Monty Python's Cocurricular Mediaeval Reeanactment Programme

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Didn't see this one coming.

If such middling, obscure franchises as Star Wars and Lord of the Rings get to have RPGs, why not Monty Python?​
Earth — September 7, 2022 AD — Today publisher Exalted Funeral and developer Crowbar Creative and announced a forthcoming tabletop role-playing game: Monty Python’s Cocurricular Mediaeval Reenactment Programme, which is, in fact, not a role-playing game (silly), but rather a very rigorous course of study intended only for serious students of English History. It is by no means a complete and comprehensive manual for running imaginative, highly unpredictable, Mediaeval-themed role-playing games based upon the complete comedic output of Monty Python with one’s friends. *

This officially licensed Programme consists of a core book featuring an original rules-lite gaming system; guidance on designing adventures; character creation, bestiary, retinue, and NPC sections; tables for generating all sorts of things; and ready-to-run adventures. There is also a madcap, backgammon-based minigame that involves dice catapults and farm animals, called Fetchez la Vache.

Though the game is set in Mediaeval England, it draws upon Monty Python’s complete catalogue of works–Flying Circus, films, albums, stage and live shows–to create an interactive world full of their unique characters, creations, and sensibilities, which can be brought to bear for long-term campaigns or a single evening’s entertainment educational advancement. Players need not be familiar with Monty Python’s work in order to participate; nor is role-playing game experience required. (The latter would be entirely useless, as this is emphatically not a role-playing game, and if you do have extensive experience with such things, you are likely too silly a person to participate in this Programme and should stop reading immediately.)

Monty Python’s Cocurricular Medieval Reenactment Programme will be available to pre-order through Kickstarter in October 2022, with SKUs including the Bloody Peasant Edition, the Sensible Middle Class Edition, the Public School Edition, and the Upper Class Twit Bundle, along with early backer specials and add ons including custom dice, a Head of Light Entertainment Screen, and a Fetchez la Vache set with dice catapults.

*The publisher wishes to add that this is, in fact, exactly what it is: a tabletop role-playing game.​

About Monty Python.
Truly, what more need be said.​

I read the Dicebreaker article/interview and it doesn't sound as terrible as I thought it might be.

giphy.gif

Monty Python was hilarious when I was 8-12 but after working at a game store in the 90's I never want to hear another fucking Monty Python quote in my life. Personal preferences aside, I still feel like this is 20-30 years too late.

Monty Python hasn't aged well... or maybe the folks endlessly quoting it have killed it, by slavishly sticking to the presentation instead of the underlying surreal concept of their worldview.

Well, my wife will be happy. She can get me a rpg-ish x-mas present without fear of it useless sitting on a shelf. If only for the catapult bit.

Anything "Monty Python" without direct involvement from any of the original gang is... well, not on my radar, to be perfectly honest.

And a completely PG, family-friendly version of their comedy is not very interesting at all, unfortunately.

If the combat system can actually produce the type of gameplay suggested by the Black Knight scene, particularly before Arthur shows up, then sign me up. It's going to be hex-and-counter, right?

Monty Python hasn't aged well...

I think it has aged fairly well overall but the problem I suspect is over-familiarity. It's partly the endless quoting but also the after-effects of it's influence on people who came after them. For the record, I still think it's pretty great but I started watching it in 1988 and I was 11 at the time. Back then Python was only 20 years old. It's pushing towards 60 now. Everything that was still reasonably fresh in '88 has been done a thousand times over by other comedy acts and films since then. I think that takes away some of the impact. Although not all of it.

I don't know. A Monty Python RPG to me makes about as little sense as any other game based a comedy troupe would, such as a Broken Lizard RPG, or a The Kids in the Hall RPG. I can't even envision what playing such a game would be like.

I don't know, I could picture a Kids in the Hall RPG using a diceless Powered by the Apocalypse variant where the task resolution requires you gather 30 Helens together and ask them if your in-game plan would succeed. "Only 20 Helens agreed, that's a success with consequences my friend!"

