Mythras: Breifne

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Brian also waved at the king, hopefully with more success.

"White", Brian answered. "I always start by trying to defend the king. And well, the elder should get some advantage, too!"
Besides it's just a game.

OOC: I've heard that the disbalance is due to a mistranslation, resulting in the restriction that the king should leave by the corners of the table, instead of any of the squares.
Can I augment my roll with Loyalty:King? Still a failure.

"Hmmm. I think over and above for the more dramatic entrance." Illan steers his horse up the hill at a rate reasonable for darkness, trying to listen as he goes.
As Illan reaches the top of the hill he begins to hear the speech more clearly. The language is strange to him and he cannot really understand what the speakers are saying. However his learning in mythology allows him to pick out what sounds like an old word for "hunt" and "seven weathers". The latter is specific to the Sidhe.

As they come over the hill he finally sees the speakers. Dressed in a copy of kingly garb with fancy broaches and intricate patterns on their shirts stand two noble looking men with fine red beards whose skin radiates so much as to light up the hill.

Their companions are less pleasant.

Three persons nearing eight foot clad in heavy armour the colour of blood through which not an inch of skin can be seen. Their helmets are featureless spheres, with no viewing ports.

Beside them a woman hovering about a foot off the ground. She has thick red hair reaching down to her feet and razor sharp talons on both hands.

Most unusual of all however is that the two noble men seem to be talking to a black cloud that pulses and flows around them. Illan recognises the cloud from myth as the "cloud of death", a sentient malignant cloud that leaks bad luck into the world.

"Well met Cáit, I am Cormag." He replies, going along with her movements.

"You seem to be having a good time. Rightly so, I'd imagine, these festivals are always good fun. Cheer, fellowship, good food, there's not much better." He lets her swing him around, and continues, "I envy you though, I don't know how to read. I wish my father sent me to the monastery to learn, even if only a little, might be helpful. Instead I learned to farm and fight, which ain't so bad, but we always seem to most desire the things we've never had."
"True enough" she says laughing "Reading isn't so bad when you get your hands on the Greek or Roman tales. I'm not so found of..." she leans into whisper "...on all the theological books, very abstract" she pulls back from the whisper looking around to see if anybody heard.

"To be honest I'm not sure why they let me come this time. I'm at an age where I'll more likely get up to some mischief"

Cormag feels a sudden chill come over him.

"Aye, Lord King, I am pleased to serve at leisure, and if should also serve the cause of the righteous, so much the better. What task would ye have us do? As for this lovely gift m''Lord, I hardly have words. Thank you, and thank you a hundred times over."

Says Michaél, a look of awe on his features as he has never had so much wealth in his hands before, let alone in his possession.

[OOC: Do the broaches have any significant design, pattern, device, or words? Are both identical?]
OOC: Identical and with no particular design. Just both crafted very and with enough gold to be of significant worth

"The hut I speak of has an...animal let us say...inside it that strength alone cannot remove. I want to see if other talents might budge it"

Brian also waved at the king, hopefully with more success.

"White", Brian answered. "I always start by trying to defend the king. And well, the elder should get some advantage, too!"
Besides it's just a game.

OOC: I've heard that the disbalance is due to a mistranslation, resulting in the restriction that the king should leave by the corners of the table, instead of any of the squares.
Can I augment my roll with Loyalty:King? Still a failure.
OOC: Bonaventure fails as well. I think the Loyalty(King) would provide a small bonus here considering you're emulating battle.

"Ah!! A stalemate. Well done, I thought I would win there but you played well toward the end. What say we try..."

At that a strong cold wind hits the shore where Brian and Bonaventure sit.

"Jesus! Where did that come from" Bonaventure says with a start. Brian however facing the lake sees two large arachnid-like legs emerge from the water.

OOC: Bonaventure fails as well. I think the Loyalty(King) would provide a small bonus here considering you're emulating battle.

"Ah!! A stalemate. Well done, I thought I would win there but you played well toward the end. What say we try..."

