Moderation Criticisms

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just repeat my comment about "scar tissue". Its notable but in no fashion amazing how often an argument really isn't with the people at hand on a subject in a lot of threads on, well, any forum I've been on. That in combination with the tendency for people to conflate multiple posters' positions is one of the things that can make some argument cook-ups so frustrating.
To be fair, it happens wider than just this issue as well. You get quite a lot of pro storygame arguments that seem to be primarily arguing with Pundit rather than anything anyone's saying.

To be fair, it happens wider than just this issue as well. You get quite a lot of pro storygame arguments that seem to be primarily arguing with Pundit rather than anything anyone's saying.

Oh, absolutely. Its a general principal. I've watched arguments against, say, oWOD where people are clearly projecting opinions they had shoved at them by people in in the 90's on posters 20 years later, and I've seen anti-Dramatist/Narrativist fights that seemed aimed at points I doubt anyone has made since David Berkman. Or watch someone who is defending the Hero System and you can see the echoes of the ridiculous hyperbole they've heard before about the system rise up in their head against any criticism, whether its doing that or not, just because they've heard it so many times.

Wait, Liet Keynes has been gender flipped? And people are up in arms? Couloir me surprised!
The accusation of misogyny from Justin was uncalled for and frankly very disappointing. I think gender-swapped reboots of beloved franchises could be pretty sweet (Indiana Jones is top on my list). On the other hand I rolled my eyes and groaned at the gender swap of Liet Kynes because it feels like a cynical studio exec move and not a legit artistic decision (hope I am proven wrong).

991f8a44-d51d-11e3-9776-aa1c754b99b7.jpg

9,000 polygons and she doesn't jiggle?

I just repeat my comment about "scar tissue". Its notable but in no fashion amazing how often an argument really isn't with the people at hand on a subject in a lot of threads on, well, any forum I've been on. That in combination with the tendency for people to conflate multiple posters' positions is one of the things that can make some argument cook-ups so frustrating.

Oh yeah, it's definitely pervasive and annoying, if totally predictibe human behaviour. It's the reason in Mod+ threads thus far there's been a specific rule against that

Oh yeah, it's definitely pervasive and annoying, if totally predictibe human behaviour. It's the reason in Mod+ threads thus far there's been a specific rule against that

Well, I suspect it would helpful if people were often even aware that was what they were doing...

Well, I suspect it would helpful if people were often even aware that was what they were doing...

lol, if I had the ability to impart self awareness on others, I could change the world with that superpower

I think to actually have an argument Jennifer Aniston would have had to present an actual coherent stance one could debate. I don't think Jen has ever done that.

127590.jpg

I tell ya, reading Justin's responses to that old thread and his current activity here has been a real eye opener and not in a good way. :/ I've been a fan of his blog for some years, I've actually set aside a folder of bookmarks of some of my favorite blog entries of his. I thought that reading his interactions with other posters including myself would be pretty awesome.

I now feel differently, his blog entries are still quite useful and worthy but I think he is one of those who just doesn't play well with others in this type of setting. Which is a real bummer, but oh well that's just how goes. I've lived a long time and been a gamer since the late 1970's. He's not the first person that I held in high regard that later proved in interactions to be less and I'm sure he won't be the last. :sad:

I tell ya, reading Justin's responses to that old thread and his current activity here has been a real eye opener and not in a good way. :/ I've been a fan of his blog for some years, I've actually set aside a folder of bookmarks of some of my favorite blog entries of his. I thought that reading his interactions with other posters including myself would be pretty awesome.

I now feel differently, his blog entries are still quite useful and worthy but I think he is one of those who just doesn't play well with others in this type of setting. Which is a real bummer, but oh well that's just how goes. I've lived a long time and been a gamer since the late 1970's. He's not the first person that I held in high regard that later proved in interactions to be less and I'm sure he won't be the last. :sad:

You know I should be the last one defending Justin, but in fairness he had plenty of interactions on this forum that were just fine, informative, interesting contributions to conversations, and worthwhile insights. That's mainly why I've no interest in him being banned. He was like 75% fine. Just has his quirks, like all people I guess. It's a shame something as simple as a threadban is something he apparently just can't abide or react to with some self-awareness.

I think the hardest moment of internet life is the day when you discover that nobody knows who you are even when you've been posting on a site for years. That moment when you realize that to most people, only your current comment matters and there's no history, no friendship, no shared community, just people shouting and throwing feces in their own little bubbles. This forum is small and most of us have decades of prior history on other forums but on a large, busy forum it can be amazing just how anonymous you really are.
Oh yeah. I mean, I know who you are to some extent, we've run into each other over numerous forums over the years. But there are actual segments of some web (rpg) forums, that I was active on, who couldn't tell you who I was because you know, they weren't into RPGs at all. There are worse things than not being noticed though. Much worse.

No kidding, sometimes people remember things I said from a long, long time ago...:grin:

No kidding, sometimes people remember things I said from a long, long time ago...:grin:

One time, someone on a political forum I followed regularly Googled my name, read up on a few things that I'd signed up for under my own name, and then-- and this is the best part-- accused me of trying to intimidate him on the basis of this information that he went searching for and then tried to publicly reveal about me.

