Masters of the Universe (by CMON)

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Tommy Brownell

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
I know we first talked about this in the media thread, but they are starting designer diaries for the board game now on their site.

Not really much to go off of yet, other than - if that model is any indication - than TristramEvans TristramEvans' fear that they were going to be chibi-style is unfounded.

Those are looking great. I would prefer Man-at-Arms with a mace, though.

I'm hoping we get several alternate versions of each of the main characters. I really want a Teela in her original Snake headdress/armour

I’m the opposite: I want to go as deep into the roster as we can, and the more alternates we have, the fewer deep cuts we get.

I’m the opposite: I want to go as deep into the roster as we can, and the more alternates we have, the fewer deep cuts we get.

Well, it's CMON, I doubt we'll have any shortage of minis filling up the campaign

I’m still stinging from people left out of the two Marvel United campaigns…and there were a TON of characters in those.

I’m still stinging from people left out of the two Marvel United campaigns…and there were a TON of characters in those.

lol, the Marvel universe is an extreme example. MOTU we're dealing with what - 8 waves of action figures total, plus a few cartoon-only characters?

Valid point.

I am hoping like Hell that She-Ra and the Horde make it in. They’re in the Europe only game from Archon.

Valid point.

I am hoping like Hell that She-Ra and the Horde make it in. They’re in the Europe only game from Archon.

Yeah, I saw that. I wonder if that's a separate license here. It would be a shame if we didn't get her for some reason. Plus, Hordak and the Horde are a good change of pace for villains from just all Snake Mountain cronies all the time.

Where’s the highly sought after Stinkor mini?

So, figures they've shown in promotional material so far...

Beastman, He-Man & Battle Cat, He-Man with Sword, Man-at-Arms, Mer-Man, Orko, Ram Man, Skeletor & Panthro, Skeletor with Staff, Teela, Trap Jaw

Characters I'm 99.9% certain will be featured in the campaign:
Buzz-Off, Clawful, Evil-Lyn, Faker, Fisto, Man-E-Faces, Mekaneck, Moss Man, Roboto, Sorceress, Stinkor, Stratos, Tri-Klops, Two-Bad, Whiplash, Zodak

Other Characters I consider highly likely (*some would raise to 99.9% certainty IF She-Ra is featured in the campaign):
Extendar, He-Ro, *Hordak, *Horde Trooper, Jitsu, King Hiss, Kobra Khan, *Leech, *Mantenna, Modulok, Multi-Bot, Rattlor, Scare Glow, Sy-Klone, Webstor

Characters I think have a lower likelihood/wouldn't be surprised if I don't see:
Blast-Attak, Clamp Champ, Cliff Climber, Dragstor, Gore-illa, King Rhandor, Megator, Mosquitor, Ninjor, Rio Blast, Rokkon, Rotar, Snake Face, Snout Spout, Spikor, Sssqueeze, Stonedar, Tung Lashor, Tytus, Wonderbread He-Man

Characters I'm 99.9% certain WILL NOT be included:
Blade, Gwildor, Saurod

I hope the Snake Men make it in from that last list. Otherwise, I'd be pretty happy with the first three lists.

I feel like Gwildor is totally making it in, though, even though he totally shouldn't be anywhere near it.

Just give me a Season Two led off with He-Man and Skeletor variants and it'll all be good.

I hope the Snake Men make it in from that last list. Otherwise, I'd be pretty happy with the first three lists.

They could easily do an entire Snake Men-themed expansion, which would be very appropriate to how the toys were introduced.

I feel like Gwildor is totally making it in, though, even though he totally shouldn't be anywhere near it.

Different license. They only got around it in the Classics action figure line by claiming the figures were "based on the artwork" of one of the film's creative designers (and was more a *wink-wink* slipped under the rug exception), but Mattel doesn't own the rights to those characters.

It will be interesting to see if they introduce any of the vehicles.

Valid point.

That game also has He-Ro as a stretch goal, which makes me unduly jealous.

Different license. They only got around it in the Classics action figure line by claiming the figures were "based on the artwork" of one of the film's creative designers (and was more a *wink-wink* slipped under the rug exception), but Mattel doesn't own the rights to those characters.

