Loving it Here

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I've heard good arrangements of it but it is just generic 19th century pomp (although I think Advance, Australia Fair is worse on a whole other level),. There are versions with verses in Maori that work a bit better.
The ones I've heard are often one female singer with Maori verses with little instrumental backing.

The ones I've heard are often one female singer with Maori verses with little instrumental backing.
If it's the one with all the landscape shots in the video then it's one that TVNZ used to play when they shut down for the night.

I do like Russia's national anthem; it's really quite a powerful choral piece.
Russia has superior national-anthem technology. Every national anthem they’ve had since God Save the Tsar has been top 5% for stirring tunes.Including the Internationale, which rocks heavy stones.

France and the USA also have splendid, highly-recognisable signature tunes.

Pokarekare Ana is a classic Maori song that often gets similar treatment. Take a look on the interwebs for a performance by Kiri te Kanawa or Haley Westenra. Haley Westenra also does a cover of Wuthering Heights that I mistook for Kate Bush the first few times I heard it.

In 1977 we chose it (ahead of Waltzing Matilda and Caroline Carleton’s Song of Australia) in a national plebiscite organised by Malcolm Fraser, but as a “national song”. God Save the Queen remained the official national anthem until 1984.

I think the people who voted for our dreadful current national dirge cannot have known how much the lyrics grovel to the UK. At yhe time of its choice it had lines about Captain Cook’s “true British courage”, about the British flag being “the standard of the brave”, about how we love Britain with all its faults, about fighting invaders to prove we’re still British, and “Britannia rule the wave!”. It was an awful choice. The government and the Australia Day Council have had to change the words about five times to remove sexist, racist, and grovelative bits, and as you say the tune is a dragging arrhythmic dirge.
I actually meant to type 'late 1970s' (not late 1960s), but thanks for the clarification

Yeah it's not really a true anthem for most of us

Kiwi one is actually very nice in the slower version not done at stadiums.
I'll have you know one of my South African co-workers liked our anthem because it's a prayer for peace rather than the 19th century equivalent of a hiphop diss track.

Pokarekare Ana is a classic Maori song that often gets similar treatment. Take a look on the interwebs for a performance by Kiri te Kanawa or Haley Westenra. Haley Westenra also does a cover of Wuthering Heights that I mistook for Kate Bush the first few times I heard it.
I prefer Poi E because if I danced, I could dance to it.

It's hard to beat something kickass like 'The Star Spangled Banner'.

Like, I never heard AC/DC perform 'Advance Australia Fair', yet Jimi Hendrix was able to rock out the USA anthem, that's my definition of a kickass anthem!

Runners up are Born In The USA (chorus only), and Danger Zone (guitar rift only, just to promote the Air Force) heh heh, but yeah I admire The Star Spangled Banner, and my space in the world isn't even a star on that flag!

(...yet..)

:grin:

Last edited:
I'll have you know one of my South African co-workers liked our anthem because it's a prayer for peace rather than the 19th century equivalent of a hiphop diss track.

I prefer Poi E because if I danced, I could dance to it.
For those who don't know what this is, the Patea Maori Club (excuse the macron) was exactly what it sounds like, and they did Poi E, which went viral about the middle of the 1980s.

Fun fact: It was run by a chap called Dalvinius Prime (sounds like a Transformer if you ask me). I also have it on good authority that he had chronic gastritis. Note the traditional synth and drum machine backing track.

Last edited:
You may possibly have to be Australasian to know this, but 'Slice of Heaven' would have to be a decent runner up for the NZ anthem . It's a little rippa :grin: :thumbsup:

Last edited:
You may possibly have to be Australasian to know this, but 'Slice of Heaven' would have to be a decent runner up for the NZ anthem . It's a little rippa :grin: :thumbsup:

There's also 'Bliss', written for an Australian audience. Th' Dudes were impressed by how they could drink!

My players are wildly enthusiastic for Carcosa and I have the Pub to thank for inspiration and guidance. I stepped out of my comfort zone on pretty much every front, from the system and setting to the campaign format.

Last edited:
I find myself liking the Canadian national anthem when I’m watching hockey.

