Marvel Comics

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
My intro to comics and Marvel is Journey in to Mystery/Thor and Conan. Simultaneously to my intro to D&D so that's where it all started. A normal human would have kept growing from there but I just said "Screw it this is good enough for me!"

I think Spider-Girl was the first series where it was if OMD never happened. I think RYV is just an alternate telling of that. I think DeFalco and Frenz came to appreciate the marriage more after working on the series. I know Frenz preferred Peter being single before, probably because he worked on the main title up until about 1987-88.

Yes, I think everyone is younger in RYV. To be honest with you, I don’t like Dan Slott that much so I’ve tended to stay away from what he’s written.

Yes, I think everyone is younger in RYV. To be honest with you, I don’t like Dan Slott that much so I’ve tended to stay away from what he’s written.

I'm not familiar with him or his work.

RYV seems to have May Parker as a child, at least from the promotional covers I've seen ( assuming that's the same May Parker)

That's Annie. There was a discussion between her and Mary-Jane when they first met Spider-Girl.

That's Annie. There was a discussion between her and Mary-Jane when they first met Spider-Girl.

Sounds convoluted - but please, no spoilers, as I said, I'm thinking of picking this one up.

Unless you think it would be a soul-numbing heartbreaking experience for this old Spidey fan. Can't take many more of those

I enjoyed Dan Slott's run on She Hulk. His playful style suited the character. I could not get into his Silver Surfer though.

Someday I will have to check out his Fantastic Four reboot. I used get Marvel Digital specail offer codes frequently enough to occassionally catch up, but nothing have come through in a while.

Sounds convoluted - but please, no spoilers, as I said, I'm thinking of picking this one up.

Unless you think it would be a soul-numbing heartbreaking experience for this old Spidey fan. Can't take many more of those

Yes, please tell us of this without spoiling but warn us if it breaks our hearts.

My heart was already broken in 2007. When it comes to Spidey it can’t be re-broken. The character is tarnished until OMD is removed from continuity.

Yes, please tell us of this without spoiling but warn us if it breaks our hearts.

It ends, way way too soon. I am not a fan of its timeline, but the stories themselves are good within it. Some really good moments that are going to stay with me forever. Didn't really create a lot of my very particular fanwank, but this is the run that made me realize a lot of the things I wanted from Marvel.

lol, so that was a minor debacle, trying to order Renew Your Vows, until I finally realized that there were two series - which the trade paperbacks and Amazon (and Marvel's website, and every online comic retailer I checked) completely failed to mention or identify. An initial 5 issue series by Slott & Kubert, and then a much longer follow up spearheaded by Gerry Conway.

What helped even less is that the original trade of the original miniseries is apparently OOP at the moment. LOL, and I wouldn't have noticed this except that the other Renew Your Vows volume 1, which I initially took for a reprint, didn't have the cover I liked of the earlier graphic novel, so initially I was determined to get (what I thought was) the first printing just because I liked the cover better. And that ended up taking more effort than you might believe, short of paying triple the price for a copy on Ebay that wouldn't arrive for around 8 weeks.

LOL, so my impatience and persnickitiness over cover art saved me from a few mistakes.

In the end, I grabbed vol 1, 3, and 4 (of the second series) from Amazon (and the complete Spider-Ham volume 1, with a pre-ordeer for volume 2 of that coming in February), and managed to grab Renew Your Vows volume 1 (the first series) from a online comicshop in Ontario. Volume 2 of the second series is supposed to be back in stock on Amazon on the 28th.

Last edited:
Since I don't especially desire to own more comics in physical format (one of my spare bedrooms is mostly filled with boxes of comics already), these days I do most of my Marvel reading via my Marvel Unlimited subscription. It does mean I have to wait six months to read the latest stories, but that doesn't bother me, especially as there's a massive amount of old stuff on there, too. To me, it's totally worth the $9.99/month, considering cover price for one single issue of a new Marvel comic is usually $3.99.

Anyway, I really enjoy the Silver Surfer, especially the 1987 series.

But my favorite version of the Silver Surfer is the version from the cartoon The Super Hero Squad Show, where he's a happy go-lucky guy with a surfer-dude accent, in contrast to his usual morose space-philosopher characterization.

This makes me very sad. I admit I read far fewer titles than I used to--I'd stopped long before one more day, everything but Astro City. Picking the occasional trade or the like (essential, epic collections) but the current run on Amazing Spider-Man, has been very good and is fixing a lot of that very stupid idea. (Not completely, but he seems to be dating MJ.)

I should amend this to - I stopped collecting monthlies.

I still occasionally buy TPB's. But i'm super-selective.

I just got the Metabarons complete edition (hardback). All of the Grendel Omnibuses, for instance. But Marvel and DC? Barely any. The quality just isn't up to par mostly. There are some shining exceptions - Brubaker's stuff is quite good. But with the proliferation of creators hellbent on putting their ideologies overtly over their work - or because they're just bad writers (which I suspect go hand-in-hand for philosophical reasons).

