MARTIAL ARTS MOVIES

BedrockBrendan

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Anyway, can anyone tell me about the Brave Archer movies? I've never seen them before, and I was wondering how good they are. I mean, I pretty much like everything I've seen by Shaw Brothers, but some are obviously better than others.
I quite like them. They have to condense the story a lot and make key changes to keep the movie intact in a short span (it is three movies but the story is huge). Alexander Fu Sheng works well as Guo Jing. Huang Rong is played by a different actress in the first movie than the second and third (but both actresses are good). I think if you are a fan of the story, the biggest let down is they breeze through the early part of the story. It is a chang cheh movie but he is definitely trying to do a proper wuxia movie in my opinion with this one. My suggestion is try the first movie, and if you like it watch the next two (I think it really picks up with 2 and 3). The fourth movie (Brave Archer and His Mate) is really the beginning of Return of Condor Heroes (and the actors get all swapped around for that now). You don't really need to see that one.

urbwar

Legendary Member
Reaction score
I quite like them. They have to condense the story a lot and make key changes to keep the movie intact in a short span (it is three movies but the story is huge). Alexander Fu Sheng works well as Guo Jing. Huang Rong is played by a different actress in the first movie than the second and third (but both actresses are good). I think if you are a fan of the story, the biggest let down is they breeze through the early part of the story. It is a chang cheh movie but he is definitely trying to do a proper wuxia movie in my opinion with this one. My suggestion is try the first movie, and if you like it watch the next two (I think it really picks up with 2 and 3). The fourth movie (Brave Archer and His Mate) is really the beginning of Return of Condor Heroes (and the actors get all swapped around for that now). You don't really need to see that one.
Thanks for the info. I'll probably go ahead and buy the first one this week and watch it. if I liked it, I'll get the next two. At least these seem to be all subtitled from the previews on Youtube (where as Five Venoms was dubbed). I hate the inconsistency they have of some being subbed, some dubbed, and not options for both. Especially for some of the better known films like Five Venoms.

AndreasDavour

Reaction score
Alexander Fu Sheng's character is really obnoxious, but maybe that's true of the literary source as well. Apart from that I felt the first movie was ok, but not great.

BedrockBrendan

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I'll probably go ahead and buy the first one this week and watch it. if I liked it, I'll get the next two. At least these seem to be all subtitled from the previews on Youtube (where as Five Venoms was dubbed). I hate the inconsistency they have of some being subbed, some dubbed, and not options for both. Especially for some of the better known films like Five Venoms.
One thing I will say, while this film stars most of the venoms I believe, I tend not to think of it as a venom movie (just in case that is your reason for wanting to see it). I think because it really is overshadowed by the story and the fact that the main characters are Guo Jing and Huang Rong (not played by venoms). They play great supporting roles though.

BedrockBrendan

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Alexander Fu Sheng's character is really obnoxious, but maybe that's true of the literary source as well. Apart from that I felt the first movie was ok, but not great.
It is hard to take the character over the course of three films like they do in the television shows. He is supposed to be a very simple minded, rather dim-witted, but virtuous character. But he is also supposed to grow more in reputation and stature as the story goes on. But even by the Return of Condor Heroes series, which takes place years later, he is still rather unintelligent and easily fooled by others. Huang Rong is the one who is clever and witty. They work well as a heroic couple. I think Alexander Fu Sheng has a particular way of playing that type of character, and it is possible you might like other presentations. The books are great. I think because it all plays out over a longer period of time, and you are imagining how he says what he says, that the character is more grounded. He has a pretty cool backstory too, being raised by Mongols and being part of Genghis Khan's court (there is a big plot thread in the book where he is torn because he is promised to marry the Khan's daughter, but wants to marry Huang Rong: but he is a man of his word and struggles to find a solution).

AndreasDavour

Reaction score
I will get around to read the stories one of these days, as they are on the shelf behind me, but I have Gu Long novels to read! ;)

urbwar

Legendary Member
Reaction score
One thing I will say, while this film stars most of the venoms I believe, I tend not to think of it as a venom movie (just in case that is your reason for wanting to see it). I think because it really is overshadowed by the story and the fact that the main characters are Guo Jing and Huang Rong (not played by venoms). They play great supporting roles though.
My main interest is because I honestly haven't seen many of the films Alexander Fu Shung made. I have a bad vhs copy of Eight Diagram Pole Fighter, but I can't think of any others I've seen with him (I'm sure if I check his listing on IMDB, I'll see others) at the moment. I've read good things about Brave Archer, and having members of the Venom Mob is always a plus (or Gordon Liu and/or Ti Lung). Mostly it's for Alexander though

BedrockBrendan

Legendary Member
Reaction score
My main interest is because I honestly haven't seen many of the films Alexander Fu Shung made. I have a bad vhs copy of Eight Diagram Pole Fighter, but I can't think of any others I've seen with him (I'm sure if I check his listing on IMDB, I'll see others) at the moment. I've read good things about Brave Archer, and having members of the Venom Mob is always a plus (or Gordon Liu and/or Ti Lung). Mostly it's for Alexander though
My favorite Alexander Fu Sheng movie is Heroes Shed No Tears (but I think that isn't a typical Alexander Fu Sheng movie). He is known for kind of getting into Jim Carey like territory but also being able to shift back from that to something dramatic and moving). Have you seen Disciples of Shaolin ? (that is a pretty good one). The Chinatown Kid is also a favorite. I love Eight Diagram Pole Fighter.

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Reaction score
I hate to interrupt the movies chat, but I'm going to forget until tomorrow...

So, how about a weekly article? Everyone posts a clip that s/he found interesting for some reason, so the others can comment (or not). And of course, you don't have to post a clip every week!

Here's my contribution for this week:

urbwar

Legendary Member
Reaction score
So I just bought Brave Archer in HD on Youtube. I'll likely watch it over my four day weekend. I had a rough day yesterday, so I need a day or two to recover after my last shift tonight. But I'm looking forward to seeing it

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Reaction score
I hate to interrupt the movies chat, but I'm going to forget until tomorrow...

So, how about a weekly article? Everyone posts a clip that s/he found interesting for some reason, so the others can comment (or not). And of course, you don't have to post a clip every week!

Here's my contribution for this week:
...and I managed to post that in the wrong martial arts related thread. Sorry, guys. I keep forgetting there's TWO of those:shade:!

Cthulhu Mythos - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com