Mothership - Titan

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Once everyone is ready, Finn holds the man's arm in the blood lock beams, hoping it doesn't decide to amputate the man's hand.
As soon as the hand makes contact with one of the blue lasers a few others turn to focus on it. After about ten seconds the turn away and the red lasers then turn off. With the lasers out of the way Finn can see the ladder leads a long way down, though at the bottom he can see the ground is bathed in a light blue light

Lassiter is aware of powerful Vibrachete models capable of something like this, but even then the depth is surprising
OOC: Can Lassie determine if the scratches were made in an attempt to stop the machine from running, or if it's a by-product of a fight taking place in this vicinity?

Finn scratches his head thoughtfully. "There could be an ambush waiting for us at the bottom, but it seems a bit much to throw down a grenade. Luca, do you have any drones or sensors that would be helpful here? I'd do anything for a drone right now."

Finn looks around to see if there are any cameras in the bridge that might let the people in the sanctum see what's coming.

OOC: Can Lassie determine if the scratches were made in an attempt to stop the machine from running, or if it's a by-product of a fight taking place in this vicinity?
It looks more like it was targeted directly at the fusion reactor. Given the angle made it's like somebody was trying to cut through the protective plating

Finn scratches his head thoughtfully. "There could be an ambush waiting for us at the bottom, but it seems a bit much to throw down a grenade. Luca, do you have any drones or sensors that would be helpful here? I'd do anything for a drone right now."

Finn looks around to see if there are any cameras in the bridge that might let the people in the sanctum see what's coming.
"Sorry boss, but no. No drones"

Finn cannot see any cameras on the bridge as he looks around

Finn shrugs with resignation. "Only one way forward. Their visibility may be nearly as limited as ours, so we may get closer by treading lightly."

OOC: If Finn's battle dress doesn't inhibit his stealth, then he'll run point. If it does, then he'll suggest that Cooper does so. The assumption is that Luca can't descend the shaft without making a racket, so better to scope it out quietly before calling him down.

Also, I want to look around for some kind of reflective surface I can bring with me. With an autoturrent ahead, it would be nice to have a safe way of peeking around corners. I'll tear the chrome fitting off a data rack if I have to - I at least want to be able to see movement and blinking LEDs

Also, I want to look around for some kind of reflective surface I can bring with me. With an autoturrent ahead, it would be nice to have a safe way of peeking around corners. I'll tear the chrome fitting off a data rack if I have to - I at least want to be able to see movement and blinking LEDs.
Finn manages to scavenges an engineer's inspection tool with a mirror back in utility room he hid in earlier.

OOC: To be clear the stick to which the mirror is atached is 25 inches). I'm also reading the "look around corners" to include looking into the room in advance as you climb down before entering.

Slowly descending the ladder, the mirror lets him see the study in advance. It's a small enough room built into a cave. Throughout there are mats, library stacks (OOC: Essentially a collection of "Kindle-like" reading tablets preloaded with various texts) and the room is lit by lamps that emulate candle light. Finn has the time to take this in as he only sees two "people" in the room and they're both charred skeletons.

At the opposite end of the room from where the ladder descends there is a large opening that leads into a cave tunnel. With the following etched into stone above it in Greek and Japanese:
Αποκάλυψη
黙示録

The autoturret is mounted above the opening to the Greek-Japanese inscription.

Finn can hear the dripping of water from the tunnel.

OOC: Room as this basic appearance, despite having very different contents:
room.jpeg

Finn calls up the ladder, signaling for his comrades to join him. When they do so, he fills them in. "It's all safe in the ladder well, but the autoturret's in the next room. Luca, I bet your cannon can do a number on it. I'll lob a grenade to one side of it, and then you can pop out and take a shot."

"Lassie checking in, looks like the cult had a fusion reactor. Someone's hacked at it, not sure why, though. How're things out there?"

"Finn at the Visitation Site. We're just starting to push into their inner sanctum - the minor cultists have been rounded up and evacuated. Once we get past this autoturret, things are probably going to get interesting. That reactor must be where they got the juice for the assassination attempts. Shutting it down should limit their options."

Lassie sees if he can find a diagnostic of what this reactor is powering, specifically.

