Micro-session Adventures?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Simlasa

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
I'm going to run some games for adult friends who have never played. Their attention spans for my experiment will probably be VERY short at first... maybe an hour, probably less.
So I'm cobbling up something to stress the stengths of TTRPGs... I'm going to use Openquest (BRP), pre-gens, and time for one combat... but would like a splash of mystery/puzzle and PC/NPC interaction as well.
Regardless of system, I'm looking for suggestions on content.
They like Penny Dreadful and Sherlock a lot so that's my start as far as genre/atmosphere.
Are there any published collections of micro-adventures I could riff off of? (again, regardless of system). Most of the one-page dungeons I've looked at are still more than I think they'll sit still for.

Ok, weird idea, but hear me out on this...

Choose one of the "5 Room Dungeons" from this vast catalogue:
https://roleplayingtips.com/5-room-dungeons/

Re-skin one of the dungeons so that it makes sense as a place that could exist under the streets of London, or in the back rooms of the British Museum, or in the mansion of an eccentric lord, whatever.

Then create a very simple mystery that leads the players into the 5 room dungeon, Young Sherlock Holmes style.

Waddaya think?

E9DlnNG.gif

I wasn't aware of those, thanks!
That's the sort of thing I was thinking.
Now I need to plow through those and sift them for sparks... maybe pick a few that can be interconnected... like an old movie serial of short episodes with an overarching villain, stopping at cliffhanger moments to keep them coming back.

I'm going to run some games for adult friends who have never played. Their attention spans for my experiment will probably be VERY short at first... maybe an hour, probably less.
So I'm cobbling up something to stress the stengths of TTRPGs... I'm going to use Openquest (BRP), pre-gens, and time for one combat... but would like a splash of mystery/puzzle and PC/NPC interaction as well.
Regardless of system, I'm looking for suggestions on content.
They like Penny Dreadful and Sherlock a lot so that's my start as far as genre/atmosphere.
Are there any published collections of micro-adventures I could riff off of? (again, regardless of system). Most of the one-page dungeons I've looked at are still more than I think they'll sit still for.

I'm really interested to see what you come up with, and how it works out. But, I got no advice for you.

Fortune favors the bold, so you're golden!

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back