Ultimately I blame their editorial departments for not taking good custodianship of the Marvel Universe itself. They act like bureaucrats doing a job, rather than being the caretakers of an ongoing line of shared fiction which their job is to curate.

Ultimately I blame their editorial departments for not taking good custodianship of the Marvel Universe itself. They act like bureaucrats doing a job, rather than being the caretakers of an ongoing line of shared fiction which their job is to curate.
Hmm, I wonder what Jim Shooter is up to these days...

I should amend this to - I stopped collecting monthlies.

I still occasionally buy TPB's. But i'm super-selective.

I just got the Metabarons complete edition (hardback). All of the Grendel Omnibuses, for instance. But Marvel and DC? Barely any. The quality just isn't up to par mostly. There are some shining exceptions - Brubaker's stuff is quite good. But with the proliferation of creators hellbent on putting their ideologies overtly over their work - or because they're just bad writers (which I suspect go hand-in-hand for philosophical reasons).

Off-topic but I love the MetaBarons, my favourite of the Jordorowsky comics.

I'm a big Brubaker fan but find his superhero work tends to pale next to his noir crime comics but that may just be a matter of taste as I really dig crime comics.

Last edited:
lol, so that was a minor debacle, trying to order Renew Your Vows, until I finally realized that there were two series - which the trade paperbacks and Amazon (and Marvel's website, and every online comic retailer I checked) completely failed to mention or identify. An initial 5 issue series by Slott & Kubert, and then a much longer follow up spearheaded by Gerry Conway.

What helped even less is that the original trade of the original miniseries is apparently OOP at the moment. LOL, and I wouldn't have noticed this except that the other Renew Your Vows volume 1, which I initially took for a reprint, didn't have the cover I liked of the earlier graphic novel, so initially I was determined to get (what I thought was) the first printing just because I liked the cover better. And that ended up taking more effort than you might believe, short of paying triple the price for a copy on Ebay that wouldn't arrive for around 8 weeks.

LOL, so my impatience and persnickitiness over cover art saved me from a few mistakes.

In the end, I grabbed vol 1, 3, and 4 (of the second series) from Amazon (and the complete Spider-Ham volume 1, with a pre-ordeer for volume 2 of that coming in Febreuary), and managed to grab Renew Your Vows volume 1 (the first series) from a online comicshop in Ontario. Volume 2 of the second series is supposed to be back in stock on Amazon on the 28th.

Thanks for the reminder just picked up the first Spider-Ham volume for my Kindle.

Where do I even start discussing Marvel comics? It's my entire childhood.
Me too.

I am an Avengers fan from way back so imagine my joy at the MCU. I liked the reboot in '98 and the ~36 months that followed but then not so much. Young Avengers was brilliant.

I tried Mighty Avengers back in the Aughts but it wasn't for me.

Speaking of Avengers, when is Tigra going to join the MCU? How could a bikini-clad cat-lady not be marketing gold?
They're going to introduce her (and Wonder Man) when they spin off Jeremy Renner's Hawkeye, Don Cheadle's new Iron Man, and Adrianne Palicki's Mockingbird in the West Coast Avengers movie scheduled for 2022.
64e2b374d1cb2c30b87d7d95ba31662a.jpg
e98f0229102d59908247a7d4022300fa.jpg
fe1c13e5eb94dfba64c00367429834e4.jpg
137231_6704c_pre.jpg
1118full-james-rhodes--slash--war-machine-Endgame.jpg

Last edited:
giphy.gif

I loved West Coast Avengers - especially because it was in Los Angeles. But lord, they clearly had no one among their writers that understood anything about LA...

Putting the Avengers secret base under Palos Verdes? Genius (there is an abandoned army tunnel maze down there)... but having the cliff open up so the Quinjet can fly out? Impossible. The whole thing would collapse...

Unless... omg it's lined with ADAMANTIUM!! of course!!!! That Iron Man.. he can do ANYTHING!

Will the West Coast Avengers beat the Molecule Man by having Tigra convince him to get therapy?

She was in a relationship with Hank Pym a few years ago, Avengers Academy or something.

I loved West Coast Avengers - especially because it was in Los Angeles. But lord, they clearly had no one among their writers that understood anything about LA...

Putting the Avengers secret base under Palos Verdes? Genius (there is an abandoned army tunnel maze down there)... but having the cliff open up so the Quinjet can fly out? Impossible. The whole thing would collapse...

