Moderation Thread

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
But there have got to be some steps between saying "please play nice, guys" ad nauseum and "you're kicked out of this bar, never to return". Some kind of escalation or plan to deal with this.

Why can't everyone just be adults? Why do we need mods to act like parents adjudicating a spat. Just a strange idea to expect mods that provide a free service to do more work than the minimum necessary.

Is it a sign of a weak mind to reply to yourself? In any case I thought about the Thunder dome idea and I’m concerned it would change the tone and tenor of the site as I doubt people could confine their emotions to the thread. Right now, at least, those emotions are suppressed.

Well like I said there would still have to be rules. I mean really all of the standards of the forum would still apply, the only real difference being no reporting the arguments. Ultimately that seems to be the main issue is some forum members like a hearty debate but those tend to go further afield than our usual thread drift and that irritates other members who don't want a side argument derailing the original tangents. These people then report to the mods who have to put down their umbrella drinks and put on their pants which then puts them in a crotchety mood. Thunderdome would help reduce that issue.

There would still be no politics, no gross personal attacks, it would simply be a place where they could have it out without distracting everybody else. As the debate would have to remain in the Thunderdome. If one of the participants wants out, the debate has to stay in that thread so all they have to do is stop posting. Bringing up a topic that had gone Thunderdome outside of Thunderdome would have to be approached carefully. Certainly there could be a good point raised worthy of broader discussion, but no bringing it out into the main threads to simply continue the discussion because a target of the debate quit responding.

It might annoy some, but it would also have to be made clear that a poster quitting from the thread is just that they no longer want to discuss it. No claims of victory, no admission of defeat and absolutely no badgering to continue just have to accept the other party has decided not to participate any further. Of course a personal feeling of victory is acceptable, just can't share it on the forum.

Sure there are risks, but we are all being effected to some extent under the current situation. Maybe there are some who want to see some of the bigger offenders given the boot, but I think most affected simply don't want to see the endless debates interrupting other threads. Clearly the mods are having issue with the status quo as they are running out of options. Besides big purple would never approve of Thunderdome and that alone is a good enough reason for me. :hehe:

I'm mean the grow up thing is a thing, but this is the real world where world leaders name call with their thumbs, it isn't Disneyland. :cry:

My crazy idea...and hear me out on this...is that people just grow the fuck up and act somewhat like adults. I know, it seems like a stretch and I'm not sure just anyone is capable of it, but that's my on the record recommendation.

I like your idea, but I'm not holding out hope.

[ . . . ]
Sure there are risks, but we are all being effected to some extent under the current situation. Maybe there are some who want to see some of the bigger offenders given the boot, but I think most affected simply don't want to see the endless debates interrupting other threads. Clearly the mods are having issue with the status quo as they are running out of options. Besides big purple would never approve of Thunderdome and that alone is a good enough reason for me.
That has been attempted in all but name - the storygame thread was spun off to keep the arguments there. Then it spilled over into the moderation thread. Then the objective soapbox thread was set up and now it's spilling back into the moderation thread again. It's not just the participants having a go at each other; they (some parties at least) also randomly attack other people, play the victim and push quack theories as if they were some sort of objective truth. There's more to it than just people fighting each other - It's pretty anti-social and the most toxic element on The Pub by a big margin.

Last edited:
I think the Storygame thread worked well, while it lasted. But short of banning all discussions on those topics outside of the Mod+ thread, there was no way to sustain it, especially once it got to the point people had to be banned from the thread.

I thinka Thunderdome thread would have the opposite of the intended effect - tempers and hostilities would rise and then spill out into the rest of the forum in constant passive aggressive snipes and underhanded snark, as folks split into tribes.

How can discussions about rpgs ever get so intense? Boggles my mind. Put down the mouse, step away from the keyboard.

Who gives a fuck what some random person on the intrwebs says about your game? Hell, there are too many shitty corners of the internet already.

Every thread that someone espouses a “truth” as objective becomes an opportunity to bitch like squabbling geese. General members and certain mods alike. If someone says Mythras is the greatest, who gives a shit? If I want to ram a railroad up my players ass and they have fun, who gives a shit?

It does have the benefit of getting me away from my computer though. Silver lining! Putting away my soap box. Final note: The bickering is pathetic. Whether done by mods or done by us scrubs.

I’ll show my idealist ass to the door.

How can discussions about rpgs ever get so intense? Boggles my mind. Put down the mouse, step away from the keyboard.

Who gives a fuck what some random person on the intrwebs says about your game? Hell, there are too many shitty corners of the internet already.

Every thread that someone espouses a “truth” as objective becomes an opportunity to bitch like squabbling geese. General members and certain mods alike. If someone says Mythras is the greatest, who gives a shit? If I want to ram a railroad up my players ass and they have fun, who gives a shit?

It does have the benefit of getting me away from my computer though. Silver lining! Putting away my soap box. Final note: The bickering is pathetic. Whether done by mods or done by us scrubs.

I’ll show my idealist ass to the door.

Nailed it.

