Mod+ Mythic Polynesia

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I’m quite able to discuss it without mentioning GamerGate. It’s called staying on topic, which I understand is not a strong suite of this forum, and in fact we have tangents written into the policies. Figure it out, you already got the blue text.

There are two other site who would love to rehash it. They practically live for it. Go to one and get banned for it or the other and get high fives just depending on how you discuss it. Not here. I feel 99% came here pretty much to stop listening to everyone fight.

That's fair, and I can appreciate not wanting to either get into a fight and be banned (if I disagree with the prevailing opinion) or into a circlejerk (if I agree with the prevailing opinion) depending on the site. But...

I don't get the sense this is actually a place DTRPG wants to get into the position of being an arbitrator on.

Is something I don't think is correct. Because they have put themselves in the position of being arbitrators.

So what's the position? Let you say something that is wrong, because contradicting you requires backing it up, and backing it up violates the no politics rule?

Contradict you without backing it up, and when challenged say that to back it up violates the no politics rule?

Both options are shitty. For someone who doesn't know the history, with option one they wouldn't realize you were wrong. And with option two my response would be incredibly frustrating to anyone else reading it, and of course you as well.

If we're speculating on what is going on with the discrepancy between availability of MP on DTRPG vs on TDM, isn't what DTRPG has done in the past relevant information? And if there is speculation on whether TDM made the decision to pull MP from DTRPG or if DTRPG made that decision unilaterally, doesn't it mean that people care one way or the other?

Mythic Babylon is not currently up on DriveThru either from what I can tell.

This makes me think that whatever is going on isn't specifically related to Mythic Polynesia.

[mod]
This is an update.

After discussion backstage, we've come to the following solution.

It's fine to mention that Gamergate: The Card Game was banned from Drivethru, because that's a statement of fact. That's not an invitation to discuss Gamergate in general.

As much as possible, please stick to stuff like that you can actually back up factually and keep the speculation to a minimum possible.[/mod]

Then maybe MP is still there too, it's just DriveThru's search function that is fuckered, because it literally would not pull up Mythic Babylon for me, or even show up when I searched through every Mythras product and every The Design Mechanism product.
I see the problem. It's in the mirror.... :hehe:

Then maybe MP is still there too, it's just DriveThru's search function that is fuckered, because it literally would not pull up Mythic Babylon for me, or even show up when I searched through every Mythras product and every The Design Mechanism product.
It’s not. Clicking the link to the product in your inventory will take you to an empty product page.

MP isn't on there; I did a backwards search via reviews.
If we're speculating on what is going on with the discrepancy between availability of MP on DTRPG vs on TDM, isn't what DTRPG has done in the past relevant information? And if there is speculation on whether TDM made the decision to pull MP from DTRPG or if DTRPG made that decision unilaterally, doesn't it mean that people care one way or the other?
To the best of my knowledge, the following products have been previously pulled from Drivethru.

Gamergate: The Card Game.

Tournament of Rapists.

Any future titles involving Zak Smith. (Previous titles are unaffected).

Anything by Dave Johnson Games.

So, as far as I know, it's a pretty short list and they're always extreme examples. Also, each has come with a statement from Drivethru.

Obviously, not being on the Drivethru staff, I can't absolutely say they didn't pull MP.

I can say that doing so a) without a statement and b) when there's actually way more controversial stuff up on Drivethru would be a strong break from previous practice. Which makes me think it's pretty unlikely.

Note that publishers can delist with the click of a button. I own several products delisted on Drivethru now.

Also, and I'd get banned on TBP for moral equivalancy and disrespecting cancel culture, but Dave Johnson's career as a striker for Liverpool FC and England shouldn't be stained by his later neo-nazi RPG efforts.

(I'd never heard of the other Dave Johnson and now that I have I can understand why he's banned from DTRPG).

Also, and I'd get banned on TBP for moral equivalancy and disrespecting cancel culture, but Dave Johnson's career as a striker for Liverpool FC and England shouldn't be stained by his later neo-nazi RPG efforts.

(I'd never heard of the other Dave Johnson and now that I have I can understand why he's banned from DTRPG).
Imagine being poor Ian 'H from Steps' Watkins.

I still don't know who Dave Johnson is and now have even less of a desire to know.