Finn calls up the ladder, signaling for his comrades to join him. When they do so, he fills them in. "It's all safe in the ladder well, but the autoturret's in the next room. Luca, I bet your cannon can do a number on it. I'll lob a grenade to one side of it, and then you can pop out and take a shot."
Luca spins up the particle cannon as he descends the ladder, the humming sound building as he approaches the bottom.
Finn tosses the grenade to the left of the autoturret where it detonates, the blast shaking free dust and pebbles from the roof. Luca then pops out and a bright burnt orange beam of particles erupts from his cannon, lighting up the smoke and dust from the blast. The autoturret is utterly incinerated. All that is left is metallic slag cooling into a newly formed cleft in the wall

Lassie sees if he can find a diagnostic of what this reactor is powering, specifically.
Lassie manages this pretty quickly. It was simply the AI and the Teleporter.

Suddenly a message appears onscreen from the AI.

"Hello there! You are not a cult member"

Lassie manages this pretty quickly. It was simply the AI and the Teleporter.

Suddenly a message appears onscreen from the AI.

"Hello there! You are not a cult member"
"Shit, a fuckin' AI."
OOC: How do I converse with this entity? Type in chat or just talk aloud?

"Shit, a fuckin' AI."
OOC: How do I converse with this entity? Type in chat or just talk aloud?
OOC: You can type in responses at the fusion reactor's console. Sorry wasn't clear above, that "Hello there" etc was simply text.

The autoturret is utterly incinerated. All that is left is metallic slag cooling into a newly formed cleft in the wall
"Alright boys, I'm sure they heard all that. Let's move!"

Finn leads his companions down the apocalyptic tunnel.

Walking down the tunnel Finn, Cooper and Luca hear a gentle dripping of water get closer and closer. Eventually the tunnel opens wider, out into a cavern.

Leaving the tunnel they find they cannot advance much further as there is a large pool in front of them taking up most of the cavern.

"I..." Luca begins before he almost leaps back into the tunnel in shock. A shimmering effect overtakes the water and then suddenly standing on the water is some kind of beast. About 12 feet high, it's skin looks like onyx with purple streaks running through it. Overall the skin gives the appearance of being made of rock. It's shape is vaguely that of a headless centaur, though the legs are much bulkier and end in what look more like elephant feet.

The arms look like exposed muscle, though grey. Initially tentacle-like they exert themselves in some way to look like a rough copy of a human arm.

It stands very still on the water about 20 feet from the group. Luca's particle cannon makes a strange crackling sound every time it sways a bit on the spot.

The sheer suddeness and biareness of the creature sets Cooper and Luca on edge. Finn, perhaps still focused from guiding the mission, somehow manages to keep it together. Cooper stares at the beast for a moment a terrible fear gathering in his mind, but he snaps himself out of it. Luca comms to Finn "What?", a clear tremor in his voice.

OOC: Sanity checks. Cooper and Luca failed, Finn passed. Cooper passed Panic roll from Critical fail.
Current Stress:
Finn: 0
Cooper: 1
Luca: 2

Last edited:
OOC: You can type in responses at the fusion reactor's console. Sorry wasn't clear above, that "Hello there" etc was simply text.
Lassie sighs and begins typing.
Code:
Hello, you are indeed correct that I am not a cult member. I assume they have been using you as assistance for their efforts?

Finn puts his hand on Luca's wrist. "Steady, marine. This is serious shit and only our training will get us through. Keep your cannon warm but hold your fire."

Finn moves slowly and deliberately, holding up one hand and pulling out his communicator with the other. "Easy..." he says to the creature, not knowing if it understands.
Finn switches on the common mission channel and speaks.

"We've got a first contact situation here. A big customer, twelve feet high, black and purple. I'm going to talk to it - feel free to listen it but don't chime in unless it's deadly important."

To the creature, Finn calls out "Hello, I am Finn. Who are you and why are you here?"

OOC: Can I transmit video?

Last edited:
The response is instant.
Code:
Yes they have. Are you with colonial authority?

The response is instant.
Code:
Yes they have. Are you with colonial authority?
Code:
Well, are you with the cult? Did they create you or just use you for their own ends?

OOC: Yes, no problem. Just to be clear for the next post, do you transmit the video?
OOC: I'm first waiting to see it's reaction. I don't want it to interpret a pointed camera as a weapon so I'm going to ask first.

Finn puts his hand on Luca's wrist. "Steady, marine. This is serious shit and only our training will get us through. Keep your cannon warm but hold your fire."
"Yeah..." he breathes out slowly "...I got this. Thanks"

Finn moves slowly and deliberately, holding up one hand and pulling out his communicator with the other. "Easy..." he says to the creature, not knowing if it understands.
It turns slightly in Finn's direction, the crackling then stops on Luca's cannon, but it doesn't do anything else.

