Men's Adventure Game

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Ronin

Gun Slinging Outlaw
Reaction score
27631.jpg
This is the sign up for the men's adventure game we have been speaking about here. You are Soldiers of Fortune, mercenaries, thrill seekers, treasure hunters, adventurers, and people that can't adjust to civilian life after the war (WWII). You find yourselves in the Philippines, after a successful job delivering guns to a communist resistance group in China. Celebrating in a bar. You all decide if you were all part of the same unit back in the war, or just a ragtag group that has come together. The rules we will be using for this are my pulp rules that have gone through many evolutions. Character creation and general rules are found here.

I’m in. Play by posts seem to do ok for me.

Karl Anderson is a norwegian by birth, but evacuated to England during the war and acted as an SOE intelligence officer on the mainland. I have a character image

1545883038333.jpeg

Well, I'll wait for instruction from Ronin Ronin to make sure I'm within bounds, but my inclination is to play Rock Hardy, retired USMC Captain, piloted a Vought F4U Corsair in the Pacific Theater, eventually got shot down and just barely survived a Japanese POW camp, never readjusted to Stateside life, made his way first to Hawaii as a civilian pilot and then to the South Seas where he takes it as it comes as a thrill-seeking, treasure-hunting mercenary adventurer. Gone Troppo.
robert-mitchum_a-G-5250869-13198926.jpg
800px-Vought_F4U-1_Corsairs_of_VF-17_in_flight,_1943.jpg
Edit: if Rock Hardy is too silly for what we're aiming at, just call him Rick Hardy instead.

Last edited:
Definitely!

Lude Gozitan a sea captain from Gozo, fought in the African theatre for the British Empire during the war. A rip off of Corto Maltese.

Zoom-Le-grand-retour-de-Corto-Maltese-02-2015.jpgCorto-Maltese-storia.jpg

I'm heavily tempted, but unsure I can commit to another game.

BTW, I presume the Pugillist and Boxer abilities are one and the same, right?

Dr. Victor von Speculum, internationally-renown gynecologist and big game hunter, seeks adventurous distraction in the company of fellow worldly men. :gunslinger:

Well, I'll wait for instruction from Ronin Ronin to make sure I'm within bounds, but my inclination is to play Rock Hardy, retired USMC Captain, piloted a Vought F4U Corsair in the Pacific Theater, eventually got shot down and just barely survived a Japanese POW camp, never readjusted to Stateside life, made his way first to Hawaii as a civilian pilot and then to the South Seas where he takes it as it comes as a thrill-seeking, treasure-hunting mercenary adventurer. Gone Troppo.
Edit: if Rock Hardy is too silly for what we're aiming at, just call him Rick Hardy instead.
No, Rock Hardy is definitely not too silly. You should totally go with that name.

Bruce 'Digger' Castlemaine

2-43rd_Battalion_soldier_at_Labuan_airstrip_on_10_June_1945.jpg

Brawn: 9 (+1)
Deftness: 6
Savvy: 9 (+1)
Grit: 11 (+2)
Charisma: 4 (-1)
Perception: 8

Languages: English, Tagalog
HP: 9
Abilities: Pugilist, High pain tolerance
Flaw: Wanted

Owns: .45 pistol, Bowie knife ('that's not a ...'), rosary, drip coffee maker.

Background

Bruce 'Digger' Castlemaine was born in 1924 to Owen and Victoria Castlemaine (nee Bitter). His father was staunchly Catholic (his mother converted from C of E) and he spent much of his childhood in The Phillipines and Malaya following his father's job as a mining consultant. At age 10, his parents divorced and his mother converted back to C of E and returned to her hometown in rural Queensland.

He got into a lot of trouble in his youth, but turned out to be a talented boxer, placing runner up in the 1940 Queensland Junior state boxing championships (middleweight division). He joined the army in 1941 at 18 and shipped out with the ANZAC forces to North Africa.

He got involved in the SOE during the war until it was discovered that he spoke resonably fluent Tagalog and some Bhasa. This got him seconded to the Pacific theatre in the middle of 1943. He fought in this theatre until the end of the war.

