Mutant Crawl Classics

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Ulairi

Pompous Windbag
Reaction score
My Kickstarter package just arrived. Anybody else get theirs? Like all of the Goodman Games MCC/DCC products the art is fantastic and I love me my black and white interiors. I’ve only played in a handful of DCC games and funnily enough the referee was running DCC as a sci-fi/post apocalypse game so MCC fit right in. I actually like that DCC is so module focus because as I’m older it makes it easier for me and my friends to do shorter campaigns around the module. We have loved our long running Palladium Fantasy and other campaigns but those are getting harder to do as we age.

Every summer we do our own local con at Lake Tahoe at my cabin where we spend 4 days and nights gaming with no kids or wives and we love it.

My Kickstarter package just arrived. Anybody else get theirs?
Yup, got mine about two weeks back along with Into The Borderlands. I'd already skimmed through the PDFs, so I haven't been in a rush to consume the rules yet.

I'm a big DCC fan but I'm still a bit unsold on MCC. To me, it's too much of a pure hybrid of DCC and Gamma World. I feel like, as such, it would have worked a lot better as a setting. I don't know if it brings enough to the table to be worth branding as its own game. The adventures, though, are more interesting to me than the rules.

I just got my stuff the other day. I confess, I've spent almost no time reading the PDF since it was released months ago, and I've only thumbed through the book. As usual for Goodman: Top-notch production values, bullet-proof hardcover, some great Poag, Kovacs, and Nicholson art.

I remember thinking at the time I backed it, that I'd like to run Anomalous Subsurface Environment and maybe this would be the rule-set for it? We'll see.

I remember thinking at the time I backed it, that I'd like to run Anomolous Subsurface Environment and maybe this would be the rule-set for it? We'll see.
That's not a bad idea. One thing I always wondered about in ASE was the role of traditional magic-users. The "wizards" of that setting are something entirely different, so it's unclear where the traditional magical arts come in to play.

I am very interested to hear how MCC does in actual play. I almost backed it, but I've houseruled GW so much that I didn't see where MCC would benefit me. But the art looks really fun.

Cabin gaming weekends rock. We did ours in Big Bear right when the first snows hit before the holiday rush. Great memories.

That's not a bad idea. One thing I always wondered about in ASE was the role of traditional magic-users. The "wizards" of that setting are something entirely different, so it's unclear where the traditional magical arts come in to play.
To my thinking, "magic" in ASE is all just super-science, so the wetware concept and "AIs in the sky" in MCC seems to map on to it a little smoother than trying to shoehorn B/X D&D-isms into a post-apocalyptic setting like ASE. I'll have to dig into the book more thoroughly now that I have it in hand (and I find it much easier to digest a new game when it's in physical form vs. PDF).

My Kickstarter package just arrived. Anybody else get theirs? Like all of the Goodman Games MCC/DCC products the art is fantastic and I love me my black and white interiors. I’ve only played in a handful of DCC games and funnily enough the referee was running DCC as a sci-fi/post apocalypse game so MCC fit right in. I actually like that DCC is so module focus because as I’m older it makes it easier for me and my friends to do shorter campaigns around the module. We have loved our long running Palladium Fantasy and other campaigns but those are getting harder to do as we age.

Every summer we do our own local con at Lake Tahoe at my cabin where we spend 4 days and nights gaming with no kids or wives and we love it.
Whoah. That's a bit creepy because my friends do the same thing in the same place. I'm trying to plan my trip down there mid July.

I just got my stuff the other day. I confess, I've spent almost no time reading the PDF since it was released months ago, and I've only thumbed through the book. As usual for Goodman: Top-notch production values, bullet-proof hardcover, some great Poag, Kovacs, and Nicholson art.

I remember thinking at the time I backed it, that I'd like to run Anomalous Subsurface Environment and maybe this would be the rule-set for it? We'll see.

When I first picked up ASE I thought it’d go great with DCC, but someconversion would be necessary. Then MCC was announced and I thought it might be an even better fit, but I have yet to read it.

Now I’m looking at Barbarian Conquerors of Kanahu, a science fantasy setting and supplement for ACKS, which offers some interesting tools for an ASE game. But I’m still curious about MCC.

Same here.

Whoah. That's a bit creepy because my friends do the same thing in the same place. I'm trying to plan my trip down there mid July.

Sounds like a real con is about to be born!

And as a curious aside, is it just me or a lot of posters here are from California, especially Bay Area?

I've downloaded my backers copies of MCC long ago. Do I have to go back for new copies:smile:?
And, despite that, I'm not persuaded I'd ever use it. Why, when I've got Atomic Highway? Last I checked, no classes even had a Deed Die:grin:!