I think Gwildor, Blade, and Saurod are open based on the fact that they got vintage toys. Karg is the one where Classics had to do the lateral move of basing him on the character's appearance in a story in the magazine.

As for your other list, the Cliff Climber's made it into the Mega Construx line, so that might not be as deep a cut as you think, although I'd expect it to be an item card or something rather than a full-fledged miniature. Similarly, Clamp Champ, Ninjor, and Mosquitor have already shown up in Origins, and King Randor's probably second-tier considering his importance in the overall mythology. The Energy Zoids, Giants, and Meteorbs are definitely deep cuts and highly unlikely.

I think Gwildor, Blade, and Saurod are open based on the fact that they got vintage toys. Karg is the one where Classics had to do the lateral move of basing him on the character's appearance in a story in the magazine.

There's a Youtube channel called Spector Creative run by Scott Neitlich, the senior brand analyst for Mattel, known in the industry as the "toyguru" as the driving force behind many of the largest toy lines of the 80's an 90's. More specifically, he is manager of the Masters of the Universe line. His channel has some fascinating insights into the origin and development of Masters of the Universe, among other toylines, from an insider's perspective.

Anyways, it was in one of his videos he explained the situation with the characters created for the film (Gwildor, etc). I wish I could pull it up and link it here, but there's no video with the title "what's up with the movie character's license?" because it was part of some other very long video most likely on another subject entirely, because that's kinda what his videos are like - he goes on more tangents than a Swordfish Island thread.

Anyways, highly recommend checking his channel out. Here's a cool one I watched recently:

There's a Youtube channel called Spector Creative run by Scott Neitlich, the senior brand analyst for Mattel, known in the industry as the "toyguru" as the driving force behind many of the largest toy lines of the 80's an 90's. More specifically, he is manager of the Masters of the Universe line. His channel has some fascinating insights into the origin and development of Masters of the Universe, among other toylines, from an insider's perspective.

I know of Neitlich, and if that's what he's claiming, he's overstating matters a bit. He was the brand manager for Mattel's Masters of the Universe Classics line in the 2010s, and he had a lot of access to vintage records and material, but he wasn't involved in the original stuff himself.

I know of Neitlich, and if that's what he's claiming, he's overstating matters a bit. He was the brand manager for Mattel's Masters of the Universe Classics line in the 2010s, and he had a lot of access to vintage records and material, but he wasn't involved in the original stuff himself.

Maybe that's my bad then, but he's about as close to an expert I'm aware of. I know a little less about MOTU than I did the last time it was an important part of my life, when I was 5.

Gwildor was name checked in the European campaign's trademark info, for whatever that's worth.

Anyways, it was in one of his videos he explained the situation with the characters created for the film (Gwildor, etc). I wish I could pull it up and link it here, but there's no video with the title "what's up with the movie character's license?" because it was part of some other very long video most likely on another subject entirely, because that's kinda what his videos are like - he goes on more tangents than a Swordfish Island thread.

Anyways, highly recommend checking his channel out. Here's a cool one I watched recently:

Does he explain this one?

0AB409E6-8AE9-4D0B-9C6B-D7B88D8E94D2.jpeg

Awesome minis, but I doubt I’ll ever run an Eternia RPG or play the boardgame, and the minis won’t be of use for anything else but some kind of Gamma World/mutant campaign. Trying to keep the KS’s down to stuff I know I’ll use, that’s gonna be too expensive as it is. :shade: :sweat:

Is this the campaign that won't be shipped to certain countries? Like, it's Euro-only or something?

Is this the campaign that won't be shipped to certain countries? Like, it's Euro-only or something?

The Euro one already happened, this is the North American counterpart

Just based on the renders, I think we got better end of the deal on this side o the pond

The Euro one is definitely based in the MotU Classics (2008-2014) continuity; the American one isn't clear yet, but seems to be more rooted in the vintage toyline and cartoon.

I’ll actually be playing the game, though, and theirs looks like a fun adventure game. Ours looks like a fun skirmish game. I’m fine with both, but the former appeals to me more.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back