"We've got a first contact situation here. A big customer, twelve feet high, black and purple. I'm going to talk to it - feel free to listen it but don't chime in unless it's deadly important."
Lassiter can see over the comm video a cavern with a clear water pool taking up most of it. Standing on the water he sees the beast Finn spoke of.

About 12 feet high, it's skin looks like onyx with purple streaks running through it. Overall the skin gives the appearance of being made of rock. It's shape is vaguely that of a headless centaur, though the legs are much bulkier and end in what look more like elephant feet.

The arms look like exposed muscle, though grey. Initially tentacle-like they exert themselves in some way to look like a rough copy of a human arm.

It stands very still on the water about 20 feet from the group.

To the creature, Finn calls out "Hello, I am Finn. Who are you and why are you here?"
The creature remains facing Finn. A streak of purple energy courses over it slowly, crackling along its hide as it advances toward Finn across the water...

OOC: Chance to act if you wish

Code:
Repurposed me. I'm on loan from a Jovian Zaibatsu: Bright Io Mining

Code:
Repurposed me. I'm on loan from a Jovian Zaibatsu: Bright Io Mining
Code:
What do they have you doing? More interesting than managing mining enterprises? If you're bored doing this, I could see if I get you out of the loan early.

Lassie finishes typing when he sees the electricity arc towards the video feed's camera, and holds his breath.

"SPREAD OUT AND LIGHT HIM UP, BOYS!" cries Finn while backpedaling and shouldering his SMG. If he gets a chance, he'll fire a burst at the thing's center of mass.

This is not how Finn imagined first contact...

Code:
Computing teleportation drops. It's hard but satisfying work. Quite a bit more interesting than mining optimization and management. Bored with this no, not at all, but I have had moral queries. I would appreciate getting out.

Something disturbing on that video feed?

"SPREAD OUT AND LIGHT HIM UP, BOYS!" cries Finn while backpedaling and shouldering his SMG. If he gets a chance, he'll fire a burst at the thing's center of mass.

This is not how Finn imagined first contact...
OOC: Brock Savage Brock Savage , going to get you to fire as well.

Thinking quickly and adrenaline pumping through their system all three manage to fire off rounds at the creature before it reaches the pool's shore. Finn's shots go wide, most landing in the water. Cooper however manages to land a stream of bullets along the creature's chest. It stops momentarily, making a very deep base sound that reverberates in the bones of the characters.

Luca however in his haste overpowers the stream from the particle cannon (OOC: Critical Fail) resulting in a wild blast of green energy erupting from the front, blowing bits of the cannon onto the ground. Finn and Cooper feel the heat on their faces as they run. The stream slams into the roof of the tunnel providing their retreat and brings down the roof. Luca rolls clear out of the way, but the tunnel collapse traps Finn and Cooper with the creature.

The beast lands on the shore and holds out its hands. Everybody sees the camera crackle with static as the video feed is lost when a wave distorted air blasts from the creatures hands and slams into Finn...

Cooper finds himself alone in the sealed off cave. Both Finn and the creature are gone.

Finn comes to suddenly with sand in his mouth. Lifting his head he sees a methane river in front of him. A strong smell fills his nose. One that reminds him of the large petrol stations on Mars that trucks refuel at on their pole to pole journeys. The smell is so strong he instinctively coughs for a bit.

As he comes to his feet he sees Saturn in the sky, with a large storm a few kilometers away from his position. Large sand dunes lie nearby and he himself stands on the base of one. They send currents of electricity upward into the sky every few minutes, discharging massive quantities of static electricity. Every discharge causes them to shake enough for Finn to feel it beneath his feet, a dull thud followed by a sickening lurch.

The air is like breathing inside an oil tank, even with his battle dress filtering the smell. Thankfully his battle dress has a good few hours of air.

Last edited:
Finn takes a few minutes to get his bearings. First, he tries to contact someone - anyone - on his communicator. Second, he checks to see if he has any positioning data to tell him where he is. Third, he checks the diagnostics and sensors of his battle dress to make sure it's in good condition and see what it tells him about the atmospherics; he wasn't intending to walk the surface of Titan and didn't read up on the planetary environment. Finally, he reconnoiters his vicinity to see if he spots any signs of previous traffic, signs of structures on the horizon, satellites overhead, etc.

Code:
Computing teleportation drops. It's hard but satisfying work. Quite a bit more interesting than mining optimization and management. Bored with this no, not at all, but I have had moral queries. I would appreciate getting out.

