Mothership - Titan

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Finn looks around to see if there are any administrative staff who look friendly. To such a person he'll say:

"How is the coffee around here? Excuse me, but I am a new visitor just out of stasis and I need to know what I'm in for." Finn smiles ingratiatingly.

Cooper orders an Americano with a splash of nonfat and a piece of baklava. He sips his drink and people watches, trying to grok the spirit of this place.

Lassiter will get whatever seems to be the default menu choice, and pipes up to Cooper. "What did you think of the Administrator, then?"

Cooper polishes off his last bite of baklava and muses, "She appears helpful and cooperative. We'll see if that holds true when we dig up something embarrassing to her administration."

Finn looks around to see if there are any administrative staff who look friendly. To such a person he'll say:

"How is the coffee around here? Excuse me, but I am a new visitor just out of stasis and I need to know what I'm in for." Finn smiles ingratiatingly.
A middle aged man of Asian extraction stops to speak, extending his umbrella over Finn.

"The coffee here? Good as far as I can tell, probably the best in the city..." he laughs a little "...but that's out of three places"

OOC: What planet is everybody native to? Lassiter is from Earth and I'll default to that unless you'd prefer something else.
No need to worry about setting details, this is more for the general physical impression you make, i.e. from a high-G world like Earth means you have a stockier more toned build. The bulk of human population is on Earth, Mars and the Moon.

Cooper orders an Americano with a splash of nonfat and a piece of baklava. He sips his drink and people watches, trying to grok the spirit of this place.
As he watches Cooper sees people greeting each other at local stalls pretty frequently in a very friendly way. The general pace of life seems slow, closer to a town than a city. The odd vehicle passes every now and then meandering its way through crowds, but most traffic is on foot. He does however see a few people stopping to look in his direction, as well as stall owners quickly gesturing at the trio. Lassiter, Finn and himself clearly stick out.

Lassiter will get whatever seems to be the default menu choice, and pipes up to Cooper. "What did you think of the Administrator, then?"
A sweet Greek coffee with a complimentary little baklava was handed to Lassiter.

A middle aged man of Asian extraction stops to speak, extending his umbrella over Finn.

"The coffee here? Good as far as I can tell, probably the best in the city..." he laughs a little "...but that's out of three places"
"That'll do, then. If there's anything I've learned from running from job to job, it's that you take what you can get."

Finn smiles, inhales the scent of coffee.

"Say, friend, I haven't introduced myself. The name's Finn Shah, pleased to meet you."

<offers hand, waits for other party to introduce himself>

"I must stick out like a sore thumb. It's always so disorienting to lose a whole year in stasis...I could have a baby on Luna by now, though I really hope not." Grinning. "What have I missed in the last year? Any big shakeups? Is there still an Earth?"

"That'll do, then. If there's anything I've learned from running from job to job, it's that you take what you can get."

Finn smiles, inhales the scent of coffee.

"Say, friend, I haven't introduced myself. The name's Finn Shah, pleased to meet you."

<offers hand, waits for other party to introduce himself>

"I must stick out like a sore thumb. It's always so disorienting to lose a whole year in stasis...I could have a baby on Luna by now, though I really hope not." Grinning. "What have I missed in the last year? Any big shakeups? Is there still an Earth?"
"Well Finn, I'm Aoi....Aoi Tanaka" he says taking Finn's hand with a smile. Finn sees a trace of surprise or shock cross the man's face when he mentions the possibility of a baby but he recovers quickly and laughs a bit.

"There's still an Earth alright. Big shakeups...hmm I can't think of any, I don't follow Inner System politics much though. The main thing for us was GECI (OOC: Jupiter's moons) getting that trade agreement with Mars. Means our stuff...very indirectly...might end up sold on Earth and Mars. That's a much bigger market.

Oh and yeah you stick out like a sore thumb, you look..." he makes a muscle flexing motion "...big you know. Those guys with you even more so"

Finn looks down awkwardly. "Well if things work out with that trade agreement, Aoi, you might be seeing more guys like us. You know, consultants from Earth and Mars."

Finn sips his coffee.

"Any places in town you'd recommend for a visitor who wants to get to know Titan?"

"Oh...man...sorry I was a bit blunt there. You're not odd or worrying or anything, just..." he searches for the right word "...toned, can't get that build here"

He looks around a bit when Finn asks the tourist question.