Unless... omg it's lined with ADAMANTIUM!! of course!!!! That Iron Man.. he can do ANYTHING!
I know, right? They never should have abandoned the stark realism of parking 29,000-lb. Quinjets on the roof of a mansion at 890 Fifth Avenue in New York City. That was the point at which I had to quit reading superhero comics because they suddenly, out of the clear blue sky, started to contradict real-world science. :hehe:
tumblr_nufbm8n0GD1uty5lpo1_1280.jpg

I like Tigra enough that I picked these up for a reasonable price a year or so ago. First appearance of Greer Nelson as The Cat in 1972 and then as Tigra in Giant-Size Creatures #1 in 1974.

IMG_0474.jpeg

I like Tigra enough that I picked these up for a reasonable price a year or so ago. First appearance of Greer Nelson as The Cat in 1972 and then as Tigra in Giant-Size Creatures #1 in 1974.

View attachment 21812
I got the entire brief run of Beware! The Claws of the Cat for $1 apiece a while back. I may have bought that Giant-Size Creatures featuring Werewolf by Night for $1 as well. There used to be a place here that had the most amazing bargain bins ever. I got Spider-Woman #1 through 5 (I think), The Savage She-Hulk, Ms. Marvel, and tons of other stuff from the '60s and mainly the '70s for $1 each. I got so many comics I still haven't read them all--I used to pass on some with hopes of getting them later, but they were gone and I'd regret it so I started just grabbing as many as I could afford. The Cat I got mainly for the art by Marie Severin, Wally Wood, and Jim Mooney, plus I love series that got cancelled quickly. Big fan of Black Goliath! Sadly that shop must have realized they were not asking as much as they could for their old comics and moved nearly everything pre-'90s over to the other side of the store where they were bagged, boarded, and marked up to crazy prices I can't/won't pay. :cry:

Marvel recently published a TPB collection of all 4 issues of The Cat along with all of Tigra's 1970s appearances in various comics:
51b01KdQ+zL._SX323_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Last edited:
I got the entire brief run of Beware! The Claws of the Cat for $1 apiece a while back. I may have bought that Giant-Size Creatures featuring Werewolf by Night for $1 as well. There used to be a place here that had the most amazing bargain bins ever. I got Spider-Woman #1 through 5 (I think), The Savage She-Hulk, Ms. Marvel, and tons of other stuff from the '60s and mainly the '70s for $1 each. I got so many comics I still haven't read them all--I used to pass on some with hopes of getting them later, but they were gone and I'd regret it so I started just grabbing as many as I could afford. The Cat I got mainly for the art by Marie Severin, Wally Wood, and Jim Mooney, plus I love series that got cancelled quickly. Big fan of Black Goliath! Sadly that shop must have realized they were not asking as much as they could for their old comics and moved nearly everything pre-'90s over to the other side of the store where they were bagged, boarded, and marked up to crazy prices I can't/won't pay. :cry:

Marvel recently published a TPB collection of all 4 issues of The Cat along with all of Tigra's 1970s appearances in various comics:

That's too bad that you no longer have access to those kind of bargains! We have a few comic stores here with some decent bargains at times. But we also have a store called Entertainmart that sells music, books, dvds/blurays and comics. They have a very large $1 bin, and generally decent prices on some older comics, along with used collected volumes like you mentioned here. In fact, gonna head over there right now and see what they have since the last time I was in.

Regarding Spider-Woman, I have that entire run, 1-51 I believe. I only have a few series that I have every issue of. New Teen Titans/Tales of the New Teen Titans 1-91 and all 4 annuals, Spider-Woman 1-51, John Byrne's Next Men (not sure about issue count, around 1-30 I think, including the first appearance of Hellboy), and maybe one or two others. I also have issues 1-75 of the original Alpha Flight series.

These days I pretty much only buy comics from 1960-1990. The new stuff, with a few exceptions, doesn't do much for me.

I know, right? They never should have abandoned the stark realism of parking 29,000-lb. Quinjets on the roof of a mansion at 890 Fifth Avenue in New York City. That was the point at which I had to quit reading superhero comics because they suddenly, out of the clear blue sky, started to contradict real-world science. :hehe:

Nevermind that Reed Richards launches rocket ships in downtown Manhattan!!!

So I decided to give another chance to superheroes comics.
I can't remember exactly why I gave up the superhero genre, but it was probably because I'm not into "infinite tales" (It felt like nothing had any consequence whatsoever). So I'm trying to keep myself on small runs and graphic novels for the fun of it.

Anyways I grabbed Silver Surfer, because he looks cool and there is space and stuff.
I went for:
- The Stan Lee and Buscema run.
- Parable.
- Slott and Allred 2014-2015, I also grabbed 2016-2017 but I will have to wait issues 7-14 to be recompiled, translated and released here.

What am I in for? :hehe:

I have no idea who is Walden.

Oh, Walden is a classic book by Henry David Thoreau - highly recommend. It's a transcendentalist reflection on living in isolation in nature, a semi-satirical philosophical love letter to self-reliance, isolation, and independence.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back