Medioevo Universale

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

dbm

AFK
Reaction score
A friend of mine has a serious board game habit and has a fairly epic collection of Kickstarter board games. Today we played Medioevo Universale: five players, 10 hours table time to play a 10 turn game. My friend won this one, but it was close and the game was settled by 1 Honour Point in the end - 43 to the winner, 42 for second place. I managed third, which I was fairly happy with under the circumstances.

It’s a truly epic game. You could easily play for a lot longer if you wanted, and the game could get a lot more bloody than this session if you wanted it to.

Some pics of the game in flow...
B6D41FE9-8947-45E0-BC4B-1C6BAFBC3F04.jpeg
D28036CC-2586-43E5-AE38-71E56078FA9C.jpeg
AA6DE325-4062-47FB-A2B9-752BFA8DBDB6.jpeg
AA3C1B20-F1D9-46EC-9A9A-8F2DD2892FD4.jpeg
63889631-D0EF-46B7-8B85-E875D04C5B8C.jpeg

It’s a fantastically intricate game. There are routes to power through trade, warfare, building and all tied together by diplomacy. A multifaceted strategy seems to be the key to success...

I'd never heard of this game before and now I want it.

You must have your friend bring it to the next RPGPubCon!

It was only backed by 800 people, so potentially less than a thousand copies exist in the world...

It was very much in the vein of playing a Civ game on the table. So many interconnecting mechanisms, so many different ways of advancing your agenda. The first couple of hours were fairly mind-bending, but then the fundamentals started to click into place and the game really began.

That’s only two thirds of the board, by the way. We had five players and the board would allow up to seven. There is a third section with medieval Britain, France and Spain on it to round out to 10...

I vaguely remember glancing at this Kickstarter when I was getting started with the whole "getting my boardgames through crowdfunding stuff online". I passed because I thought it was only in Italian. Man, I'm just kicking myself about passing at seeing the finished game board.

I’ve only played one and a half games and I wasn’t personally convinced, initially. But it is a really good game. I feel you would need to play three or four games to really get to grips with it, and they take a good 8-10 hours for a game with 5 or more players.

I want to play again soon, which is a really good sign for the long-term playability. We are probably going to get another game in around Christmas when people have some time off.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back