Mythras: Breifne

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Joined
Jul 9, 2020
Messages
3,846
Reaction score
7,581
The battle madness rides heavy on my shoulders and I can see the wings of the Morrigan in my peripheral vision. A sickly piercing chuckle bubbles over my lips as I charge toward the next Norseman, rising to a mad cackle as my sword reaches for his neck.
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
7,704
Reaction score
7,688
OOC:
Knife lad and horn blower are down. Colla and Dogtos are engaged with two warriors. That only leaves the other two. Colla and Dogos are shown as a sword, Dougal as an axe. Brian is the star. Woman has red to indicate she is out.

New round


View attachment 28917
Brian decided that nobody needs to spoil a good thing, and aimed his last shot at the man that was roughly the same distance from Dougal and Dogos.
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
5,538
Reaction score
10,611
OOC: Sorry, Easter break had me busy!

The battle madness rides heavy on my shoulders and I can see the wings of the Morrigan in my peripheral vision. A sickly piercing chuckle bubbles over my lips as I charge toward the next Norseman, rising to a mad cackle as my sword reaches for his neck.
Brian decided that nobody needs to spoil a good thing, and aimed his last shot at the man that was roughly the same distance from Dougal and Dogos.
Dogtos and Colla come down heavily on the pair of Norsemen they encounter. Dogtos runs his opponent through after some back and forth parrying, however Colla just grabs his enemy by the shoulder and then suddenly lets go. The Norseman seems unharmed but doesn't move.

As soon as Dogtos and Colla had emerged the other two remaining Norsemen ran to support their brethren, preventing them from seeing Dougal race up from the forest. Dougal then drives his sword straight into the back of one of them, causing him to cough blood and fall to the ground.

A stray arrow from Brian suddenly just flies in and lands in the river water.

The last remaining Norseman, seeing his friends either dead, unconscious or frozen in place, simply drops his sword.

"The muter*...I mean the witch...knows the...tomorrow**...don't kill" he says in heavily accented Gaelic.

OOC:
*The Norse for witch would sound like the Irish for "muter"
**The word for "future" is rare and obscure in Irish, a non-native would certainly not have heard it, but you'd be able to guess he means to say "future"

Brian had a fumble, but of no real consequence
here
 

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Joined
Jul 9, 2020
Messages
3,846
Reaction score
7,581
Item one, I grab the fancy horn from where it lies in the dust next to the body of my first foe. Item two, after a prayer to Morrigan and Cernunnos I take the head of that same enemy, with all reverence and respect, and wrap in burlap for storage and later deflensing.

While I'm doing that I'll shout back over my shoulder "Well, c'mon lads, get a move on, this is where we go through their scrip for loose coin. Someone get that blue knife too, that looked fancy, and someone else bind that last bearded fucker good and tight. We'll feed him to the lake witches to seal our bargain."
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
7,704
Reaction score
7,688
Brian goes to check on the witch. She hasn't been properly disposed of! Has the bloodloss killed her?
If not, well, there are other weapons as well.
While walking, he's also checking his arrows. Of course he'd try to retrieve the ones he'd spent, too...but when all is said an' done, one just has to know how many arrows he's got for another skirmish, may St George not send any in their way!
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
5,538
Reaction score
10,611
Item one, I grab the fancy horn from where it lies in the dust next to the body of my first foe
As Dougal retrieves the horn it makes a slight tinkling sound, like distant bells. Carved on its surface are what seem to be images from Norse stories, though Dougal cannot ascertain their meaning beyond that.

ezgif-3-88af40d37eeb.jpg

Item two, after a prayer to Morrigan and Cernunnos I take the head of that same enemy, with all reverence and respect, and wrap in burlap for storage and later deflensing.
The cut is clean and precise. No spraying of viscera or blood. Colla nods at Dougal.

"Few left who can do so fine a job. With time I could make a brain ball for you if you want" he says heading over while wiping blood from his hands "Not that he would make a good one, but still. Though perhaps you prefer the brain kept"

OOC: Brain-ball is essentially a magic slingshot stone made from mixing an enemy's brains with lime. The more valorous or important the enemy the more powerful the brain-ball. A mook like this guy would probably only produce a Brain-ball of moderate strength, only a bit beyond a regular stone in terms of the damage it could cause.

While I'm doing that I'll shout back over my shoulder "Well, c'mon lads, get a move on, this is where we go through their scrip for loose coin. Someone get that blue knife too, that looked fancy
Dogtos heads over and grabs the knife.

"Cold...very cold on the blade itself. Hilt is of a fine make"

Garos the lizard emerges from the trees and scurries through the bodies for valuables.
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
5,538
Reaction score
10,611
While walking, he's also checking his arrows. Of course he'd try to retrieve the ones he'd spent, too...but when all is said an' done, one just has to know how many arrows he's got for another skirmish, may St George not send any in their way!
Brian retrieves all of his arrows. The one that landed in the river was easy to spot thanks to the slow flow. A quick tally and he finds he has twelve currently.