After demob it didn't take him long to get into trouble. He got into a brawl and seriously injured the nephew of a local politician. With a GBH charge hanging over his head he made his way to New Guinea and then on to Manilla where he got by doing odd jobs of a more or less legal nature.

During the war he learned a bit about Asian fighting styles, and since arriving in Manilla he's gotten into the local prize fighting circuit. He's taken a few bruisings but his left hook has delivered a rude shock to a fair number of local Suntukaners.

He picked up an old American .45 pistol (its previous owner no longer needed it). It's stamped 1935 and looks like it's seen better days, but it's perfectly serviceable. He's got a few spare magazines, a couple of boxes of ammo and a shoulder holster for it. However, with the way he punches he doesn't need to use it all that much.

He's a pretty direct fellow from the country so he hasn't got much truck with social niceties - and his accent is sufficiently incomprehensible that most folks have no idea what he's talking about anyway.

Bruce has a taste for Asian coffee and can make a surprisingly good cuppa with condensed milk and a funny little filter gizmo that he puts on top of the cup.

I can't see anything about starting cash but I assume the character's got enough dosh to buy an old war surplus .45.

NPC associates

Some ideas for NPCs that Bruce may have the acquaintance of.

Owen Castlemaine (father): Owen has since re-married Glory Bagwis, a filipina woman some 25 years his junior, and settled in Luzon. He is aware of Bruce's presence in the Phillipines and they correspond occasionally.

Victoria Bitter (mother): Victoria still believes her son couldn't possibly do what he was accused of and occasionally sends gifts of money and care packages c/- St. Augustine's church - including much prized jars of Vegemite.

Romel Bintang: Owns a cage fighting ring. Occasional employer as a cage fighter and source of rumours.

Danilo Huwan: Another cage fighter that Bruce has befriended. They occasionally drink together and have done some odd jobs of a quasi-legal nature together.

Shafto Homobono: Filipino fixer that Bruce has made the acquaintance of. Has given Bruce a few jobs of a slightly less-than-legal nature and can acquire materials or rumours.

Dean Toohey: American marine who fought with Bruce during the Pacific campaign. He developed a taste for opium and filipina poontang and drifted back to the region. Does odd jobs for the local underworld and is (unbeknown to Bruce) an informant for the nascent Central Intelligence Agency.

Monsignor Ferdinand Sin: Catholic priest and rector of St. Augustine's church that Bruce has made the acquaintance of during the course of his wartime intelligence activities. Active in resistance and intelligence networks during the war, he has been known to arrange discreet medical treatment, and still knows a network that can hide people, contact people with access to items of a not-so-legal nature or move people or things around the country. Now a rising star in the church, he is a little above his wartime shenanigans. He knows Bruce and is somewhat disappointed by his current line of work but will help if asked.

Maj. Kenji Asahi: Aristocratic Samurai intelligence officer and former nemesis of Bruce's during the war, he has de-mobbed but sworn vengeance against Bruce. He may get wind of Bruce's presence in the Philippines and come to exact his revenge. He may also know the location of a wartime stash of gold.

Ramil Marcos: Prideful cage fighter that Bruce has defeated. Insulted that a mere foreigner could defeat him, he has become Bruce's arch enemy.

Huwan Gatchalian: Filipino-Chinese mobster that Bruce has had run-ins with. Sent thugs in an unsuccessful attempt to rough Bruce up.

Corazon (Cory) Capilli: From an aristocratic family that fell on hard times during the war, Cory and Bruce have a sort of chemistry that may lead somewhere. However, she (and her tiger mom Dewi Capilli) don't approve of Bruce's line of work so not much progress is likely to be made unless he gets a 'real' job.

Maj. Gilbert 'Fozzie' Foster: Former SOE commanding officer fighting in the pacific. Now commanding s amall mercenary team in various parts of South East Asia, he has hinted that there might be a billet for someone who's good in a scrap. Gilbert is known for being a crack shot with a rifle and never being cracked in an ambush. Fozzie and Digger also know a few of each other's secrets. Gilbert also has some ideas about where Asahi's war gold stash might be hidden (which would, of course, be a fairly awkward location).

