Movie Recommendation Thread

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Finished Polar. Pretty bloody movie, but a decent movie. Loved the fact that Matt Lucas, who was in Doctor Who, is the bad guy. He makes the film more fun with his character

Just got back from an afternoon showing of Captain Marvel. Quite enjoyed it, Brie Larson is tremendously likeable and charismatic, we get the pleasure of seeing Samuel Jackson on screen as an equal character. I love Annette Benning but she doesn't get much to do with her small role.

The director/writers did the fine dramas Full Nelson and Mississippi Grind and having properly talented directors at the helm with a good cast pays off.

It captures the sf/Cosmic superhero feel of the Starlin comics quite well. Also liked that they gave her a proper superhero costume with no attempt to make it look 'gritty and realistic.' The early 90s setting provides some nice little jokes although they OD with the 'hey, remember this song!' moments. Wish they had gone with a PJ Harvey track over No Doubt for the climatic fight scene too. '50 Ft Queenie' in a theatre would have really been something.

Last edited:
Just finished watching Batman and Bill, the documentary on Bill Finger and the fight to get him recognition as the co-creator of Batman. Really impressive story, which had a happy resolution. It's sad that it took so long for him to get the recognition he deserved from day one.

Captain Marvel…..pretty much on a par with every other Marvel movie. Appealing casting, some funny dialogue and in-jokes, lots of explosive action sequences.

Not sure why some 'critics' thought it would be worth campaigning against it before it was released - it's an entirely harmless movie with little politics, if any. The protagonist could have just as well be a strong male character, in terms of plotting, but she's a strong woman instead. That's it.

I'm not sure where it stands as my favourite supers movies, which would be topped off with things like Nolan's Batman series, Logan, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Thor: Ragnorok and Doctor Strange, but it's good fun nevertheless.

Not sure why some 'critics' thought it would be worth campaigning against it before it was released - it's an entirely harmless movie with little politics, if any. The protagonist could have just as well be a strong male character, in terms of plotting, but she's a strong woman instead. That's it.

The issue was a bunch of insecure manchildren took some things Brie Larson said out of character as an offense to their manchildhood, and thus began the Hissyfit that failed to stop the movie from doing well. Especially given that 61% of the audience for opening weekend were men

So after watching Submerged, an old Steven Segall flick (where they woefully under use Gary Daniels and Vinnie Jones!), I started watching Triple Frontier, the new Netflix original film starring Ben Affleck, Charlie Hunnam, Oscar Issac and Pedro Pascal are former Special Forces operatives who decided to take out a drug lord and steal the 75 million he has stashed at his house in the jungle (because he doesn't trust banks). Only about 1/4 way in so far, but I'm liking it

The issue was a bunch of insecure manchildren took some things Brie Larson said out of character as an offense to their manchildhood, and thus began the Hissyfit that failed to stop the movie from doing well. Especially given that 61% of the audience for opening weekend were men
Keep in mind, all the people complaining the loudest before it came out had to go and pay to see it on opening night. How else would they be able to post angry Youtube reviews of it the next day?

Keep in mind, all the people complaining the loudest before it came out had to go and pay to see it on opening night. How else would they be able to post angry Youtube reviews of it the next day?

Well there was a lot of reviews posted before the movie was even out (or seen). So they might not have all seen it before they posted their whiny rants

Captain Marvel…..pretty much on a par with every other Marvel movie. Appealing casting, some funny dialogue and in-jokes, lots of explosive action sequences.

I'm not sure where it stands as my favourite supers movies, which would be topped off with things like Nolan's Batman series, Logan, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Thor: Ragnorok and Doctor Strange, but it's good fun nevertheless.
If it had been a male character, there would have been no complaints.

Me, I thought it was ok. Not great, but I don't want my money back after watching it.

So after watching Submerged, an old Steven Segall flick (where they woefully under use Gary Daniels and Vinnie Jones!), I started watching Triple Frontier, the new Netflix original film starring Ben Affleck, Charlie Hunnam, Oscar Issac and Pedro Pascal are former Special Forces operatives who decided to take out a drug lord and steal the 75 million he has stashed at his house in the jungle (because he doesn't trust banks). Only about 1/4 way in so far, but I'm liking it

This film is by the director of Margin Call and A Most Violent Year so I’m looking forward to it.

I was completely unaware of the internet ‘controversy’ going in thankfully.

father-ted-careful-now.gif

This film is by the director of Margin Call and A Most Violent Year so I’m looking forward to it.

Kathryn Bigelow is also involved in the film, which is why it has some great heavy metal music in the sound track

Kathryn Bigelow is also involved in the film, which is why it has some great heavy metal music in the sound track

Creedence good. Affleck bad.

Last edited:
43 Days until Avengers: Endgame!

Also, an offshot of the popular Ip Man series, with Dave Bautista and Tony Jaa co-starring

There's a new movie adaption of the game DOOM. It looks horrible

The fact that it features Creedence on the soundtrack is about the best thing about it imo. I found it predictable
Creedence good. Affleck bad.

I don't set high expectations for most action films. For every John Wick, there are 10 - 20 films by Van Dam, Lundgren, Aitkens and Segall (and other low budget stars). I haven't found Affleck bad in this one yet, but like I said, I'm early into the film. Try watching Submerged, the Segall film I watched before this. Triple Frontier is like Star Wars compared to that one lol

Just watched this tonight and it is a nice modern riff on Treasure of Sierra Madre. Isaac is very good here, Affleck underplays perhaps too much. My inner film geek was pleased to see the director name-check that classic when discussing the film as well.