Brian goes to check on the witch. She hasn't been properly disposed of! Has the bloodloss killed her?
If not, well, there are other weapons as well.
The witch sits ranting and raving, struggling to remove the arrow from her knee cap. Brian instantly sees that she should be dead by the natural course of things, but some Norse magic sustains her. She goes quite and fixes Brian with a glare as he approaches.

"Allir góðir hlutir taka enda" she says to him and then lets go of the arrow and awaits Brian's killing blow.
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
5,538
Reaction score
10,611
Dogtos and Colla bind the last Norseman tight using a rope from one of the corpses. Then Colla lets out a whistle that causes the water to ripple in an unusual way.

"Right lads I suggest we all back off into the forest sharpish. Brian finish the witch off or grab her. Either way aside from Dougal it would be best to be some distance from the shore" he says walking past Dougal "Hags won't touch you because of that ring they gifted you, so you can stay. The Norseman's fate won't be pleasant to watch though"

Dogtos darts back to the tree line, but Colla simply jogs back.

Garos grabs the last few goodies and coins and slinks into the tree line as well.

OOC: Garos found the equivalent of 450 Mythras silver pieces in small gems and bits of gold. The gems are obvious enough to Brian as something removed from Christian chalices
 

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Joined
Jul 9, 2020
Messages
3,846
Reaction score
7,581
Dougal nods to Colla before he trots off, "The gods must be honoured my friend, and a clean cut is honouring both them and this poor fucker here. I would be very pleased with a brain ball, even if I'm not much of a slinger. It would make a bonny talking piece. I'm planning to start on the ritual tonight when we camp and I'll give you the brain once I've pocked it out." I slip the horn into my belt, and offer the wrapped head to Colla. "Would you mind this for a bit for me? I can't do our bound friend here less honour than his fallen comrade, so I'll stay with him while he meets his fate, gruesome as it's likely to be."

"Brian. I should take the witch if I were you. The hags won't be able to resist killing her, and I think she would be a great prize for someone. I'd gag her though, as well as tying her hands. Who knows what mischief her voice could cause."
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
7,704
Reaction score
7,688
"Curse your bones as well. Just in case that's what you had in mind", Brian says evenly, pulling his sword.
He stops before decapitating her, though.
"What? And how do you suppose we would carry her? With that leg she can't walk with us..."


OOC: And unless Dougal offers some clever ploy, he'll swing his sword for the neck.
 

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Joined
Jul 9, 2020
Messages
3,846
Reaction score
7,581
OOC: No clever ploys here. Cut away sir. Carrying her would be a pain.

I will say the following, "If you're going to kill her it might as well be a sacrifice to a god that matters. I don't know how your White Christ feels about that sort thing, but the witch would be a powerful sacrifice to Cernunnos."
 

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Joined
Jul 9, 2020
Messages
3,846
Reaction score
7,581
"Would dragging her to the standing stones really be that much work though?" Dougal adds, after a moment. "If we want the Queen's help the witch could be good bargaining chip."
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
5,538
Reaction score
10,611
OOC:
A AsenRG not sure if Dougal has changed your mind or if you're going to chop anyway.
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
7,704
Reaction score
7,688
OOC: I'm not sure. Would dragging her to the standing stones really be that much of a bother?
Personally, I'm inclined to cut.
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
7,704
Reaction score
7,688
...and Brian turned back towards the witch.
"You shouldn't have come at us with war", he advised her, not sure she understood. But he felt compelled to do so.
And then the sword fell.

OOC: I'm cutting the post (ha!) here, in case @Seadna has something up the witch's sleeve.
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
5,538
Reaction score
10,611
"You shouldn't have come at us with war", he advised her, not sure she understood. But he felt compelled to do so.
And then the sword fell.
Brian comes down hard on the Witch's neck and cuts straight through the flesh and bone. The decapitated corpse collapses, with the head coming free and plopping into the river, a trail of blood in its wake as it drifts slowly down the stream.
 

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Joined
Jul 9, 2020
Messages
3,846
Reaction score
7,581
With a sigh, Dougal says "I would have liked that head for my saddle. Pity. Ah well, lets be off then lads, before anymore fucking beardies come looking."
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
7,704
Reaction score
7,688
Brian comes down hard on the Witch's neck and cuts straight through the flesh and bone. The decapitated corpse collapses, with the head coming free and plopping into the river, a trail of blood in its wake as it drifts slowly down the stream.
Brian, having never seen a head floating before, goes in the river to grab it.
 

