Mythras: Breifne

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
9,537
Reaction score
10,381
The old man perks up suddenly and speaks in more flowery language to Brian.

"Oh great noble, the pagans they hath removed in a most profane manner some of the folios from the new Vulgate just commissioned for the Water Spring monastery. A glorious work, each of the Christ's life stories in beautiful detail. These pages are of special worth..." he leans closer and speaks in a more serious tone "...they treat of our Lord's existence as the Greek rational principle...the so called Logos, before he was clothed in flesh. The start of Johannian gospel, few have read it I sense even among the clergy and to speak of the average man......"

Brian can sense a rant coming on.
"That's all well and good", Brian interrupted. "But the details would be of more interest to a priest. Me, I'm going to free up your manuscript, and let the priests deal with it. Which specific Northerner has the pages and who has the chalice?"
He pulls his bow off his shoulder and nods at Dougal.
"Unless you fancy challenging their champion...", he adds. "But I don't think we've got the numbers. So let's make them dance!"
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
9,537
Reaction score
10,381
"Thought so", Brian answers, and moves to the window to take aim at the indicated Northerner.
 

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Joined
Jul 9, 2020
Messages
6,033
Reaction score
13,378
OOC: What's the tactical situation look like outside?
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
6,300
Reaction score
13,694
"That's all well and good", Brian interrupted. "But the details would be of more interest to a priest. Me, I'm going to free up your manuscript, and let the priests deal with it. Which specific Northerner has the pages and who has the chalice?"
The man looks momentarily offended at the interruption, but remembers the class distinction between himself and Brian quickly corrects his expression.

"It's in the longhouse nearby. They have a chest with the pages and chalice both"
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
6,300
Reaction score
13,694
OOC: What's the tactical situation look like outside?
Colla is still talking to the three Norsemen who remained here.

Outside the window Dougal can see the Norse now slowly returning from the forest.
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
6,300
Reaction score
13,694
"Thought so", Brian answers, and moves to the window to take aim at the indicated Northerner.
Brian is reasonably confident he can get a shot off. The Norse are gesturing to each other full of bravado, singing and laughing and thus are completely unguarded. The two at the front of their group are in a side hug and present a wide target.
 

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Joined
Jul 9, 2020
Messages
6,033
Reaction score
13,378
OOC: Can I work my way around to their side unseen? I'm looking to charge after some archery hits 'em. Hopefully everyone else follows suit or it could be a short fight. If not then shock and awe out the front door will have to do. |I need to give this big mothering sword a test drive.
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
6,300
Reaction score
13,694
OOC: Can I work my way around to their side unseen? I'm looking to charge after some archery hits 'em. Hopefully everyone else follows suit or it could be a short fight. If not then shock and awe out the front door will have to do. |I need to give this big mothering sword a test drive.
OOC: Yeah that would be possible. The tree line is close to the Blacksmith's place. Your Locale, Track and Stealth scores and Dougal's background and faith imply being quite adept at moving through forests. This would be essentially risk free if done right now.
 

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Joined
Jul 9, 2020
Messages
6,033
Reaction score
13,378
OOC: Yeah that would be possible. The tree line is close to the Blacksmith's place. Your Locale, Track and Stealth scores and Dougal's background and faith imply being quite adept at moving through forests. This would be essentially risk free if done right now.
Done then.
 

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Joined
Jul 9, 2020
Messages
6,033
Reaction score
13,378
OOC: Once the Norse are distracted by arrows, I'm going to charge in from the side. Now that we're stuck in, the idea of challenging their leader to single combat is starting to hold some appeal. If there's an obvious candidate I may give that a go. If not, I'll just pick one guy off from the edge of the group and work from there.
 
Last edited:

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
9,537
Reaction score
10,381
Brian nodded, and aimed for the guys who presented a biggest target.

OOC: my password for Unseen Servant is lost again. Aaargh! Seadna, please, just roll analogue dice!
If he rolls a critical: Pick Location(unarmoured location), Maximise Damage.
If he doesn't: Bleed?
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
6,300
Reaction score
13,694
Brian has enough time to line up the shot nicely as Dougal and the others beside Colla slip out into the forest into flanking position near the Vikings.

