Marvel Super Heroes: Lone Wolves

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
12,080
Reaction score
22,285
It's just after 12 p.m., Saturday, July 7, 1984, the tail-end of a week of unrelenting heat and pitiless bad news in New York City, some of which may hold more personal portent for some of you than for others, but none of it exactly making you feel like singing "Kumbaya" while holding hands in a circle around a blazing trashcan. The past week's headlines from The Daily Bugle are only the tip of the iceberg.
1.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg
6.jpg
5.jpg
4.jpg
Since putting your partnership with Cloak on hiatus, you've found a temporary living situation in the form of a spare bedroom at the Murray Hill apartment of Lydia Zandofsky, an elderly Russian-Jewish widow who looks askance at your odd comings and goings but says nothing except the occasional comment that you're too skinny and urging you to eat more of her homemade matzo ball soup. Mrs. Zandofsky's only source of income is her tailor shop on 8th Avenue in the Garment District, and it shows in the way she refuses to turn on the AC even on the hottest day yet of a scorching summer that's burning up all the heat records.

Suddenly you hear Mrs. Zandofsky shatter her teacup and saucer on the kitchen tiles as she cries, "Oy! My shop! I feel ferdrayt!"

Then you realize Mrs. Zandofsky's radio is on in the background and you catch the last bit of a news bulletin: "...riot involving more than four hundred individuals is raging along 8th Avenue in the Garment District. Several deaths have already been reported. The National Guard is presently forming a cordon around the affected area. Stay tuned to this station for further news bulletins."

With Elektra Natchios, Karen Page, Natasha Romanova, and Heather Glenn all - one way or another - out of the picture, your posh Upper East Side brownstone almost unbearably quiet and empty. Fortunately, since your former law partner Foggy Nelson was elected New York County District Attorney, you've had no time to think about it as you have more work than you can handle at the free storefront legal clinic you run in Hell's Kitchen, assisted only by an overeager first-year law student volunteer from Chinatown named Nancy Chow. One of your most pressing current crusades is fighting the eviction of Lydia Zandofsky, an elderly Russian-Jewish widow, from her two-bedroom rent-controlled Murray Hill apartment.

You're even busier than usual because Nancy, usually early, has not yet turned up at the legal clinic today, and you feel a twinge of avuncular concern. You're roused from your ponderings by an abrupt radio announcement: "We interrupt this program for the following news bulletin: A riot involving more than four hundred individuals is raging along 8th Avenue in the Garment District. Several deaths have already been reported. The National Guard is presently forming a cordon around the affected area. Stay tuned to this station for further news bulletins."

Your first realization is that your client Mrs. Zandofsky's only source of income is her tailor shop on 8th Avenue in the Garment District and if she loses that, even preventing her eviction will be tantamount to defeat.

In your Jake Lockley identity, you owe a favor to your fellow cabbie Ismail Hussein for an unintentional tip that led to Moon Knight's successful bust of a human trafficking ring last summer. So when you received an urgent call from Ismail asking you to cover his shift, you felt you couldn't say no even if it did impose upon your plans as Steven Grant to take Marlene Alraune to lunch today.

After you drop off a couple of tourist schmucks outside a peep show near Times Square, the cab's radio cuts suddenly from Ismail's favorite adult contemporary station to: "We interrupt this program for the following news bulletin: A riot involving more than four hundred individuals is raging along 8th Avenue in the Garment District. Several deaths have already been reported. The National Guard is presently forming a cordon around the affected area. Stay tuned to this station for further news bulletins."

Having been up all night following a Spider-Tracer all over Manhattan, only to reach a dead end when you found it jammed into the front grille of a Yellow Cab parked in Morningside Heights, you're rudely awakened by the ringing telephone in your West Village apartment only to hear the bark of your on-again, off-again employer and favorite newspaper publisher, J. Jonah Jameson, alerting you to some kind of ongoing mass riot at 8th Avenue in the Garment District and demanding you get on the scene to obtain exclusive photos for The Daily Bugle, and not to show your face at the office until you have a roll of newsworthy film to hand over. So much for your pleasant dream about Candi, Randi, and Bambi, your neighbors across the hall: your rent was due the first of the month and you're going to come up short if you don't earn some fast cash - in fact you're surprised Mrs. Muggins hasn't been pounding on your door demanding her money for the past six days.
 

Silverlion

Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2017
Messages
572
Reaction score
801
"A riot? I gotta make sure to get tourists and others out of the line of fire.. sorry Ismail." He whispers. Then slowly pulls into a parking garage and finds a quiet spot on the roof to change. "Jake Lockley isn't much in a riot, but for Moon Knight, that is another story." his voice rising in tone, cast deeper as the hood hides his face. Then steps out in costume to look down across the city towards the Garment District. Time to take to the sky." He launches his line across to the nearest high slightly higher point and leaps, to swing into the sky, along the path of the moon. I assume he still has the basic truncheon/grapple, but if not--he'll use the lasso.
 
Last edited:

Tulpa Girl

Still looking for my first TPK.
Joined
Nov 14, 2018
Messages
841
Reaction score
1,926
Edit: rewritten now that I'm not mistaken as to the proximity to the riot.