-------------------------
Just realised the divorce bit isn't going to work if both parents were Catholics.

Few minor edits (stats, another idea for a NPC)

Last edited:
I'm probably going to need a nickname.

Tell us something about your character and maybe someone will come up with a suggestion.

He grew up a bright lad in a small town just north of Oslo, son to a single mother who said his father was a wanderer. Karl never knew him, but he must've been something special, for his mother never remarried and always waited for him. Without a father figure in the house, he looked often to his extended family, who lived nearby, for guidance. From an early age, he showed a keen mind for languages and strategy, learning half a dozen tongues before he was 18 and beating many of the most advanced players of chess in the area before spending weekends in Oslo challenging himself against more urban folk.

He was in Norway when the Nazis came, and had been in Nybergsund when they bombed. he escaped with the royal delegation across the snowy forests of Norway and was instrumental in negotiating the arrival of the HMS Devonshire to move the government to England. Once in England, he acquired special leave to join the SOE as a liaison from the Norwegian government and became an operative, stirring up rebellion and supporting resistance efforts. He gained an almost supernatural reputation as a man of many faces, and had many daring escapes from Nazis.

He grew up a bright lad in a small town just north of Oslo, son to a single mother who said his father was a wanderer. Karl never knew him, but he must've been something special, for his mother never remarried and always waited for him. Without a father figure in the house, he looked often to his extended family, who lived nearby, for guidance. From an early age, he showed a keen mind for languages and strategy, learning half a dozen tongues before he was 18 and beating many of the most advanced players of chess in the area before spending weekends in Oslo challenging himself against more urban folk.

He was in Norway when the Nazis came, and had been in Nybergsund when they bombed. he escaped with the royal delegation across the snowy forests of Norway and was instrumental in negotiating the arrival of the HMS Devonshire to move the government to England. Once in England, he acquired special leave to join the SOE as a liaison from the Norwegian government and became an operative, stirring up rebellion and supporting resistance efforts. He gained an almost supernatural reputation as a man of many faces, and had many daring escapes from Nazis.
Being Norwegian, a couple of nicknames come to mind: 'Swede' or 'Finn'. Maybe 'Viking,' or a norse god such as Thor, Odin or (being former SOE) perhaps Loki. These might have started out life as a code name while he was doing SOE work.

Being Norwegian, a couple of nicknames come to mind: 'Swede' or 'Finn'. Maybe 'Viking,' or a norse god such as Thor, Odin or (being former SOE) perhaps Loki. These might have started out life as a code name while he was doing SOE work.

I was going to say those sound like code names.

I’m in. Play by posts seem to do ok for me.

Karl Anderson is a norwegian by birth, but evacuated to England during the war and acted as an SOE intelligence officer on the mainland. I have a character image

View attachment 6343
Post up a character, cant wait to see him.:smile:

Rock Hardy is just fine. Stat the man up!:smile:

I'm heavily tempted, but unsure I can commit to another game.

BTW, I presume the Pugillist and Boxer abilities are one and the same, right?
Yes, pugilist covers boxing and whatever martial art you may know. It's kind of a catch all. It's up to you to say i try to deliver a roundhouse punch to the head, or I deliver a flying jump kick from the lotus form.:smile:

Dr. Victor von Speculum, internationally-renown gynecologist and big game hunter, seeks adventurous distraction in the company of fellow worldly men. :gunslinger:
Perhaps a tad sillier than I'm looking for. But sell me on it. Maybe.

Bruce 'Digger' Castlemaine

2-43rd_Battalion_soldier_at_Labuan_airstrip_on_10_June_1945.jpg

Brawn 9
Deftness 6
Savvy 9
Grit 11
Charisma 4
Perception 8

Languages: English, Tagalog

Abilities: Pugilist, High pain tolerance
Flaw: Wanted

Background

Bruce 'Digger' Castlemaine was born in 1924 to Owen and Victoria Castlemaine (nee Foster). His family are staunchly Catholic and he spent much of his childhood in The Phillipines and Malaya following his father's job as a mining consultant. At age 10, his parents divorced and his mother returned to her hometown in rural Queensland.

