Masters of the Universe: Revelation (new cartoon)

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Just to echo others, Skeletor is the one thing the Masters of the Universe movie did well. I'm not sure what right wrong is when it comes to this adaptation.

One other note, Concrete Fragile Creature was a miniseries about the making of a Masters of the Universe type movie and the comic is absolutely brilliant. There's a scene where the star and the director get in a serious sword fight because the star, Wolf Hulzgren, overheard the director mocking his acting skills. It's probably hard to find these days but is well worth reading.

Just to echo others, Skeletor is the one thing the Masters of the Universe movie did well. I'm not sure what right wrong is when it comes to this adaptation.

One other note, Concrete Fragile Creature was a miniseries about the making of a Masters of the Universe type movie and the comic is absolutely brilliant. There's a scene where the star and the director get in a serious sword fight because the star, Wolf Hulzgren, overheard the director mocking his acting skills. It's probably hard to find these days but is well worth reading.

It's volume 3 in the complete Concrete collection published by Dark Horse

Welp, watched the first 5 episodes.

The music was good, at least. It was fun seeing He-Ro and Wonderbread He-Man.

That's really everything positive I have to say about it, so I'll leave it at that.

Oh, hey, did you know the actress who played the Sorceress in the live action Masters of the Universe film went on to play Monica's mother on Friends?

Welp, watched the first 5 episodes.

The music was good, at least. It was fun seeing He-Ro and Wonderbread He-Man.

That's really everything positive I have to say about it, so I'll leave it at that.

Oh, hey, did you know the actress who played the Sorceress in the live action Masters of the Universe film went on to play Monica's mother on Friends?
As bad He-Man fan fiction goes, I’ve seen worse.

Personally, watching this was the happiest I've been in quite some time. Aside from actually fridging Adam, I feel like they did his character justice and his presence was felt throughout-- he's in all five episodes-- and I really enjoyed the focus on characters who didn't get a lot of it before, like Evil-Lyn and Beast Man.

Critics loved it. It's like 97% fresh over there, versus 39% or something from fans.

I mean, I'm not a huge MotU fan, so I can't see myself watching this. NGL, tho, the nerdrage it's generating is glorious. Between this and WotC's canon announcement, enough salt is being generated to destroy every slug on earth.

Also, I'm not sure I'd trust the ratings anywhere, as there has been an obvious brigading going on. It's pretty transparent that, in reading the reviews, you can see who honestly liked and/or disliked it, versus who's just butthurt about... something.

I saw one doofus alleging that Kevin Smith was committing "career suicide". Like, OK, bro, cope harder.

Last edited:
Critics loved it. It's like 97% fresh over there, versus 39% or something from fans.

That sounds about right. I can't really claim to be part of He-Man fandom, at least not since like 1987, but I could tell watching it wasn't going to please fans.

It was honestly better than I was expecting from Netflix.

Wasn't good, but it dragged itself over that low bar.

But every He-Man comic book series I've ever read did it better than Netflix did, at least through part 1.

Did make me want to spend money on the CMON He-Man board game, though, so in keeping in the tradition of He-Man as a 30 minute toy commercial, mission accomplished.

Also, I'm not sure I'd trust the ratings anywhere, as there has been an obvious brigading going on. It's pretty transparent that, in reading the reviews, you can see who honestly liked and/or disliked it, versus who's just butthurt about... something.

I saw one doofus alleging that Kevin Smith was committing "career suicide". Like, OK, bro, cope harder.

Smith hasn't made anything good since Dogma. I was shocked that he got this job.

I haven’t seen it yet but I saw a Revelation toy display that was totally empty at Wally the other day. They must be sought after. $19.99 a figure. He-Man, Skeletor, Moss-Man (who’s that?) and Evil-Lyn are available I guess.

Kevin Smith is very hit and miss with me. Though Mallrats is a better movie than I gave it credit for back in the day. Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back was self-indulgent (and self-referential) nearly to the point of being one huge in-joke that no one save the most ardent Smithh fans would get. I did not like it. I went into Ckerks 2 with the lowest of low expectations, and was pleasantly surprised. I found it funny and charming, and thought that, unlike many sequels, it actually felt like a continuation of the first. I expect Clerks 3 to suck ass, though, because Smith is nothing of not inconsistent. But, he's rich, and, by any metric, a success in his field. I just wish he'd stop dressing like a fat guy trying to be "ironic" now that he lost all that weight. It's jarring. I saw this indie flick once, in which Parker Posey played a formerly obese stand-up comic who hadn't updated her act, which was all self-deprecating fat jokes. That's basically what Kevin Smith's wardrobe reminds me of.

I um, don't care how anyone dresses. Especially not guys.

He must shave down there.

"moss manscaping"

There's obviously a lot of brigading going on, review bombing, politically motivated trash talk by miserable dipshits who don't understand that a world without women would be a pain in the ass. But I also think there are a lot of hardcore fans of this franchise, people like me, who aren't upset the show's main characters are Teela and Evil-Lyn, but are sincerely and legitimately disppointed that it's not Adam. There's also a major shake-up in the 1982 series' status quo happening, and a lot of people speaking from a place of they changed it and now it sucks rather than objecting to the specific changes or the quality of the show itself.

There's a lot of room here for people who honestly wanted to like this show to have ended up not liking it nearly as well as I did. I've got my own fair share of bones to pick about creative decisions that were made, even if I came out strongly positive on the whole experience.

It's a conversation I wish we could have, outside the context of the conversations we are having.

edit: Also, from now on, when my Appendix N says "the entire Masters of the Universe franchise", both Netflix series are going to be included in "but especially..." along with Seeley's DC run. Leaving aside whether or not this is good MOTU canon, this is 110% the MOTU I'm talking about when I say the MOTU is what D&D should look like.

You're saying you want to see Kevin Smith in a tube top and a thong?

Wouldn't be the worst thing I intentionally sought out, trust me. Not even top ten.

"moss manscaping"

There's obviously a lot of brigading going on, review bombing, politically motivated trash talk by miserable dipshits who don't understand that a world without women would be a pain in the ass. But I also think there are a lot of hardcore fans of this franchise, people like me, who aren't upset the show's main characters are Teela and Evil-Lyn, but are sincerely and legitimately disppointed that it's not Adam. There's also a major shake-up in the 1982 series' status quo happening, and a lot of people speaking from a place of they changed it and now it sucks rather than objecting to the specific changes or the quality of the show itself.

There's a lot of room here for people who honestly wanted to like this show to have ended up not liking it nearly as well as I did. I've got my own fair share of bones to pick about creative decisions that were made, even if I came out strongly positive on the whole experience.

It's a conversation I wish we could have, outside the context of the conversations we are having.

Let's not get in the weeds here...

Seriously, though, that's why I said you could easily tell the difference between those who disliked it on its merits and those who were just dickheads. Nothing wrong with not liking something. I didn't like Mad Max: Fury Road. Not for any stupid socio-political reasons, it just didn't gel for me. And I was super pumped to see it, too. So, I get it.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back