I was going to add more, but it was going to get inflammatory, and that defeats the point. But if you're losing your shit about RPGs either a) you're lucky enough that you don't have any real problems in life, or b) you have serious issues somewhere that really need to be addressed.

Been here since it was created by Al Gore actually. Before anyone triggers: I kid, I kid.

1983 sometimes seems like yesterday. Certainly the ‘90’s seem like yesterday.

Time gets weirder the older I get. Possibly a memory thing?

I’ve already spent too much time on this.

Stop the drama.

Last edited:
Well like I said there would still have to be rules. I mean really all of the standards of the forum would still apply, the only real difference being no reporting the arguments. Ultimately that seems to be the main issue is some forum members like a hearty debate but those tend to go further afield than our usual thread drift and that irritates other members who don't want a side argument derailing the original tangents. These people then report to the mods who have to put down their umbrella drinks and put on their pants which then puts them in a crotchety mood. Thunderdome would help reduce that issue.

There would still be no politics, no gross personal attacks, it would simply be a place where they could have it out without distracting everybody else. As the debate would have to remain in the Thunderdome. If one of the participants wants out, the debate has to stay in that thread so all they have to do is stop posting. Bringing up a topic that had gone Thunderdome outside of Thunderdome would have to be approached carefully. Certainly there could be a good point raised worthy of broader discussion, but no bringing it out into the main threads to simply continue the discussion because a target of the debate quit responding.

It might annoy some, but it would also have to be made clear that a poster quitting from the thread is just that they no longer want to discuss it. No claims of victory, no admission of defeat and absolutely no badgering to continue just have to accept the other party has decided not to participate any further. Of course a personal feeling of victory is acceptable, just can't share it on the forum.

Sure there are risks, but we are all being effected to some extent under the current situation. Maybe there are some who want to see some of the bigger offenders given the boot, but I think most affected simply don't want to see the endless debates interrupting other threads. Clearly the mods are having issue with the status quo as they are running out of options. Besides big purple would never approve of Thunderdome and that alone is a good enough reason for me. :hehe:

I'm mean the grow up thing is a thing, but this is the real world where world leaders name call with their thumbs, it isn't Disneyland. :cry:

I like your idea, but I'm not holding out hope.
We already have a Thunderdome for people that want to carry out their own arguments in isolation. It's the Conversation function. You can fight with one person, or you can invite multiple people for either a team argument or free-for-all. You can even argue about politics, the culture war, or swine in a private Conversation. We can't see it. We don't have to moderate it. We don't care.

giphy.gif

What always gets me is that flamewars go on and on and actual discussions tend to fall off the page in a day or so. I used to believe that I was doing companies a favor by arguing in threads about their games because it kept the thread going when there was nothing left to talk about. There's certainly been a lot less Rolemaster discussion on forums since I stopped.

It does but there's no point in looking past 2nd.

I actually don't mind SS. And I like the simplified system in MERP/Cyberspace (though we used them less often than the more complete one).

Of course, there's also the Companions...

I actually don't mind SS. And I like the simplified system in MERP/Cyberspace (though we used them less often than the more complete one).

Of course, there's also the Companions...
Since I only own 1st and 2nd edition there is no point in talking about anything past 2nd.

Yeah, really, Rolemaster wasn't worth playing until the third edition "Rolemaster Standard System." I was on the RMU team for the first year and flamed out, but really the fix was in from the beginning and any promise made by ICE that they were trying to unify the fanbase was made in bad faith.

Kind of like old school employee management. Here are the gloves you two kiss and make up, or take it out back and settle it in the alley.
I got busted for fighting in the 5th grade and the principal made us duke it out with boxing gloves that Friday. Gosh that must have been 1984 or 1985. I got into a lot of fights as a kid.

I’d party with that dude.

Bring back mullets.
That's Bryan fuckin' Ansell, I would totally party with that guy.

Yeah, really, Rolemaster wasn't worth playing until the third edition "Rolemaster Standard System." I was on the RMU team for the first year and flamed out, but really the fix was in from the beginning and any promise made by ICE that they were trying to unify the fanbase was made in bad faith.

163591_tenor.gif

I got busted for fighting in the 5th grade and the principal made us duke it out with boxing gloves that Friday. Gosh that must have been 1984 or 1985. I got into a lot of fights as a kid.

My Dad has an opposite story. He had a teacher who was into the paddle. He used it on my dad once. His step father came to the school and told the teacher the next time he wanted to hit somebody to give him a call.

His step father built dams, (he helped to build Boulder, Shasta and the Dalles dams) so I gather he was not a small chap. Anyway I guess the teacher decided not to take him up on the offer as my dad did not encounter the paddle again.

Just a curiosity, because I wasn't posting in it any longer anyway (haven't even had the urge to, though I've kept reading it), but who threadbanned me after I said that I was making my last post in the sandbox thread?

I'm not annoyed by it because I did say I was done posting there, but I'm curious what the mindset there was.

It was just that...you declared you weren't posting in the thread anymore, we'd been talking about a threadban anyway, so the situations lined up.

Here's my question:

What's the RPGPub mod team actually doing in the blackmail photos Kruegy clearly has of them?

My money is on them taking care of their pet geese.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back