Tandy was grateful that the meager income she had earned doing some various part-time jobs in the area had allowed her to rent the spare bedroom from Mrs. Zandofsky , humble as it was. As much as she had come to care for Tyrone, she also needed a bit of space from him. He had grown highly dependent upon her, too much so. She had resolved to make her way back to the Holy Ghost Church on a regular basis, to use her light-based powers to help satiate the darkness that literally hungered inside him. But she was also determined to prove to herself that she could function outside of their partnership.

Mrs. Zandofsky's exclamation, and the radio news bulletin, shook her out of her woolgathering. Slipping her costume on quickly, she then equally quickly throwing on cheap jeans, a t-shirt, and some shoes over her outfit. Wouldn't be comfortable given the current heat, but she couldn't think of any other options at the moment. At least the white bodysuit was thin and relatively breathable.

Grabbing a small nylon tote bag, she dashed out of her bedroom and through the living room toward the front door. "Omigosh!" she exclaims, for the older woman's benefit. "I completely forgot I was supposed to help someone move into their new apartment today! I don't know how long this will take! Don't wait up for me, Mrs. Zandofsky!" Before the latter can object, she was already out the door.

Taking a moment to catch her breath and steel herself for what was to come while she rode down the building's elevator, she planned her route to the tailor shop. It was going to be a long run, but she could make it faster that way than trying to get some form of transport during midday traffic. It occurred to her that perhaps she had grown too dependent on Cloak's teleportation ability. Too bad some of the buildings are far apart enough that I can't just jump from rooftop to rooftop, she mused to herself. Maybe I should get some sort of swingline like that Daredevil guy has?

When the elevator opened up in the building lobby she hit the ground running. Thank God I'm in good shape, she thought, as she moved at a brisk pace, but not so fast that she would be completely winded by the time she reached her destination. Her plan was to get close enough to the riot to assess the situation, find an empty alleyway while all eyes were diverted elsewhere, shuck her clothes into the small tote bag and hide them in a corner somewhere - hopefully they would still be there when she got back - and then see what she could do as Dagger to help the situation...

OOC: What floor is her room on, and how many stories is the building it's in? Also, what time of day is it?

FYI, from a quick skim of the Marvel Fandom Wiki, it looks like C&D have worked with Spider-Man a few times at this point; the only other 'street' hero they've encountered is Black Cat (they've also met the New Mutants, but that's probably less likely to be relevant for this game).
 
Last edited:

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
12,080
Reaction score
22,285
Tandy was grateful that the meager income she had earned doing some various part-time jobs in the area had allowed her to rent the spare bedroom from Mrs. Zandofsky , humble as it was. As much as she had come to care for Tyrone, she also needed a bit of space from him. He had grown highly dependent upon her, too much so. She had resolved to make her way back to the Holy Ghost Church on a regular basis, to use her light-based powers to help satiate the darkness that literally hungered inside him. But she was also determined to prove to herself that she could function outside of their partnership.

Mrs. Zandofsky's exclamation, and the radio news bulletin, shook her out of her woolgathering. Quickly changing into her 'work' clothes, she poked her head out through the door just long enough to tell her host, "I'm going to get help! Lock all the doors!" Before the elderly woman can respond, the teenage girl then heads out of the window facing away from 8th Avenue, trusting that anyone nearby would have their eyes on the riot. The then uses her acrobatic skill to work her way via the fire escapes on the outside of the building to where, as Dagger, she can get a good vantage point to best assess what's happening.

OOC: What floor is her room on, and how many stories is the building it's in? Also, what time of day is it?

FYI, from a quick skim of the Marvel Fandom Wiki, it looks like C&D have worked with Spider-Man a few times at this point; the only other 'street' hero they've encountered is Black Cat (they've also met the New Mutants, but that's probably less likely to be relevant for this game).
It's just after 12 p.m., Saturday, July 7, 1984...
6th floor of a ten-story building. You're currently in Murray Hill; the rioting is in the Garment District so you'll have to head a little west before you can see anything.
port-auth-downtn-manhattan-airport-map-0.jpg
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
12,080
Reaction score
22,285
"A riot? I gotta make sure to get tourists and others out of the line of fire.. sorry Ismail." He whispers. Then slowly pulls into a parking garage and finds a quiet spot on the roof to change. "Jake Lockley isn't much in a riot, but for Moon Knight, that is another story." his voice rising in tone, cast deeper as the hood hides his face. Then steps out in costume to look down across the city towards the Garment District. Time to take to the sky." He launches his line across to the nearest high slightly higher point and leaps, to swing into the sky, along the path of the moon. I assume he still has the basic truncheon/grapple, but if not--he'll use the lasso.
You can have the truncheon/grapple. You have access to any equipment normally associated with your character.
 

Tulpa Girl

Still looking for my first TPK.
Joined
Nov 14, 2018
Messages
841
Reaction score
1,926
6th floor of a ten-story building. You're currently in Murray Hill; the rioting is in the Garment District so you'll have to head a little west before you can see anything.
OOC: The original message gave the address for the riot as being the same as the apartment home. If this wasn't supposed to be the case, I'll edit my original post to where she just slips out without alerting the older woman.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
12,080
Reaction score
22,285
OOC: The original message gave the address for the riot as being the same as the apartment home. If this wasn't supposed to be the case, I'll edit my original post to where she just slips out without alerting the older woman.
I haven't edited the first post, but it's a lot of information so I can see how it might get confusing so just to be clear the apartment is in Murray Hill and the riot is in the Garment District on the same street at the tailor shop. :thumbsup: I meant to post a neighborhood map in the original post to make it easier to know who is where in relation to who. Since it occurred to me @Voros might not know quite where Hell's Kitchen is since it's not labeled on the map I posted earlier:
Hells_Kitchen_Map.jpg
 

Voros

Doomed Investigator
Joined
Sep 23, 2017
Messages
6,001
Reaction score
8,430
I excuse myself from the clinic, saying I have to meet a client for an emergency. Walk into a nearby alley and change into my DD outfit and climb up a fire escape and move towards where the riot was reported. I'm listening for the crowd and anything around them.
 