There's a new movie adaption of the game DOOM. It looks horrible

How was I not informed about this?!
At least it looks better than the previous Doom Movies...
Which isn't saying much when this:

and this:

are the only good parts.
I'm hoping they actually have Demons this time instead of replacing them with Aliens and Mutants like the 2005 movie and the books.

How was I not informed about this?!
At least it looks better than the previous Doom Movies...

I think in the comments section for the trailer I posted someone said they'd rather see that film than this one lol

Also, the company making the new game have totally distanced themselves from this film. Someone posted a screenshot from their Twitter where they made that clear. I found that quite amusing, as I don't like that film either

I enjoyed the orginal Doom movie, or at least right up till the ending. Rosamund Pike, Karl Urban and Dwayne Johnson acquit themselves well and it had a good pace and suspense. And then it suddenly, towards the very end, it switches to first person shooter mode, sort of like a Twitch feed. I am guessing someone thought that was very clever. It's not.

I enjoyed the original Doom Movie the same way I enjoy Mystery Science Theater 3000. Laughing at the poor quality and the Rock being in it.

Just watched this tonight and it is a nice modern riff on Treasure of Sierra Madre. Isaac is very good here, Affleck underplays perhaps too much. My inner film geek was pleased to see the director name-check that classic when discussing the film as well.

I finished it today. I liked it. It was better than a lot of other films I've seen lately. Not great, but I think it was good. After that, I watched Infinity War again. Might watch Ant Man & The Wasp again later

While still watching Ant Man & The Wasp, I took a few detours. Watched a SyFy original called CuCuy (about a Mexican boogyman akin to Krampus). It was ok, but the body count was freaking low (as in 1 actual death). Then I watched The Boy, which was a whacked out movie about a woman who goes to England, and gets a job taking care of an elderly couple's child. Except the child is a doll (or is he?). It's a slow burn film, and seems like psychological and/or supernatural horror at first, then turns it around into something else. I think I read a sequel is supposed to be in the works.

Rewatched Lifeforce, Tobe Hooper's gonzo yet oddly British take on Colin Wilson's The Space Vampires novel. My understanding is it has little to do with Wilson's book but its themes are certainly distinctly Wilsonian with its wacky stew of sf, horror, sex and pseudo-philosophy. Don't miss Patrick Stewart's particularly unhinged performance.

I'm almost done watching Extinction, another Netflix original sci-fi film. It's an ok film, but under uses Mike Colter (Luke Cage). Michael Pena is good in the lead role, and it turns out to be a slight twist on what is exactly going on. Nothing spectacular, but like Anon, not a waste of time either

And finished it. Decent ending. The reveal on the twist brought back memories of Space: Above and Beyond (or part of that show's history)

Last edited:
Finally got round to watching Blade Runner 2049. Issues about the date aside, I'm not actually sure what I just watched :blah:

Rewatched Lifeforce, Tobe Hooper's gonzo yet oddly British take on Colin Wilson's The Space Vampires novel. My understanding is it has little to do with Wilson's book but its themes are certainly distinctly Wilsonian with its wacky stew of sf, horror, sex and pseudo-philosophy. Don't miss Patrick Stewart's particularly unhinged performance.

Lifeforce is a favorite. I first saw it on cable back on one of the several movie channels of the late 80s. I had no idea what I was starting to watch or any previous idea what the movie was about. I think that's the best way to experience Lifeforce for the first time, because it's just such a WTF sort of movie.

I don't really think it's a good movie. It's definitely a Cannon film. But it is an immensely entertaining movie.

The protagonist could have just as well be a strong male character, in terms of plotting, but she's a strong woman instead. That's it.

I haven't followed any of the controversies, but I assume the issue was that Captain Marvel was a strong black woman character in the comics before getting replaced with a blonde.

I haven't followed any of the controversies, but I assume the issue was that Captain Marvel was a strong black woman character in the comics before getting replaced with a blonde.

Monica had stopped using the name before that (she was going by Spectrum when Carol took the name, iirc). The controversy is sadly not related to the movie itself, but comments Brie Larson made that were taken way out of context by a certain group of male nerds. Which still didn't stop at least 61% of the initial audience for the film being male.

Since I got sick this morning, I've been watching Into the Spiderverse while I wait for my stomach to stop bothering me. I'm enjoying it so far, but haven't gotten to the scene posted up thread

Monica had stopped using the name before that (she was going by Spectrum when Carol took the name, iirc). The controversy is sadly not related to the movie itself, but comments Brie Larson made that were taken way out of context by a certain group of male nerds. Which still didn't stop at least 61% of the initial audience for the film being male.

Ah, so the internet as usual.

Ah, so the internet as usual.

Pretty much. Their whole campaign to get people to not see the movie (and just see Shazam! instead) failed, especially after Zachary Levi told them to knock it off, and that people should see both movies. I knew he was a class act all ready, but that just solidified my desire to see Shazam!

I recall genuinely enjoying SPIDER-MAN 2099 back in the 90s; I do hope it plays a serious role in the next movie.

I'm assuming that was setting up the storyline from the comics where the guy was trying to wipe out every Spiderman in the Multiverse? I only know what I read online about it, as I had stopped reading Marvel regularly long before then

I only read a few of the 2099 comics back then, but I did like it (and I got a digital trade of the early stories on Comixology when they did a sale when the movie was coming out).

Peter Davids original run on Spidey 2099 I enjoyed immensely. Also liked how Doom 2099 played out, getting to see what would happen if Vic accomplished his goal and took over the world

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back