stuff.

I've been thinking about LoGaS as well, but I have a hankering to adapt it to the PDQ rules set, 'cos some of my players struggled a bit with the Diceless stuff

I've been thinking about LoGaS as well, but I have a hankering to adapt it to the PDQ rules set, 'cos some of my players struggled a bit with the Diceless stuff
I find players struggle most with transferrals.

Okay, so still hacking this using SWADE.

Strength
Endurance
Reflexes (New!): I know Warfare used to cover this, but as this is more the general level for most LoG games, I figured it should work.
Psyche
Fighting
Shooting

I split Warfare up, to show that some characters will be better at one or the other. Stats are levelled upon the below with a 1/1 cost.

0Average adult
1Above average
2Well above average
3Gifted
4Athletic
5Olympic
6Peak
7Paragon
8Enhanced (MCU Cap)
10Superhuman (Sif)

Abilities
Both qualities and talents are generally flat costs, although some are modifiable for area of effect. Powers cost per level.

Qualities: These represent items of great power and utility.

Talents: Talents may be considered partial powers.

Powers: These represent abilities far outstripping qualities and talents.

For both Qualities and Talents I kept the costs from The Long Walk, although I did insert some SWADE Supers examples.

Qualities-
Minor (1): The ability is minor and usually doesn’t affect another (sonar, infrared vision, etc.)

Intermediate (2): The ability is significant or has a minor effect on someone else (paralyzing venom, water breathing, etc.)

Major (4). The ability is major and can have significant effects (intangible, invisible, etc.)

Doesn’t Breathe (1)
Doesn’t Eat (1)
Doesn’t Sleep (1)
Aura / Damage Field (2)
Broadcast (2):
Healing: Hours (1), Night (2), Seconds (4)
Heightened Senses (1)
Immortal (1)
Interface (2)
Resistance (1, 2, 4)
Scan (2)

Talents-
Lesser (1), Intermediate (3), Greater (5), Other (8+)

Insubstantial (5): Fluid, Gaseous, Energy, Incorporeal

* Speak Language (1): They can speak any language. If it’s one they’ve never heard before they become conversational in minutes and fluent in a few hours.

* This is inferior to Exegesis

Powers
Armour-
Claws (1)
Swords & Arrows (2)
Firearms (4)
Energy Weapons (6)
Lightsabre (8)
Iron Man / Heavy Weapons / MDC (10)
Damage (12):

Damage-
Hardened (1):
Double (2):
Deadly (4):

Penetrating (8)

Range-
Range (1): 10 feet
Range (2): 100 feet
Range (3): 1,000 feet
Range (4): 1 mile
Range (5): 5 miles
Range (6): 20 miles
Range (7): 200 miles
Range (8): 2,000 miles, continental
Range (9): Planet
Range (10): Earth to Moon, 200,000 miles
Range (11): 2 million miles
Range (16): Solar system
Search Worlds (8):

Struggling with the Damage section a bit.

Cantrips (1)
Power Words (3)
True Name (3)
Affliction (2)
Altered Form (2): Founder (4), Shoggoth (5)
Armour (1)
Control (5): Energy
Control (5): Matter
Control (5): Mind
Environmental Control (1, 2, 4)
Force Field (1)
Immunity (10)
Regeneration: Hours (2), Night (5), Seconds (10)
Shape Change (3)
Sorcery (5)
Primeval (10): This is akin to cosmic or quantum energy.
Prime (10): Order, Chaos, Void

I have done away with Transferral costs. I know there is nothing stopping someone from everyone being a Super, but not everyone chooses the same kind of hero. Now I know that I could have just used SWADE Supers in full, but I wanted to keep some of the main aspects of Lords of Gossamer without too much alteration - hence keeping Talents and Qualities.

Thoughts?
And it would likely need playtesting too..

Last edited:
Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back