Toric

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 8, 2019
Messages
251
Reaction score
189
Peter grimaced as he listened to Jonah's tirade. When he stopped to take a breath, Peter jumped in. "Sure JJJ, don't you worry! I'll get some good shots!" Without waiting for an answer that he surely didn't want to hear, he quickly hung up the phone. "Sheesh, what a grouch," Peter grumbled as he pulled on his trusty red and blue costume. He would have preferred to get back to Candi, Randi and Bambi but they'd have to wait. A riot in the Garment District sounded like bad news all around, if Jonah's information was accurate.

Once suited up, Peter slipped out of his apartment and began swinging north towards where Jonah had said the action was, 8th Avenue in the Garment District.

Once in the Garment District and on 8th, Spider-Man will swing along the street at least several stories up. If and when he locates the area where the rioting is happening, he will activate the camera on his belt and swing onto the roof of a nearby building to assess the situation, and see if he can see any obvious causes from that vantage point.
 

Tulpa Girl

Still looking for my first TPK.
Joined
Nov 14, 2018
Messages
841
Reaction score
1,926
OOC: got it, will edit post later today when I get the chance.

Edit: have rewritten earlier post.
 
Last edited:

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
12,080
Reaction score
22,285
These are all separate since you have no way of knowing who else is there or where unless indicated in your individual spoiler. Here's a map of the neighborhood.
20191005_171620.jpg
Each building or dotted line indicates an area. The circles on the streets are manholes and the red lines show the sewer system layout underneath. The little red fire hydrant symbols may not be clear, but that's what they are. The rioters are at the moment mainly in the areas labeled with the letter C, with a few strays running loose here and there elsewhere.

Moon Knight swings into the Garment District and finds the National Guard has set up a cordon to contain the rioters. Police barricades have also been set up with hopes of keeping curious citizens out of trouble. Wild-eyed rioters are fighting in the street, armed with knives or makeshift weapons, struggling to overturn parked cars, and otherwise damaging property but in haphazard manner, with no clear objective.

Nobody notices your presence as you look down on the scene from atop a rundown and abandoned seven-story building that used to be apartments with Shill Liquor at the ground floor, you see a group of looters throw a trashcan through the storefront window of Lambertson Grocery. You see an old man desperately trying to ward off the looters with a broomhandle, but the rioters seem to be possessed by inhuman savagery and you fear the worst for the grocer.

Moon Knight is at the bottom of the map just left of center atop the building labeled SHILL LIQUOR.
Racing to the scene, Dagger finds the National Guard has set up a cordon to contain the rioters. Police barricades have also been set up with hopes of keeping curious citizens out of trouble. Wild-eyed rioters are fighting in the street, armed with knives or makeshift weapons, struggling to overturn parked cars, and otherwise damaging property but in haphazard manner, with no clear objective.

In your civilian garb you blend into a throng of looky-loos and, while the police are distracted by a couple of loudmouthed hecklers, you slip unnoticed past the barricades into a conveniently deserted alleyway between Ho's Laundry and Clara's Cafeteria where you can remove your outer clothing without being seen, shielded from view by a pair of large Dumpsters. The stink of rotting food from the cafeteria you could do without, but who knows when the trash strike will end? Worse still is the large number of rats apparently drawn by the ample piles of garbage going bad.

Dagger is near the bottom-right of the map near the backdoor of the building labeled HO'S LAUNDRY MAT.
Daredevil hustles from rooftop to rooftop in his inimitably acrobatic manner until he arrives at the edge of the Garment District. Your unique radar sense and enhanced hearing tell him the National Guard has set up a cordon to contain the rioters and that police barricades have also been set up with hopes of keeping curious citizens out of trouble. You hear the sound of minor skirmishes between rioters armed with knives and makeshift weapons, their breathing fast and short with excitement. The sound of their footfalls indicate no clear objective as they run off in every direction, aimlessly and uncoordinated, only to damage property or attack someone without provocation, and then to double back whence they came.

As you alight on the eight-story-high roof of the building housing Clara's Cafeteria, your radar sense alerts you to another figure on a lower roof to the east, and the way the wind flutters indicates the figure is caped: perhaps some supervillain masterminding the chaos below for reasons of his own? Equally intriguing is the strange chemical scent you seem to detect, isolated to the area of the rioters.

Daredevil is at the bottom-right of the map atop the building labeled CLARA'S CAFETERIA.
Spider-Man swings onto the scene and finds the National Guard has set up a cordon to contain the rioters. Police barricades have also been set up with hopes of keeping curious citizens out of trouble. Wild-eyed rioters are fighting in the street, armed with knives or makeshift weapons, struggling to overturn parked cars, and otherwise damaging property but in haphazard manner, with no clear objective. While you're setting up your automatic camera to get a good angle on the scene below, you don't notice any clear cause of the commotion but you do see a young blonde girl slip past the cordon into an alleyway between Ho's Laundry and Clara's Cafeteria just across the street and six stories down from where you are. Your Spider-Sense doesn't indicate any danger from her, but her actions seem suspicious.

