Mythras: Breifne

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
5,538
Reaction score
10,611
OOC:
A AsenRG , Stan Stan , Scuba Steve Scuba Steve , S Southpaw
Basic context is you've been invited to the King's court for the Summer feast. Stan Stan is there to great you with the king's brother

It's a cold May evening as Lughaidh and Cormag stand on the shores of Upper Lake watching a currach boat inch slowly toward them. The pair make quite a contrast. Cormag armed to the teeth with bow, javelin, dagger and sword. Barefooted he lets his feet soak in the marshy soil surrounding the lake, seemingly immune to cold. Lughaidh stands further back in a heavy cloak clutching a finely crafted harp. Images of serpents and deer run along the side of the harp, the strings glinting in the evening sun.

As the boat reaches the shore they hear a rustling as a war-mare emerges from the forest behind them. Riding atop the horse is a well dressed noble, a recently sharpened long axe hanging from the horse's side. The noble Brian comes to a stop beside them as his mare laps at the lake.

The boat has three occupants. The king's brother, some other finally dressed royal in a white robe and a young boy of about twelve in a yellow shirt and skirt. The boat comes to a stop just beside Cormag.

The king's brother speaks.

"Cormag, Brian glad to see you've all accepted the invitation. It'll be one incredible feast tonight lads, but I don't want to spoil the menu for you. Brian you can leave the mare here, the young fella will mind it" And with that the boy hops out.

"This well dressed scholar is the king's and my own cousin" he says patting him on the shoulder "a fine physician! Himself and Myself are the welcoming committee tonight.

Ah! And the harpist. My brother has paid well for you sir. They say you've a voice that would make a flower bloom. Well come on. Hop in and let's go. No point freezing to death out here when there's a warm fire waiting"

63f4a703d1cc55f8c0a9bb107be13271.jpg
 

Southpaw

Active Member
Joined
Mar 27, 2019
Messages
26
Reaction score
65
Lughaidh smiles broadly and bows.

In a richer baritone than one might expect from one with such a slight build, he replies, "You are too kind, Milord. It is a rare treat to be invited to the King's Court and I aim to please. I have a brand new song to share this evening - a song of fellowship and good cheer for to celebrate the season."

He cradles the harp in his cloak and once everyone else has boarded he will follow. Once on the boat he asks, "I don't suppose anyone would have a flask of uisce beatha? It would be just the thing to drive off the cold on this jaunt!"
 
Last edited:

Scuba Steve

Legendary Member
Joined
Feb 25, 2020
Messages
141
Reaction score
262
Making reverence to the noble Brian, Cormag waits for him get on board the boat first before he does so. Then answering the King's brother, he states while climbing aboard, "It is I who should be thanking you for the invite. The summer feast is the greatest of all the feasts, except of course if you exclude the harvest festival, or even the midwinter feast." Adding a hearty laugh to his last few words.

Now, leaning on his javelin, he replies to the bard, "I have a small dram." He places his hand down to a flask at his waist. He unties the thong attaching it to his belt and continues, "There's not much left, but what I have I'm willing to share."
 

Stan

Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2018
Messages
1,338
Reaction score
2,362
The physician nods greeting to the guests. "Welcome. I assure you there will be more libations once we get back."
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
7,704
Reaction score
7,688
"It was an honour to be invited by the king!", Brian 'Pangur Fithise' Mág Tighearnán answered casually, looking at the man. "Fine, I won't be too curious...guess we'll see the menu on the feast, eh?"

Brian dismounted and threw the reins to the boy. Truth be told, he had always liked boats more, though the mare had recently acquired a special place in his heart...
"Take good care of An Láir Talamh-Chumscaithe, lad", he said, smiling before climbing in the boat. "She's usually good-natured...but remember she's a woman, and thus her mood can change like summer storm!"

With a hearty laugh he climbed in the boat.
"I'll take the assurances", he nodded at the physician. "In fact, I kinda expect that to be true. The winter was a slow and boring one!"
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
5,538
Reaction score
10,611
The king's brother stands up in the boat. A ruddy man with a lean body and a thick black beard, he wears a red shirt open to the navel, a yellow skirt and is barefooted. A sword hangs from his belt and a Mjölnir hammer amulet hangs from his neck.