He got into a lot of trouble in his youth, but turned out to be a talented boxer, placing runner up in the 1940 Queensland Junior state boxing championships (middleweight division). He joined the army in 1941 at 18 and shipped out with the ANZAC forces to North Africa.

He got involved in the SOE during the war until it was discovered that he spoke resonably fluent Tagalog and some Bhasa. This got him seconded to the Pacific theatre in the middle of 1943. He fought in this theatre until the end of the war.

After demob it didn't take him long to get into trouble. He got into a brawl and seriously injured the nephew of a local politician. With a GBH charge hanging over his head he made his way to New Guinea and then on to Manilla where he got by doing odd jobs of a more or less legal nature.

During the war he learned a bit about Asian fighting styles, and since arriving in Manilla he's gotten into the local prize fighting circuit. He's taken a few bruisings but his left hook has delivered a rude shock to a fair number of local Suntukaners.

He picked up an old American .45 pistol (its previous owner no longer needed it). It's stamped 1935 and looks like it's seen better days, but it's perfectly serviceable. He's got a few spare magazines, a couple of boxes of ammo and a shoulder holster for it. However, with the way he punches he doesn't need to use it all that much.

He's a pretty direct fellow from the country so he hasn't got much truck with social niceties - and his accent is sufficiently incomprehensible that most folks have no idea what he's talking about anyway.

Bruce has a taste for Asian coffee and can make a surprisingly good cuppa with condensed milk and a funny little filter gizmo that he puts on top of the cup.

I can't see anything about starting cash but I assume the character's got enough dosh to buy an old war surplus .45.

NPC associates

Some ideas for NPCs that Bruce may have the acquaintance of.

Owen Castlemaine (father): Owen has since re-married Glory Bagwis, a filipina woman some 25 years his junior, and settled in Luzon. He is aware of Bruce's presence in the Phillipines and they correspond occasionally.

Victoria Foster (mother): Victoria still believes her son couldn't possibly do what he was accused of and occasionally sends gifts of money and care packages c/- St. Augustine's church - including much prized jars of Vegemite.

Romel Bintang: Owns a cage fighting ring. Occasional employer as a cage fighter and source of rumours.

Danilo Huwan: Another cage fighter that Bruce has befriended. They occasionally drink together and have done some odd jobs of a quasi-legal nature together.

Shafto Homobono: Filipino fixer that Bruce has made the acquaintance of. Has given Bruce a few jobs of a slightly less-than-legal nature and can acquire materials or rumours.

Dean Hormel: American marine who fought with Bruce during the Pacific campaign. He developed a taste for opium and filipina poontang and drifted back to the region. Does odd jobs for the local underworld and is (unbeknown to Bruce) an informant for the nascent Central Intelligence Agency.

Monsignor Ferdinand Sin: Catholic priest and rector of St. Augustine's church that Bruce has made the acquaintance of during the course of his wartime intelligence activities. Active in resistance and intelligence networks during the war, he has been known to arrange discreet medical treatment, and still knows a network that can hide people, contact people with access to items of a not-so-legal nature or move people or things around the country. Now a rising star in the church, he is a little above his wartime shenanigans. He knows Bruce and is somewhat disappointed by his current line of work but will help if asked.

Maj. Kenji Asahi: Aristocratic Samurai intelligence officer and former nemesis of Bruce's during the war, he has de-mobbed but sworn vengeance against Bruce. He may get wind of Bruce's presence in the Philippines and come to exact his revenge. He may also know the location of a wartime stash of gold.

Ramil Marcos: Prideful cage fighter that Bruce has defeated. Insulted that a mere foreigner could defeat him, he has become Bruce's arch enemy.

Huwan Gatchalian: Filipino-Chinese mobster that Bruce has had run-ins with. Sent thugs in an unsuccessful attempt to rough Bruce up.

