Mothership - Titan

Séadna

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Game is set clearly enough on Titan, Saturn's moon. Year is 2185 and the colony is nearly fifty years old and the most distant colony from Earth. Titan itself remains mostly unterraformed, still raining methane etc. The colony is built into the bed rock of a lake whose lower levels contain volcanically heated water.

The set up is that on the eve before the anniversary of the colony's founding one of the heads of an FTL project, a diplomat from Jupiter and the leader of a religion founded on Titan are all found murdered. One in her lab, the second in his quarters and the third in his church.

PCs are members of investigative team brought in.

System is the Mothership SciFi horror RPG. No need to know the rules as I'll be rolling, I'll just provide basic details to enable reading the character sheet. Char Gen is pretty simple as well.

EDIT: For those who know Mothership it's standard char gen just without the android class

Last edited:

Edgewise

Legendary Member
Reaction score
I'm in if you'll have me. Standard character generation rules?

Séadna

Legendary Member
Reaction score
I'm interested, what's the next step?
So Char Gen basically.

To understand the character sheet a summary of the system:
  1. Basically percentile, roll under.
  2. Rolling a double is a critical success if under and a critical failure if over.
  3. There are four stats: Strength, Speed, Intellect, Combat. These are the values you roll under during checks
  4. Skills add to your stat rolls in relevant situations, giving either a +10, +15 or +20 depending on how trained they are
  5. There are saves, but they're fixed by class
They've a pdf summarising the rules:

Char Gen is summed up nicely in the official character sheet:

In summary:
  1. Roll 6d10 for each stat
  2. Pick class
  3. Pick skills. Most are determined by your class, but you get to pick 3-4 additional ones.
  4. Pick equipment set
Classes and equipment sets given on the char sheet.

The only thing is if you don't have the book you won't know your trinket (minor random object you start with mentioned in step) and your patch (little symbol on your clothes). These are mentioned in step 4. You can roll for it and I'll tell you the results.

Only house rule is no androids.

Last edited:

Smith

Reaction score
I'm intrigued! (Not to mention refreshing the Game Ads page since Stay Frosty ended).

Name: Lassiter

Class: Scientist - Colonial Investigator

Strength: 43
Speed: 22
Intellect: 41*
Combat: 19

Initial Stats roll +10 to Int for Scientist

Skills:
Trained:

- Biology
- Chemistry
- Rimwise
Expert:
- Psychology

Loadout: Unknown - Looking at them I feel like I need a mix between exploration and examination? Not sure, would take GM advice. I guess Exploration might be the best fit?

Rolls for Trinket & Patch

Trinket: Pamphlet: Interpreting Sheep Dreams - Lassie has been having troublesome dreams for the past year or so since his divorce. In lieu of seeing the department shrink he has tried to self-heal with wishy-washy corporate feel good propaganda.

Patch:DRINK / FIGHT / FUCK” - a faded battle patch from his old unit, the 43rd Colonial Combat Team, of which he was an NCO before his discharge.

Description: will be added

Background: Lassiter is a walking cliche - military man through and through, he was an NCO in the Colonial Marines. Extended combat stim usage shot his nerves and reaction times and he was forced out of active duty into a desk job. This lack of action got to Lassie, who thrived in high-stakes work, and by extension it took a toll on his marriage. In an effort to escape Earth and the memories of his failed union, he dove into becoming a Colonial Marshall and found he had a knack for detective work.

Last edited:

Edgewise

Legendary Member
Reaction score
I was able to create a character in about five minutes. My rolls were all above average but only slightly.

2nd Lieutenant Finn Shah (marine)
Stats

• Strength: 38
  • Speed: 35
  • Intelligence: 38
  • Combat: 41 (+5 when friendly marine nearby)
Condition
  • Health: 76
  • Stress: 2
  • Resolve: 0
Saves
  • Sanity: 25
  • Fear: 30
  • Body: 35
  • Armor: 40
Skills
  • Military training
  • First aid
  • Scavenging
  • Piloting
Equipment
  • SMG
  • Frag grenade x 6
  • Battle dress (HUD, body cam, short range comms)
  • Stim pack x 6
  • Electronic tools
  • Crowbar
  • Credits x 8
  • Pair of shot glasses and shotgun shells (commemorated commission with grandfather)
  • Patch that says "Volunteer"
Finn comes from a military family with a long history of participation in special forces. He didn't make the cut, however, so he advanced along the officer track. Finn was assigned command of a team that performed boarding and salvage after naval conflicts, and was deeply disappointed in himself. He eventually mustered out of the marines after becoming disgusted by the corruption among the salvage crews and upsetting the wrong people in the process of trying to remedy the situation. Finn tries to be the "perfect soldier" despite his return to civilian life, and he's looking for opportunities to prove his heroism.

I hope we have at least one more marine so we can get our +5 combat bonuses :gunslinger:

Last edited:

Brock Savage

Cosmic Barbarian
Reaction score
So Char Gen basically.
I just got the book. I am not confused on how to create a character but I have never played an RPG by post so explain it like I'm 5. Is there an app where I roll dice or do I just use Rolz.org?

I hope we have at least one more marine so we can get our +5 combat bonuses :gunslinger:
Funny you say that. I was thinking of playing a former enlisted Marine who is now a civilian private eye hired by the insurance division of a zaibatsu that was impacted by the murders. I am not sure if that works in the setting, what do you think @Séadna

Last edited:

Séadna

Legendary Member
Reaction score
I just got the book. I am not confused on how to create a character but I have played an RPG by post so explain it like I'm 5. Is there an app where I roll dice or do I just use Rolz.org?
I tend to do the rolls just for expediency. Basically in a play by post I've found the four step exchange of
player action->I ask for roll->player rolls->GM narration
slows things down. However I use orokos.com for the rolls and leave links to each roll I use in resolving actions. An example of our log from the Stay Frosty game is here:

Funny you say that. I was thinking of playing a former enlisted Marine who is now a civilian private eye hired by the insurance division of a zaibatsu that was impacted by the murders. I am not sure if that works in the setting, what do you think @Séadna
Sounds great to me @Brock Savage

Brock Savage

Cosmic Barbarian
Reaction score
Dale Bradshaw Cooper "Cooper" (Marine)

Stats
• Strength: 33
• Speed: 31
• Intelligence: 35
• Combat: 42

Skills
• Military training
• Rimwise
• Computers
• Archaeology

Equipment
• Scalpel
• Tranq Pistol
• Stun Baton
• Hazard Suit
• Medscanner
• Automed x6
• Pain Pills x6
• Stimpak x6
• Cybernetic Diagnostic Scanner
Bent Wrench (memento of fiance)
Patch “Welcome to the DANGER ZONE”

Cooper's been out of the Corps for a good 6 years now. Did the college thing, majored in Archaeology/Information Systems while doing repo and collections to make ends meet. Almost got married but that fell apart. Got his degree but there's not much demand for archaeologists these days without academic connections. He finds himself missing the camaraderie and sense of purpose in the Corps; he stays busy with work and drink to keep those thoughts at bay. Somehow he ended up here, drifting along the outer colonies as a PI, investigating insurance fraud for the zaibatsu.

Brock Savage

Cosmic Barbarian
Reaction score
As a parenthetical note, I imagine Cooper deals with the space ship equivalent of marine insurance and there are a lot of "coffin ship" cases because it's still the Wild West in the outer colonies.

Séadna

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Just to say I'll wait a day or two to see if we get more then put up the In-Game thread.

Séadna

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Thread up:

I have spoilers if you don't want to know info other characters know.