Moderation Criticisms

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not necessarily. At the very least I've changed my opinion over time on similar games, and discussion has been a factor in that.
I've changed my opinion on dissimilar games as well. And I don't think this depends on whether the discussion was over similar games or not.

To be fair, you can calculate both when a woman’s anus rips into her vagina, and when a man’s anus rips into his scrotum. Males in the game generally don’t have hymen resistance though or menstruation and pregnancy, so women get stuck with those.
I've been wondering whether the +5 modifier to a male's anal circumference roll is a balancing method, as they don't get to roll on the vaginal circumference table at all.
For a game that goes into incredible detail on real world diseases, and measures every possible sexual characteristic (although I guess testicle size/volume and semen volume are missing) venereal diseases seem to be overlooked. That’s probably a good thing.
You could probably house-rule something; taking 3.7ml as the base for an average-height human male, modify that by how far the ejaculator's race / gender average height is away from average human male height. Take that as the character's Base Ejaculate Quantity (BEQ) at puberty; this decreases by 25% for each age category above that. Then finally modify by the character's manhood modifier to get their Adjusted Average Load (AAL).

For every 10% difference between their AAL and the standard BEQ for an average member of their race, they get a +/-1 modifier to their Sperm Count check when trying to impregnate a fertile woman.

i need a real hobby.

I've changed my opinion on dissimilar games as well. And I don't think this depends on whether the discussion was over similar games or not.

Everybody's different, but if you've been usefully informed by contrasting games with very different basic premises (rather than just hearing about them in general from the inside) I've got to say I don't think that's typical.

I've been wondering whether the +5 modifier to a male's anal circumference roll is a balancing method, as they don't get to roll on the vaginal circumference table at all.

You could probably house-rule something; taking 3.7ml as the base for an average-height human male, modify that by how far the ejaculator's race / gender average height is away from average human male height. Take that as the character's Base Ejaculate Quantity (BEQ) at puberty; this decreases by 25% for each age category above that. Then finally modify by the character's manhood modifier to get their Adjusted Average Load (AAL).

For every 10% difference between their AAL and the standard BEQ for an average member of their race, they get a +/-1 modifier to their Sperm Count check when trying to impregnate a fertile woman.

i need a real hobby.
I feel this also needs an anime supplement with rules for bukkake.

I take it back. FATAL is not the ultimate bestest RPG. It doesn't have rules for dating.

(old RPGnet exchange)
(old poster): "You've made the DATE RAPE RPG??!!!!"
(creator of FATAL): "That's not true. FATAL has no rules for dating."

HYBRID fails at the ultimate RPG as well. Basing your rules on the Anna Nicole Smith Show is stupid, especially when everyone knows the true source of all verifiable scientific knowledge is:

airwolf.jpg

Everybody's different, but if you've been usefully informed by contrasting games with very different basic premises (rather than just hearing about them in general from the inside) I've got to say I don't think that's typical.
I sincerely hope you're wrong:thumbsup:.

I sincerely hope you're wrong:thumbsup:.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but--why? Why is that not being useful to most people a problem? I'm not saying people can't change their mind about games from hearing about them, just that "We're now going to compare GURPS to Cortex Prime" isn't usually a useful way for them to do that, in contrast to hearing discussion of them in general or in contrast to other more closely related games.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but--why? Why is that not being useful to most people a problem? I'm not saying people can't change their mind about games from hearing about them, just that "We're now going to compare GURPS to Cortex Prime" isn't usually a useful way for them to do that, in contrast to hearing discussion of them in general or in contrast to other more closely related games.
Because that presumes that people are so set in their ways that anything that's more than a marginal deviation provokes an immediate rejection? And frankly, I'd like to believe better things about the humans.

Because that presumes that people are so set in their ways that anything that's more than a marginal deviation provokes an immediate rejection? And frankly, I'd like to believe better things about the humans.

I don't see how that follows. It doesn't require a comparison of any sort for people to change their minds, so how is "Comparing GURPS to Cortex Prime" any more useful than "Talking about Cortex Prime" in that regard? Its the comparison I'm not seeing the benefit of, because its like comparing french toast to prime rib; they're both foods, but otherwise they're so dissimilar you might as well just talk about their virtues separately.

If I were to troll the whole online RPG community, I would put “old school storytelling game” somewhere on the cover and then inside fill it with Frank Frazetta and Boris Vallejo pin-up art and mention “the fiction” a bunch of times. I would use D&D 3.5 too. Cover all my bases.

If I were to troll the whole online RPG community, I would put “old school storytelling game” somewhere on the cover and then inside fill it with Frank Frazetta and Boris Vallejo pin-up art and mention “the fiction” a bunch of times. I would use D&D 3.5 too. Cover all my bases.

And somehow I bet it would still turn out better than Champions Now...