Corazon (Cory) Capilli: From an aristocratic family that fell on hard times during the war, Cory and Bruce have a sort of chemistry that may lead somewhere. However, she (and her tiger mom Dewi Capilli) don't approve of Bruce's line of work so not much progress is likely to be made unless he gets a 'real' job.
YES!!!! Perfect, I wish I could hit the like button more times! Welcome aboard!:grin:

I'm probably going to need a nickname.
The Nord, Rook, Chessmaster, the Swede (I know he's not but people are dumb, no seriously), Whitey, Scandi, Norseman, Sniper or bowman. (Bowman sounds strange I know but let me explain. My father knew an old timer from up north (Upper Peninsula of Michigan, he legally emigrated after the war.). He was Norwegian, but was trained in britain, and part of the SOE. He used a bow as his primary weapon as it was silent, to take out sentries and such. He was a seriously hard core, old school fella.

The Nord, Rook, Chessmaster, the Swede (I know he's not but people are dumb, no seriously), Whitey, Scandi, Norseman, Sniper or bowman. (Bowman sounds strange I know but let me explain. My father knew an old timer from up north (Upper Peninsula of Michigan, he legally emigrated after the war.). He was Norwegian, but was trained in britain, and part of the SOE. He used a bow as his primary weapon as it was silent, to take out sentries and such. He was a seriously hard core, old school fella.
Wow, that’s an awesome story. Sounds like this guy. I was considering addicted to cigarettes for an image but still thinking a bit. He might be a drunk

Just as long as it's not Quisling.

Wow, that’s an awesome story. Sounds like this guy. I was considering addicted to cigarettes for an image but still thinking a bit. He might be a drunk
Either works:smile:

Oh, and as stated by Nobby earlier. I did forget to give a money amount. Just pick a pistol of knife or what have you. Whatever. A couple extra things that would be possibly useful. Pocket knife, pen, compass, binoculars or whatever. Just don't get crazy. No Machine Guns or anything.

SAM "THE DANDY" EVANS

Brawn 7 (+0)
Deftness 4 (-1)
Savvy 5 (-1)
Grit 4 (-1)
Charisma 9 (+1)
Perception 8 (+0)

Hit Points: 7
Languages: English
Abilities: Swordsman (fencing, +2 bonus to use a sword), Silver Tongue (+2 to convince)
Flaw: Hard of Hearing (-2 Perception rolls related to hearing)

Equipment: Sword cane (fencing sword concealed in cane, 2d4 damage), cigarette case, lighter

Background: Despite a lavish upbringing, Sam desired to prove himself and enlisted in the British Army, making his way to the rank of Lieutenant. After the War, he resigned his position, having damaged his hearing and also having developed a slight case of what was politely referred to as "the Jitters" ... He then sought a way to make use of his talents in somewhat safer and more profitable environments.

Ronin Ronin how about an ability for more languages? Useful? will it come up?

Karl "One Eye" Anderson

Brawn 5 (-1)
Deftness 7 (+0)
Saavy 11 (+2)
Grit 9 (+1)
Charisma 8 (+0)
Perception 7 (+0)

Hit Points - 5
Languages - Norwegian, English, German, French, Tagalog, Chinese (Cantonese)
Abilities - High Pain Tolerance, Polyglot (3)
Flaw - Paranoia

Equipment: Welrod (stats as per Walther P38, 6 shots), box of ammo, Trench Knife, lighter, cigarettes (2 pack) and holder, flask, pocket watch (average), set of fine clothes (3), poor suit, camera (palm sized), binoculars

He was in Norway when the Nazis came, and had been in Nybergsund when they bombed. he escaped with the royal delegation across the snowy forests of Norway and was instrumental in negotiating the arrival of the HMS Devonshire to move the government to England. Once in England, he acquired special leave to join the SOE as a liaison from the Norwegian government and became an operative, stirring up rebellion and supporting resistance efforts.

During this time, he gained the nickname "one eye", because he seemed to perpetually have one eye on every situation at the time same. He earned an almost supernatural reputation as a man of many faces, and had many daring escapes from Nazis. However, these daring escapades made him somewhat paranoid that he was going to be hunted down by former members of the Third Reich he embarrassed badly.

1545971465355.png

Last edited:
Also, I'd like to add in
1545971948455.png

just because we will need to have 69 nazi butcher-girls

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back