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Joined
Jul 9, 2020
Messages
3,846
Reaction score
7,581
"When you're done bobbing for apples lad we should make ourselves scarce..." says Dougal with a grin.
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
5,538
Reaction score
10,611
Brian, having never seen a head floating before, goes in the river to grab it.
Brian pulls the head out of the river with the tongue lolling out. Once he does he sees two large black masses approaching up the stream toward where he stands.
 

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Joined
Jul 9, 2020
Messages
3,846
Reaction score
7,581
OOC: Oh yeah, I'm waiting with the poor beardie who's going to get eaten. Sometimes honor is a pain in the ass.
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
7,704
Reaction score
7,688
Brian pulls the head out of the river with the tongue lolling out. Once he does he sees two large black masses approaching up the stream toward where he stands.
"There's your apples, over there!", Brian calls at Dougal, motioning towards the masses, while running promptly out of the river, head in hand.

Fenris-77 Fenris-77
 

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Joined
Jul 9, 2020
Messages
3,846
Reaction score
7,581
Dougal makes a rude gesture at Brian and then waits patiently and solemnly to witness the sacrifice to the hags.
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
5,538
Reaction score
10,611
The Norseman obviously has some sense that something terrible is about to happen when he spots the shapes in the river and Brian running in the opposite direction. He struggles against the ropes binding him.

Shortly afterward the two hags rise out of the river. Although roughly the same in appearance as last time with the same long red hair, their skin remains somewhat scaly.

"Ah!" the one to front begins, looking to Dougal, "A very fine conclusion to our arrangement"

She then grabs the Norseman by the throat and slightly punctures the skin. A purple fluid drips from the nails. She then unties him and disrobes him, he remains motionless. Then she sinks her hands into his chest and in one confusing motion rips his skin clean off his body.

"You'll get a go in a while sister" she says to the other hag and putting the skin over herself her form changes to that of a Norsewoman. She then puts on her victim's clothes. The skinless Norseman screams in pain briefly before the other hag grabs him and pulls him into the river. Her shadow beneath the water surface moving upstream out of sight.

The hag now in foreign guise and clothes stretches and looks to the sun before walking over to Dougal.

"A good fit. I've never been a Norsewoman"
 

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Joined
Jul 9, 2020
Messages
3,846
Reaction score
7,581
"It looks well on you lady." says Dougal, with a slight bow.
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
7,704
Reaction score
7,688
"Indeed it is", Brian nods, looking the hag over, appreciatively.
"So what are you planning to do with your new looks? Namely, are you planning to go over to the Norse camp?"

OOC: Traditionally, they seem to take a youthful appearance in such cases, is it the same in Irish myth as well, Séadna Séadna :shade:?
 

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Joined
Jul 9, 2020
Messages
3,846
Reaction score
7,581
"I thought you'd fucked off back to the treeline, White Christ boy." says Dougal with a laugh. "You realize you're putting your immortal soul at risk here, right? Not that I can blame you," Dougal adds, with an appreciative look at what I assume is a mostly naked Scandinavian bikini model.
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
7,704
Reaction score
7,688
"I thought you'd fucked off back to the treeline, White Christ boy." says Dougal with a laugh. "You realize you're putting your immortal soul at risk here, right? Not that I can blame you," Dougal adds, with an appreciative look at what I assume is a mostly naked Scandinavian bikini model.
"Yeah, and I didn't expect a pagan like you to care about my immortal soul", Brian grinned back.
"And if you care about the practicalities of being a Christian - that confession is going to be lengthy anyway just by account of what I've done already. No point in losing an opportunity over whether it's going to be a tad longer or a tad shorter", the nobleman added, thoughtfully, while also contemplating* the view.

*Or looking just past it, if she looks like an old crone, for some reason. He'd still want to know what she's planning next!
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
5,538
Reaction score
10,611
OOC: Traditionally, they seem to take a youthful appearance in such cases, is it the same in Irish myth as well
OOC: Yeah she looks young, say early 20s.

"It looks well on you lady." says Dougal, with a slight bow.
The hag laughs.

"The body might look well, but I don't know how the Norse stand wearing all these furs" she says adjusting the last set of clothing on to herself and placing the Norseman's helmet on her head.

"Indeed it is", Brian nods, looking the hag over, appreciatively.
"So what are you planning to do with your new looks? Namely, are you planning to go over to the Norse camp?"
"Well that was my first plan. I know their tongue now to some degree, so I should have little trouble getting in. I'd still have an accent though, so I'll probably act a tad taciturn...I'm hoping they have some magical trinkets from their homeland that I can fool them into giving me. Or I'll probably just steal them"

Colla comes out from the treeline and bows as a greeting to the hag.
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
7,704
Reaction score
7,688
OOC: Yeah she looks young, say early 20s.


The hag laughs.

