Mythras: Breifne

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
6,304
Reaction score
13,745
OOC:
Consider Garos as having explained this to you at some point on your travels.
He would be quite silent. In terms of noise, in a forest he would be difficult to tell apart from a normal animal. He is practiced at staying out of sight from surface dwellers.
 

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Joined
Jul 9, 2020
Messages
7,581
Reaction score
18,228
OOC: He sounds like the very bastard for this little lark.
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
6,304
Reaction score
13,745
Garos straightens up and gives a little Roman salute, before going prone and slinking off. A few minutes later smoke can be seen in a copse of trees a little away from the Norse huts.

Some of the Norse men take a look and for some reason a furious discussion erupts between them. This summons those within the huts to come outside, of which there only seems to be two bringing the total to eight.

After a bit of shouting and with constant gesturing out at the sea, five of them leave to go look at the fire in the woods. The remaining three seem pretty angry for some reason, bellowing about something and nodding in agreement with each other.

OOC: Their weaponry is a simple shortsword and shield. Their armour is animal skins. Dougal can tell it is reindeer skin specifically.
 

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Joined
Jul 9, 2020
Messages
7,581
Reaction score
18,228
"Ok lads, lets get stuck in," says Dougal. "Let's go in silent to minimize the fuss, so no shouting or singing, as much as that pains me," he adds with a grimace.
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
10,820
Reaction score
12,157
"We can sing "You'll get F'All from Rockall" as we retreat later on", Brian suggests, and starts approaching the Norsemen - going from cover to cover whenever practical, or charging up whenever it was not.
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
10,820
Reaction score
12,157
Brian would make sure not to be far behind.
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
6,304
Reaction score
13,745
As the group approaches the Norse huts silently one of the warriors spots Colla, who isn't the stealthiest in the world. He instantly drops his sword and shield and shouts out.

"No fight here Irish man"

Colla stops and looks toward him unsure what to do. The two other warriors turn to look at Colla and lower (but do not drop) their weapons.

Brian, Dougal and the Dolmen Warrior make it to the Blacksmith's workshop at the left side of the little settlement. They have not been spotted yet.
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
10,820
Reaction score
12,157
Brian hides behind the blacksmith shop and motions for the Fey man to talk to the Norse. Worst case scenario, they'd get a free move at them.
But a Northerner dropping his weapons?
Something was wrong.
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
6,304
Reaction score
13,745
Brian hides behind the blacksmith shop and motions for the Fey man to talk to the Norse
Colla glances in Brian's direction and sees his motions, but doesn't nod or similar back so as not to expose his companions.

Colla then straightens himself up.

"You the peace loving sort or something Northerner?"

The Norseman smiles and shakes his head.

"No, just not an Odin worshipper..." he points to a symbol on his shirt "...some of us remember the true All Father, one who demands less blood"

OOC: Symbol on his clothing:
unnamed.jpg
 

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Joined
Jul 9, 2020
Messages
7,581
Reaction score
18,228
The face of Morrigan is my face, her vengance is my vengeance. Dougal isn't going to any help with the nuances of morality here. AsenRG AsenRG - diplomacy is going to be on you or Dougal will add a head to his saddle. (No pressure)
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
10,820
Reaction score
12,157
Brian, alas, is moving behind the smithy, trying to get behind the Northerners. So he's not of much use at this point.
Hopefully Colla would be able to keep the conversation going. Quite the conversationalist, that one, for a Sidhe!
 

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Joined
Jul 9, 2020
Messages
7,581
Reaction score
18,228
Well, barring someone telling him not too, Dougal is going to take heads. Does he hear this Norseman?
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
6,304
Reaction score
13,745
Brian, alas, is moving behind the smithy, trying to get behind the Northerners. So he's not of much use at this point.
Hopefully Colla would be able to keep the conversation going. Quite the conversationalist, that one, for a Sidhe!
Brian makes it successfully behind the Smithy as Colla continues to speak to the Norseman.

"I've no idea what that symbol means" Colla says adopting a less hostile posture and lowering his weapon slightly.

"Tyr, the old father" the Norseman replies.

At this point Brian is behind the Smithy and can easily head into the privy of the Longhouse since the Norsemen cannot currently see him.

viking 3.jpg

Well, barring someone telling him not too, Dougal is going to take heads. Does he hear this Norseman?
Dougal can hear him loud and clear.

OOC: Consider yourselves behind the Blacksmith or the Longhouse. The warriors are standing near the fishing racks in front of the Longhouse.
 