"Bonaventure Mág Samhradháin at your service" he says with a bow.

"You are too kind, Milord. It is a rare treat to be invited to the King's Court and I aim to please. I have a brand new song to share this evening - a song of fellowship and good cheer for to celebrate the season."
"Ah wonderful! A composer as well! My brother is probably expecting the standard fare, so an utterly new song will be something the guests will take back with them"

The physician nods greeting to the guests. "Welcome. I assure you there will be more libations once we get back."
"So polite. No wonder brother sent you out here with me"

"She's usually good-natured...but remember she's a woman, and thus her mood can change like summer storm!"
The young lad struggles with the reins as Brian gets aboard.

Bonaventure looks excited to see you

"She's some...*pant*...horse alright...fierce strength...and even fiercer stature...not sure if I'll ride her my lord, a walk might be all I'll manage" he slowly guides her off for a jaunt around the lake.

"Well Brian..." Bonaventure begins after slapping Brian on the back "...we've a few games in store over on the island. I don't have the strength to compete you with you physically anymore, my sons will see to that. But how about a board game or two. I'll beat you soundly there" he says with a hearty smile.

It is I who should be thanking you for the invite. The summer feast is the greatest of all the feasts, except of course if you exclude the harvest festival, or even the midwinter feast
"Yes, yes. We had a good midwinter feast last year. Haven't seen you since then. In fact how's the farm doing Cormag? She was a rough enough winter"

As the boat pulls off toward the island the wind picks up a bit.

"Can't wait to get inside" Bonaventure says looking at the sky.
 

Scuba Steve

Legendary Member
Joined
Feb 25, 2020
Messages
141
Reaction score
262
Yes, yes. We had a good midwinter feast last year. Haven't seen you since then. In fact how's the farm doing Cormag? She was a rough enough winter"

As the boat pulls off toward the island the wind picks up a bit.

"Well enough, thanks for asking," Cormag smiles, and continues "We had a good planting season, lots of seed saved up for it. If all goes well for the rest of the summer, I think we'll have a bountiful harvest. But I don't want to tempt fate by speaking too soon." He finishes with a subtle sign of the cross.
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
5,538
Reaction score
10,611
"Well enough, thanks for asking," Cormag smiles, and continues "We had a good planting season, lots of seed saved up for it. If all goes well for the rest of the summer, I think we'll have a bountiful harvest. But I don't want to tempt fate by speaking too soon." He finishes with a subtle sign of the cross.
"Good lad. The faith is important. If only everybody recognised that" Bonaventure says finishing with a grimace.
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
5,538
Reaction score
10,611
OOC: I'll take that as nobody has anything to say on the boat.

The group's boat lands ashore on the island where some jugglers are tossing cloth torches into the air in a performance meant to greet arrivals.

Past them there is some sort of mock sword play tournament playing out in the garden in front of the castle.

From out the main doors of the castle comes the voice of a female singer accompanied by light drums. The revelry inside dies down a bit as she sings.

"Brother is a bit soft on the sadder songs" Bonaventure says stepping out. He then turns to Lughaidh.

"You can get yourself set up inside lad, it'll probably be a while until you're called"

Turning to the group in general:
"Anybody who wants can try some of the combat games we have here. If you're of a more intellectual sort you can join me for a board game out the back. If neither appeal there's the drink and food inside"

OOC: Kind of music being sung by the woman
 

Stan

Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2018
Messages
1,338
Reaction score
2,362
Illan looks at the guests for reactions, hoping they're comfortable. After Bonaventure speaks, Illan adds, "Cousin there's no need for you to take on the whole hosting burden. I am headed inside to 'inspect' all of the food if anyone wants to accompany me. Good harpist, I can show you where to go. Myself and a few others play a little but it will great to have someone with real talent here."
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
5,538
Reaction score
10,611
Illan looks at the guests for reactions, hoping they're comfortable. After Bonaventure speaks, Illan adds, "Cousin there's no need for you to take on the whole hosting burden. I am headed inside to 'inspect' all of the food if anyone wants to accompany me. Good harpist, I can show you where to go. Myself and a few others play a little but it will great to have someone with real talent here."
Illan heads inside as the woman's singing dies down to see about eight nobles gathered around a long table. Four on each side. The king sits on the side away from the door and nods at Illan as he enters. The singer herself steps down off the table and sits on a stool next to the nobles.

