Magic

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

ffilz

Legendary Member
Reaction score
My only "requirement" is the magic system and world are internally consistent...and take into account human nature...and do not require deus ex DM to resolve inconsistencies.

#1 on my list is magic with permanent effect OR a spell that lasts so long they can be "rememorized" (or the systems equivalent) such they are in effect perpetual. For example, if there is alight spell that results in a permanent light emitting item...then why are not entire cities so lit, why wouldn't every military unit have such light?

#2 on my list is logical consequences of magic, the typical D&D polymorph spell is in the top of my list but all pales in comparison to the D&D troll :smile:

Personally I like magic to be tactically useful, not that much more powerful than mundane means (or perhaps less) but more flexible.
You should take a look at magic in Cold Iron:

There are actually quite a number of spells that a magic user can maintain indefinitely (aiming at #1 on your list), and yea, military units probably have some spell casters maintaining some of those spells. But magic in Cold Iron is pretty personal or small areas of effect. So yea, the military has some scouts and patrols with some spells maintained on them, and that would have an effect, but I don't think it totally changes military strategy and tactics.

From the perspective of PCs, the magic is mostly tactical with some strategic choices, actually some nice choices.

Then there's how magic items play in, with most magic items being (mostly) non-permanent (single use potions, "charged" items that may be used several times or so) and also not certain in the case of charged items, there aren't the problems that one could find with D&D magic items (and definitely NOT the issues that could be found using D&D 3.x magic item creation...). Oh, and also other than potions, most magic items require the user to supply the power. Fighters get a bit of a nod from the magic system though - the ONE permanent magic items that is low cost (and thus available to lower level PCs) also doesn't require being powered - weapon and armor enchantments. Your fighter can have his +2 sword...

lategamer

Writer, Filmmaker, Sailor, Irishman
Reaction score
Well no, the counterpoint between being born a Wizard or a Muggle is a petty strong plot point, but that's not even half of how Harry fulfills the trope - besides the Mark of Destiny trope, he's clearly distinguished as someone unique and special within the Wizarding world - "The Boy Who Lived". Every plot revolves specifically around him, every major character specifically tailors their lives to protecting or destroying him. His "special destiny" is THE majot plotpoint of the entire book/film series.

He is the protagonist.

In magical society, he's not extraordinary. He's not the most powerful, not the most learned, not the smartest. He is targeted by Voldemort.

And you have to wonder that if V had done things a little differently (and been less panto-evil), things might have worked out quite well.

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Most people don’t encounter extraordinary situations.
No, but some do - which means that given the number of people on Earth, lots of perfectly ordinary people encounter such situations, probably every day.
And most of those that survive them...go on to return to their perfectly ordinary lives:thumbsup:.

lategamer

Reaction score
No, but some do - which means that given the number of people on Earth, lots of perfectly ordinary people encounter such situations, probably every day.
And most of those that survive them...go on to return to their perfectly ordinary lives:thumbsup:.

Again, I don't think we have compatible terms of reference here. And it's probably not even within the scope of the discussion because I would argue we do not have truly extraordinary situations. We don't have magic, superheroes, aliens, killer robots.

I mean, what's an extraordinary situation? Being involved in a heist? What's the choice after that? Being the sole survivor of a plane crash? What's your definition here?

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Again, I don't think we have compatible terms of reference here. And it's probably not even within the scope of the discussion because I would argue we do not have truly extraordinary situations. We don't have magic, superheroes, aliens, killer robots.
So what? Do you think that there aren't people that are, for lack of better word, PC-like (for better or worse):grin:?

I mean, what's an extraordinary situation?
"I know it when I see it":thumbsup:.

Being involved in a heist? What's the choice after that? Being the sole survivor of a plane crash? What's your definition here?
The former would depend on the heist (robbing a random mark on the street is technically a heist, just not really hard or spectacular - robbing the achives of the Vatican, however, would count).
The latter, yes, totally.
Or surviving an assault by a serial killer, or whatever else that is dangerous enough to put your continued existence at risk (but not unsurvivable), doesn't happen every day, and might happen to anyone:shade:.

Last edited:

TristramEvans

The Right Hand of Doom
Administrator
Reaction score
He is the protagonist.

In magical society, he's not extraordinary. He's not the most powerful, not the most learned, not the smartest. He is targeted by Voldemort.

If Ron Weasley had been the protagonist, your argument might have more weight. He was a regular boy who happened to be raised in a "magical society". He didn't have special powers no one else had, a special "birthmark of Destiny", wasn't magically rich, wasn't instantly good at made-up sports he never played before, everything significant that happened didn't revolve around him. Instead the "magical society" pretty much exists as part of Harry's Chosen One fantasy.

lategamer

Reaction score
So what? Do you think that there aren't people that are, for lack of better word, PC-like (for better or worse):grin:?

They're few and far between....hardly ordinary people in the first instance.

Or surviving an assault by a serial killer, or whatever else that is dangerous enough to put your continued existence at risk (but not unsurvivable), doesn't happen every day, and might happen to anyone:shade:.

I am trying to understand how this works in a game instance though. you survived a serial killer attack....and then what? You fight crime? WAs the survival luck? Skill? Skill on someone else's part?

David Johansen

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Rather, there are plenty of heroes but they're just playing in a hard core game with a killer DM. Part of the problem is that people who beat the odds once or twice get comfortable with taking risks and the dice eventually get them.

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Reaction score
You're understimating those numbers by a lot.
And either way, most of those same people then return to their perfectly ordinary lives...which was my point:grin:!

I am trying to understand how this works in a game instance though.
Depends on the kind of game that you're running.

you survived a serial killer attack....and then what? You fight crime?
Why would you, unless you're a cop?
Let me repeat: and then most of those same people return to their perfectly ordinary lives (which was my point exactly:shade:).

WAs the survival luck? Skill? Skill on someone else's part?
Yes?
I mean, if I could answer that question for all those events I haven't seen, I'd be waiting for my Nobel Prize now. As it stands, though, I don't see getting one of those as a likely development:thumbsup:.

arjunstc

Legendary Member
Reaction score
I mean, what's an extraordinary situation? Being involved in a heist? What's the choice after that? Being the sole survivor of a plane crash? What's your definition here?
There was like a whole Bruce Willis and Samuel L Jackson movie based on this...

Cthulhu Mythos - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com