Masters of the Universe: Revelation (new cartoon)

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
It's hard because the original art has a pretty dark tone, the mini-comics are sword and sorcery with a hint of Kirby's New Gods, the DC mini-series was like the TV show but a little harder edged, the TV show was campy and silly with an occasional touch of the world building and darkness showing through. The toy line started out cool and got dumber and sillier as it progressed. So it's really hard to pin Masters of the Universe down and do it "right."

I've been a He-Man fan from its very beginning, and practically from my own very beginning. I haven't found bad He-Man yet.

Right now, I would say I prefer the recent DC run to most anything else, followed by the 2002 cartoon, and then the minicomics. But it's all love.

You're more forgiving than I am. I found the New Adventures underwhelming both times I gave them a chance (original run and again in 1997) and consider the Classics canon and most of the DC comics overwrought as well. My own preference is for the vintage toy line, followed by 2002.

The "Mount Glory" stuff I posted on the game design forum a couple years ago was a Masters of the Universe riff.

Last edited:
It's hard because the original art has a pretty dark tone, the mini-comics are sword and sorcery with a hint of Kirby's New Gods, the DC mini-series was like the TV show but a little harder edged, the TV show was campy and silly with an occasional touch of the world building and darkness showing through. The toy line started out cool and got dumber and sillier as it progressed. So it's really hard to pin Masters of the Universe down and do it "right."
Fun Fact: It's more than a hint. The original design crew was working on a New God's project, and got shifted over to MOTU. And like most artists, they didn't want all their unused work to lay around languishing so they repurposed a lot of it.

View attachment 31055

I remember getting this for Christmas, 1982. Some of my favorite toy packaging ever.

Oh, yes. Mine showed up for Christmas in 1983, and I've never forgotten that box or the toy within. (1984 brought Snake Mountain, 1985 the Fright Zone, and 1986 the magnificent Eternia Playset.)

I got a Slime Pit in early 1986 when it came out, a replacement when the mechanism for lowering the skull broke ... and travelling through Iowa on my way home from college for Spring Break in 1999, I stopped in a small-town Coast to Coast hardware store and found one in the box on the shelves. I didn't have the cash to pick it up at the time, but I mentioned it to my parents, and it showed up as a college graduation gift a couple of months later. :grin:

I couldn’t imagine sliming an action figure. I was very anal about how I took care of my toys. I rarely lost accessories and was very careful not to leave toys outside or even volunteer to loan them to friends. I was like that after I got into G.I.Joe.

I couldn’t imagine sliming an action figure. I was very anal about how I took care of my toys. I rarely lost accessories and was very careful not to leave toys outside or even volunteer to loan them to friends. I was like that after I got into G.I.Joe.

The slime actually came off pretty easy, from what I recall. It was almost like the consistency of plastic dough, not sticky

The slime actually came off pretty easy, from what I recall. It was almost like the consistency of plastic dough, not sticky

Yes, and Masters of the Universe figures usually had very few joints or crevices for Slime to get stuck in. Plus, they specifically warned you on the 'care and feeding of Slime' insert "Don't use this with any characters with flocking or soft goods, batteries, or water-squirting mechanisms."

Not to be confused with the canned ghost...

s-l1600.jpg

50073717923_961bfb8a05_o.jpg

Seems relatively faithful. I still miss the old rotoscoped animation, but I'm definitely not the audience they need to please

So I see He-Ro. Is King (?) Adam still around?

I like how it's nothing by the first episode, Nice try, Kevin Smith, but those of us who have been paying attention know better than to be fooled by a rather lovely trailer.

Say what now?

Are you referencing the rumours that Smith's series was going to star Teela?

Say what now?

Are you referencing the rumours that Smith's series was going to star Teela?
Not a rumour. It's been confirmed multiple times, INCLUDING the original press release of 2 or so years go. Not to mention by both the Netflix synopsis AND the Title Card change. It's no longer He-Man, it's Masters of The Universe. This is Teela's show.

I like how it's nothing by the first episode, Nice try, Kevin Smith, but those of us who have been paying attention know better than to be fooled by a rather lovely trailer. Powerhouse always does great work, though.
There are a couple bits that appear to be from later episodes--the shot of Mer-Man doesn't fit in, and the Orko vs. Scare Glow sequence features post-Ep1-design Teela in a long shot--but I'm think you're generally right. Smith's own interview talking about starting from the Filmation baseline and then "losing its innocence" crushed any lingering optimism I might have had.

If it’s about Teela, so what?
It wouldn't be such a bad thing, except that Teela is now likely the Girl Whose The Key to Everything. She's the real hero of the Masters of the Universe, and given how modern entertainment has become of late, she's likely to be ALWAYS RIGHT, no matter how wrong or mistaken the audience may feel about her actions.

Most people who are into this want a HE-MAN show. Not a show about a side, supporting character whose arc, while important, was not the focal point of the property. They want to see He-Man struggle and win. There's also something of a Toy that's been released which is tied into the show, which implies that He-Man will lose and will no longer be He-Man.

figurine-skelegod-masters-of-the-universe-revelation.jpg

The sword he's holding in his right hand is The Sword of Power.

So the Wikipedia entry does confirm apparently the show is going to be all about Teela:

Masters of the Universe: Revelation is an upcoming American adult animated superhero fantasy streaming television series developed by Kevin Smith and produced by Powerhouse Animation Studios. A sequel to the 1983–1985 Filmation series He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, Masters of the Universe: Revelation is set after the final battle between He-Man and Skeletor and tells the tale of Teela, a former captain of the guard of Castle Grayskull who, after the destruction of Eternia, seeks out the missing Sword of Power to prevent the end of the universe.

...which, to be fair, based on that trailer alone, seems like a bit of a bait and switch. I wouldn't mind a show about Teela (assuming it's the same character from the old show), she's a ery interesting character with a great backstory but I can see why any fan wanting more clasic He-Man would be disappointed.

It's kinda like them doing a new GI Joe series, but all the Joes die at the beginning and the whole thing turns out to be about Lady Jay.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that at all. If it was Scarlett instead, I'd be doubly happy with it.

Just saying I can see some people feeling like it was a bait and switch. If you go in to a pizza parlour and they serve you hot dogs, it doesn't matter how good the hot dogs are, it's understandable to be upset that you're not getting pizza

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back