And as a curious aside, is it just me or a lot of posters here are from California, especially Bay Area?
All I know is that I'm not from California and have never visited the continent it's found on:wink:.

Yup, got mine about two weeks back along with Into The Borderlands. I'd already skimmed through the PDFs, so I haven't been in a rush to consume the rules yet.

I'm a big DCC fan but I'm still a bit unsold on MCC. To me, it's too much of a pure hybrid of DCC and Gamma World. I feel like, as such, it would have worked a lot better as a setting. I don't know if it brings enough to the table to be worth branding as its own game. The adventures, though, are more interesting to me than the rules.
It seemed a weird direction to me as well, as there was already the Crawling Under a Broken Moon zine which was carving out the same area.

As for the CUaBM stuff, I actually won a complete collection of the zines and went on to back the Umerican Survival Guide, but have found it impossible to get into. It's just too whimsical for my taste. Mailbox robots and McDonald's Patrons and such. Doesn't do anything for me.
It's true, the devil is in the details. Some of that stuff can be a little "zany."

I was thinking of running an MCC/DCC hybrid where you run it as straight fantasy with the scientific roots just under the surface. I would probably drop the mutants but keep the manimals and plantients as exotic "fantasy" races, for instance. Things would be just a bit more overgrown, making the signs of prior civilization a bit more scarce than you generally find in post-apocalyptic stuff. As a GM, it would be fun to see how long it would take players to figure this stuff out.

That's funny, I kind of had the opposite idea, to run MCC as a fantasy post-apocalypse. Make it appear sci-fi post apoc but with all these fantasy roots under the surface. Take a high fantasy setting like Forgotten Realms and imagine what it would look like in 10,000 years of wizard wars and planar invasions.
That sounds a lot more fun that Forgotten Realms.

Not from California or the Bay Area. I'm up in Seattle. I have friends in Sacramento who arrange the weekend so I fly/drive down.

Not from California or the Bay Area. I'm up in Seattle. I have friends in Sacramento who arrange the weekend so I fly/drive down.

Nobody’s perfect. Rocklin is wheee I’m from

I ran the Assault on the Sky High Tower about two weeks after the PDF dropped. It was super fun in play.

DCC feels too much like survival horror to me, while MCC feels...fun

I ran the Assault on the Sky High Tower about two weeks after the PDF dropped. It was super fun in play.

DCC feels too much like survival horror to me, while MCC feels...fun
Heh...the DCC adventure I just ran for Baulderstone Baulderstone and Simlasa Simlasa and others was pretty brutal in the resolution. Two of four PCs survived, none-the-richer, each missing an arm. In a boat in the middle of the ocean without any nautical skills.

But I swear it was fun...I had a blast!

MCC adventures do look pretty wild.

I like DCC and while I am not familiar with Gamma World, I will definitely give MCC a chance.

Our DCC group ran Under the Crawling Moon adventures before we ever got to 'straight' DCC. Plenty-O-Fun, and it did bring back memories of Gamma World... and I'm pretty sure our GM has since dropped some MCC elements on us... one adventure for sure had a lot of weird technology and mutants... but I've yet to get a clear look at MCC to know what its charms/warts are.

Heh...the DCC adventure I just ran for Baulderstone Baulderstone and Simlasa Simlasa and others was pretty brutal in the resolution. Two of four PCs survived, none-the-richer, each missing an arm. In a boat in the middle of the ocean without any nautical skills.
If we had gone another session, I expect it would have turned into the Stephen King story "Survivor Type".

Heh! For some reason that just really tickles me. Makes me think back to being a kid back in the 1970s with all the glow in the dark posters, stickers etc. I don't need another copy of MCC Rpg, but I might snag that just for that reason. lol

Yeah I'm mighty tempted and I don't have a physical copy of MCC or DCC!

Heh! For some reason that just really tickles me. Makes me think back to being a kid back in the 1970s with all the glow in the dark posters, stickers etc. I don't need another copy of MCC Rpg, but I might snag that just for that reason. lol
I remember getting a frisbee as a present at a birthday party as a kid. I already had a frisbee, so I didn't pay enough attention to it to notice it said it was glow in the dark. I woke at some point in the night and the spectral glowing orb in my room scared the shit out of me.

I remember getting a frisbee as a present at a birthday party as a kid. I already had a frisbee, so I didn't pay enough attention to it to notice it said it was glow in the dark. I woke at some point in the night and the spectral glowing orb in my room scared the shit out of me.
Did you poke a hole in the waterbed?

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back