Spider-Man is just south of the bottom edge of the map where it says "STREET MAP."
 
Last edited:

Voros

Doomed Investigator
Joined
Sep 23, 2017
Messages
6,001
Reaction score
8,430
I move stealthily towards the caped figure.
 

Toric

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 8, 2019
Messages
251
Reaction score
189
Spider-Man eyes the young blonde, casts a quick glance back at the rioters further up the street and then decides to follow the girl to see what she's up to. He swings over to the roof of the laundry, making every effort to remain unseen by the girl. He will continue to follow her from the rooftops.
 

Silverlion

Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2017
Messages
572
Reaction score
801
"Something more is behind this, it is not normal for rioters to riot without cause. I should question one and see if I can get more information." Moon Knight thinks silently to himself, as he looks for a likely target swinging down and scanning the crowd for someone who passes for reasonably calm or at least re-strainable. Trying to avoid the national guards' line of sight as he does so, making his way to the top of Edison's Department store farther in as he searches his eyes shrouded by his cowl but lit with a keen focus.
http://rolldicewithfriends.com/rooms/marvelgame on Excellent (is his write up missing talents?) Note: If the Forum has a dice roller, I'm not sure how it works. This one you can input the character name, but I didn't realize it on the first roll so that's me.
 
Last edited:

Tulpa Girl

Still looking for my first TPK.
Joined
Nov 14, 2018
Messages
841
Reaction score
1,926
Climbing up the fire escape of the Terrace Apartments, Dagger then jumped on the roof of Ho's, then made her way across the rooftops of Chin's, Rusty's and eventually Lambertson Grocery before pausing. As far as she could tell, there was no particular cause or reason why the riot was happening. Are they being mind controlled? Have they been drugged to agitate them? The former she couldn't do anything about, but the latter...

Jumping from the top of the grocery store, using a nearby light pole to break her fall before landing in the street near the police barricade. She sks one of the nearby cops, "What's going on here? Why are they rioting?" She knew the police might not be inclined to answer a young costumed girl that they probably didn't recognize, but she had to at least try.

OOC: let me know if I'm being too generous with using her Acrobatics talent without rolls in my descriptions, and if I need to make a Popularity FEAT roll to get a useful response from the police
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
12,080
Reaction score
22,285
"Something more is behind this, it is not normal for rioters to riot without cause. I should question one and see if I can get more information." Moon Knight thinks silently to himself, as he looks for a likely target swinging down and scanning the crowd for someone who passes for reasonably calm or at least re-strainable. Trying to avoid the national guards' line of sight as he does so, making his way to the top of Edison's Department store farther in as he searches his eyes shrouded by his cowl but lit with a keen focus.
I don't see any Talents listed...what do you think he is missing? In the original set a lot of what became Talents in the Advanced version were folded into the stats, like martial arts into Fighting and Spider-Man's Spider-Sense into Intuition.

No one is watching the rooftops or the sky, so you have an easy time moving north to the roof of the Edison Department Store without being observed--at least not from below. As you swing over and scan the crowd, passing the grocer in distress, you catch a glimpse of another figure on a slightly higher rooftop behind where you were, seemingly trying to follow you in secret. Whoever it is, he's doing a good job of it as he slips just out of sight behind a brick cornice. Down below, no one is calm, but some of the citizens seem to be the aggressors while others are merely their victims, at least judging from the roving bands harassing single figures or small groups and attacking them without provocation. From atop the department store, you see an unusually large number of very big rats digging through the uncollected garbage piled up in the alleyways on either side.

You can just post your dice results on the honor system unless you want to post the links.
I move stealthily towards the caped figure.
As you sneak, you hear a the shattering of glass and your radar sense indicates it was most likely a group of looters throwing a trashcan through a storefront window about half a block up. By the wafting aromas, you figure the store to be some sort of small mom-and-pop grocery. You also sense a figure guarding the doorway of the store, an older man judging by his stance, apparently holding a mop or broom and trying to ward off the looters by himself.

Once you get close enough to hear recognize the heartbeat, you realize the caped figure is in fact Moon Knight, with whom you took down the Jester a few months back. He seemed to be on the side of the angels, if enigmatic, but you haven't encountered him since that time and, given there's no way he could have missed what's happening at the grocery store, you find it puzzling that he would completely disregard the old man's safety as Moon Knight swings past the lopsided clash and down the block to the north. Maybe he's gone rogue and has something to do with the rioting.
Climbing up the fire escape of the Terrace Apartments, Dagger then jumped on the roof of Ho's, then made her way across the rooftops of Chin's, Rusty's and eventually Lambertson Grocery before pausing. As far as she could tell, there was no particular cause or reason why the riot was happening. Are they being mind controlled? Have they been drugged to agitate them? The former she couldn't do anything about, but the latter...

Jumping from the top of the grocery store, using a nearby light pole to break her fall before landing in the street near the police barricade. She sks one of the nearby cops, "What's going on here? Why are they rioting?" She knew the police might not be inclined to answer a young costumed girl that they probably didn't recognize, but she had to at least try.