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Joined
Jul 9, 2020
Messages
7,581
Reaction score
18,228
Dougal swears under his breath and glances toward the treeline where the rest of the Norse disappeared. I'm going to check out the smithy quickly. Those other Norse had some interesting gear...

OOC: We don't have a lot of time for cultural exchange here folks. At the least we should set their food stores on fire and get the heck out of here, or something.
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
10,820
Reaction score
12,157
Dougal swears under his breath and glances toward the treeline where the rest of the Norse disappeared. I'm going to check out the smithy quickly. Those other Norse had some interesting gear...

OOC: We don't have a lot of time for cultural exchange here folks. At the least we should set their food stores on fire and get the heck out of here, or something.
OOC: Ah, but nurturing the seed of division in the enemy's ranks is a wonderful thing to do, is it not?
 

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Joined
Jul 9, 2020
Messages
7,581
Reaction score
18,228
OOC: Sure, but that doesn't mean we aren't on a schedule here. Blargh, IDK, maybe just get them inside and out of site and we'll bushwack those other dickbags when they get back from their little Ranger Rick field trip.
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
6,304
Reaction score
13,745
Dougal swears under his breath and glances toward the treeline where the rest of the Norse disappeared. I'm going to check out the smithy quickly. Those other Norse had some interesting gear...
Entering the Smithy while Colla engages the Norsemen in prattle.

Inside are two of the women in brown garments and an old man at the Smith's table itself. The sun shines in through the gaps in the thatched roof so Dougal can clearly see all the tools and weapons set on three tables near the back. Mostly hammers and such for building work.

None speak as Dougal enters, but the old man nods his head to a table on the left on which is laid a sword etched with runes. It looks much more hardy than any Irish sword Dougal has seen, a fine iron weapon.

The old man gestures to Dougal to approach, so that he might whisper to him.
 

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Joined
Jul 9, 2020
Messages
7,581
Reaction score
18,228
Dougal will approach, but warily and ready for treachery...
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
6,304
Reaction score
13,745
The old man, seeing Dougal's hesitancy, holds up his hands to show they aren't holding anything and gestures to the women to back off a bit.

He speaks quietly to Dougal once he is close enough.

"The heathens here have a chalice and some pages of the Holy Book itself from Conor's Field Monastery. It's in a casket in the longhouse. The pages are for the great work in Water Spring Monastery. By Great Christ I fear they'll melt the chalice down!"

OOC: Conor's Field Monastery is about a day's walk from where you are. Water Spring is about three days away.
 

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Joined
Jul 9, 2020
Messages
7,581
Reaction score
18,228
"Your White Christ isn't my God, but I respect your faith none the less. I will try to convince my companions to help me save your relics. I have a Christian friend who I'm sure will know how to make them safe. Now, tell me about that sword goodman, quickly now..." says Dougal in low tones.
 

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Joined
Jul 9, 2020
Messages
7,581
Reaction score
18,228
OOC: Something strike you as funny there, chuckles? :grin: Of course I'm not going to ignore the swag...
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
10,820
Reaction score
12,157
After brief hesitation, Brian also enters. At worst, he could surprise the Norsemen from the inside out - not a direction they'd expect an attack from...


OOC: Sorry, @Seadna ! I fell asleep before posting last night. Then again, it was 3 AM, so I wasn't really surprised:shade:!
OOC2: Of course Dougal's funny. But he's also pragmatic. I approve of that.
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
6,304
Reaction score
13,745
"Your White Christ isn't my God, but I respect your faith none the less. I will try to convince my companions to help me save your relics. I have a Christian friend who I'm sure will know how to make them safe. Now, tell me about that sword goodman, quickly now..." says Dougal in low tones.
The man fixes Dougal with funny expression as Dougal speaks. Mouth slightly open but tightened and eyes narrowed. One that has greeted Dougal* a few times, disgust but not so overt as to risk the anger of one as obviously skilled as Dougal.

"The sword is for one of their leaders, whose out pillaging along the coast as we speak. He's meant to be back in two days or so. A hard blade, we can't really make the like of it here. Maybe off in far Dublin. The runes are meant to keep the user safe, a blessing from their version of Mercury. Heathen nonsense!"

*OOC: Leaving it to you of course if Dougal cares enough to notice these things.
 
Last edited:

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
6,304
Reaction score
13,745
After brief hesitation, Brian also enters. At worst, he could surprise the Norsemen from the inside out - not a direction they'd expect an attack from...
Brian's plain nobility cuts a fine figure as he enters, a quick smile from one of the ladies.
The old man speaking to Dougal puts his hand to his forehead and then extends it out in a sign of submission.
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
10,820
Reaction score
12,157
Brian's plain nobility cuts a fine figure as he enters, a quick smile from one of the ladies.
The old man speaking to Dougal puts his hand to his forehead and then extends it out in a sign of submission.
"So what did I miss?", Brian inquired. "And can you see the Norse from the windows here?"
 