The commoners lie around on mats on the floor talking or playing games of chance. Behind the nobles' table are seperate doors to two kitchens, one for the bread and one for the meat. Two serving boys run in and out giving everybody their share of sweat bread and pork. A set of stairs lie to the right from which Illan can hear shouting and boasting from the floor above.

The king's head wife taps Illan on the shoulder.

SetWidth440-Simms-Gaelic-Ulster.jpg

"Illan dear some moron is terrifying the guests upstairs. If you get a chance do you think you could drop some sleeping brew in his drink to shut him up"
 

Scuba Steve

Legendary Member
Joined
Feb 25, 2020
Messages
141
Reaction score
262
Turning to the group in general:
"Anybody who wants can try some of the combat games we have here. If you're of a more intellectual sort you can join me for a board game out the back. If neither appeal there's the drink and food inside"

Cormag replies, more for himself than anyone else "Ah, why not?" and heads over to the group engaging in their swordplay tournament and says, "I don't suppose you have room for one more challenger? I'd like to get in on this."
 

Stan

Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2018
Messages
1,338
Reaction score
2,362
Illan considers for a moment. "Yes, I can do that. I will just have to run to my room and get the draught."
To the nearby guests, Illan bows his head slightly, "Duty calls."

Illan heads to his room, retrieves a sleep potion, and heads upstairs.
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
5,538
Reaction score
10,611
Illan considers for a moment. "Yes, I can do that. I will just have to run to my room and get the draught."
To the nearby guests, Illan bows his head slightly, "Duty calls."

Illan heads to his room, retrieves a sleep potion, and heads upstairs.
Upstairs is a fairly bare chamber. A couple of chairs around a massive roaring fire. There's no roof as the castle opens to the sky above. There are too few chairs for most guests who lean on the walls or sit in the window alcoves.

A man stands ranting at some guests in the window alcove closest to the fire.

"I'm telling you. I know, I seen it when I was a lad. First the rock vanishes then the come. That's no normal wind...." he says gesticulating madly.
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
5,538
Reaction score
10,611
Cormag replies, more for himself than anyone else "Ah, why not?" and heads over to the group engaging in their swordplay tournament and says, "I don't suppose you have room for one more challenger? I'd like to get in on this."
Another Kern farmer-warrior dressed almost exactly like Cormag himself spins around.

"Certainly room for one more. You and myself would be a bit too much like a man fighting his shadow" he says making the other seven present laugh. "How about you give Diarmuid here a try or if you're feeling really brave Cuthbert the Angle. Nothing lethal though"

He gestures to the two men. Diarmuid sports long jet black hair and carries a single long spear and wears only a thin piece of cloth about his groin. Cuthbert the Angle is blond and carries a sword and wears leather armour with a yellow and black pattern.
 

Southpaw

Active Member
Joined
Mar 27, 2019
Messages
26
Reaction score
65
Lughaidh follows Illan inside, looking forward to the prospect of having a group of like-minded souls to jam with. He is somewhat disappointed to see his new friend sent off on an errand but he makes the best of it. Looking the room over he spies the other musicians and makes his way over to join them.

To the woman who sang so masterfully he says, "That was lovely, dear lady! I am Lughaidh and as you see I carry a harp. I wonder if when I come to sing you would care to join? The refrain is easy enough and perhaps with your aid we can have the whole room join in? I trust you know Greensleeves? Same harmony but I've taken many liberties with it."


OOC - I'm not sure what time period we're specifically using but Greensleeves was first written down in the late 1500's but was undoubtedly in circulation for many years before that. It became something like the 12-bar blues if it's era. If you wanted to jam out with others you'd pick a key and go!
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
5,538
Reaction score
10,611
Lughaidh follows Illan inside, looking forward to the prospect of having a group of like-minded souls to jam with. He is somewhat disappointed to see his new friend sent off on an errand but he makes the best of it. Looking the room over he spies the other musicians and makes his way over to join them.