There's a momentary silence before Brian's arrow shoots through the woods right into the forehead of one of the hugging Norsemen. His head snapping back rapidly, his companion turns shocked and is too dumbfounded to react or draw a weapon.

The other three instantly draw their swords and begin scanning the woods in quick steps. The leader is obvious with his more ornate helmet and finer clothes.

OOC: The leader has separated slightly from the others in their search of the woods. He would be isolated enough for you to approach him directly and speak a challenge to him, so however you want to do things.
 

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Joined
Jul 9, 2020
Messages
6,033
Reaction score
13,378
Dougal will step out into plain view of the leader. He will begin a high keening wail, the Song of the Morrigan, and point his sword directly at the Norseman, a plain invitation to single combat.
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
9,537
Reaction score
10,381
Brian waits to see if the Northerner accepts the challenge, but mentally picks his next targets.
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
6,300
Reaction score
13,694
Dougal will step out into plain view of the leader. He will begin a high keening wail, the Song of the Morrigan, and point his sword directly at the Norseman, a plain invitation to single combat.
The Norseman stops short at Dougal's gesture and looks toward the point of the sword. A smile curling up one side of his mouth. He speaks then in a rich accent with long smooth vowels. His Gaelic is simple, but there is a beauty to the voice.

"Challenge? Our men can watch?" he says gesturing to the forest.

"I call mine, you call yours. Other side accepts winner of this fight? That is drengr...'true spirited' you would say"
 

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Joined
Jul 9, 2020
Messages
6,033
Reaction score
13,378
"That is Fir a Fer, you and I," says Dougal. "Your skull will look well on my saddle. I think you a canny warrior, and it would be my honour to fight you." He swings the great sword in a series of quick arcs and the battle madness begins to bubble up from his chest into a series of barking laughs before he charges. Morrigan and Cernnunos preserve me if I am worthy.

OCC: Dougal will accept the outcome of the fight, but is under no illusions that anyone else in the party need do so, although only Brian might lack the culture to possibly not abide by the code of single combat (warrior he might be).
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
9,537
Reaction score
10,381
Brian doesn't even suspect that Dougal has such suspicions about him, so he happily puts an arrow in his quiver, and looks through the window.

OOC: Seriously? Knights had single combat long after Christianity was dominant!
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
6,300
Reaction score
13,694
"That is Fir a Fer, you and I," says Dougal. "Your skull will look well on my saddle. I think you a canny warrior, and it would be my honour to fight you." He swings the great sword in a series of quick arcs and the battle madness begins to bubble up from his chest into a series of barking laughs before he charges. Morrigan and Cernnunos preserve me if I am worthy.
Dougal rushes and swings out with the massive Norse sword with tremendous force. A flash of shock is seen in the Norseman's face, but he brings up his sword just in time to connect with Dougal's blade. The parry is skillful, but he did not count on the weight of Dougal's new sword, it's momentum meaning Dougal manages to push through the parry. The Norseman grits his teeth in a effort to halt Dougal's blade, he manages just barely. The point of the blade cutting slightly into the leather armour over his stomach.

He finally pushes Dougal's blade aside and sidesteps to the right slightly for his own swing, easily knocked aside by Dougal with enough force to leave the Norseman completely open. Failing to bring his blade back in time to stop the next fury driven blow from Dougal...

OOC: He's screwed now. However you want to describe finishing him off. You have two special effects to play with, but consider this license to do something dramatic since the combination of the "Max Damage" and "Target Location" effects would allow any violence you find fitting.
 

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Joined
Jul 9, 2020
Messages
6,033
Reaction score
13,378
OOC: special effects huh? OK...