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Joined
Jul 9, 2020
Messages
7,581
Reaction score
18,228
OOC: Yeah, Dougal is used to that particular look. Water off a duck's back.

"Brian, excellent, talk to this fellow about his missing relics. I did promise we'd go after them, but it probably means more to you than I, and I wouldn't recognize a relic of the White Christ if I were eating sausages out of one." says Dougal. "Sorry old man, I'm taking the sword. I'll put it to better use killing the fucking Norse than they ever will," he adds, glancing in the direction of the old man.
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
10,820
Reaction score
12,157
Brian chuckles.
"Forgive my pagan friend, at least he's from Eire", he says. "And Pax vobiscum, elder, as priests say. So what relics are there to be retrieved by the Northern pagans?"

OOC: I was tempted to write "pax vobititcum", because Brian isn't a scholar, but decided against it after a roll:grin:!
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
6,304
Reaction score
13,745
"Brian, excellent, talk to this fellow about his missing relics. I did promise we'd go after them, but it probably means more to you than I, and I wouldn't recognize a relic of the White Christ if I were eating sausages out of one." says Dougal. "Sorry old man, I'm taking the sword. I'll put it to better use killing the fucking Norse than they ever will," he adds, glancing in the direction of the old man.
The old man politely gestures toward the sword "Be my guest young man".

Dougal seizing the sword feels its hefty weight, much heavier than any sword he has lifted before. Well aside from those daft one's nobles have for show rather than war. The blade isn't particularly sharp and Dougal gets a sense of Norse savagery for indeed his appraisal of the weapon is that it's one meant to hack an enemy like fresh meat rather than kill with a quick fine cut.
 

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Joined
Jul 9, 2020
Messages
7,581
Reaction score
18,228
Dougal bows slightly to the old man. "Thank you, I will put it to good use." he says, with a savage grin. "Do you need me to mark you up to convince anyone that you didn't give it up without a fight?" he adds, with a frown.

OCC: One handed or Two handed?
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
6,304
Reaction score
13,745
Brian chuckles.
"Forgive my pagan friend, at least he's from Eire", he says. "And Pax vobiscum, elder, as priests say. So what relics are there to be retrieved by the Northern pagans?"
The old man perks up suddenly and speaks in more flowery language to Brian.

"Oh great noble, the pagans they hath removed in a most profane manner some of the folios from the new Vulgate just commissioned for the Water Spring monastery. A glorious work, each of the Christ's life stories in beautiful detail. These pages are of special worth..." he leans closer and speaks in a more serious tone "...they treat of our Lord's existence as the Greek rational principle...the so called Logos, before he was clothed in flesh. The start of Johannian gospel, few have read it I sense even among the clergy and to speak of the average man......"

Brian can sense a rant coming on.
 

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Joined
Jul 9, 2020
Messages
7,581
Reaction score
18,228
"Fucking insane Christians..." Dougal mutters under his breath. He takes a look outside the window for retuning Beardies, since apparently the inside-out ambush is the plan now...
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
6,304
Reaction score
13,745
"Do you need me to mark you up to convince anyone that you didn't give it up without a fight?" he adds, with a frown.
This interrupts the man's rant to Brian.

"Certainly not!" he whispers. "The Norse know I'd betray them, I've told them so a few times. Besides with that weapon and your probable skill I'll be free. Or at least you'll make enough commotion for me to run for it"
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
6,304
Reaction score
13,745
"Fucking insane Christians..." Dougal mutters under his breath. He takes a look outside the window for retuning Beardies, since apparently the inside-out ambush is the plan now...
The other Norse are not yet returning. Dougal can see one of them vaguely deep in the forest.
 

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Joined
Jul 9, 2020
Messages
7,581
Reaction score
18,228
"Fair enough old man, may your god look kindly on you in the midst of the blood and wrath." says Dougal, with a solemn nod.
 

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Joined
Jul 9, 2020
Messages
7,581
Reaction score
18,228
"Alright you fuckers, we have Beardies coming back. Set you shit and get ready to take heads," says Dougal. He bows his head in a silent prayer to Cernunnos. Lord of Horns, I am the vehicle of your wrath, see me through the blood and fire, and kisses the hilt of the runic sword.
 
Cthulhu Mythos - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Top