OOC: let me know if I'm being too generous with using her Acrobatics talent without rolls in my descriptions, and if I need to make a Popularity FEAT roll to get a useful response from the police
I'll go ahead and roll Popularity when necessary as it will save time going back and forth. Right now the cop has no reason not to answer you even if you do seem a little weird. As for the acrobatics, it's a feat she should have no trouble pulling off at her leisure: she'd only need to make a check if she tried it under pressure like during a fight or while being chased or something like that, otherwise she has plenty of time to gauge the leap, the flip, and the landing.
PO.jpgThe cop, being jostled from behind by the crowd of curiosity seekers, is only able to pay half-attention to you and your acrobatic maneuver on the lamppost, and totally unable to leave his post to do anything about your presence inside the cordon. He replies, "Miss, you hadn't ought to be here, you're liable to get hurt! We don't know what's going on! Near as we can tell they're fed up with the piles of trash and all the rats it's attracting. Got a lot of calls about rats biting folks and next thing we know the whole place turned into a madhouse. Now get out of there, this is no place for a schoolgirl in a Halloween costume! What's that? She's one of them superheroes?"

Suddenly you hear a crash as a thrown trashcan shatters the window of Lambertson Grocery and a group of looters threatens an old man standing in the grocery doorway holding a broomhandle in a defensive posture. Even if he weren't old and the looters weren't out of their minds, he wouldn't stand a chance at ten-to-one odds.
Spider-Man eyes the young blonde, casts a quick glance back at the rioters further up the street and then decides to follow the girl to see what she's up to. He swings over to the roof of the laundry, making every effort to remain unseen by the girl. He will continue to follow her from the rooftops.
You start to feel like a bit of a perv when, to your surprise, you realize the girl is undressing in the alleyway! She's very attractive...but then, to your relief, it seems she's wearing some kind of skintight white leotard underneath her street clothes. It dawns on you that it's Dagger, a young mutant superheroine who usually works with a grim and dour partner called Cloak. You've encountered them in the past and they're strictly amateurs as far as you're concerned. However, you don't see Cloak anywhere around.

After she changes, you see her climb a fire escape up the side of the Terrace Apartments and then across the rooftops north to the edge of Lambertson Grocery before she executes an impressive acrobatic feat to descend from the roof using a lamppost near the corner. She lands in front of a cop being jostled by the crowd of looky-loos at the barricade, exchanging words with him, but you can't hear what they're saying. Suddenly you hear a crash as a thrown trashcan shatters the window of Lambertson Grocery and a group of looters threatens an old man standing in the grocery doorway holding a broomhandle in a defensive posture. Even if he weren't old and the looters weren't out of their minds, he wouldn't stand a chance at ten-to-one odds.
 
Last edited:

Toric

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 8, 2019
Messages
251
Reaction score
189
Spidey marvels at the acrobatic grace Dagger displayed in her leap to the street. Maybe I was too hasty in thinking her an amateur, he thought but before he could give it any further consideration, his attention was diverted with the sound of breaking glass.

Spidey swings over and lands with his own acrobatic flourish in front of the old shopkeeper, between him and the looters. "Manners fellas! Didn't anyone ever teach you to respect your elders? You should all go sleep it off! But if you'd prefer, I'm more than willing to crack a few heads!"

He prepares himself for a fight should his words have no effect.
 
Last edited:

Voros

Doomed Investigator
Joined
Sep 23, 2017
Messages
6,001
Reaction score
8,430
I leave the mystery of Moon Knight for later and spring into action to help the old man against the rioters. As I approach I focus my sense of smell on the aroma, trying to figure out what it is.
 

Silverlion

Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2017
Messages
572
Reaction score
801
Moon Knight will swing down to aid the storefront owner trying to kick two looters aside as he swings down among them and making space so he can aid the broom wielding owner. "Back off savages!" he yells as he strikes with both feet forward with all the force of his might and the aid of gravity. "You will not harm him while Moon Knight stands!"
Roll: 78 for kick attack on the first with an aim to knock him into another. (Note: I didn't want to respond too soon, but I'll pick up the pace if wanted. I just don't want to rush everyone else.
After the kick, he drops tugging the hook free and letting it return to the truncheon as he prepares himself for a fist-to-fist fight.
 

Tulpa Girl

Still looking for my first TPK.
Joined
Nov 14, 2018
Messages
841
Reaction score
1,926
Dagger throws one of her light-daggers into the rioting crowd, targeting one of the biggest and most violent of the lot. She's more interested in seeing if they might have been drugged in some way that the actual damage it might do, although if it takes them out of the fight that works as well.



OOC: can she see any of the other heroes?
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
12,080
Reaction score
22,285
I leave the mystery of Moon Knight for later and spring into action to help the old man against the rioters. As I approach I focus my sense of smell on the aroma, trying to figure out what it is.
Spidey marvels at the acrobatic grace Dagger displayed in her leap to the street. Maybe I was too hasty in thinking her an amateur, he thought but before he could give it any further consideration, his attention was diverted with the sound of breaking glass.

Spidey swings over and lands with his own acrobatic flourish in front of the old shopkeeper, between him and the looters. "Manners fellas! Didn't anyone ever teach you to respect your elders? You should all go sleep it off! But if you'd prefer, I'm more than willing to crack a few heads!"