A quick slash from Dougal removes the Norseman's weapon hand at the wrist and his follow-up swing removes his head cleanly at the neck. Dougal picks up the head by it's hair screams his thanks skyward to the gods, sword and head raised high. Afterward, he looks slowly around at the remaining Norse and says "unless you want to be next, now is when you fuck off. If you break the compact of single combat your souls will serve my god Cernunnos for eternity." That said, he cleans off the great blade on the dead Norseman's cloak and waits to see in any of the remaining beardies feel like making sacrifices of themselves. His feral grin of anticipation speaks volumes....
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
6,300
Reaction score
13,694
The three Norse look among each other for a moment. One speaks. He is fluent enough in Gaelic.

"You bet him. You are the first here I've met who does not love the Roman god. Your god sounds worse than the jötnar. We won't quarrel with you..."

He pauses and confers with the other two.

"...but the leader of our forces...that sword was for him. He'd kill us if he saw you had that. And he'd kill or banish us anyway for letting you win. Can we take ourselves and the three young fellows back at camp and leave in peace? Perhaps to work for the Gaelic king here?"
 

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Joined
Jul 9, 2020
Messages
6,033
Reaction score
13,378
The three Norse look among each other for a moment. One speaks. He is fluent enough in Gaelic.

"You bet him. You are the first here I've met who does not love the Roman god. Your god sounds worse than the jötnar. We won't quarrel with you..."

He pauses and confers with the other two.

"...but the leader of our forces...that sword was for him. He'd kill us if he saw you had that. And he'd kill or banish us anyway for letting you win. Can we take ourselves and the three young fellows back at camp and leave in peace? Perhaps to work for the Gaelic king here?"
"Hmm..." Dougal thinks for a bit, "well, don't worry about the sword, I'm going to use it to cut off your leader's head just like I did this poor fucker here," he says, gesturing at the headless corpse. "If you want to leave the Norse cause here, I think we can arrange that. Here's what I suggest - you and your companions swear obedience to me, here and now, on a relic of my god, and I'll take you with us. Beware, my god does not countenance oath breaking. If you'll swear and be bound, you can travel with me until you find a place here with a a lord you want to serve. When you find one, and with your permission, I will transfer your oath to him and you can serve him in whatever capacity you can argue for." He looks at each Norse in turn. "What say you? I have no time for dallying or discussion..."
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
9,537
Reaction score
10,381
"I love the Roman god, as you call the good Christ", Brian says, putting his bow on his back. "But I don't object to this arrangement, provided the Christian relics are returned".
He also looked to check how many of the Norse were still alive. No doubt the man with the throwing stick had used the opportunity...
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
6,300
Reaction score
13,694
"Hmm..." Dougal thinks for a bit, "well, don't worry about the sword, I'm going to use it to cut off your leader's head just like I did this poor fucker here," he says, gesturing at the headless corpse. "If you want to leave the Norse cause here, I think we can arrange that. Here's what I suggest - you and your companions swear obedience to me, here and now, on a relic of my god, and I'll take you with us. Beware, my god does not countenance oath breaking. If you'll swear and be bound, you can travel with me until you find a place here with a a lord you want to serve. When you find one, and with your permission, I will transfer your oath to him and you can serve him in whatever capacity you can argue for." He looks at each Norse in turn. "What say you? I have no time for dallying or discussion..."
"I like the sound of it more than the sword to the gut our own kind would give us. Alright then let's swear your oath...

But Irishman I would advise not facing our leader. He has been given a gift from the gods, the boat Skíðblaðnir, and with him travels Heimdallr who watches for the gods"

The other Norse look at him with an incredulous expression and they say a few short words in Norse before the one speaking to Dougal shushes them.

"I love the Roman god, as you call the good Christ", Brian says, putting his bow on his back. "But I don't object to this arrangement, provided the Christian relics are returned".
He also looked to check how many of the Norse were still alive. No doubt the man with the throwing stick had used the opportunity...
Brian sees six in total. The three to whom Dougal is speaking and back at the camp the other three who didn't go into the forest to inspect the fire. They sit laughing with Colla and offering him a drink.

