Mini Six Question: Why are Perdition's Pilot and Mechanic Identical?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

T. Kurt Bond

Pubber
Reaction score
As part of my work making an SRD for Mini Six I was reminded that in the Perdition sample setting the character templates for the Pilot and the Mechanic are identical, which seems odd. Here, take a look:
pilot-and-mechanic.png

Anyway, I thought something like this might be better for the Mechanic:

Mechanic
Might 2D+1
Agility 3D+1
— Dodge 5D, Pilot 4D
Wit 3D+2 — Computer 6D, Navigation 4D+1, Repair 6D+1
Charm 2D+2 — Diplomacy 3D
Perks & Comps: None
Gear: Light Pistol
Static: Dodge 15; Block 7; Parry 7; Soak 7

Still has some skill at Pilot and Navigation, but not as good at those as the Pilot. Better Computer and Repair skills. Probably willing to pick up a pistol and shoot it if really necessary, but also probably no better at it that default, so Pistol isn't listed.

What do you think?

Interestingly, the Pilot and the Mechanic templates are built on 12D in attributes and 8D+2 in skills, instead of the standard 7D in skills, so I made this alternate version with the same amount. I haven't checked the other templates. (I'll probably do that at some point. Rather than do the counting manually, I'll probably type them up as YAML and feed them through a program I wrote that counts the costs of all the dice and prints out a summary. I've got a couple other programs that can read that same YAML and produce output in reStructuredText or troff formats, for including in my documents.)

I can see a lot of overlap, especially with older technology, like a WWII era pilot working on his fighter plane. The mechanic knows the basics of flying, but won't be able to pull off the cool moves in flight. That said, they should not be identical in stat blocks, IMHO.

It might just be a Ctrl-C Ctrl-V fail where they were going to tweak the copy a little but forgot.
Sounds likely. Or just failed to copy the stat block and pasted the same stats twice.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back