At that a strong cold wind hits the shore where Brian and Bonaventure sit.

"Jesus! Where did that come from" Bonaventure says with a start. Brian however facing the lake sees two large arachnid-like legs emerge from the water.
"Lord Jesus indeed!", Brian jumps up. "Look behind you, then run in the house, Bonaventure! I think we've got a Weaver visiting us..."
He suddenly laughed.
"And it seems to me, it might be hard to avoid killing a spider today, for all it is rumoured to bring ill luck! Unless, of course, the Weaver is coming just to visit the feast?"
And with that, he started towards the place where the feet had appeared. As soon as he got near, he would address the spider politely and bid him welcome.

Last edited:
"True enough" she says laughing "Reading isn't so bad when you get your hands on the Greek or Roman tales. I'm not so found of..." she leans into whisper "...on all the theological books, very abstract" she pulls back from the whisper looking around to see if anybody heard.

"To be honest I'm not sure why they let me come this time. I'm at an age where I'll more likely get up to some mischief"

Cormag feels a sudden chill come over him.

He laughs aloud at what was whispered to him, "Fair enough."He replies.

"Ah lass, at your age that is how to have the most fun." Continuing with a chuckle, "As long as it ain't anything too serious. But then... that's usually not called mischief."

Though at the feeling of a sudden chill, Cormag wonders what the cause might be. Does she have some kind of naughty thing planned? He can't help but wonder, and whispers to her, "What sort of mischief are you intending to get into?"

"Aye m'Lord, I'll do what I can to calm and tame the beast, what 'ere it might be," agrees Michaél.

When the blast of cold air flows over them, Michaél exclaims, "Oy! Good King, retire yourself to the castle! I fear the wind bears the stench of heathen magic, and death will surely follow," Cries the priest who draws his sword and places himself between the King and the direction from whence came the wind.

[OCC: Can the arachnid legs be seen from where Michaél, the Harpist, and the King stand?]

Illan gauges that this group is far beyond the pair of them. He taps his companion on the shoulder and speaks softly. "Let's move quietly back down the hill and then gallop as fast we can. If either of us survive, we must tell the king that we saw the forces of sidhe hunt."

Without waiting for a response, Illan turns and moves his horse back down the hill.

"Lord Jesus indeed!", Brian jumps up. "Look behind you, then run in the house, Bonaventure! I think we've got a Weaver visiting us..."
He suddenly laughed.
"And it seems to me, it might be hard to avoid killing a spider today, for all it is rumoured to bring ill luck! Unless, of course, the Weaver is coming just to visit the feast?"
And with that, he started towards the place where the feet had appeared. As soon as he got near, he would address the spider politely and bid him welcome.
The two spider like legs dig themselves into the ground whereupon they lurch and drag the rest of the creatures body from the lake until it stands over Brian and Bonaventure.

Perched upon the thin spider legs is a large round body, covered in brown and red fur. From the top emerges three long necks which end in three faces. The faces themselves are green and bear a distant similarity to a man's face. Above each face is a pair of antlers. In total the creature is about nine foot tall.

It stops upon seeing Brian greet it politely, one of the necks bending down so its face looks him in the eyes and smiles weakly.

"You have some guts..." Bonaventure whispers to Brian as he remains still.

He laughs aloud at what was whispered to him, "Fair enough."He replies.

"Ah lass, at your age that is how to have the most fun." Continuing with a chuckle, "As long as it ain't anything too serious. But then... that's usually not called mischief."

Though at the feeling of a sudden chill, Cormag wonders what the cause might be. Does she have some kind of naughty thing planned? He can't help but wonder, and whispers to her, "What sort of mischief are you intending to get into?"
She blushes.

"Well now, don't force me to tell you" she says turning away with a brief laugh "Maybe what the nuns tell me about you men is true. So forward"

Cormag feels the air cool more, as some of the guests begin to rub their arms and legs.

"Aye m'Lord, I'll do what I can to calm and tame the beast, what 'ere it might be," agrees Michaél.