"The body might look well, but I don't know how the Norse stand wearing all these furs" she says adjusting the last set of clothing on to herself and placing the Norseman's helmet on her head.


"Well that was my first plan. I know their tongue now to some degree, so I should have little trouble getting in. I'd still have an accent though, so I'll probably act a tad taciturn...I'm hoping they have some magical trinkets from their homeland that I can fool them into giving me. Or I'll probably just steal them"

Colla comes out from the treeline and bows as a greeting to the hag.
Brian chuckles.
"It seems your plans would help ours, even if only inadvertently. Thus I can only wish you good luck!", he said.
And they don't lose anything even if the Norse were to capture her...

Then he turned to the others. "And we should be on our way, too."
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
5,538
Reaction score
10,611
The group head into the forest across the stream and continue around the bay. In short order they see from the forest a dirty looking beach on which the Norse have thrown up some cabins and a makeshift dock. None of their long-ships are docked there, but six of the smaller vessels. Walking about the huts there seem to be six warriors visible with sword and shield but others can be heard within cabins of uncertain number.

Near the huts some women obviously not of Norse blood are hammering and sawing away. Fixing weapons and also making sails and so forth for the boats. Their clothing is simple brown dresses. One of the women is obviously of richer blood than the others, wearing a more finely sown blue dress and guides them in their tasks. The Norse themselves seem to take little interest in the work the women are doing. When the women call out to each other they sound like Rus*.

OOC:
Sorry! Didn't get much free time this week to sit down for this!

*"Rus" would refer to any Slav.

Beach looks like this:

ezgif-4-664c39816260.jpg

Vikings have built the following structure around the beach, but with a small pier:
viking 3.jpg

Women working look as follows, wealthier woman is second.
a837e6c021c5f8580c4672656b44316f.jpg
a9ef7cff82cbfb45450c383725a7ac93.jpg
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
7,704
Reaction score
7,688
The group head into the forest across the stream and continue around the bay. In short order they see from the forest a dirty looking beach on which the Norse have thrown up some cabins and a makeshift dock. None of their long-ships are docked there, but six of the smaller vessels. Walking about the huts there seem to be six warriors visible with sword and shield but others can be heard within cabins of uncertain number.

Near the huts some women obviously not of Norse blood are hammering and sawing away. Fixing weapons and also making sails and so forth for the boats. Their clothing is simple brown dresses. One of the women is obviously of richer blood than the others, wearing a more finely sown blue dress and guides them in their tasks. The Norse themselves seem to take little interest in the work the women are doing. When the women call out to each other they sound like Rus*.

OOC:
Sorry! Didn't get much free time this week to sit down for this!

*"Rus" would refer to any Slav.

Beach looks like this:


Vikings have built the following structure around the beach, but with a small pier:

Women working look as follows, wealthier woman is second.

"Well, some thralls doing some dirty work, and some guards. The question is...how many do you believe are there that we can't see? A longship can only carry so many", Brian muses.
"And for that matter, what are our odds of putting the torch to these ships? Not all of them, maybe. We do want them to split and leave, after all, if possible!"
He tries to map a way that the guards wouldn't observe so well at all times. Then for possible obstacles on that way. Getting within arrowshot could be enough...
"Or we can just call it a day, and leave", he adds. "Maybe taking a prisoner, if possible. One that can walk, though. No hitting them in the legs, not anymore!"
 

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Joined
Jul 9, 2020
Messages
3,846
Reaction score
7,581
"Hmm," Dougal muses, "if we expect an equal number inside as out that would be 12, which seems like a lot. That's just a guess of course, but guessing low is a good way to meet the Gods early." He thinks for a bit. "Perhaps if we arranged a distraction to pull some of them out of the village we could deal with them piecemeal. A fire with lots of smoke in the woods maybe, that's something they'd have to go investigate..."
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
7,704
Reaction score
7,688
"I like that, as long as we don't let it propagate too much", Brian nods. "Too much possibility for getting trapped, or hurting people we don't mean to. This is our land, after all."
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
5,538
Reaction score
10,611
The Dolmen warrior nods in a mock sagely manner as he listens to Brian and Dougal plan.

"I could start the fire fellas. About two minutes run back the way we came I suggest?"
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
7,704
Reaction score
7,688
"Sounds good to me", Brian agreed. "Worst case scenrio, we thin their forces a bit. But we should also post a look-out...don't want some of their forces, which might be outside the camp now, scouting, raiding, besieging, pillaging, such things, to become wary and come back to the camp, surprising us".
 

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Joined
Jul 9, 2020
Messages
3,846
Reaction score
7,581
"I think some sneaky fucker should slip round t'other side of the huts and set a fire or somesuch off that way," says Dougal. "Then we can rush in from this side and stick some beardies while the other ones are off chasing their asses," he continues with an evil grin.
 
Cthulhu Mythos - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Top