I don't see how that follows. It doesn't require a comparison of any sort for people to change their minds, so how is "Comparing GURPS to Cortex Prime" any more useful than "Talking about Cortex Prime" in that regard? Its the comparison I'm not seeing the benefit of, because its like comparing french toast to prime rib; they're both foods, but otherwise they're so dissimilar you might as well just talk about their virtues separately.
Well, obviously I don't manage to explain it...and in the end, is it worth the effort? I think not.
Don’t do it, you will be disappointed! :-)
You're quite right:thumbsup:!

That's totally it. It's not interesting enough to be controversial; it doesn't go anywhere near far enough to be offensive. All the iffy stuff is just... there.
First time I hear that FATAL doesn't go far enough...:grin:

Well, obviously I don't manage to explain it...and in the end, is it worth the effort? I think not.

Fair enough. I wasn't trying to challenge you, for what its worth, so much as understand you.

Or the part that uses his mod privileges to repeatedly troll threads to shit post

Moderation criticisms go in the Site & Discussion forum.

That said, I'm not sure what part of my posts talking about system design elements required me to use any of my "Mod Priviledges"...

Moderation criticisms go in the Site & Discussion forum.

That said, I'm not sure what part of my posts talking about system design elements required me to use any of my "Mod Priviledges"...
mods cannot be put on ignore making it impossible to ignore problematic behaviour

This isn’t even moderation criticism. He just doesn’t like Tristram.

This isn’t even moderation criticism. He just doesn’t like Tristram.

That may well be, but its not irrelevant that if you have a problem with moderator, one of the usual remedies for having a problem with another poster is not available.

That may well be, but its not irrelevant that if you have a problem with moderator, one of the usual remedies for having a problem with another poster is not available.

Sure, moderation is a necessary evil of forums with large populations. We try to accomodate that by providing a venue for moderation feedback and open communication, but if someone has a personal issue with a moderator that has nothing to do with moderation, well, ultimately it's not their party, so they have to either come to terms with that or move on. In the same way, I can't simply erase the posts or ban posters simply because I dont like them or disagree with what they say. When I act as a moderator, I'm limited to doing so to enforce the rules of the Pub and keep the peace.

So when GW complains I'm "abusing my Mod priviledges" because I made a post he doesn't like, or stated an opinion he disagrees with, that's pretty much a dishonest and disengenuous complaint.

Ghostwhistler has a longstanding problem of trying to exert control over discussions and dictate what other posters are allowed to talk about. In the past this has usually been threads that he's started where he throws tantrums when any tangents come up or posters say things he doesn't want them to talk about. He especially has an issue with humour and memes. In the past we've tried both accomodating and admonishing him for this, but now he's pusing things trying to assert that right over threads he didn't even start. At this point I don't really see a need to pretend to legitimize his complaint about me as a mod as anything besides a lowbrow distraction technique from this repeated behaviour. As it is, it was probably overly magnanimous to simply move his post here, instead of simply erasing it and threadbanning him.

Soooo... is that the final design for the Airwolf smiley? :quiet: A bit large, possibly disruptive, but I accept! :thumbsup:

I'd agree, but equally it's not non trivial that I can't ignore posters either.

I generally deal with it through an "effective" ignore, where I just don't interact with their posts. And from experience, that means they don't really interact with me much either.

And that is obviously a solution available to posters. Even with mods; you can't ignore a mod wearing their official hat, but if you find my posts tiresome you absolutely can just pretend I don't exist.

Sure, moderation is a necessary evil of forums with large populations. We try to accomodate that by providing a venue for moderation feedback and open communication, but if someone has a personal issue with a moderator that has nothing to do with moderation, well, ultimately it's not their party, so they have to either come to terms with that or move on. In the same way, I can't simply erase the posts or ban posters simply because I dont like them or disagree with what they say. When I act as a moderator, I'm limited to doing so to enforce the rules of the Pub and keep the peace.

So when GW complains I'm "abusing my Mod priviledges" because I made a post he doesn't like, or stated an opinion he disagrees with, that's pretty much a dishonest and disengenuous complaint.

Ghostwhistler has a longstanding problem of trying to exert control over discussions and dictate what other posters are allowed to talk about. In the past this has usually been threads that he's started where he throws tantrums when any tangents come up or posters say things he doesn't want them to talk about. He especially has an issue with humour and memes. In the past we've tried both accomodating and admonishing him for this, but now he's pusing things trying to assert that right over threads he didn't even start. At this point I don't really see a need to pretend to legitimize his complaint about me as a mod as anything besides a lowbrow distraction technique from this repeated behaviour. As it is, it was probably overly magnanimous to simply move his post here, instead of simply erasing it and threadbanning him.
I agree with his point, actually. In what had been a fairly calm thread where we were discussing the new Dune game (Even if one that was unlikely to result in an outpouring of new 2d20 fans), this post (#191)...
There's nothing like several metacurrencies to make an RPG experience great...

...or is that grating?
...does look kinda like a threadcrap, and an invitation to return to the regular "metacurrencies are good / metacurrencies are bad / metacurrencies are meta currencies" arguments that have ruined so many other threads. So that was why I replied with an attempt to set things back on track.