Japan and China are not above this. There was a big hullabaloo about a game set in ancient China sometime back. The original (non Chinese) creator was replaced for a proposed 2E after the usual bunch started in on the publisher. I believe the whole project was shelved soon after, but don't recall all the particulars.

I think the outrage mob wins both ways. If somebody dares to enter this risk fraught territory, they get fresh meat. If companies play it safe, they still have their fall back "white wash" position.
I stand corrected...:shade:
It was Daniel Fox shitcanning Tetsubo because the author was an Englishman.
Well, Daniel Fox is very much part of the same online mob, so I fail to be surprised.

Games about Ancient China should only ever be written by Ancient Chinese.
Indeed. If they're still alive, obviously they have gotten this whole Cultivation business right, so there would be no misinformation:grin:!

Of course, they should also present birth certificates or at least a verified Twitter account as proof as to their dates of birth...:devil:

Indeed. If they're still alive, obviously they have gotten this whole Cultivation business right, so there would be no misinformation:grin:!

Of course, they should also present birth certificates or at least a verified Twitter account as proof as to their dates of birth...:devil:
For my silk road game I used a medium to contact Li Feng, a merchant in the Western Market in Tang Dynasty Chang'an.

It was his input that helped me get a lot of details right. For example he explained to me that Buddhism was a foreign religion recently brought to China from Barbarians in India and that it was completely foreign to Chinese tradition and therefore would never catch on.

He was also insistent that I include a lot more Persian dancing girls in the game.

Last edited:
MP isn't on there; I did a backwards search via reviews.

To the best of my knowledge, the following products have been previously pulled from Drivethru.

Gamergate: The Card Game.

Tournament of Rapists.

Any future titles involving Zak Smith. (Previous titles are unaffected).

Anything by Dave Johnson Games.

So, as far as I know, it's a pretty short list and they're always extreme examples. Also, each has come with a statement from Drivethru.

Obviously, not being on the Drivethru staff, I can't absolutely say they didn't pull MP.

I can say that doing so a) without a statement and b) when there's actually way more controversial stuff up on Drivethru would be a strong break from previous practice. Which makes me think it's pretty unlikely.

Thank you, DTRPG banning games frequently comes up like they have some strict 1950s morality code they are enforcing. Being a bit of a deviant, my DTRPG library and wish list offers good evidence that this is not the case, so it is nice to see an actual listing of what is beyond the pale for them. For a shop with thousands (10's of thousands?) of products that is a short list.

DTRPG has an 18 and over "mature" filter in place, which adds to the proof they have a pretty broad level of acceptance.

For my silk road game I used a medium to contact Li Feng, a merchant in the Western Market in Tang Dynasty Chang'an.

It was his input that helped me get a lot of details right. For example he explained to me that Buddhism was a foreign religion recently brought to China from Barbarians in India and that it was completely foreign to Chinese tradition and therefore would never catch on.

He was also insistent that I include a lot more Persian dancing girls in the game.
See? His consultancy (payable in grave money, I suspect) only improved the game:thumbsup:!

It's not possible to talk about DTRPG caving to pressure from certain camps to remove products from the store when they have done so in the past without mentioning GamerGate. Otherwise we're left with just talking about how they do it and when people ask for examples to say "Sorry, you'll have to go to Jennifer Aniston's forum for the answer."

Is that what we're supposed to do?
No one even knows what happened, so bringing up that shitshow just to discuss thoughts and suppositions seems pretty wrongheaded to me.

No one even knows what happened, so bringing up that shitshow just to discuss thoughts and suppositions seems pretty wrongheaded to me.
Nobody knows what happened in relation to MP, but if you're going to speculate at all (which Bunch was doing), past actions by DTRPG are informative, and we do know exactly what happened with GamerGate: The Card Game.

Yes, we do, mainly because DTRPG made a very public statement, as they have in all subsequent cases where they've decided not to carry a product or product(s) of certain authors. Since there is no such statement, it would be illogical to assume this was a choice on DTRPG's part rather than simply TDM themselves removing it from sale on the website.

It's worth noting that there are products that have been pulled for ulreated reasons, generally copyright stuff. (Squadron was pulled because GW are cunts. I vaguely remember something similar with WoTC).

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back