Mazes & Muppets : A Labyrinth RPG Review

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I'm kinda hoping it's a different format than the Labyrinth adventure game. That was definitely a very unique, completely on-theme and appropriate integration of system and adventure that captured the spirit of the film, but The Dark Crystal, to me, seems more appropriate for a more traditional/expansive/open-ended approach to RPG design, especially when considering the Netflix series

I'm kinda hoping it's a different format than the Labyrinth adventure game. That was definitely a very unique, completely on-theme and appropriate integration of system and adventure that captured the spirit of the film, but The Dark Crystal, to me, seems more appropriate for a more traditional/expansive/open-ended approach to RPG design, especially when considering the Netflix series
That was my original uh... Complaint? That's the best for it, but it's not what I mean? With Labyrinth. As a setting it's pretty 'closed' It's there to focus on the character of Sarah Williams, and everything around her, from her allies to the villains, and world itself is there to facilitate her story. And once she leaves, there really isn't much to it.

Thra on the other hand, has an entire civilization around it, the original movie as a story is very weak (It falls into what I call the 'Willow Trap', it has this prophecy, but spazzes out on it.) However as a 'travelogue' it's rich and full of interesting things to explore.

*The Willow Trap: In the Willow Movie, the prophecy states that Elora Danaan would grow up and cause the downfall of evil Queen Bavmorda. Instead it's her Nelwyn protector and his human friend, and his girlfriend. In Dark Crystal, Jen gave up, despite being the one who would do it, it was the loss of Kira who gave him the drive, not out of courage but despair, so technically, Kira was the real heroine.

I mostly don't like Prophecies in general. Also turned off by "Chosen One" heroes. I prefer people who accidentally become heroes, primarily by fucking up.

Like Spider-man.

But at least in the Dark Crystal, the prophecy wasn't about Jen specifically - iirc it just said a Gelfling would heal the Crystal

Yes, I'd like to see it as more a pointcrawl, and the sample page they have shown us seems like it can be used that way.

I mostly don't like Prophecies in general. Also turned off by "Chosen One" heroes. I prefer people who accidentally become heroes, primarily by fucking up.

Like Spider-man.

I feel sorry for the Chosen Ones. They never had a choice. People like Spider-Man do. And they make it every time they go and be heroes.

But at least in the Dark Crystal, the prophecy wasn't about Jen specifically - iirc it just said a Gelfling would heal the Crystal
Except that the Mystics pretty much said Jen was the onty one who could do it. In fact they didn't seem to know about Kira.

Except that the Mystics pretty much said Jen was the onty one who could do it. In fact they didn't seem to know about Kira.

I don't recall that the Mystics mentioned the prophecy. I thought they just sent him to Aughra.

Like Spider-man.

Most of my issue is the Chosen One is usually, "What? Noooo." and so much time is spent trying to convince them to accept it. Rarely do they say, "Really? Okay, Let's do this." (something tells me a Simon Pegg Chosen One would.).

Most of my issue is the Chosen One is usually, "What? Noooo." and so much time is spent trying to convince them to accept it. Rarely do they say, "Really? Okay, Let's do this." (something tells me a Simon Pegg Chosen One would.).

I think we can blame Joseph Campbell for that

I think Joe focused more on studying heroes like Odysseus and not Achilles.
achilles-hero.jpg

I only like this reluctance when the prophecy is about them being "chosen" to die horribly, or be sacrificed for some reason. I'm sure that I wouldn't want to be "chosen" either.

I alsways liked the way Dragonslayer subverted this, by having the traditional "hero" of the fairytale being a zealot determined to fulfill her prophesied death (to the point of rigging the game in her (not) favour) and the actual protagonist trying, and failing, to save them.

Both when I saw Labyrinth in the theater as a child, and again when I saw it on DVD as an adult, I could not figure out how old Sarah is supposed to be. Jennifer Connelly's real-life age during filming was 15, so Sarah looks about 15, which to me seems a bit old to be into toys. It's entirely possible that my brain is just being too literal about a fantasy movie...

Anyway, this looks like a neat game. I'll keep my eye out for it.

That looks great, Dark Crystal is more my jam so I'll give this a good look.

River Horse have put out an interactive online map of the World of Thra for the Dark Crystal RPG:

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back