When the blast of cold air flows over them, Michaél exclaims, "Oy! Good King, retire yourself to the castle! I fear the wind bears the stench of heathen magic, and death will surely follow," Cries the priest who draws his sword and places himself between the King and the direction from whence came the wind.

[OCC: Can the arachnid legs be seen from where Michaél, the Harpist, and the King stand?]
The king gets behind Mícheál without protest.

"A talented orator and a brave warrior. Pity father didn't find a priest like you for my Latin lessons" the King remarks, though he goes quiet as the chill progresses.

Peering out from the storehouse's open door Mícheál clearly sees the beast rise from the lake and stoop to look at Brian.

Last edited:
Illan gauges that this group is far beyond the pair of them. He taps his companion on the shoulder and speaks softly. "Let's move quietly back down the hill and then gallop as fast we can. If either of us survive, we must tell the king that we saw the forces of sidhe hunt."

Without waiting for a response, Illan turns and moves his horse back down the hill.
The other man follows Illan without hesitation.

When they reach the bottom of the hill they find that the forest they had exited from originally now looms closer to them, the trees taller and more knotted.

[OOC-How far is it from the shed to where Brian(or technically I suppose "That brave but foolish farmer) faces the spider-thing?
And are there one or two of the beasts?]

Michaél can feel his gut twisting into knot and fear rise up in his throat. He clears his airway with a muffled cough and then replies, "Nay, your highness, no warrior am I. Me pa taught me young the bare basics o' sword craft, but I must confess myself a poor, poor student at such fair. Now I dearly wish I'd been a more attentive pupil."

"That said Lord King, your blood be far more precious to Land and Folk tthan my own, I'd pleased if ye'd stay where I be between yourself and that Hell wrought abomination. You and Lughaidh stay near enough the door so's you two can make a run for the castle and the battlements should ye get the chance. I'll do as I can to distract it and aid yon farmer as much as a poorly priest may do. I only ask, Lord King, should I pass from this realm into that of God in Heaven, please Lord, sent to the monastery that someone may come and give last rites and consecrate me grave.

[
depending on:
A) the distance
B) any viable cover
C) whether or not Michaél has caught the monster's eye,....
Michaél may attempt to creep closer]

"We welcome you with open hearts. Hope you're coming with peace", Brian adds, his left hand - accidentally, of course - close to the hilt.
"Now, what might you be looking for among us, Weaver friend? Our hospitality is freely given...or is it something else?"
Guts, he says - the man who didn't go to warn the others while I'm buying him time! And I'm more afraid of having to kill a spider. Me grandma said it brings ill luck...and she had a story or a dozen about ill luck, she did!

[OOC-How far is it from the shed to where Brian(or technically I suppose "That brave but foolish farmer) faces the spider-thing?
OOC: It's "noble, possibly foolish farmer", Brother:grin:!

She blushes.

"Well now, don't force me to tell you" she says turning away with a brief laugh "Maybe what the nuns tell me about you men is true. So forward"

Cormag feels the air cool more, as some of the guests begin to rub their arms and legs.

"Ah come now lass, I don't mean to force you. Just curious what sort of thing you've got planned is all. I got into all sorts of mischief as a wee one. Putting a toad down someone's back, that sort of thing."

Feeling the air get even colder, he rubs his arms alongside the rest of the guests and says, "Seems rather chilly in here for some reason. Not normal for the season, or even for how many folks we have in here. You don't seem to be feeling it though? You're not secretly a bear are ya?"

OOC: It's about 20 metres. Only the one creature

I only ask, Lord King, should I pass from this realm into that of God in Heaven, please Lord, sent to the monastery that someone may come and give last rites and consecrate me grave.
"Of course, of course. There will be no delay"

[depending on:
A) the distance
B) any viable cover
C) whether or not Michaél has caught the monster's eye,....
Michaél may attempt to creep closer]
As the creature converses with Brian it doesn't notice Mícheál initially but one of the faces not addressing Brian looks suddenly in Mícheál's direction when he is about 10 meters away.

