Moderation Criticisms

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Status
Not open for further replies.

Baulderstone

Reaction score
It is an odd combo of a director, Altman, known for his rambling, hazy atmospheric style and a cartoon nearly unmatched for frenetic chaos.

It's like getting Tarkovsky to adapt Betty Boop or something.
I just watched this movie about a month ago and it still held up.

I had a roommate at one point who was a scholar of comics history, and he had all the old Thimble Theater comics. That's where Popeye first appeared before spinning off on his. After reading those, the movie made so much more sense. It's more based on those comics than any of the cartoon versions.

Loved that game, played the Amiga version. :smile:
Fancy. I had it on C64.

Voros

Doomed Investigator
Reaction score
I just watched this movie about a month ago and it still held up.

I had a roommate at one point who was a scholar of comics history, and he had all the old Thimble Theater comics. That's where Popeye first appeared before spinning off on his. After reading those, the movie made so much more sense. It's more based on those comics than any of the cartoon versions.

Fancy. I had it on C64.

I just picked up a Fantagraphics collection of the Popeye strips.

Brock Savage

Cosmic Barbarian
Reaction score
It stars Robin Williams as Popeye, what more could you want?

Such a strange movie
I was 6 when that movie came out and I saw it as a double feature with Airplane. I don't remember anything about Popeye but Airplane had tons of great skits and a scene with bouncing tits that were forever seared into my young brain.

BedrockBrendan

Legendary Member
Reaction score
It is an odd combo of a director, Altman, known for his rambling, hazy atmospheric style and a cartoon nearly unmatched for frenetic chaos.

It's like getting Tarkovsky to adapt Betty Boop or something.
I saw it again about ten years ago and it is definitely an unusual movie. I did have a high fever at the time, so that might have influenced my impression

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cthulhu Mythos - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com