"The relics are in the Longhouse, take them if you wish. The chalice is rich stuff, but I do not grasp why we were ordered to take the pages. Powerful Roman magics?" the Gaelic-speaking Norseman says to Brian.
 

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Joined
Jul 9, 2020
Messages
6,033
Reaction score
13,378
"Alright then, my canny boys, walk with me to my horse. You'll swear on the skulls I carry on my saddle, and make no mistake, angering me is as nothing set next to breaking an oath to Cernunnos. On the other hand, he will honour you if you honour him, so there's nought to fear unless you plan to be false." says Dougal, gesturing back toward the woods where the horses are. "Let's make haste before this gets any more complicated..."
 

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Joined
Jul 9, 2020
Messages
6,033
Reaction score
13,378
OOC: Brian, you want to loot the longhouse whilst I swear these assholes to our cause?
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
9,537
Reaction score
10,381
"I like the sound of it more than the sword to the gut our own kind would give us. Alright then let's swear your oath...

But Irishman I would advise not facing our leader. He has been given a gift from the gods, the boat Skíðblaðnir, and with him travels Heimdallr who watches for the gods"

The other Norse look at him with an incredulous expression and they say a few short words in Norse before the one speaking to Dougal shushes them.


Brian sees six in total. The three to whom Dougal is speaking and back at the camp the other three who didn't go into the forest to inspect the fire. They sit laughing with Colla and offering him a drink.

"The relics are in the Longhouse, take them if you wish. The chalice is rich stuff, but I do not grasp why we were ordered to take the pages. Powerful Roman magics?" the Gaelic-speaking Norseman says to Brian.
"To be honest? I don't have any idea", Brian answers truthfully. "If your leader just dislikes the White Christ, maybe he wanted to burn them publicly; if he's schrewder than that, maybe he wanted to use them somehow, say to negotiate with monks. Either way, as you're now running from him as well, we should take them".

OOC: Brian isn't going to turn his back to Northerners, though. Oaths or no oaths, they're hiding something. Possibly a dagger...
And Fenris-77 Fenris-77 - great handle for this kind of game, BTW - let's split it that way!
 

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Joined
Jul 9, 2020
Messages
6,033
Reaction score
13,378
OOC: I think the Northerners are suitably cowed. I just took apart their leader like jointing a ham, and offered them a way out of certain death. I have some faith that their composure will hold, and if it doesn't I have some faith that I can kill them all without breathing hard.
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
6,300
Reaction score
13,694
"Alright then, my canny boys, walk with me to my horse. You'll swear on the skulls I carry on my saddle, and make no mistake, angering me is as nothing set next to breaking an oath to Cernunnos. On the other hand, he will honour you if you honour him, so there's nought to fear unless you plan to be false." says Dougal, gesturing back toward the woods where the horses are. "Let's make haste before this gets any more complicated..."
As the Norsemen approach, Morte the skill greets them "Alright, oath away lads. It's fairly binding let me tell you that"

Glancing to each other, the Norse reluctantly place their hands on a different skull each and the Gaelic speaking one swears out loud to "Follow the Irishman who just felled our leader Stenulf"

There's a pause for a moment until the Norsemen suddenly jump back yelping a bit, taking their bracelets and necklaces off them. Emblasoned with Nordic runes they glow red hot as they are thrown to the ground and melt.

Sighing in relief from avoiding a burn, they suddenly grasp their right hands as Dougal's full name is cut into palm in Oghamic writing by some unseen force. The cuts quickly heal and form permanent scars.

"Míga!" one shouts looking at his hand.
 

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Joined
Jul 9, 2020
Messages
6,033
Reaction score
13,378
"Well done lads. I promise to transfer that oath when you find a master you want to serve." Dougal laughs. "What the fuck would I do with the lot of ya long term anyway?" Dougal's countenance gets more serious, "These are uncertain times. There may me a time when I ask you to take up arms against your countrymen. You have my troth that I will not do so except at great need, but it may be necessary."
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
6,300
Reaction score
13,694
"I appreciate that, but there I have no great love for the Danes who lead our mission. A fellow Geatlander I will admit I will have difficulty with, but will what I must. To our now mutual journey"

He extends his hand to shake with Dougal.
 