"Well the number one thing is the Titanic Nature preserve, the little lake with the native life. A few microbes nothing like those jellyfish things on Io, but you know aliens all the same...eh you head up the street there..." he points to the left "...there's a museum about the settling of Saturn's moons and eh..." he thinks for a bit "...plenty of good restaurants..." he takes out a notepad and jots down two names and hands the list to Finn.

List says:
Psaravolada (Greek)
Astakas Sushi (Greek/Japanese)

"Thanks a lot, Aoi!"

OOC: I don't want to belabor the conversation so probably best I wind it up. Sorry if I was dragging it out, guys.

OOC: No worries! It was good info

Lassiter drains the last of his coffee, and begins munching on the sweet baklava. "Still got cotton-mouth from the damn cryopod. I can barely even register how sweet this should be." He nods at Finn. "You worked with him before, Cooper?"

Cooper shakes his head no, "Nah, but since we were all in the Corps it's kinda like we already know each other, ya know?"

OOC: If we're done in this area, shall we move on to the first scene?

"Thanks a lot, Aoi!"

OOC: I don't want to belabor the conversation so probably best I wind it up. Sorry if I was dragging it out, guys.
Aoi nods his head. "No worries, enjoy your stay"

He heads off toward the Administrative building behind the coffee shop, a five story glass panelled office block.

After finishing up their coffee break the trio walk about a mile through the town. Along the way aside from the usual fare common to most cities (shops, movie theaters, etc) they pass a park with a pagoda and lake garden that seems to be quite popular with the locals. The odd Orthodox church and small Shinto shrines are spotted along the way which makes their destination stick out even more when they arrive.

The church occupies a street it shares with a bookshop (opposite side) and hardware store (same side). It's seems to be about 60 feet tall and quite simple architecturally. Roughly square shaped with a sloped roof. However the walls seem to be made of a transparent precious stone with green veins of a sort running through it.

61AGMA18_12.jpg

The entry consists of oaken double doors, on both of which are carved an image of a hoary old man on a boat with his left hand held up in a form of "Stop" gesture. His mouth hangs open and his eyes are wide. Steps lead down from the door to the street.

The doors are currently open though the interior is hard to see due to the dark blue effect of a stasis field covering it. Outside an exhausted looking man in a blue jacket with "Titan Security" on it stands on the steps drinking a coffee. He eyes the trio for a second through the rain before returning to his coffee.

Cooper records images of the church, particularly the doors and building material. He considers approaching the security guard but decides to conference with his older colleagues before taking action.

OOC: Can Cooper run an image search on the old man on the double doors? Can Cooper determine the material used to build this church?

"He looks like he's expecting us."

Finn does a quick loop of the building to note means of egress (windows, doors, etc.) and any unusual features.

OOC: What do we know about this cult's history and doctrine, and its status on Titan?

Cooper records images of the church, particularly the doors and building material. He considers approaching the security guard but decides to conference with his older colleagues before taking action.

OOC: Can Cooper run an image search on the old man on the double doors? Can Cooper determine the material used to build this church?
Cooper's image search returns results quickly enough once his scanner interfaces with Titan's local network. The image is of the cult's founder: Dincer Bulut. According to the local network he was an immigrant to Titan from Earth who had worked in mining in the underground lake known as Plastiras Lower before having some sort of "insight" and founding the Inner Way cult.
The scanner is able to categorize the material itself but confirms with the network. It's Titanic Quartz, a volcanic rock found in the Plastiras Lower's lake bed. Often shipped to Jupiter for use in jewelry.

"He looks like he's expecting us."

Finn does a quick loop of the building to note means of egress (windows, doors, etc.) and any unusual features.

OOC: What do we know about this cult's history and doctrine, and its status on Titan?
OOC: Not much. That it is considered relatively harmless according to Titan's authorities and one of the many minor syncretic religions to be found in the Solar System. The doctrine is only revealed to members, but Titan's government registered it as an Orthodox Catholic/Buddhism fusion.

Finn heads around the building and notices a few windows on each side and a wooden back door. The back door lacks the carvings of the front door. Lying on the ground next to the back door is a small statue of the man depicted in the carvings on the front door. The statue consists of both the man himself and his small canoe and is made from what seems to be marble. It's a bit chipped around the base of the canoe. The building itself has no features that stand out to Finn.

"Might as well get this show on the road."

OOC: Finn is going to approach and talk to the guard, but if anyone stops me, then this didn't happen.