To the woman who sang so masterfully he says, "That was lovely, dear lady! I am Lughaidh and as you see I carry a harp. I wonder if when I come to sing you would care to join? The refrain is easy enough and perhaps with your aid we can have the whole room join in? I trust you know Greensleeves? Same harmony but I've taken many liberties with it."


OOC - I'm not sure what time period we're specifically using but Greensleeves was first written down in the late 1500's but was undoubtedly in circulation for many years before that. It became something like the 12-bar blues if it's era. If you wanted to jam out with others you'd pick a key and go!
OOC: I was reading that the tune itself probably goes way back to beyond the 13th century. Pretty cool

The woman wears a simple brown dress with a white undershirt and is barefooted like most of the commoners here. Her hair is a scruffy mess that dangles over her eyes.
"For a well known tune like that I think I can keep up. Sounds like good fun? I think I could convince the king into having a go at it right now if you want"
 

Southpaw

Active Member
Joined
Mar 27, 2019
Messages
26
Reaction score
65
Lughaidh smiles broadly at the woman, "Before you go anywhere I must beg: tell me your name and the names of your comrades so that I may in the years to come properly credit you when I brag of our glory this evening!"

He pulls out his harp key and begins to get his harp into tune. She has been his boon companion for only a handful of years and he is still learning her preferences - but he knows well that she dislikes the cold and wet. That one low F keeps slipping at the worst times and is undoubtedly far flat just now. As the task is largely one of sound and touch he is able to peer around the room looking for a sign of his new friend Illan with the intent of waving him over to join in.
 

Stan

Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2018
Messages
1,338
Reaction score
2,362
Illan opts to try for to go without drugging first and see how it goes. He stands next to the ranter. "Sorry, I'm a late comer, what's this about wind?"

ooc: I've noticed that capital I is a tad shorter than the lower case l, it seems like it should be the other way around.
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
7,704
Reaction score
7,688
Bonaventure looks excited to see you

"She's some...*pant*...horse alright...fierce strength...and even fiercer stature...not sure if I'll ride her my lord, a walk might be all I'll manage" he slowly guides her off for a jaunt around the lake.

"Well Brian..." Bonaventure begins after slapping Brian on the back "...we've a few games in store over on the island. I don't have the strength to compete you with you physically anymore, my sons will see to that. But how about a board game or two. I'll beat you soundly there" he says with a hearty smile.


"Yes, yes. We had a good midwinter feast last year. Haven't seen you since then. In fact how's the farm doing Cormag? She was a rough enough winter"

As the boat pulls off toward the island the wind picks up a bit.

"Can't wait to get inside" Bonaventure says looking at the sky.
OOC: I assume you'd understand it as familiarity, not as using contemporary slang.
"That's right, lad! Before you can even try to ride'em, you've gotta walk them!", Brian waves at the boy, before turning to Bonaventure.
"Can I have both? Play with your sons before dinner, and with you afterwards? I'm not afraid of losing at boardgames, how else is one to get better himself, if not by practicing against those better?"
After all, that's how one learns the sword, too.


OOC: I'll take that as nobody has anything to say on the boat.

The group's boat lands ashore on the island where some jugglers are tossing cloth torches into the air in a performance meant to greet arrivals.

Past them there is some sort of mock sword play tournament playing out in the garden in front of the castle.

From out the main doors of the castle comes the voice of a female singer accompanied by light drums. The revelry inside dies down a bit as she sings.

"Brother is a bit soft on the sadder songs" Bonaventure says stepping out. He then turns to Lughaidh.

"You can get yourself set up inside lad, it'll probably be a while until you're called"

Turning to the group in general:
"Anybody who wants can try some of the combat games we have here. If you're of a more intellectual sort you can join me for a board game out the back. If neither appeal there's the drink and food inside"

OOC: Kind of music being sung by the woman
OOC: in my case it was a "forum notified me dutifully about new posts in all the other threads..."
And I like the music.