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Joined
Jul 9, 2020
Messages
6,033
Reaction score
13,378
Dougal shakes his hand, wrist to wrist as warriors do.
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
6,300
Reaction score
13,694
He's met with a firm grip on the wrist in return and a smile from the Norseman. As the shake ends, the Geatlander breathes in deep.

"Fresh forest air, though not so fresh as home. What do all of you intend to do now?"
 

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Joined
Jul 9, 2020
Messages
6,033
Reaction score
13,378
"Well, I think first we'll get the fuck out of this shitty little village. Then probably a chinwag with the other worthies who form out merry band," says Dougal with a smile. "Brian!" he shouts, " are you done here? We should leave and regroup in the woods."

A AsenRG
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
9,537
Reaction score
10,381
Brian is in the longhouse already. He plans to take those relics!
That, of course, saves him from the display of sorcerous power of the pagan gods...

OOC: I'd received no notification until the one about Fenris-77 Fenris-77 mentioning me, so thank you for that!
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
6,300
Reaction score
13,694
As Brian obtains the relics, the Norse go over and fetch the younger ones who were speaking with Colla. They berate them for not attacking, but everybody quickly rounds themselves up and reconvenes in the woods. Colla picks a spot where the tree cover is enough to prevent them all from being spotted from the docks should any ships return, but allows a good view of the bay from which approaching ships can be seen.

A woman rushes out from the village and grabs Brian by the arm

"And what of us Irishman?!" she asks him.

Dougal on the other hand sees the old man from the Blacksmiths hobbling out of the village, past the beach with the dock, his trousers heavy with gold coins, heading for a separate part of the forest from everybody else.
 

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Joined
Jul 9, 2020
Messages
6,033
Reaction score
13,378
Dougal jogs over to the old fella. "What's the hurry Grandfather? You seem to be charting your own course here. I think it would be best if you came with us for now and I won't even ask you about you heavy pockets. I can't have you getting captured and spilling the beans." he says, with a grim smile. "Come along now, and lets stay quiet..."
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
9,537
Reaction score
10,381
As Brian obtains the relics, the Norse go over and fetch the younger ones who were speaking with Colla. They berate them for not attacking, but everybody quickly rounds themselves up and reconvenes in the woods. Colla picks a spot where the tree cover is enough to prevent them all from being spotted from the docks should any ships return, but allows a good view of the bay from which approaching ships can be seen.

A woman rushes out from the village and grabs Brian by the arm

"And what of us Irishman?!" she asks him.

Dougal on the other hand sees the old man from the Blacksmiths hobbling out of the village, past the beach with the dock, his trousers heavy with gold coins, heading for a separate part of the forest from everybody else.
Brian stops. OK, he thought that wouldn't be a problem...
But then they're not local captives, are they? Those would have a place to go.

"Hmm", he answers. "Let me think of something. I ain't leaving you here, that's for sure..."
He turns towards the Northerner who speaks Irish.
"As we're now on the same side - do you know of any Irish forces that aren't besieged? Has the monastery been pillaged already?"
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
6,300
Reaction score
13,694
Brian stops. OK, he thought that wouldn't be a problem...
But then they're not local captives, are they? Those would have a place to go.

"Hmm", he answers. "Let me think of something. I ain't leaving you here, that's for sure..."
He turns towards the Northerner who speaks Irish.
"As we're now on the same side - do you know of any Irish forces that aren't besieged? Has the monastery been pillaged already?"
"We confronted the king and his main forces not too far from the inlet near his estate and drove them back. Very poor fighters all told..." he looks as if he is about to say more and then thinks better of it "...however those who survived our assault almost certainly retreated back to their farms and we have not pursued them. It is not in our interest to attack inland yet until we have solid dock towns constructed.

The nearby monastery of Conor's Field we raided, but that was simply to take treasures. The monastery itself is intact and fit for living"
 
Last edited:
Cthulhu Mythos - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Top