I'm fond of it, as a kid we used to sing it and 'God Save the Queen' at every assembly. I remember wondering who the hell was this Queen? After elementary we didn't seem to ever sing 'God Save the Queen' again, I assume it fell out of favour as too old fashioned.

Was reading a thread on another site I’ve been on for a while and realized how out of touch I was with the community and how their moderation was not consistent, even if one would think I agreed with their viewpoint.

I just shut the window after 15 or 20 years. Just no value there anymore.

but here I get purple ketchup, so we are all good.

Was reading a thread on another site I’ve been on for a while and realized how out of touch I was with the community and how their moderation was not consistent, even if one would think I agreed with their viewpoint.

I just shut the window after 15 or 20 years. Just no value there anymore.

but here I get purple ketchup, so we are all good.
Lermfish?

not sure i understand this.
Then it's probably not relevant. I was wondering if that was related to the moderation mentioned above.

I did something similar myself a couple of months ago... I'll miss the place a little after so many years, but it's better to recognize when it's time to move on, I think, than to stick around a place that's become uncomfortable. Even if you've been there for years.

Now, back to my lurking. And dodging of geese. :shade:

I did something similar myself a couple of months ago... I'll miss the place a little after so many years, but it's better to recognize when it's time to move on, I think, than to stick around a place that's become uncomfortable. Even if you've been there for years.

Now, back to my lurking. And dodging of geese. :shade:
Welcome to the board, Brightfires!

Then it's probably not relevant. I was wondering if that was related to the moderation mentioned above.
not that I'm aware of, but sometimes i miss obvious things :smile:

not that I'm aware of, but sometimes i miss obvious things :smile:
You didn't miss much. The above mentioned person was banned on TBP for poorly chosen words followed by I guess PMing the mods in a snarky manner. Only reason I thought it might be relevant is the thread referenced Mythras a number of times which I know summons you like saying Hastur's name.

You didn't miss much. The above mentioned person was banned on TBP for poorly chosen words followed by I guess PMing the mods in a snarky manner. Only reason I thought it might be relevant is the thread referenced Mythras a number of times which I know summons you like saying Hastur's name.
Hastur.jpg

Welcome to the board, Brightfires!

Thanks. I've been lurking around for awhile, but haven't had much to say.

Even though there's another map-maker here already, I've been debating restarting my scanned maps thread over here. So, that may change at least a little. I still have a stack of scans I never posted to the original thread over in the kingdom of purple.

Even though there's another map-maker here already, I've been debating restarting my scanned maps thread over here. So, that may change at least a little. I still have a stack of scans I never posted to the original thread over in the kingdom of purple.
By all means do. There's a community here and folks might get some mileage from it.

It's hard to beat something kickass like 'The Star Spangled Banner'.

Like, I never heard AC/DC perform 'Advance Australia Fair', yet Jimi Hendrix was able to rock out the USA anthem, that's my definition of a kickass anthem!

Runners up are Born In The USA (chorus only), and Danger Zone (guitar rift only, just to promote the Air Force) heh heh, but yeah I admire The Star Spangled Banner, and my space in the world isn't even a star on that flag!

(...yet..)

:grin:
Plus the tuneof The Star Spangled Banner was originally the tune of a drinking song...

There's definitely room for more than one map maker. Post away I say!

I’ve always hated men’s sandals (even when I was a kid) and I don’t know why.
you should have been wearing kids sandals not mens as a kid. Unless you have enormous feet like my cousin. Then mens is the right choice.

you should have been wearing kids sandals not mens as a kid. Unless you have enormous feet like my cousin. Then mens is the right choice.

I do have pretty big feet.

I’ve always been a sock person myself. Always felt bare feet were ... unnatural.

Only time I’ve worn sandals were at the beach, and they have to be the kind with a strap for the heel so they don’t flap around all loose and shit. Feet coverings are meant to be snug, goddammit.

I actually have a foot skin condition (psoriasis) so I almost never have bare feet. So yeah I would wear sandals and socks but I live in Seattle so for some odd reason that's not only OK is normal.

Welcome to the Pub, Jamfke Jamfke

Honestly, the Pub is my favorite place on the internet.

My two favorite places in the entire world are RPG Pub and the Great State of New Jersey

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back