Masters of the Universe: Revelation (new cartoon)

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Well. it’s no bait and switch here. They say Teela is front and center and if she is, great. Now would Chris be mad if they said Teela was front and center and it turns out Adam is?

Well. it’s no bait and switch here. They say Teela is front and center and if she is, great. Now would Chris be mad if they said Teela was front and center and it turns out Adam is?

I can't speak for Chris, and I suspect we have very different views on the matter.

But I am acceeding that the trailer gives exactly zero indication this is a Teela-centric show, if the plot synopsis on Wikipedia is to be believed.

I think the trailer is just supposed to show off those awesome graphics and a little Mark Hamill in there.

You must be in contact with a lot of people if you know what most people want.
I love this fallacy. Please, there wouldn't be as much damage control on the various trades if there wasn't enough of the audience that has issues.

They say it's a He-Man show, and then remove He-Man. That's not bait and switch? OK.

I just see Masters of the Universe: Revelation. It’s not He-Man and the Masters of the Universe.

You can have difference of opinion but there’s no reason to attack other posters.

Look, it doesn't matter if the official title is Masters of the Universe or He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, fans of the old He-Man-- any of the old He-Man, because they're all old He-Man now-- are going to expect that the show's going to be about He-Man, and this first (and only, so far) trailer is promising us a show that's going to be first and foremost about He-Man. Maybe less He-Man than the original, to focus more on other characters-- especially Teela, but it looks like Orko's getting his time in the sun too-- but, first and foremost, He-Man.

Unlike Chris Brady, I believe the trailer. But if the trailer is a lie, I'm going to be pissed. And it's fair to speculate, given prior statements, how much of the new He-Man show is going to be about He-Man. I think those concerns are overblown, but they're far from baseless.

I'm just going to go into "wait and see" mode. I hope it's good, but I won't be too concerned if it's not. It will, no matter what, most likely be better than the MOTU movie we got when I was a kid.

I'm just going to go into "wait and see" mode. I hope it's good, but I won't be too concerned if it's not. It will, no matter what, most likely be better than the MOTU movie we got when I was a kid.
HATED that movie as a kid.

Appreciate it more now.

I don’t know if I’ll actually watch this. I find I have a REALLY hard time getting invested in animation as I get older.

HATED that movie as a kid.

Appreciate it more now.

I don’t know if I’ll actually watch this. I find I have a REALLY hard time getting invested in animation as I get older.

It's the first movie that I saw in theatres by myself without my parents. And the first movie that I recall really disappointed me.

These days I appreciate Frank Langella's performance as Skeletor, which I think is the only good thing in the film.

I'm not interested in this nonsense. It's just appeasement to toxic views that continue to go unchallenged as a result and have appreciable negative consequences to people and groups. So no, I'm not itnerested in being pleasant to bigots.

Congratulations on saving the world from opinions about children's cartoons by being unrepentant about making juvenile personal attacks.

Threadban, probably something harsher to follow considering your history.

Look, it doesn't matter if the official title is Masters of the Universe or He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, fans of the old He-Man-- any of the old He-Man, because they're all old He-Man now-- are going to expect that the show's going to be about He-Man, and this first (and only, so far) trailer is promising us a show that's going to be first and foremost about He-Man. Maybe less He-Man than the original, to focus more on other characters-- especially Teela, but it looks like Orko's getting his time in the sun too-- but, first and foremost, He-Man.

Unlike Chris Brady, I believe the trailer. But if the trailer is a lie, I'm going to be pissed. And it's fair to speculate, given prior statements, how much of the new He-Man show is going to be about He-Man. I think those concerns are overblown, but they're far from baseless.
I wish you're right. I sincerely do. I WANT to like this. I WANT to be wrong. Because I would be happy I got a good show!

But I have no faith in Kevin Smith. Zero. He's a well known shill and liar. But if I am wrong, I will be so pleased.