Brian turns towards the mock sword fighting like a hound smelling a hare. But he also looks longingly in the direction where - he assumes - the boardgames would be...
So Cormag manages to get there first. And Brian slows down to see how it goes.
But then he approaches them as well.
"So are you going to take Diarmuid, or Cuthbert the Angle, Cormag?", he asks, smiling. "I like how Cuthbert stands on his feet, but you got here first!"
He taps his own sword, still smiling.
"You pick, and I'd take the other one. Unless, of course, one extra was the limit?"
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
5,538
Reaction score
10,611
Illan opts to try for to go without drugging first and see how it goes. He stands next to the ranter. "Sorry, I'm a late comer, what's this about wind?"
The man spins around, happy to have a new listener. The people he was speaking to, two young men and an older woman, scuttle off looking relieved.

"I rode here from the North only two hours ago. My farm passes near that large Sidhe fort a mile from here. The capstone was no longer on top of the mound and after that I felt a great wind. There's an abduction to come I'm telling you"
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
5,538
Reaction score
10,611
Lughaidh smiles broadly at the woman, "Before you go anywhere I must beg: tell me your name and the names of your comrades so that I may in the years to come properly credit you when I brag of our glory this evening!"
She does a small bow. "Siún is the name. I'm here with my father, he fought well for the king's father when they were young so I always get first go at the songs"

He pulls out his harp key and begins to get his harp into tune. She has been his boon companion for only a handful of years and he is still learning her preferences - but he knows well that she dislikes the cold and wet. That one low F keeps slipping at the worst times and is undoubtedly far flat just now. As the task is largely one of sound and touch he is able to peer around the room looking for a sign of his new friend Illan with the intent of waving him over to join in.
Lughaidh manages to see Illan head off up the stairs.

Lughaidh also notices he is being observed by a woman in a pure white tunic. In her forties he would guess and quite tall, her blonde hair is tied in a bun and she wears an expensive golden brooch about her neck. In her arms is a bound collection of manuscript papers. She stands by the wall directly behind the king, seemingly avoiding conversation
 
Last edited:

Scuba Steve

Legendary Member
Joined
Feb 25, 2020
Messages
141
Reaction score
262
Another Kern farmer-warrior dressed almost exactly like Cormag himself spins around.

"Certainly room for one more. You and myself would be a bit too much like a man fighting his shadow" he says making the other seven present laugh. "How about you give Diarmuid here a try or if you're feeling really brave Cuthbert the Angle. Nothing lethal though"

He gestures to the two men. Diarmuid sports long jet black hair and carries a single long spear and wears only a thin piece of cloth about his groin. Cuthbert the Angle is blond and carries a sword and wears leather armour with a yellow and black pattern.
Brian turns towards the mock sword fighting like a hound smelling a hare. But he also looks longingly in the direction where - he assumes - the boardgames would be...
So Cormag manages to get there first. And Brian slows down to see how it goes.
But then he approaches them as well.
"So are you going to take Diarmuid, or Cuthbert the Angle, Cormag?", he asks, smiling. "I like how Cuthbert stands on his feet, but you got here first!"
He taps his own sword, still smiling.
"You pick, and I'd take the other one. Unless, of course, one extra was the limit?"
"Certainly not, the more the merrier" the other Kern warrior says to Brian.
"Thank you!", Brian says graciously. "Well...Cormag?"

After debating in his mind for the briefest of moments on which warrior he should face off against, Cormag replies "Can't improve unless you challenge yourself, so I'll take on Cuthbert. Maybe our Angle friend can teach me some new tricks."

He turns to Brian and says, "That leaves Diarmuid for you friend. Let us all have a good fight."
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
7,704
Reaction score
7,688
"I totally agree, Cormag!", Brain exclaimed.
Then he threw his cloak down and looked for a place to face against Diarmuid.
 

Stan

Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2018
Messages
1,338
Reaction score
2,362
The man spins around, happy to have a new listener. The people he was speaking to, two young men and an older woman, scuttle off looking relieved.