OOC: Up to you if you continue, don't want to assume

"We welcome you with open hearts. Hope you're coming with peace", Brian adds, his left hand - accidentally, of course - close to the hilt.
"Now, what might you be looking for among us, Weaver friend? Our hospitality is freely given...or is it something else?"
Guts, he says - the man who didn't go to warn the others while I'm buying him time! And I'm more afraid of having to kill a spider. Me grandma said it brings ill luck...and she had a story or a dozen about ill luck, she did!
Bonaventure looks at Brian for a moment, gesturing for them to attack. "It'll be some story" he whispers.

The beast speaks to Brian in a pleasant voice, that of a woman well practiced at singing and speaking but in her older years.

"How polite a greeting. I haven't gotten such in a long time. I am here for the king's son and best horse. Do you know their whereabouts?"

"Ah come now lass, I don't mean to force you. Just curious what sort of thing you've got planned is all. I got into all sorts of mischief as a wee one. Putting a toad down someone's back, that sort of thing."
"Oh come off it you, I'm not that innocent" she says slapping Cormag on the arm with a smile.

Feeling the air get even colder, he rubs his arms alongside the rest of the guests and says, "Seems rather chilly in here for some reason. Not normal for the season, or even for how many folks we have in here. You don't seem to be feeling it though? You're not secretly a bear are ya?"
"Pfft, I'm just wrapped up in the conversation, but it is a bit cold"

At that point Cormag hears roars of surprise from the men having the fighting competition out front.

On seeing one of the beast's face turn his way, Michaél freezes for a moment, but hearing the Farmer so freely converse with huge arachnid, he steels himself and and casually walks over to stand behind and a little left of the man, his sword hand down and weapon pointed earthward in a non-theatening manner. His left hand grasping the small bronze crucifix that hangs from the leather thong about his neck.

As yet he says nothing to either the farmer or the beast, yet silently recites a 'Hail Mary' in his head.

Last edited:
Bonaventure looks at Brian for a moment, gesturing for them to attack. "It'll be some story" he whispers.

The beast speaks to Brian in a pleasant voice, that of a woman well practiced at singing and speaking but in her older years.

"How polite a greeting. I haven't gotten such in a long time. I am here for the king's son and best horse. Do you know their whereabouts?"
"Well, it would take a bit to establish which horse is the king's best, I believe", Brian answered. "He's a rich man. What do you need his son for? I think he might be engaged already...though I'm not sure."

On seeing one of the beast's face turn his way, Michaél freezes for a moment, but hearing the Farmer so freely converse with huge arachnid, he steels himself and and casually walks over to stand behind and a little left of the man, his sword hand down and weapon pointed earthward in a non-theatening manner. His left hand grasping the small bronze crucifix that hangs from the leather thong about his neck.

As yet he says nothing to either the farmer or the beast, yet silently recites a 'Hail Mary' in his head.
The beast seems to ease up upon seeing that Mícheál has not drawn his weapon.

When he approaches, the head watching Mícheál eyes his crucifix and says "Credo in unum Deum, Patrem omnipotentem, factorem caeli et terrae, visibilium omnium et invisibilium" to confirm its faith in the Nicene creed.

"Well, it would take a bit to establish which horse is the king's best, I believe", Brian answered. "He's a rich man. What do you need his son for? I think he might be engaged already...though I'm not sure."
"Oh the horse is one we gifted to him a while ago. We should be able to recognise him, though perhaps time in your world has rendered him mundane.

The king's son we have no ill intent toward, but his hand in marriage was promised"

"Oh the horse is one we gifted to him a while ago. We should be able to recognise him, though perhaps time in your world has rendered him mundane.

The king's son we have no ill intent toward, but his hand in marriage was promised"
Brian hesitated for only a moment. Hopefully, the guy wasn't promised to his interlocutor...
"Well, you most certainly need to speak to the king, then! Follow me, please."
And he starts in the direction where he saw the king going.