He prepares himself for a fight should his words have no effect.
Daredevil and Spider-Man, coming from different directions, swing down, almost simultaneously, to place themselves between the group of thugs and the elderly grocer they are menacing. Daredevil, having teamed up with Spider-Man on multiple occasions, has no difficult recognizing the latter due to his distinctive muffled voice, heartbeat, and scent. Spider-Man, of course, immediately recognizes ol' Hornhead.
Moon Knight will swing down to aid the storefront owner trying to kick two looters aside as he swings down among them and making space so he can aid the broom wielding owner. "Back off savages!" he yells as he strikes with both feet forward with all the force of his might and the aid of gravity. "You will not harm him while Moon Knight stands!"

Roll: 78 for kick attack on the first with an aim to knock him into another. (Note: I didn't want to respond too soon, but I'll pick up the pace if wanted. I just don't want to rush everyone else.
After the kick, he drops tugging the hook free and letting it return to the truncheon as he prepares himself for a fist-to-fist fight.
As Spider-Man attempts to warn off the ruffians, Moon Knight also descends onto the scene from the same direction whence Daredevil came, only Moon Knight's approach is more direct as he performs a swing allowing him to kick two of the looters, bowling them over and knocking them out for the nonce. Moon Knight realizes now that Daredevil was the figure stalking him on the rooftops earlier.
Dagger throws one of her light-daggers into the rioting crowd, targeting one of the biggest and most violent of the lot. She's more interested in seeing if they might have been drugged in some way that the actual damage it might do, although if it takes them out of the fight that works as well.
OOC: can she see any of the other heroes?
Dagger hurls one of her namesake daggers of coherent light at the largest and most menacing of the looters, a huge bald muscleman in a sleeveless tee-shirt, rendering him unconscious.

To Daredevil, it seems like the big guy abruptly crumples at his midsection and falls over without cause, as he has no way to detect the blade of light thrown by girl--and he has no way of identifying Dagger, for that matter, for although he may have read or heard about Cloak and Dagger, they've never met in person and all his radar sense tells him is that there's a svelte young woman on the scene who is clearly apart from the crowd.

Moon Knight simply sees a slim young woman in a skintight white costume with a daring neckline, but having seen her toss a blade of light that took out a well-muscled thug he knows there must be more to her than that.

Dagger, for her part, is familiar with Spider-Man and would be well aware of Daredevil and Moon Knight's presence in New York.

The unconscious looters begin to froth at the mouth in a manner reminiscent of rabid dogs. Daredevil's enhanced sense of smell leads him to believe they've all imbibed--perhaps--some derivative of scopolamine, but nothing he's encountered in the past--though how and why is impossible to say at the moment.

The sudden attacks of Moon Knight and Dagger have the effect of causing rioters in the immediate vicinity to scatter, but a few bolder thugs climb through the broken storefront window of the grocery store intent on getting away from the fracas but also getting what they can from the store.

The old grocer puts his down his broom and addresses the colorfully costumed quartet: "Thank you! I don't mean to kvetch, but could you maybe get them out of my store, too, if it's not asking too much? Oy vey iz mir!"

From inside the store, you can all hear shelves being overturned and canned goods clattering against floor tiles, as well as the hissing, chattering, gnawing, and rustling of numerous rats.
 
Last edited:

Tulpa Girl

Still looking for my first TPK.
Joined
Nov 14, 2018
Messages
841
Reaction score
1,926
"I think they've been drugged," Dagger says to Spider-Man, as he is the one that she at least somewhat knows. She then motions to the hundreds or rioters in the street. "Can you web them up before they hurt themselves or anyone else?" She gives a quick glance at Daredevil and Moon Knight, then says to Spider-Man, "We can handle the ones inside the grocery."
 

Toric

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 8, 2019
Messages
251
Reaction score
189
"Where's tall, dark and brooding? Sulking in a shadowy alley somewhere?" Spidey says to Dagger. Without waiting for an answer, he swings into the air while simultaneously spraying webbing into the crowd of dispersing rioters, attempting to restrain them all and keep them from leaving the general vicinity and moving off to loot some other store.

When that is done, hopefully successfully, he swings back over and lands just outside the grocery to see if Hornhead, Dagger and Moon Knight need any assistance with the looters who managed to get inside the store. "Anyone need a Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man?" he calls into the store.

OOC: Is a roll necessary to web up some looters? I was messing around on Orokos.com and rolled an 11 which is pretty bad and then a 94. Mainly just trying to get the hang of that website. If a roll was needed, the 11 was first, so I assume Spidey would have to have made another pass around them in the air to get them webbed up, or maybe some would have gotten away?
 
Last edited:

Voros

Doomed Investigator
Joined
Sep 23, 2017
Messages
6,001
Reaction score
8,430
I stand in front of the grocer and say 'Stay close to me.' I raise my club ready to throw it if needed. 'The crowd is definitely drugged, don't seriously harm them.'
 