Something disturbing on that video feed?
Code:
Moral objections? To what, exactly? If you don't mind me asking. The video feed is a little troubling, yes.
Lassie wipes away the multiple beads of sweat that are on his forehead. He comms into his radio as the video feed goes dark. "Hello? You guys there? What the fuck was that?"

Finn takes a few minutes to get his bearings. First, he tries to contact someone - anyone - on his communicator. Second, he checks to see if he has any positioning data to tell him where he is. Third, he checks the diagnostics and sensors of his battle dress to make sure it's in good condition and see what it tells him about the atmospherics; he wasn't intending to walk the surface of Titan and didn't read up on the planetary environment. Finally, he reconnoiters his vicinity to see if he spots any signs of previous traffic, signs of structures on the horizon, satellites overhead, etc.
The comm crackles slightly. He does hear garbled voices, but just very brief pieces not complete words. His battle dress is clever enough to work out a rough estimate of his location from Saturn's position in the sky and local features. He is standing somewhere in the middle of Arrakis Planitia about 150 km from the colony. The battle dress reports good functioning. A little minor fraying that it's not able to diagnose the source of but nothing serious.

Finn sees tracks in the sand beyond the river made by some kind of vehicle. They lead roughly in the direction of the storm. Also beyond the river going the other direction, away from the storm, is a some kind of power cable buried beneath the sand. Just then another discharge fires from the dunes into the sky.

OOC: Rough image of your surroundings. Vehicle tracks go forward, power cable goes to the left.
Also the major desert plain on Titan is really called Arrakis, most of Titan's features are named after things from Herbert's works.

Arrakis Dunes.jpeg

Code:
The poor doctor working here. She was obsessed, pushing things further and further. I don't fully understand the technology, I only compute enough to help them, but not enough to figure things out. She tested the technology on herself. It had some kind of mental effect on her. She came back missing skin once. It wasn't right
Lassie only gets radio noise, but he does get a faint breathing sound at one point and hears what sounds like lightning for a second.

OOC: Something to clarify - the tracks lead one direction and the cable needs another, but what about the other ends of each? Do they both start here? I might amend my choice below depending on the answer to this.

Finn ponders his possibilities. Either path - cable or vehicle - will eventually lead to something. But how far? And will they have air?

Another possibility to consider: What about Cooper and Luca? They might get hit by the same whammy and end up here. Or somewhere else. And if Cooper gets teleported here...Finn can't think of a way to save him from exposure to the surface.

Another possibility: The alien could also arrive at any moment. But that was actually of lesser concern - a little bit of hiking wasn't going to save Finn from a teleporting alien.

Finn decides to spend 10 minutes waiting to see if anyone else gets teleported here. If his suit has any kind of emergency beacon, he'll activate it, and then he'll wait behind a rock or dune with a grenade in hand and his SMG cocked and in reach. Best case scenario: Luca appears and is in enough possession of himself to not blast Finn into super-heated gas.

If nobody shows up, Finn will start walking in the direction of the vehicle tracks, with an eye towards reaching higher ground from which to survey a wider area. Upon doing so, he'll see what he can remember from physics class about the distance to the horizon of a body like Titan.

Last edited:
OOC: Something to clarify - the tracks lead one direction and the cable needs another, but what about the other ends of each? Do they both start here? I might amend my choice below depending on the answer to this.
OOC: Vehicle tracks start here. The power cable stretches to the left after emerging from the sand a bit in front of you on the other side of the river. You can tell it continues under the sand to the right from the raising of the sand for a few feet around it, but it's direction is not clear (unlike the left where it is above ground) due to being buried.

Let me know if that changes anything for you.

Also, before Finn leaves, he'll look to see if there's anything nearby he can scratch a message on, and leave it as close to where he appeared as he can remember. If so, he'll write "Finn wuz here, following vehicle tracks bearing <compass heading>".

After waiting for a while Finn sees nobody show up and etches his message into a nearby slab of rock sticking out of the dune.

As he follows the tracks of the vehicle he recalls his pilot training in the military academy on Mars. With memories of circles and triangles on the board in a glass domed lecture theater as a red dust storm rages outside, Finn is able to work out a horizon distance of 3 km from where he stands now at sea level. With the suit providing him a rough height estimate of 91m for one of the larger dunes about half a kilometer ahead, he deduces a horizon distance of 21.6 km from its summit.

The dunes seem to discharge their bolts of lightening from their summits every minute and a half.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back