I imagine Lady Jay / Scarlet is a very well supported subgenre out there.

I think Skeletor is the key to a Masters of the Universe show. But the villain is the key to just about any superhero show.

There are strong indications that He-Man won't be a presence for a good chunk of the show--part of the plot involves a search for the lost Power Sword, and it appears Skeletor gets a hold of it at some point. Whether that's true or not, and whether the focus is on He-Man/Adam or Teela, I remain unsold thanks in large part to Smith's own comments--about how this takes the innocence of the Filmation cartoon and then "loses that innocence," that it includes stories of "abuse ... isolation [and] grief," and that "We build our entire story on who was left out of the secret [of He-Man's identity] and the damaging trickle-down effects of that" and "how that deception rots at the core."

I remain unsold thanks in large part to Smith's own comments--about how this takes the innocence of the Filmation cartoon and then "loses that innocence," that it includes stories of "abuse ... isolation [and] grief," and that "We build our entire story on who was left out of the secret [of He-Man's identity] and the damaging trickle-down effects of that" and "how that deception rots at the core."
I WISH this would be a gritty reboot for adults but it will probably deliver the same banal platitudes we've all heard a million times but reskinned to fit today's dominant cultural paradigms. Still, it looks like they are trying to inject some adult conflict and drama which seems like a good thing to me.

Last edited:
IDW did a multiversal crossover of the various Masters of the Universe versions, they called the original cartoon's hero "Annoyingly Chipper HeMan"

I think, it's better to think of MtoU as a classic superhero comic from the comics code days. You can hint at things and have subtext, but having bondage gear HeMan saying "fuck" and ripping people's spines out is best left to internet parodies. I did have Manly Man as an npc in my Heroes Unlimited campaign. The PCs are lucky I never got around to doing Skeletor.

To be clear, I use the term "gritty" in this discussion to mean harsh and brutal. I hold the unpopular opinion that themes such as nobility, heroism, and virtue are best explored in settings that are harsh and uncompromising. Gritty in this context isn't a code word for "more nudity and violence" or whatever the hell people think it means.

To be clear, I use the term "gritty" in this discussion to mean harsh and brutal. I hold the unpopular opinion that themes such as nobility, heroism, and virtue are best explored in settings that are harsh and uncompromising. Gritty in this context isn't a code word for "more nudity and violence" or whatever the hell people think it means.

I just assumed you wanted this plotline developed.

Fisto.jpg

They could ameliorate the “bait and switch” feel by:
- giving Teela her place on the marquee. “Teela and the Masters of the Universe” or “Masters of the Universe: Tesla’s [whatever]”
- showing Teela a bit more on the teaser trailers

Me, I don’t mind the premise, but I’ll pass judgement until I see the show. Too many great premises die in development.

I want it gritty, like 80s G.I.Joe comics gritty. I don’t want He-Man running people through with his power sword.
I just don't see it fitting HeMan. I want it more like Jack Kirby's Fourth World. Colorful weird and a bit silly.

In any case I wouldn't trust the entertainment industry to do anything so nuanced.

I just don't see it fitting HeMan. I want it more like Jack Kirby's Fourth World. Colorful weird and a bit silly.

In any case I wouldn't trust the entertainment industry to do anything so nuanced.
Fun fact, some of the people who worked on the He-Man toy were working on Kirby's 4th World stuff that they were trying to adapt to a toy line for I believe Kenner, but that fell through, so when they were working on He-Man, and like most artists they didn't want their stuff to be tossed, simply adapted it to He-Man. It was a proposal that they had been kicking around since the 70's, but like a lot of stuff that got past over (As Kenner actually got the 4th World stuff for their Superhero toys line of the era) the work that had been sitting around simply got repurposed for the He-Man line, that Mattel wanted to do, as a standalone line of toys.