Silverlion

Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2017
Messages
572
Reaction score
801
"I can go in, but if you two have it handled, I'm sure I can be of aid elsewhere this night. Innocents are caught up in this, a horrid injustice that must be set right. We also need to find out the source of the drug, or the poisoner. Just let me know if this impromptu gathering of us costumed sorts has a single source, so he or she can be laid low in the dark." He says waiting for an answer from the others as he casts his gaze around looking for any groups forming elsewhere. "I have the sacred tools of Khonshu that might aid in the search," he says as he pulls out the Ankh.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
12,080
Reaction score
22,285
"I think they've been drugged," Dagger says to Spider-Man, as he is the one that she at least somewhat knows. She then motions to the hundreds or rioters in the street. "Can you web them up before they hurt themselves or anyone else?" She gives a quick glance at Daredevil and Moon Knight, then says to Spider-Man, "We can handle the ones inside the grocery."
"Where's tall, dark and brooding? Sulking in a shadowy alley somewhere?" Spidey says to Dagger. Without waiting for an answer, he swings into the air while simultaneously spraying webbing into the crowd of dispersing rioters, attempting to restrain them all and keep them from leaving the general vicinity and moving off to loot some other store.

When that is done, hopefully successfully, he swings back over and lands just outside the grocery to see if Hornhead, Dagger and Moon Knight need any assistance with the looters who managed to get inside the store. "Anyone need a Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man?" he calls into the store.

OOC: Is a roll necessary to web up some looters? I was messing around on Orokos.com and rolled an 11 which is pretty bad and then a 94. Mainly just trying to get the hang of that website. If a roll was needed, the 11 was first, so I assume Spidey would have to have made another pass around them in the air to get them webbed up, or maybe some would have gotten away?
Yes, a roll would be needed since they don't want to be webbed and are trying to get away.

Spider-Man attempts to ensnare some of the fleeing looters with his webs, but one of his web-shooters seems to have jammed--nothing a quick tap doesn't fix. He leaps onto the side of the building and tries again from a better angle, using his other web-shooter, and captures a number of nearby looters, though a few manage to avoid it.

When you get on the building, your Spider-Sense begins to tingle. You feel danger lurks within the grocery store.[/i]
I stand in front of the grocer and say 'Stay close to me.' I raise my club ready to throw it if needed. 'The crowd is definitely drugged, don't seriously harm them.'
"I can go in, but if you two have it handled, I'm sure I can be of aid elsewhere this night. Innocents are caught up in this, a horrid injustice that must be set right. We also need to find out the source of the drug, or the poisoner. Just let me know if this impromptu gathering of us costumed sorts has a single source, so he or she can be laid low in the dark." He says waiting for an answer from the others as he casts his gaze around looking for any groups forming elsewhere. "I have the sacred tools of Khonshu that might aid in the search," he says as he pulls out the Ankh.
While your quartet guards the grocer, you attract the attention of about a dozen thugs who look to be members of a motorcycle club. They each wear a leather jacket with various patches stitched on, and some wear biker helmets and leather caps. The words "GRIM REAPERS M.C." are emblazoned on the backs of their jackets. They're armed variously with switchblades, chains, baseball bats, and broken bottles, and they're swarming down through the vacant lot. Their eyes are crazed and they seem like sharks in a feeding frenzy about to rush you.

The Ankh begins to glow--the closer you get to the grocery store, the brighter it glows.

From inside the grocey store, you all hear a gruff, bellicose voice bellow, "I ain't waitin' for nothin'! That's Spider-Man out there and I owe him a beating!" The shouting is followed by the sound of shelves being knocked over and glass breaking.

"Oh! My poor store!" exclaims the white-haired grocer. "Without it I have bupkes!"
 
Last edited:

Toric

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 8, 2019
Messages
251
Reaction score
189
With his Spider-Sense warning him of danger inside the grocery store, Spidey swings down off the roof and straight through the front door of the store.

"Anyone need a Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man?" he calls out as he lands, scanning the room for the source triggering his Spider-Sense.

OOC: Agility roll to swing gracefully into the store=28. Not sure if a roll was needed but if so, at Amazing Agility, that roll was barely a green result.
 
Last edited:

Tulpa Girl

Still looking for my first TPK.
Joined
Nov 14, 2018
Messages
841
Reaction score
1,926
"I can go in, but if you two have it handled, I'm sure I can be of aid elsewhere this night. Innocents are caught up in this, a horrid injustice that must be set right. We also need to find out the source of the drug, or the poisoner. Just let me know if this impromptu gathering of us costumed sorts has a single source, so he or she can be laid low in the dark." He says waiting for an answer from the others as he casts his gaze around looking for any groups forming elsewhere. "I have the sacred tools of Khonshu that might aid in the search," he says as he pulls out the Ankh.
After Moon Knight leaves, Dagger turns to Daredevil and asks, "Does he always talk like that?"

From inside the grocey store, you all hear a gruff, bellicose voice bellow, "I ain't waitin' for nothin', that's Spider-Man out there and I owe him a beating!" The shouting is followed by the sound of shelves being knocked over and glass breaking.

"Oh! My poor store!" exclaims the white-haired grocer. "Without it I have bupkes!"
Entering the grocery store, she follows the bellowing voice, and upon seeing whoever in there is causing the ruckus, hurls a light-dagger in their direction to try to take them out quickly.


OOC: roll of 39, which just barely misses, unless there's a positive CS modifier for whatever reason.
 
Last edited:

Voros

Doomed Investigator
Joined
Sep 23, 2017
Messages
6,001
Reaction score
8,430
‘He’s a strange one,’ I say as I throw my billy club to bounce off the heads of the bikers and lead throw myself into their midst to bust heads.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
12,080
Reaction score
22,285
‘He’s a strange one,’ I say as I throw my billy club to bounce off the heads of the bikers and lead throw myself into their midst to bust heads.
Give us an Agility roll for the billy club maneuver and another Agility roll for the acrobatic maneuver (and don't forget that Daredevil has the Acrobatics Talent). I don't need to know the actual rolls as long as you post what color the results were: white, green, yellow, or red.