"I rode here from the North only two hours ago. My farm passes near that large Sidhe fort a mile from here. The capstone was no longer on top of the mound and after that I felt a great wind. There's an abduction to come I'm telling you"


Illan searches his memory both about the fort and his knowledge of the lore surrounding it. He also looks over the man to see if he is otherwise in his right mind and not inebriated.

ooc: I have 56 in insight and 58 in lore(mythology). Would like to roll or should I?
 

Southpaw

Active Member
Joined
Mar 27, 2019
Messages
26
Reaction score
65
She does a small bow. "Siún is the name. I'm here with my father, he fought well for the king's father when they were young so I always get first go at the songs"

I am honored to make your acquaintance, Siún. Our king is a good man and any friend of his is a friend of mine. Now. Let us gather our band!"

Lughaidh also notices he is being observed by a woman in a pure white tunic. In her forties he would guess and quite tall, her blonde hair is tied in a bun and she wears an expensive golden brooch about her neck. In her arms is a bound collection of manuscript papers. She stands by the wall directly behind the king, seemingly avoiding conversation

Lughaidh waits until he has her eye and then winks and plays the first few bars of Miss Molly Dancing in the Heath. It's one of his favorites and is good for checking the tune of his harp. Such a regal and beautiful woman must surely know how to dance...
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
5,538
Reaction score
10,611
Illan searches his memory both about the fort and his knowledge of the lore surrounding it. He also looks over the man to see if he is otherwise in his right mind and not inebriated.

ooc: I have 56 in insight and 58 in lore(mythology). Would like to roll or should I?
OOC: As somebody with 58 in Lore(Mythology) which reflects significant professional training in the subject you would know details about this local site. Just to let you know how I'm making rulings.

Illan recalls that the fort is meant to contain a four floored Sidhe palace ruled over by Banaqulas of the Lilac gloves, a Sidhe lord. Raids by the fort's occupants only occur once a century or so the lore goes. You should not be due one for another few decades.

The man looks sober and more so speaks clearly. He is sober but terrified.
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
5,538
Reaction score
10,611
After debating in his mind for the briefest of moments on which warrior he should face off against, Cormag replies "Can't improve unless you challenge yourself, so I'll take on Cuthbert. Maybe our Angle friend can teach me some new tricks."

He turns to Brian and says, "That leaves Diarmuid for you friend. Let us all have a good fight."
"I totally agree, Cormag!", Brain exclaimed.
Then he threw his cloak down and looked for a place to face against Diarmuid.
The Kern warrior they speak claps his hands with glee.

"Alright wonderful. Lads your weapons"

He throws both Cormag and Brian heavy willow sticks.

"Knock out and bruisings are fine. Nothing further though. First to give up or be rendered unconscious loses"

OOC: Roll initiative! 1d10 + Init Bonus. Rolling website of choice is https://orokos.com/
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
5,538
Reaction score
10,611
I am honored to make your acquaintance, Siún. Our king is a good man and any friend of his is a friend of mine. Now. Let us gather our band!"
"Haha!" Siún says with a jump and gathers some friends for a bit of a dance and help from those with percussion instruments.

Lughaidh waits until he has her eye and then winks and plays the first few bars of Miss Molly Dancing in the Heath. It's one of his favorites and is good for checking the tune of his harp. Such a regal and beautiful woman must surely know how to dance...
In contrast to the bored expression she has been regarding the room with until now this suddenly gets her attention with a startle. She quickly looks away with a slight blush, going to look at a manuscript page.

OOC: Give a Musicianship(Harp) roll on Orokos https://orokos.com/
For getting the crowd excited this is an easy roll. So your Musicianship(Harp) becomes 99
Impressing the king will go by the Standard Difficulty so Musicianship(Harp) will be its normal 66.
 

Scuba Steve

Legendary Member
Joined
Feb 25, 2020
Messages
141
Reaction score
262
"Alright wonderful. Lads your weapons"

He throws both Cormag and Brian heavy willow sticks.

