Marvel Comics

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
So are they "above" entities like the Living Tribunal?

Officially, the Living Tribunal is the second most powerful entity in the Marvel multiverse, subject only to "the One Above All" (i.e. God, in the judeo-christian sense).

But as has been said, the exact power structure pretty much depends on whoever is writing the story. There are a few of them in which the Living Tribunal gets killed despite this ought to be impossible.

..and then, above them all is Squirrel Girl, apparently.
Remember when Bemdis set up that her and Wolverine had a sordid past, then Bendis found out she was a teenager, and suddenly it was all about a cab one stole from the other?

And people wonder why I stopped buying Marvel.

So are they "above" entities like the Living Tribunal?

As others have said, the continuity is...well, pissed away to Hell, so I can speak only of the Bronze Age, the last time Marvel comics can be said to have had a coherent continuity, and what everyone defaults back to when they want to ignore the latest stupidity introduced my a pseudo-celebrity author brought onto a comic with no editorial oversight

(I'm not bitter at all..)

OK< recall The First Firmament was the embodiment of the first cosmos? In the same way the Living Tribunal is the embodiment of the multiverse - minus the mystical realms. He sees it as his duty to ensure the stability of the Multiverse, ad unlike other beings that exist within a universe, he exists in all universes simultaneously. So he is above abstracted concepts that manifest within a single universe (Like Order and Chaos), and those cosmic beings which have parallels in different universes (like Galactus). Though he is more powerful than an individual Celestial, presumably the Celestials could rise up and wage war on him in the same way they did the First Firmament. But The Tribunal and Celestials would have very little reason to interact.

001D5492-951F-4A1A-ACD2-45DC56267807.jpeg

This scene came up in the Hickman era Avengers. There was very little context given at the time….it was like a “meanwhile, this is what Iron Man’s up to” moment.

It was a pretty good example of a recent use of cosmic entity type characters in a way that made sense (ultimately) and also conveyed the scope of what was going on.

The Celestials played a part in all that, too.

Not quite a comic, but I was gifted a Marvel Advent Calendar. It's huge, like an oversized road atlas. In window there is a little illustrated booklet with story about one of more Marvel heroes in an early reading kind of style for younger children. That isn't stopping me from actually reading the new story every day, even though I have put my glasses on to do so.

Quick follow up. I am on day 10 of the Marvel advent calendar, so I've read a few of these mini-stories. The plots themselves are very basic as you'd expect, mostly quick summaries of origin stories. But I am oddly fascinated by the style of the writing. It is really efficent. The sentences are short and they all serve a purpose. There is no waste. Obviously it is addressed to children and and by necessity kept simple and brief. Still there is a clarity and concise quality in the prose I kind of admire.

Quick follow up. I am on day 10 of the Marvel advent calendar, so I've read a few of these mini-stories. The plots themselves are very basic as you'd expect, mostly quick summaries of origin stories. But I am oddly fascinated by the style of the writing. It is really efficent. The sentences are short and they all serve a purpose. There is no waste. Obviously it is addressed to children and and by necessity kept simple and brief. Still there is a clarity and concise quality in the prose I kind of admire.
I have to admit someone posted a pic of theirs on Facebook, and I’ve been curious about it. Thank you for sharing!

I’m unable to find the thread where the topic of werewolf apocalypses came up. Hopefully whoever I spoke with will see this.448C8E84-7424-41CC-89F0-B13DF78B4D5D.jpeg

Man reads every Marvel comic made since 1961 (27,000 comics) as research.

He makes a very good point about what order to read them in here:

" The other error is trying to cherrypick the greatest hits, the pivotal single issues. Taken in isolation, these are peaks without mountain ranges. Their dramatic power comes from their context."

Sounds like an awesome project. Kind of amazing that he had enough time to pull it off!

I did the same thing but only for comics that were X-Men related. Even that took a really long time. And I agree on the whole thing about context being really important to the "highs". I got from the beginning of the X-Men to right around 2010.

The 90s were insane cause there were like, 20 X-Men related comics coming out a month.

I did the same thing but only for comics that were X-Men related. Even that took a really long time. And I agree on the whole thing about context being really important to the "highs". I got from the beginning of the X-Men to right around 2010.

The 90s were insane cause there were like, 20 X-Men related comics coming out a month.

Back in 2009 I read 98% of everything Wildstorm had published at that point, having bought a guy’s collection and combined it with mine. Utterly fascinating what a cohesive universe there was, seeing it evolve over time, and realizing how many great stories got overlooked because they weren’t fone by the big nanes associated with the company.

Post-Ellis, pre-reboot DV8 is my all-time favorite teen/20-something team book.

We’ll see, after reading the article it may be the case these will only be available in the Omnibus due to licensing. I hope not.

I think I've mentioned it before on here, but I goddamn love the original ROM comic. The world building and epic story forged from a one-toy toy line was majestic. I've stolen and repainted the broader strokes of it in different ways a couple of times for my own campaigns. The chance to own the entire set, even if it is only in an omnibus, is pleasing indeed.

Death of Ms Marvel (as in Kamala Khan)? Is that seriously a current storyline? When did that series get dark?

I haven't collected comics... this century. Every few years I go on Marvel digital for a month or two, catch up a little or indulge in a little nostalgia. So, yeah, I am pretty out of the loop. And sure, it's, no one stays dead long anyway. But on the surface that seems such a bizarre editoral choice.

Death of Ms Marvel (as in Kamala Khan)? Is that seriously a current storyline? When did that series get dark?

I haven't collected comics... this century. Every few years I go on Marvel digital for a month or two, catch up a little or indulge in a little nostalgia. So, yeah, I am pretty out of the loop. And sure, it's, no one stays dead long anyway. But on the surface that seems such a bizarre editoral choice.
The theory I've seen is they're doing this to align her powers to the movies/TV series. (I think that's backward but meh, Marvel.)

Also, they're doing a new Hickmen arc: https://www.marvel.com/articles/comics/meet-the-gods-hickman-schiti

The theory I've seen is they're doing this to align her powers to the movies/TV series. (I think that's backward but meh, Marvel.)

Also, they're doing a new Hickmen arc: https://www.marvel.com/articles/comics/meet-the-gods-hickman-schiti
My bet is they are going to use Cyclops's connection to her (from his memories of time displaced Cyclops being part of the Champions with her) to reveal that she was a Mutant all along, and resurrect her on Krakoa, as they are making her a mutant in the MCU.

My bet is they are going to use Cyclops's connection to her (from his memories of time displaced Cyclops being part of the Champions with her) to reveal that she was a Mutant all along, and resurrect her on Krakoa, as they are making her a mutant in the MCU.
Likely as well.

I'm enjoying Kieron Gillen's run on X-Men but man is this world/arc now superdense with lore. But I guess that's been true since mid-period Claremomt too.

Like the best of Hickman's X-Men work I like the sf breadth and imagination but that does come at the sacrifice of character and warmth.

Something about The X-Men, perhaps the legacy, prestige and influence of Claremont, seems to attract innovative (for a mainstream superhero comic) work, which is surprising for such a flagship title.

But man, do most of these spin-off titles look less-than-great (could be wrong) and I've hated the excessive crossover plotlines since the 80s.

Be still my heart:

predwolverine2023001_cov.jpg

Be still my heart:

View attachment 62106
What’s all that sticking out of Wolverine? I don’t follow the current storylines but early on this would have been close and later after he was popular it would haven’t made Wolverine break a sweat.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back