There's a time for humour, there's a time when a grim mood needs to be broken or seriousness needs to be popped, but the middle of a quiet and calm chat isn't it. I'm not having a pop at you (You misjudged when to make a joke, big deal), but I think GW has a point here; he didn't want to control or dictate the topic, just keep it somewhat on track.

I agree with his point, actually. In what had been a fairly calm thread where we were discussing the new Dune game (Even if one that was unlikely to result in an outpouring of new 2d20 fans), this post (#191)...

...does look kinda like a threadcrap, and an invitation to return to the regular "metacurrencies are good / metacurrencies are bad / metacurrencies are meta currencies" arguments that have ruined so many other threads. So that was why I replied with an attempt to set things back on track.

There's a time for humour, there's a time when a grim mood needs to be broken or seriousness needs to be popped, but the middle of a quiet and calm chat isn't it. I'm not having a pop at you (You misjudged when to make a joke, big deal), but I think GW has a point here; he didn't want to control or dictate the topic, just keep it somewhat on track.

Here is a series of posts from earlier in that same thread:

Seeing as Modiphius has squeezed every other IP they've snagged into it, probably. Which would be a shame.

Force.
If it's not working you're not using enough.

It’s easy to resist after buying Conan and having no urge to run it. Even the bloated d20 version of Conan got me more excited.

I think the best 2d20 game is Coriolis.

The 2d20 system seems fine to me but they use it for everything which it really doesn't fit. This may be of interest anyway for the setting material though.

I suppose the question for me is why would 2d20 be a poor fit? I'm assuming you all have opinions as to what would be better/more appropriate.

I know for me anything class/level is right out. But at the same time, at least for me, the interesting parts of Dune were all at the higher levels of society/intrigue, so a character's abilities as an individual weren't necessarily as impressive/important as their position within their organization. So, a Life Path that was more your "career path" (or something) seems like it'd be good.

No idea how to deal with all the Machiavellian bits, particularly if you're Bene...

Mongoose jumped to mind for me as well, what with them being the previous champions at grabbing up lots of highly visible IP and choking some cash out of it.

If I wanted a Dune game I'd probably just use Fading Suns.

I'd never play it but I might consider buying it if it would make a good sourcebook for a ruleset I like better. I'd have to see what was in it and how good/bad the writing and art is.
(In my mind I always see the David Lynch movie when I think of Dune).

The Lynch Dune is a glorious disaster. But, despite having seen it first, and thinking it's full of some iconic brutalism designs, when I read the books, it's not what I picture. I actually think Mad Max Fury Road came closer in visuals to what Herbert's writing evokes for me.

...and so on. This was not me dropping into a thread started by and revolving around fans of the system and randomly being a stick in the mud, or threadcrapping. If anything, the opposite of that.

I'd agree, but equally it's not non trivial that I can't ignore posters either.

I generally deal with it through an "effective" ignore, where I just don't interact with their posts. And from experience, that means they don't really interact with me much either.

And that is obviously a solution available to posters. Even with mods; you can't ignore a mod wearing their official hat, but if you find my posts tiresome you absolutely can just pretend I don't exist.

While I acknowledge I don't know the specifics of that poster's interaction with Tristam, I just wanted to return to this to note that if it was that easy for everyone, ignore listing wouldn't exist in the first place.

That's a separate complaint.

Tristram was shitposting or misjudging when to crack a joke is one complaint.

Tristram abuses his mod privileges to shitpost is a different complaint.

And I'm much less inclined to take the second at all seriously unless there are actual concrete examples of other posters being modded for the same kind of shitpost we're talking about here.

(And I don't have it in me to even pretend that I think that "but if I don't like a post from Tristram it's an automatic abuse of moderator powers because I can't ignore him" is a serious argument).

Personally I'd rather both GW and Tristram managed to muster up the minimal level of self control to stop interacting with each other as I find it all incredibly dull.

Are mods not allowed to post in threads as themselves or must they always be "on duty"? You know its only a short step from here to 'red text' and 'mod voices'.

Are mods not allowed to post in threads as themselves or must they always be "on duty"? You know its only a short step from here to 'red text' and 'mod voices'.

Yeah, no, I tried the "I'm only going to post as a mod",it solved nothing, gave it up as it certainly wasn't fair to me. I'm a poster here first, and I'm a mod because it's a responsibility I accepted because I care about the place, but the two activities don't really overlap.There's always going to be posters who read my posts differently because I have that little "Moderator" tag under my name, and I have amended my tendency to argue aggressively quite a bit in response to that, but I think most of the forum have gotten to know me pretty well, and I'm very clear when I'm acting as a mod vs just responding as part of a conversation.

As for GW, I mostly already effectively ignore him. This current spat certainly wasn't initiated by me, regardless of whether he perceived me as "threadcrapping" or not. The entirety of our interactions in that thread were this:

what part of you thought posting this was a good idea?

The part that has a sense of humour.

Outside of him directly addressing me, I can't recall the last time I directly replied to one of his posts. Maybe over a year or more.

I think I indirectly answered a question of his in the WoD thread about Changeling, but never addressed him specifically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back