I went back and watched Monty Python's Flying Circus a few years. Laying off it for a few decades definitely helped. It also helps that the overquoters tend to focus on just a few sketches, so there is plenty of it that hasn't been quoted to destruction. They are just great comic performers too, something that can't be said of most fans.

Comedic acting is an interest of mine though, so I have a much higher tolerance for watching sketch shows over and over.

More Blackadder. Alien fromages from Andromeda turning people into Scots in order to win Wimbelton doesn't really sound like WHFRP. I could see the "how to hide" skit going over in it though.
Were they fromages or blancmanges?

1662601775968.png

I was a bit of a Monty Python fanatic as a kid... but mostly because of the weird imagery and surreal bits. I was never prone to quoting them though... I never did find quoting things to be clever, unless done at ironic/wrong/inappropriate moments.

Last edited:
My dad introduced Monty Python via this record:

B0746CB1-C5B9-4E6F-A04A-D2BD29A32989.jpeg

So brilliant. Then the movie And now for something completely different.

By the time I got around to to TV show, I was already spoiled. The Holy Grail of course followed, and Life of Brian during my adolescence and burgeoning agnosticism.

They hold a big place in my heart, but geeks (and shallow geek parroting of the greatest hits) nearly ruined it all for me.

I still think that Eric Idle’s best work was The Ruttles though.

And now for something completely different...

Will there be a special saving throw to defend against fresh fruit?
I don't know. A Monty Python RPG to me makes about as little sense as any other game based a comedy troupe would, such as a Broken Lizard RPG, or a The Kids in the Hall RPG. I can't even envision what playing such a game would be like.

I think with Monty Python, they have a very distinct surrealist aesthetic quality that permeates all of their works, moreso than most comedy troupes. Plus it's been long enough that the trend of "geeks endlessly quoting Monty Python" has kind of fallen by the wayside.

Monty Python is definitely an iconic aspect of Generation X geek culture but not so much with Millennial or especially Generation Z geek culture.

I went back and watched Monty Python's Flying Circus a few years. Laying off it for a few decades definitely helped. It also helps that the overquoters tend to focus on just a few sketches, so there is plenty of it that hasn't been quoted to destruction. They are just great comic performers too, something that can't be said of most fans.

Comedic acting is an interest of mine though, so I have a much higher tolerance for watching sketch shows over and over.

Yeah the original TV series had a lot of great skits beyond the best known ones that have been driven into the ground.

One of my older brothers had all the Monty Python TV scripts in one thick book when I was a teen I read it over and over again. Found a used copy a few years ago and treasure it. When reading the scripts the cleverness of the language really comes through.

Mr. Neutron is a rare case of a whole episode arc and is one of their best imo.

Monty Python hasn't aged well... or maybe the folks endlessly quoting it have killed it, by slavishly sticking to the presentation instead of the underlying surreal concept of their worldview.

Disagree, some of their more outlandish comedy skits on politics has unfortunately turned out to be downright prophetic.

Anything "Monty Python" without direct involvement from any of the original gang is... well, not on my radar, to be perfectly honest.

And a completely PG, family-friendly version of their comedy is not very interesting at all, unfortunately.

Agree, Monty Python was always intended to push boundaries, so making it inoffensive and broadly acceptable seems to miss the point. Also agree with the poster that this seems to come 20-30 years too late.

That said depending on reviews I could see this finding a home on my shelf, but that would require it be truly worthy of the title.

As far as quoting by geeks, I'm of two minds on this (and yes I realize I have gone on to make 3 points, so drop 16 tons on me :happy: ).

A) My experience with this is Holy Grail gets quoted far and away more than any other MP material. Many who quote Holy Grail are not familiar with MP beyond that film.

B) Again my experience, but most who complain about geeks quoting MP are not really fans of MP to begin with so of course it is annoying. Similar to my feelings about people who must prattle on about sports.