When they reach the bottom of the hill they find that the forest they had exited from originally now looms closer to them, the trees taller and more knotted.

Illan looks around. "Oh. This is wonderful. Terrible. Bad timing. Do things look different to you? I'm afraid we might have moved to the other world. Let's keep trying to get back to the path. But keep your eyes open for anything to confirm or deny my suspicion."

Illan looks around using what little he knows to find his way back and decide if they are still in their own kingdom. He looks up to note the positions of the stars and moon.

Michaél genuflects and says, "in nomine patris et filii et spiritus sancti. In peace, lady, you are welcome."

As Brian moves towards the shed, Michaél moves to remain half a step ahead of him. On actually reaching the shed, he hurries inside.
"Dear King, the Fae Weaver says she comes in peace for your son and his horse. She says she is expected and that the young Prince's hand is promised. The Weaver waits without, m'Lord"

Michaél genuflects and says, "in nomine patris et filii et spiritus sancti. In peace, lady, you are welcome."

As Brian moves towards the shed, Michaél moves to remain half a step ahead of him. On actually reaching the shed, he hurries inside.
"Dear King, the Fae Weaver says she comes in peace for your son and his horse. She says she is expected and that the young Prince's hand is promised. The Weaver waits without, m'Lord"
"Sacred heart!" the King exclaims. "My time was up six years ago and they only call on the debt now..."

He pauses and thinks.

"Thank you priest...I shall go meet my guest"

Brian hesitated for only a moment. Hopefully, the guy wasn't promised to his interlocutor...
"Well, you most certainly need to speak to the king, then! Follow me, please."
And he starts in the direction where he saw the king going.
The beast follows Brian whereupon it shortly meets the king exiting the storehouse.

"Your majesty, you have polite servants. I fully expected an assault. Seeing such manners however cools my heart, there is no need for violence I feel. You know what I come for and the terms that are in effect if you renege on our deal"

The king doesn't speak for a moment.

"Indeed. I shall get the horse first. Can I spend some time with my son tomorrow before he has to go?"

The weaver frowns.

"Yes but one must come back with me as insurance" the beast says looking to the King's brother and then to Brian and Mícheál.

Illan looks around. "Oh. This is wonderful. Terrible. Bad timing. Do things look different to you? I'm afraid we might have moved to the other world. Let's keep trying to get back to the path. But keep your eyes open for anything to confirm or deny my suspicion."

Illan looks around using what little he knows to find his way back and decide if they are still in their own kingdom. He looks up to note the positions of the stars and moon.
OOC: Give us an EASY Lore(Mythology) roll for the stars as constellations were commonly taught as part of mythology. Bumps the target from 58 to 87

Michaél looks to the farmer, then the King's Brother, and then the King himself, trying to get a read on the King's thoughts and demeanor.

(Perception(51) or Insight(59)? 1d100: 31 [1d100=31])

The priest then turns back to the huge arachnid, "Pardon me Lady Weaver, did you say Back? Do you mean back to the realm from whence you come?" Asks Michaél with great curiosity, hoping that he has not overstepped his bounds.

The beast follows Brian whereupon it shortly meets the king exiting the storehouse.

"Your majesty, you have polite servants. I fully expected an assault. Seeing such manners however cools my heart, there is no need for violence I feel. You know what I come for and the terms that are in effect if you renege on our deal"

The king doesn't speak for a moment.

"Indeed. I shall get the horse first. Can I spend some time with my son tomorrow before he has to go?"

The weaver frowns.

"Yes but one must come back with me as insurance" the beast says looking to the King's brother and then to Brian and Mícheál.
"Ahem. I'm not a servant, but a guest of the King, Lady. Same as you, indeed", Brian says, correcting the misunderstanding. "I was just trying to help you around and prevent a possible misunderstanding."
He looks at the priest and nods, approving the question.
"Yeah, I'd like to know what 'back' means, too. But I'd be willing to come...assuming I could indeed return tomorrow."

OOC:I used my phone's dice roller for this decision.