They could ameliorate the “bait and switch” feel by:
- giving Teela her place on the marquee. “Teela and the Masters of the Universe” or “Masters of the Universe: Tesla’s [whatever]”
- showing Teela a bit more on the teaser trailers

Me, I don’t mind the premise, but I’ll pass judgement until I see the show. Too many great premises die in development.
My major issue is actually the stuff about aiming it at adults. He-Man should be for kids, like it always way. Adults watching it? Cool. I like a lot of fiction aimed at teenagers. But they shouldn't be the focus. And any middle aged man (including myself) who actually thinks they should dictate the direction of a kid's show should be ignored. You don't want to encourage that kind of infantislisation.

My major issue is actually the stuff about aiming it at adults. He-Man should be for kids, like it always way. Adults watching it? Cool. I like a lot of fiction aimed at teenagers. But they shouldn't be the focus. And any middle aged man (including myself) who actually thinks they should dictate the direction of a kid's show should be ignored. You don't want to encourage that kind of infantislisation.

This version is actually being marketed as a nostalgia trip for adults who grew up with the series; the kids' show comes later this year.

This version is actually being marketed as a nostalgia trip for adults who grew up with the series; the kids' show comes later this year.
Aye, that's what I'm criticising about the new remake. It's a nostalgia fest, not an attempt to do anything decent with the IP.

If you do want a show that's gritty and adult you should base it on the original artwork and minicomics. He Man is a barbarian, there is no Prince Adam, Beast Man is a Satan figure. Zodak flies around in his chair being cryptic.

The other end of the outlook is that a children's show can still be intelligently written and take the subject matter seriously. Justice League is a great example of this.

I was never a big fan of the original cartoon so if this changes that, all the better. I wanted a more serious tone.

There's room for a more serious take on He-Man, but framing it as a direct sequel to the Filmation cartoon and at the same time talking about abuse and lost innocence sounds to me like another case of the deconstruction and tarnishing that is all too common today.

Two things. First, what makes you think it's only middle aged men who used to watch He-Man? There's a reason She-Ra was spun off it (it originally was meant to be Teela's show, but Mattel wanted a whole new line of action dolls for girls, so they made Etheria.)

Second, don't you think that they have a right to dictate what they should allow their children to see? Some things are best left to when a child is mature and informed enough to make their own calls on the subject.

If you do want a show that's gritty and adult you should base it on the original artwork and minicomics. He Man is a barbarian, there is no Prince Adam, Beast Man is a Satan figure. Zodak flies around in his chair being cryptic.

The other end of the outlook is that a children's show can still be intelligently written and take the subject matter seriously. Justice League is a great example of this.
But there were serious issues in the show. Sure, it was fun and sometimes campy, but as I've posted elsewhere, they had at least two relatively mature story lines. The first, Adam's inability to please his father, because he had to keep the secret of He-Man. This caused friction and anxiety for Adam. Meanwhile King Randor felt frustrated that his son would likely be a weak king. This is something they played straight in the show.

The second that i can remember, was Orko. He was a gag character, his magic screwing up for laughs, but after a while, the show writers realized that he was a liability. And so they had Orko realize it as well. Sure, he was a great and powerful mage in his dimension, but... And so they had him exit the series, a much larger sacrifice than he wanted to admit to himself.

There are ways to show mature story lines, without the common heavy handed pandering that we're seeing nowadays. Kids are smart, they can figure things out pretty quick, but they need to be guided by their parents.

Well, I guess everyone should be glad that I'm not in charge, because if I did a He-Man reboot it would be a giant metaphor for being a closeted gay, with the Skeletor-in-the-closet as the manifestation of Adam's feelings of shame and concern about social acceptance in a hyper-masculine society.

Well, I guess everyone should be glad that I'm not in charge, because if I did a He-Man reboot it would be a giant metaphor for being a closeted gay, with the Skeletor-in-the-closet as the manifestation of Adam's feelings of shame and concern about social acceptance in a hyper-masculine society.
I await your Kickstarter campaign.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back