C) I will admit Monty Python has kind of gone the Cthulhu route, with it being added to things it really doesn't add to. Now this may seem to run counter to point B, but you can be a huge fan and still recognize over use.

We used to have a swear jar on the gaming table if anyone threw out a Monty Python quote during a game during the 80s. The show had just had a repeat on BBC 2. Telling this story over the years I found it was a fairly common practice amongst British gamers :grin:

I’ve found over the years that the best comedic situations in RPGs arise through spontaneity, not planning. Trying to be funny all the time felt forced and contrived.

But to each their own etc… if having a game system custom-made to emulate a style of comedy is what you want/need, all the power to you.

B) Again my experience, but most who complain about geeks quoting MP are not really fans of MP to begin with so of course it is annoying. Similar to my feelings about people who must prattle on about sports.
I appreciate Monty Python, seen all the flicks, listened to the records, etc but groan in derision at loathsome quoters. The same thing is happening with Rick & Morty. I appreciate the nihilistic cosmic horror but loathe the cringey fans.

Last edited:
I'm a huge fan of Monty Python, but really can't see the point in having a Monty Python trpg
Sounds just like contrived a cash-grab to me

I remember there being a pretty negative reaction from fans (myself included) when the Monty Python computer game was announced in the late 80s/early 90s. There was a lot of scepticism around. Just how "Monty Python" would it actually be? In the end it was a fairly standard 2D platform/scrolling shooter so it should have been a disappointment really, but... it actually got some decent reviews and I really enjoyed it. They created a really surreal environment based on Terry Gilliam's animations and threw in lot's of characters and references to the show's sketches. It all came together quite nicely and felt, against-the-odds, Python-esque.

If they approached this game as a rules-light fantasy game with a surreal setting, like the computer game crossed with Far Away Land (and a touch of WFRP grimness i.e. the flesh wounds), then it might be a pretty fun little pick-up RPG. If the book was written well, and included a lot of Gilliam's artwork, then it could be worth owning just for reading even.

They could make it work. However, my hat of scepticism is back on until there's more details available.

I appreciate Monty Python, seen all the flicks, listened to the records, etc but groan in derision at loathsome quoters. The same thing is happening with Rick & Morty. I appreciate the nihilistic cosmic horror but loathe the cringey fans.

Sure if I wasn't clear, there are certainly people who are bad about this, but that is a people thing. They probably poorly quote Airplane as well.

I tend to quote from movies, but I mix it up and try to use something appropriate to the situation so it could be Monty Python, but just as easily be from Clint Eastwood or Ahnold. Often times people won't even know I'm using a quote, it is just something that amuses me, and gets even more payback when the other knows the quote. A man has got to know his limitations. :happy:

I was commenting more on the idea that there are just people everywhere quoting Monty Python non-stop. I just don't run across that, but I have run across people who quoting anything Monty Python is too much even if they didn't know it was MP until explained.

I know it kills my geek cred, but I've never actually seen Holy Grail. I've seen clips here and there, and had it quoted to me ad nauseum, but I've never actually watched it. Only Python I've seen is Meaning of Life. At least I have a Crown Royal dicebag...

Oddly enough, I never encountered Monty Python quotes in any game I played in.

When I first got into Vampire: The Masquerade as a teen, I did ST a one-shot with my brothers and we did quote Blue Collar Comedy Tour and The Simpsons a lot for some damn reason.

I know it kills my geek cred, but I've never actually seen Holy Grail. I've seen clips here and there, and had it quoted to me ad nauseum, but I've never actually watched it. Only Python I've seen is Meaning of Life. At least I have a Crown Royal dicebag...

My fav Python film is Life of Brian but they're all good. My favourite skits in Meaning of Life are the classroom sex education scene, the every sperm is sacred skit and colonist meets African tiger skit.

When I was in High School MP quotes were popular among my friends but so were Simpsons and Kids in the Hall quotes.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back