"Oh come off it you, I'm not that innocent" she says slapping Cormag on the arm with a smile.

"Pfft, I'm just wrapped up in the conversation, but it is a bit cold"

At that point Cormag hears roars of surprise from the men having the fighting competition out front.

"Well, there's nothing wrong with not being innocent," he says with a sheepish grin. "None of us really can lay claim to that title."

At hearing the commotion he says, "Well Miss Cáit, I hope you don't mind if I leave you for a moment. I'd be lying if I said that this commotion interests me, and I'd like to check out what's going on." He lets go of her hand, with a nod and makes his way outside.

The priest then turns back to the huge arachnid, "Pardon me Lady Weaver, did you say Back? Do you mean back to the realm from whence you come?" Asks Michaél with great curiosity, hoping that he has not overstepped his bounds.
"Ahem. I'm not a servant, but a guest of the King, Lady. Same as you, indeed", Brian says, correcting the misunderstanding. "I was just trying to help you around and prevent a possible misunderstanding."
He looks at the priest and nods, approving the question.
"Yeah, I'd like to know what 'back' means, too. But I'd be willing to come...assuming I could indeed return tomorrow."
"Back indeed means back to our realm.

It would be a great honour to have you Father..." she says to Mícheál "...for we have not had an ordained priest in our abode for a long time and our weekly mass craves such service"

The beast turns to Brian and bows.

"My apologies fellow guest. That you acted from your own heart rather than simple service speaks even more loudly of your manners"

"Well, there's nothing wrong with not being innocent," he says with a sheepish grin. "None of us really can lay claim to that title."
She smiles at this.

At hearing the commotion he says, "Well Miss Cáit, I hope you don't mind if I leave you for a moment. I'd be lying if I said that this commotion interests me, and I'd like to check out what's going on." He lets go of her hand, with a nod and makes his way outside.
"Oh just a bunch of boors roaring about who knocked who into the mud no doubt..." she smiles while looking away from Cormag.

"Why not follow me upstairs?"

Cormag feels the chilling cold ease up a bit.

Last edited:
Illan uses the stars to guide himself and his companion and they arrive shortly at Upper Lake with the castle across from them. The place seems quieter than when they left.

In fact they hear no music or reveling at all.

The boat they used to cross the first time is still moored on their side of the lake.

The stable they got the horses from is now empty and in fact the stable boy is missing.

"Back indeed means back to our realm.

It would be a great honour to have you Father..." she says to Mícheál "...for we have not had an ordained priest in our abode for a long time and our weekly mass craves such service"

The beast turns to Brian and bows.

"My apologies fellow guest. That you acted from your own heart rather than simple service speaks even more loudly of your manners"
Brian returns the bow.
"No offense taken, lady - you're from a really far away place, and such details of dress as would distinguish me wouldn't be readily apparent! I just felt that I must clarify, for men might think less of one who doesn't point out his station."
He looks at the Brother and mentally shrugs. Well, it is for priests and druids to deal with outwordly visitors. Unless they come with ill intent, of course... then the lords of the land, great and small alike, would meet them with weapons in hand.

Michaél looks to the farmer, then the King's Brother, and then the King himself, trying to get a read on the King's thoughts and demeanor.

(Perception(51) or Insight(59)? 1d100: 31 [1d100=31])
OOC: Sorry was about to post this then got called away!

The king is stony faced but Mícheál gets the slight hint that he is excited about anybody going whether it by Brian, Mícheál or his own brother as his eyes dart between the trio.

He looks at the Brother and mentally shrugs. Well, it is for priests and druids to deal with outwordly visitors. Unless they come with ill intent, of course... then the lords of the land, great and small alike, would meet them with weapons in hand.
"Indeed..." says Bonaventure relieved "...better a priest I think. Your holiness will no doubt protect you"

"Indeed..." says Bonaventure relieved "...better a priest I think. Your holiness will no doubt protect you"
"And no doubt there would be nothing to protect him from, other than possible temptation", Brian adds. "The king I follow is a man of his word, no doubt!"

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back