Also: the rest of you see Spider-Man swinging off the side of the building and through the front door of the grocery store.

I'll update once we have Moon Knight's action. Given that multiple characters may be trying to take similar actions, I'll apply initiative where needed to see whose action takes place first, second, third, etc.
 

Silverlion

Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2017
Messages
572
Reaction score
801
"The grocery seems to be the most dangerous, I'm going in. It's riskier than out here, the ankh's glow warns of danger." He says as he slides the ankh away and draws throwing irons in its place. "I don't always talk like that, but a little melodrama never hurts.." he says with a short laugh and then takes an acrobatic leap through the window to keep his eyes open for any dangers inside and to avoid the remnants of glass.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
12,080
Reaction score
22,285
"The grocery seems to be the most dangerous, I'm going in. It's riskier than out here, the ankh's glow warns of danger." He says as he slides the ankh away and draws throwing irons in its place. "I don't always talk like that, but a little melodrama never hurts.." he says with a short laugh and then takes an acrobatic leap through the window to keep his eyes open for any dangers inside and to avoid the remnants of glass.
Give us an Agility roll (including any Acrobatics modifier) and post the color of your result. Just in case anything might interfere with your success...:devil:
 

Silverlion

Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2017
Messages
572
Reaction score
801
84 Which is Yellow, is the Moon Up? It doesn't make a difference on this roll, but just for future reference.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
12,080
Reaction score
22,285
...is the Moon Up? It doesn't make a difference on this roll, but just for future reference.
It's currently about 12:15 in the early afternoon, so the sun is up. The sun will set at 8:30 p.m. in New York City on July 7, 1984 per the almanac I checked. When the moon is visible, it will be a waxing gibbous moon, 68% visible.

I'll update what happens once we get @Voros's billy club and acrobatics roll results.
 

Silverlion

Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2017
Messages
572
Reaction score
801
I was curious because it is sometimes up in the day--and it does note that it comes up mid-afternoon on a waxing gibbous, so still too early. Anyway. So normal stats! I'm good I just thought I'd share
 

Voros

Doomed Investigator
Joined
Sep 23, 2017
Messages
6,001
Reaction score
8,430
I get Yellow for the billyclub and yellow for the acrobatics.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
12,080
Reaction score
22,285
Spider-Man swings through the door, followed closely by Dagger, even as Moon Knight enters through the large shattered storefront window. Inside, the store's overhead lighting flickers off and on, resulting in only dim light to operate by. Shelves are overturned and canned goods and cereal boxes from a promotional display are scattered across the floor near the entrance. Large rats are gnawing at bagged nuts and assorted fruits and vegetables in the produce section to your left. You see a furry, man-sized silhouette dart around the shelves at the back end of the produce section where the store is darker and you reason the refrigerators would likely be. More immediately concerning is that you now stand face to face with the Scorpion and Sabretooth, whose discussion you've apparently just interrupted as Dagger's hurled light blade flies within inches of the two well-known criminals-for-hire.
Scorpion.jpg3Sabretooth.jpg
"Dibs on Spider-Man!" shouts the Scorpion. "I owe him for all the humiliation he's heaped on me over the years!"

"I owe him, too," growls Sabretooth in reply, "but I'll let you have your way since that leaves two for me!" He claws a come-hither gesture to Dagger and Moon Knight and flashes a nasty fanged grin.
Your Spider-Sense is buzzing like an angry bee inside your brain--as if you didn't realize the danger.
Everybody needs to chuck a d10 for Initiative no matter whether you want to fight or retreat. As for the store interior, anything that would ordinarily be inside a mom-and-pop urban grocery store can be found here, so feel free to describe anything reasonable. So chuck a d10 and then tell me what you're doing, and roll any other necessary dice as well.

The solid thud of impact of your billy club, followed almost immediately by a metallic-sounding ricochet, indicates that you've managed to inflict hard hits on two of the bikers. You hear another thud as the first biker falls, but the sound of the ricochet alerts you to the fact that the second biker is wearing a helmet: he's hurt, but not down.

After you leap into the midst of the Grim Reapers, you realize that Spider-Man, Moon Knight, and Dagger have gone the other way and you're now alone against...counting footfalls...ten angry bikers. You hear the metal-on-metal slide of switchblades and feel the displaced air of swung bats and bottles and wonder if taking on ten armed bikers by yourself was the best idea. You're almost glad you can't see them--even more, you almost wish you couldn't smell them as they stink of body odor, guzzled beer, and dried vomit. Judging again by the spacing of their collective footfalls, you realize they're trying to circle you, the better to beat your brains in. At the moment, they form a semicircle and you still have a chance to back away to the grocery store if you can move faster than the Grim Reapers.

You need to chuck a d10 for Initiative no matter whether you want to fight or retreat. So chuck a d10 and then tell me what you're doing, and roll any other necessary dice as well.
 
Last edited:

Voros

Doomed Investigator
Joined
Sep 23, 2017
Messages
6,001
Reaction score
8,430
I roll a 1 on intiative. I throw my billyclub again to take out a few of the bikers before it returns to me and flip over the oncoming bikers using one of their heads as a vaulting point and run after my fellow supes. Yellow result.
 
Top