Masters of the Universe (by CMON)

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
The Pledge Manager has just opened, and will run through February 15th.
Yep! I ran through it to see what the shipping costs would be.

Since we can wait until Feb 15th, I'm totally going for a bigger pledge than initially planned. I want that 3D Castle Grayskull, dammit.

OOF I may need convincing about the Castle expansion.

With shipping, getting core + the three other expansions gets me to 300$ USD, even.

The All-in pledge, which includes the above + the Castle expansion (and plastic toy of the castle) brings me up to 400$ USD (with shipping).

Can someone convince me that this Castle Greyskull expansion is worth another 100$? I'm starting to get cold feet...

Christmas, 1983, I still recall the feeling of pulling off that wrapping paper to reveal the original box for Caste Grayskull, in all it's Earl Noram box-art beauty...

castle-grayskull-man-motu-skeletor_1_05d5bf602651f9462d7497871d93e3d8.jpg

I can't imagine not getting Castle Grayskull to go with my new He-man adult toys

It is the centerpiece of Eternia, the bastion of nostalgia for a world that only ever existed in my young imagination

The tale of how my parents rushed around town to find that toy is retold at every Christmas. It was the greatest gift I had ever received as a child (well, before getting the Millenium Falcon... and the Super Nintendo). But you catch my drift.

Seeing that box again... okay you twisted my arm you magnificent bastard.

My parents had family compassing the entire state for an Eternia playset ... and after finding one and putting it under the tree, they went up, nabbed the other one on the post-Christmas sales (originally marked half off, just reduced further to 75% off as they were picking it up) and then returned the original for a full refund.

I sometimes tell them they would have done better in the long run to keep them both. :smile:

Pledge manager deadline is about a month away.

How do others feel about the solo/co-op options? The game was primarily designed as a one vs. many competitive game, but I rather like the AI deck ideas and rules.

Honestly, my intention is to ditch CMON's rules and do an adaption of the system used for the Conan and Batman:GC boardgames

Honestly, my intention is to ditch CMON's rules and do an adaption of the system used for the Conan and Batman:GC boardgames
Neat. I must look into that. Are there co-op/solo rules for those games?

On another note, have we gotten any specific dimensions for the plastic Castle Grayskull? I'm very much looking forward to that piece. The pictures so far kind of give me vague impression as to size...

Neat. I must look into that. Are there co-op/solo rules for those games?

Um...there will be in my version, so I can playtest it

What I really like about the system is the ebb and flow of dynamic combat that it captures, and the use of the "river" as a way to activate and empower enemies.

I will be streamlining it, though, and bringing in some of the "villain A.I" elements from Townsfolk Tussle via KD:M and the Dark Souls boardgame. Right now I'm just working on graphics and templates and then I'll be testing my rules with a print& play paper version, hoping to get the kinks out before the game arrives

The most recent Conan the Conqueror expansion has solo and coop rules.

On that note, I received two large boxes today with my Conan the Conqueror pledge today, as well as a bunch of add ons. The game is so good.

Well, it is done: I saved up for months and went ahead with the Game play all-in (all the expansions + plastic Greyskull). It is a lot of dough, but I wanted to treat myself after a miserable holiday season (which ended on a positive note after I finally got the results for a cancer screening procedure that had been delayed for 2 years). I wanted to celebrate!

It is truly an experience: saving up every month for a big expense (rather than adding a huge chunk to credit card debt). No buyer’s remorse (yet).

I re-read the game rules and watched several video reviews, including really negative ones. Eventually decided that YES I really want this.

Now to forget about it for about a year, hahaha

Meanwhile, Marvel United X-Men wave 2 is running about two months early.

Spinmaster has some connections somewhere, if the rest of the CMON Kickstarters are running behind.

I can't believe that we are around 1 month away for Marvel United: X-Men to start shipping for Australia and NZ. Its like 11 boxes and has taken 9 months since being funded.

I can't believe that we are around 1 month away for Marvel United: X-Men to start shipping for Australia and NZ. Its like 11 boxes and has taken 9 months since being funded.

Yeah, the Marvel United Kickstarters set unrealistic expectations for me in regards to CMON production and shipping speed...took me a bit to figure out that it's probably because of Spinmaster that it's moving as fast.

On the other hand, it makes Marvel Zombicide even more appealing, because it's probably gonna move pretty fast, too...

I want the Marvel Zombicide minis, but I don’t care much for the game itself…

edit: by that I mean, I already have 3 Zombicide games that I love and can’t rationalize another one

So Clash for Eternia is starting to arrive at peoples' doorsteps (still a few weeks delay for us Canucks).

Anyone get it yet?

TristramEvans TristramEvans did you ever hash out those house rules?

Uh, no, backed out of the campaign at the last minute. Something more urgent for my money came up.

Trying not to think about it too much TBH.

K so has anyone else got this and played it yet?

I have and it was really fun. HOWEVER, there are some weird ambiguities in the rules and we're waiting for an official answer from the game designers.

Prime example: the rulebook explicitly says "Do X", while the player aid card says "Do X+1". That "+1" is a brutal difference. There are camps on both sides of the debate. My gut instinct is that the rulebook is the source of truth and that player aids are optional.

Specifically:

In AI-Controller mode, according to the rulebook, it's only 1 AI Strategy Card per Strategy Activation, whereas the player aid card says 2 AI Strategy cards!

If anyone has any insights or experiences on this, it would be appreciated. Yes I've spammed every other channel I could think of (except Twitter, fuck Twitter).

Edit: In last night's game, Catra tried to mess me up (Fisto). I lived and then punched her off the board. It was amazing. She-Ra gave me a high-five (played by my in-real-life sister), 'cause Catra was being a catty, jealous pest to her all night.

Ah so apparently we're supposed to draw 2 AI Strategy cards. It was a misprint or accidental omission in the rulebook.

Not that anyone here plays this LOL

Shipping is still in progress, so a lot of folks are still waiting for theirs. I haven't gotten my ship notice yet.

So I’ve played half a dozen games now, all co-op but one solo.

It turns out that I was playing the game incorrectly. Making the enemy AI characters WAY too powerful. So fixing that, as well as adjusting the difficulty a little bit (drawing only 1 AI Strategy card instead of 2), the game is actually fun now instead of an oppressive slog.

Introduced the game to a group of francophone 10-year olds, and despite the linguistic and age barriers, they loved it and started to really get the hang of the flow about halfway through. That’s a great sign.

The game may not be the most elegant set of rules in existence, but we find it hugely fun. Every character combination makes each game feel unique.

Glad that I invested in this.

Yeah, I found Kowl hiding in the bubble wrap. They didn't have to go so hard on canon as to make you do a search game for the mini box!

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back