"Hey there, I think you're expecting us. We're here to investigate the murder - Koga sent us." Finn then presents his identification.

While Finn does the talking Cooper is going to remain unobtrusive and observant, ready to provide back up if need be.

"Might as well get this show on the road."

OOC: Finn is going to approach and talk to the guard, but if anyone stops me, then this didn't happen.

"Hey there, I think you're expecting us. We're here to investigate the murder - Koga sent us." Finn then presents his identification.
The man at the door takes Finn's identification and scans it.

"Checks out..." he hands back the identification "...so you lot are the guys they brought in from off world? We went over this place and the other two murder scenes ourselves, but I'll be damned if I can figure any of it out..." He pauses for a moment "...eh just to warn you it's a bit strange. Not gross exactly, but..." he trails off "...you want to head in?"

"That's what they sent us for. Let us see it with fresh eyes, but we'd be interested in getting your take afterwards. Has anyone been in here since the incident?"

"That's what they sent us for. Let us see it with fresh eyes, but we'd be interested in getting your take afterwards. Has anyone been in here since the incident?"
He takes out a small tablet, presses a button or two and the room beyond the front doors returns to a normal colour accompanied by a sharp whine as time inside speeds back up to normal. It's dimly lit by the city outside, but all of you can make out pews close to the door.

"No, not inside anyway. We did a sweep of the place, gathered images and then put the whole thing in stasis. We've been holding it for you since shortly after our initial report. Odd cult member has nosied about outside, but we've run them off. Lights are off, that's the way we found it, but there is a switch just inside the door on the left"

Cooper thanks the guard for his time and asks whether there is a record of interviews conducted during the investigation, particularly of the cultists. Unless his companions have any objections he is ready to investigate the crime scene while Finn asks questions. Cooper makes a mental note to dig deeper into the cult once present business is finished.

OOC: Cooper works quickly and thoroughly, conscious of the fact that the crime scene decays every minute it is out of stasis. I assume Cooper is familiar with this technology (very cool btw) and adjusts his procedure accordingly to take maximum advantage.

"Thanks buddy. Are you guys ready? I have to admit that my curiosity is piqued."

Finn heads forward unless anyone suggests otherwise.

Cooper thanks the guard for his time and asks whether there is a record of interviews conducted during the investigation, particularly of the cultists. Unless his companions have any objections he is ready to investigate the crime scene while Finn asks questions. Cooper makes a mental note to dig deeper into the cult once present business is finished.

OOC: Cooper works quickly and thoroughly, conscious of the fact that the crime scene decays every minute it is out of stasis. I assume Cooper is familiar with this technology (very cool btw) and adjusts his procedure accordingly to take maximum advantage.
The guard confirms there were three interviews conducted with the three members of the cult next in seniority to the leader himself: Botan Papadakis.

OOC: Cooper would be familiar with it and indeed knows how to handle it. Inside coming now....

Last edited:
As the trio head in to the church they see the stasis field has contracted to a small hemisphere near the back. Most of the church consists of wooden pews and what seem like yoga mats strewn here or there. Painted onto to all four walls is a mural of a lake. The lake is featureless, just an expanse of water.

Down the back is an altar, simply a slab of some dark black wet looking stone. The stasis field surrounds the altar and a small mat in front of it. Lying before the altar on the mat is the body of a man in blue and orange robes. His face is pale and swollen with his eyes rolled back. Trailing out of his mouth and nostrils is what seems to be soil.

(As per OOC note) Cooper obtains hi-res pictures of the church and body in a few minutes with his scanner, adjusting for the stasis field's colour distortion for the body.

"Fuck. Fuck. Fuuuuuck."

OOC: My homage to The Wire.

"We're going to need a sample of that soil."

OOC: Not sure how I can do that, but I'd like to if I can. Also, I'd like to use my first aid skill to see if there are clear signs of a cause of death. I'm assuming suffocation but for all I know it could be internal bleeding, poison or whatever.

Cooper insulates himself against the stress and shock of the bizarre death by cracking a joke and immersing himself in the familiar routine of work. While Finn investigates the body, Cooper will police the area for evidence. When that is complete he will assist with the body.

OOC: Could I make a biology/chemistry check to identify what (if any) compounds are in the soil that might be toxic?

"Now how in Earth's name did he get soil up his nose like that?"

Heading around the building Cooper notices some drag marks near the pews on the right side of the altar. Like heavy machinery had been moved through

Last edited:
Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back