In case you ever wondered why I still voluntarily hang out in places (mostly not here) that I complain so vociferously about.

One time, someone on a political forum I followed regularly Googled my name, read up on a few things that I'd signed up for under my own name, and then-- and this is the best part-- accused me of trying to intimidate him on the basis of this information that he went searching for and then tried to publicly reveal about me.

giphy.gif

I feel like I need to hear more of this story

giphy.gif

I feel like I need to hear more of this story

There isn't much more to it than that. I don't remember what the actual argument was about, but I'd signed up for one of the local "all talk" cosplaytriot groups-- they had a website, for Christ's sake-- in order to be able to use their facilities, and had mostly forgotten about it. Couple months later, this guy posts a bunch of links to every part of my web presence he could dig up and accuses me of trying to intimidate him, and he catches a perm for doxxing.

Actually even dumber than every single slack-jawed manchild that's accused me of "mansplaining" something to them.

If you managed to accumulate every spare atom of human intelligence into one place, you could fit it into my toilet bowl before I got back from Taco Bell.

It's not the first time that's happened, just the dumbest. If you knew how many people genuinely believed that they could shame someone online by reposting something that person posted themselves, deliberately and under their own real name, you'd want to drown this planet in your own boiling sulfurous feces too.

It's not the first time that's happened, just the dumbest. If you knew how many people genuinely believed that they could shame someone online by reposting something that person posted themselves, deliberately and under their own real name, you'd want to drown this planet in your own boiling sulfurous feces too.

I've experienced it to an extent, usually in facebook groups, but yeah, as you say, they seem to have this bizarre idea that stuff I post online publically Im going to be ashamed of or not stand behind.

I mean, I guess I'm lucky to be part of a generation whose most ackward social development years didn't leave behind a trace history on the internet, but even the minority of stuff I'm not exactly proud of (which no one has managed to dig up yet), I at the very least have no problem owning up to.

I mean, I guess I'm lucky to be part of a generation whose most ackward social development years didn't leave behind a trace history on the internet, but even the minority of stuff I'm not exactly proud of (which no one has managed to dig up yet), I at the very least have no problem owning up to.

Same. I can be embarrassed by some of the things I espoused at twenty-five, but I thank the gods I'll never be embarrassed by the things I posted online at fifteen-- with some deliberate effort, I one found some microfiction of mine that a pre-internet textfile distribution collective published when I was fourteen or fifteen, and it was pretty cringey but noone would ever be able to connect it to me.

I could never be ashamed of anything I've ever posted online, because practically by definition I've either outgrown what I said or I still believe in it.

Just has his quirks, like all people I guess.

I think this is the most important thing to take away from this- and the most important consideration when throwing stones. That doesn't mean take shit, that just means have a bit of empathy before going aggro.

Same. I can be embarrassed by some of the things I espoused at twenty-five, but I thank the gods I'll never be embarrassed by the things I posted online at fifteen-- with some deliberate effort, I one found some microfiction of mine that a pre-internet textfile distribution collective published when I was fourteen or fifteen, and it was pretty cringey but noone would ever be able to connect it to me.

I could never be ashamed of anything I've ever posted online, because practically by definition I've either outgrown what I said or I still believe in it.
Fuck, if anyone dug up the stuff I wrote when I was 15, I'd want to go back in time and punch the author too.

People develop and change over time.

My autobiography would probably be the least honest thing I'd ever written in my life. The laziest, sleaziest, least culturally worthwhile I'd ever set to paper.

I would win so many awards.

One thing I do appreciate about the moderation here, as opposed to the moderation in other places, is that it is openly discussed. I may think that a lot of people are sensitive snowflakes or whining about tiny things, but they can and it’s not hidden. And generally the moderation is a light touch. I saw one yesterday on another forum that was “you come into threads and are preachy, take a day off and don’t come back to the thread” and another last week or so that was “you don’t come out and say this offensive thing, but you sort of imply it, take a week off”. Just poof. I scroll through a thread that I might be interested, or find one via google search and see people banned that I know and I am like wtf did they do that was so damned horrible.

short of it, while I may think that a lot of the moderation talk on here is *eyeroll* im glad it’s that and not whiskey tango foxtrot.

Well, like I said earlier: I don't rail against the moderation here because it's bad. I rail against it because it's good.

One thing I do appreciate about the moderation here, as opposed to the moderation in other places, is that it is openly discussed. I may think that a lot of people are sensitive snowflakes or whining about tiny things, but they can and it’s not hidden. And generally the moderation is a light touch. I saw one yesterday on another forum that was “you come into threads and are preachy, take a day off and don’t come back to the thread” and another last week or so that was “you don’t come out and say this offensive thing, but you sort of imply it, take a week off”. Just poof. I scroll through a thread that I might be interested, or find one via google search and see people banned that I know and I am like wtf did they do that was so damned horrible.

short of it, while I may think that a lot of the moderation talk on here is *eyeroll* im glad it’s that and not whiskey tango foxtrot.
Raleel has been banned for using an eyeroll reserved for the moderators.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back