"Knock out and bruisings are fine. Nothing further though. First to give up or be rendered unconscious loses"

Catching the stick as its thrown to him, and giving it a deft moulinet, Cormag replies "Like it usually is. I'm fine with that." He makes ready with the weapon, relying on his training and past experience with a sword to guide his movements in the fight. Being that the fight is not a lethal one, he directs his aim towards Cuthbert's sword arm.

Roll: 1d10+13 20
 

Southpaw

Active Member
Joined
Mar 27, 2019
Messages
26
Reaction score
65
Alas! Lugaidh knew better than to flourish like that with fingers still as cold and clammy as they were from having been outside. But could he resist the temptation? Certainly not. He would not be who he is if he weren't the sort to go forth boldly into the music.

"Well, I hope nobody was paying attention. Or at least that they are forgiving of my hubris," He thinks to himself. He gives his harp a glare and makes a show of fixing the string that was -clearly- out of tune.

OOC - Rolled a 69. D'oh! I hope the king wasn't listening! (https://orokos.com/roll/814248)
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
5,538
Reaction score
10,611
Catching the stick as its thrown to him, and giving it a deft moulinet, Cormag replies "Like it usually is. I'm fine with that." He makes ready with the weapon, relying on his training and past experience with a sword to guide his movements in the fight. Being that the fight is not a lethal one, he directs his aim towards Cuthbert's sword arm.
Cutbert draws a wooden sword, but Cormag is quicker off the mark.

OOC: Okay so you have the initiative here. So to lay this out you have two actions per round of combat.
Combat goes in initiative order with you each spending an action point for a proactive action.

You've chosen to attack here. So roll on Combat Style(Kern).

Now if you succeed, Cuthbert might spend one of his action points to parry.

To give an example of how this might play out just so you can see.
Cormag's turn: Attack (1 Action Point), Cuthbert reactively defends (1 Action point)
Cuthbert's turn: Attack(1 Action Point). He misses so Cormag does not spend an action point.
Cormag's turn again due to remaining action point: Attack
[New Round. Action Points refreshed]
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
5,538
Reaction score
10,611
Alas! Lugaidh knew better than to flourish like that with fingers still as cold and clammy as they were from having been outside. But could he resist the temptation? Certainly not. He would not be who he is if he weren't the sort to go forth boldly into the music.

"Well, I hope nobody was paying attention. Or at least that they are forgiving of my hubris," He thinks to himself. He gives his harp a glare and makes a show of fixing the string that was -clearly- out of tune.

OOC - Rolled a 69. D'oh! I hope the king wasn't listening! (https://orokos.com/roll/814248)
OOC - OH, I DO! I MOST CERTAINLY DO!
And starting up the harp again after this retuning Lughaidh flows into a new harmonious flourish that fills the room, the initial bout of music being taken by the crowd as merely a prelude to these purer strains.

The king shouts over the applauding cheering public.

"Obviously one of skill. I am glad to have payed that fee Harpist. A song, a song then. One of heroes long ago and sadness" he says with some of the nobles at the table rolling their eyes at the last part.

The woman with the manuscript papers smiles in Lughaidh's direction but blushes when their eyes meet and heads upstairs.
 
Last edited:

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
5,538
Reaction score
10,611
OOC: Okay so you got a Success and Cuthbert (just) failed on his parry. This means you get to roll the weapon damage (1d4 + 1). In addition the Success level difference of 1 (Fumble -> Fail -> Success -> Crit) means you get to choose a Special Effect to add to your attack. See p.22 of Mythras Imperative for the list and p.23 for their descriptions.
You'll notice some say "Specific Weapons Requirement". You have access to the Bludgeoning ones (due to Willow stick) as well as ones with no specific requirements. Let me know which one you pick
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
5,538
Reaction score
10,611
OOC: R RobBadener here's your introduction. See the first post for a bit more context. This is a summer feast essentially being held at an island castle.

Brother Mícheál's currach lands upon the island, the monastery had sent him in order to represent the church at this occasion. To his right as he steps out into the reeds on the island shore he sees two mock combats about to begin. Though the fighters are hard to make out in the evening light from this distance. He knew that more than likely some boardgaming would be being conducted around the back of the castle. Just then he hears a loud cheer from inside the castle itself.
 
Cthulhu Mythos - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Top