My game is live now: VI·VIII·X KUP RPG!

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Hi Moracai!
I haven't read any of your pdf or blogposts yet as I find this idea somewhat alien in RPGs, but I have a question based on what I've read here.
Never mind, I won't be offended!
For example, if a character is carrying a lot of equipment, is quite athletic, is being chased by orcs, and has to jump over lava to avoid certain death at the hands of those orcs. What if the player asks you, the GM, how does my character feel about his chances of not getting killed?
Well, this is a matter of mastering, not really a strict game mechanic... let me say that I plan to write about "how to run a KUP game" in the next future (not too next however...) and in these posts I will fill this gap so that you will likely find an answer (maybe you won't be satisfied, but at least I tried!).
Secondly, the main point, is that in the deep concept of the KUP model, such a question should never be addressed: the player should know that he has to take into account in his decision even the unknonw piece of info. Asking a raw indication to the master would mean that the player is asking for a help... something like: "well, I should have rolled 16 to hit the target but my roll is 15... can you pls help me and add 1 to my result?"
Even if this is a limited answer, I hope you get the overall KUP approach now...
Could you tell, 'Not so great', 'pretty good', 'it's going to be most likely fine', 'abysmal', or perhaps 'fifty-fifty'. Let's say you answer 'Not so great' in this instance. Now, what if the player asks how their PCs chances would be if he throws all the heavy stuff away? Will you answer 'pretty good'? Or would you just answer, 'Dunno, I'll just roll for it lol'?
Well, your example is so straightforward that no question should be done: the answer seems obvious... anyway I think I understand your doubt: this is something that heavily depends on who is the master and who is the player... that it is not a pure application of a rule. The reply should be as above, however I can understand that under certain circumstances, the player has the right to ask (and the master is not bound to reply)
I know that 99% of the people I play with in multiple groups would wonder why is the GM being so obtuse? What does he think we get out of this? Is all of this secrecy really worth it? Why am I playing Ten Questions, and why did it take me so long to get a fifty-fifty answer? Why oh why I can't roll my precious dice I bought 3 decades ago? :tongue:
To be very honest, my first comment is like the previous one: all depends on who is the master and the players... re to your last (rhetorical) question, pls let me say that the player is going to roll his dice like in any other game! This game doesn't prevent this satisfaction!
(sorry I miss the Ten Questions game, therefore I do not comment that part)

Thanks and ciaoo

I think a lot depends on something that wasn't specified in neither the post nor the reply: how wide, exactly, is the lava stream you must jump over?
If it's 20 cm, I'd set it at around 100% in the above situation. With 2 meters, it might be a bit different:thumbsup:!

To be brutally honest, go and find out another way of tickling your fancy.

I am sympathetic in a slight way, but re-inventing the wheel is so nineties.

To be brutally honest, go and find out another way of tickling your fancy.

I am sympathetic in a slight way, but re-inventing the wheel is so nineties.
...come on, man:shade:!

If I want to know what are my chances of clearing a lava drop, I ask my GM. I he says: dunno, lol, I stop playing.

If I want to know what are my chances of clearing a lava drop, I ask my GM. I he says: dunno, lol, I stop playing.
"Your character can't quite tell, there's too many factors involved" is fine in my book.
Sometimes people can't tell. I mean, I know roughly how far I can jump, but how far can I jump being heavily laden, after exerting myself (because if I'm not being chased or something, I'd just go around)? That's much less clear than I'd like it to be:grin:!

Now, similarly, there are enough cases where you can tell, probably more than aia aia would like. But that's a separate matter and I told him so already:smile:.

And at the end of the night...if it tickles his fancy to play that way and other people like playing with him, where's the need to be rude? He's published one file on DTRPG, which might reach...dozens and dozens of people:wink:?
Yeah, I'm not seeing why you needed that reaction, man:thumbsup:.

I didn't want to be rude. Sorry if it came out that way...

Howdy all, I am nearly close to complete the quickstart book and I am back here to kindly ask you if there is any volunteer to proofread it!
The job is to review approx 25 pages (letter) of text...

The 'reward' is like for the previous job, a complimentary copy (hardback printed edition), your name in the credits of the book and within the VI∙VIII∙X KUP RPG friends page and my gratitude (pls consider my zero budget/zero revenues project)!

In case you want to jump in, pls drop me a PM or reach me at https://viviiix.substack.com/

Thanks and ciaooo

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back