Mythras: Breifne

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Séamus stops for a second and gazes at Mícheál.

"You're here by your own free will..."

He stops and thinks.

"Then perhaps you can move around the palace more easily. Do you think you could help me then. As I said there are several others trapped here. Have been for centuries"

"Indeed. Lead the way. As we walk, csn you explain who is trapped here and why?"

Brian turned back and looked at his souverain in disbelief.
"Is that why you pushed me to attack, my king? So I could help you go back on your word, turning me into a helper of an oath-breaker? Say it ain't so!"

I will indeed spend 1 luck for the action.
OOC: That gives you a defense Special Effect as you got a critical but the monster only succeeded. So pick a special effect and let's see what happens :thumbsup:

Last edited:
"Indeed. Lead the way. As we walk, csn you explain who is trapped here and why?"
Mícheál is led out through a corridor and down a tunnel where the walls suddenly turn to a glaring silver with strange spiral patterns adorning the roof.

"Local people going back a couple of hundred years. Most of them had some sort of deal with the Sidhe and ended up here as payment. A few others are here since they took the place of a relative or lover"

Mícheál and Séamus soon reach a heavy set wooden door on the right wall of the corridor, at which point Mícheál stops. The corridor continues for about fifteen meters beyond this door whereupon it seems to dip downward into the Earth.

"The others are trapped in the lower quarters ahead of us, we just have to follow the corridor down.

But I think we can find a set of keys in the room here to our right...They might get us out of here, or at least unlock some doors.

I think once we start trying to get people out we won't have much time until the Sidhe try to stop us. We could split up..."

He seems confident though unsure of what he is doing.

Brian turned back and looked at his souverain in disbelief.
"Is that why you pushed me to attack, my king? So I could help you go back on your word, turning me into a helper of an oath-breaker? Say it ain't so!"
The king grabs Brian harshly by the shoulder attempting to turn Brian to face him.

"Aye, an oath breaker, but it was an oath with these ungodly freaks. Not a true oath between those who live and breathe" he says between gritted teeth.

The king grabs Brian harshly by the shoulder attempting to turn Brian to face him.

"Aye, an oath breaker, but it was an oath with these ungodly freaks. Not a true oath between those who live and breathe" he says between gritted teeth.
Brian was turning already, so he presents no resistance. But he still looks sternly, though he doesn't make a move to leave, either.

"So where do we draw a line, my king? At those that live and breathe? Do we have to keep a word to an ungodly Saracen warrior? All those that aren't from our kingdom are surely suspicious as well..."
A man's word is his life, Brian knows. But he has sworn to help this man.

"I am not so sure on the splitting up part, me lad. Remember that I've never been here before, and I know not the way."

"You said there should be keys in a room near by. Are they like as not to be guarded? And why, think ye, that the Fae Folk are prone to want to keep mortal men and women in their realm? How can the likes of we be of use to them?"

OOC: That gives you a defense Special Effect as you got a critical but the monster only succeeded. So pick a special effect and let's see what happens :thumbsup:

Let's go with Enhance Parry.

Let's go with Enhance Parry.
As the enormous beast lunges at Cormag its multiple layers of teeth begin to spin in its mouth. Cormag waits for just the right moment until the beast is almost upon him and then in a move of near inhuman speed sidesteps and draws his sword with a flourish that catches the sunlight. The beast's momentary wincing allows Cormag the chance wallop it across the face, the pain causing it slip and careen into the nearby wall. The momentum of its charge gives the impact enough force that it feels as if the castle shakes.

Cormag retreats back to the stairs as the creature rights itself from the impact, shattered teeth and blood spilling onto the floor.

"Such skill...you are no son of Adam. What are you?"

"I am not so sure on the splitting up part, me lad. Remember that I've never been here before, and I know not the way."

"You said there should be keys in a room near by. Are they like as not to be guarded? And why, think ye, that the Fae Folk are prone to want to keep mortal men and women in their realm? How can the likes of we be of use to them?"
"I won't lie the key may be guarded.

As for why they keep us here there are reasons I know and those I can only guess at. Many of the Fae here were nobles in their own time before the coming of the Lord. But with little of the common folk of their day remaining they probably want to keep up the airs of nobility by abducting us.

I have also heard talk of mines deep below the ground and the digging out of new rooms and chambers. That requires hard graft which they won't perform themselves.

However I suspect there is the issue of population and even just the cravings of romance..." remembering who he is taking to Séamus blushes "...forgive me father for such bluntness. Though rarely, they do lose some of their own over the years. Lost when staying outside too long. Also many want children of their own. So they keep some here hoping in time they will come to love them and that they may be married and bear children"

As the enormous beast lunges at Cormag its multiple layers of teeth begin to spin in its mouth. Cormag waits for just the right moment until the beast is almost upon him and then in a move of near inhuman speed sidesteps and draws his sword with a flourish that catches the sunlight. The beast's momentary wincing allows Cormag the chance wallop it across the face, the pain causing it slip and careen into the nearby wall. The momentum of its charge gives the impact enough force that it feels as if the castle shakes.

Cormag retreats back to the stairs as the creature rights itself from the impact, shattered teeth and blood spilling onto the floor.

"Such skill...you are no son of Adam. What are you?"

"I am Cormag mac Uallgairg, and I am indeed a son of Adam. What manner of creature are you?" Cormag replies, though in a bit of shock that he was able to face down such a monstrosity and cause it to injure itself in this manner.

"Do you yield, or shall we continue?"

Brian was turning already, so he presents no resistance. But he still looks sternly, though he doesn't make a move to leave, either.

"So where do we draw a line, my king? At those that live and breathe? Do we have to keep a word to an ungodly Saracen warrior? All those that aren't from our kingdom are surely suspicious as well..."
A man's word is his life, Brian knows. But he has sworn to help this man.
There is an awkward stare from the king and a silence in which one can hear the water drip from the cave roof above. Then the king sighs.

"You are right....of course...." he says tossing down his sword, the clang echoing in the cave.

"I have no right to kill the beast. It would be the dishonourable action of a wretch and nothing more."

He turns to the gryphon.

"You were a noble steed during the war...I am sorry. I just fear for my son"

The gryphon nods with a slight narrowing of the eyes.

"I am Cormag mac Uallgairg, and I am indeed a son of Adam. What manner of creature are you?" Cormag replies, though in a bit of shock that he was able to face down such a monstrosity and cause it to injure itself in this manner.

"Do you yield, or shall we continue?"
The beast makes a gargling in its mouth, before spitting out a foam with more teeth and blood in it.

"Then the sons of Adam are much improved since I was last coughed forth from Hell. I am a demon of the court of Mammon, a demon of greed.

Let us call it a draw then Cormag of the swift blade" the demon says giving something like a smile.

Cormag makes a sign of the cross, it is not wise to deal with demons. It's even worse to let them go free. But thinking to himself quickly, he has no idea on how to banish this foul creature of the netherworld. Though... it did bleed, which means it is nothing that cold steel cannot handle.

Cormag cries out, "I cannot allow that. I do not entreat with demons!" A coward dies a thousand times before his death, but the valiant taste of death but once.

He points his sword at the fiend, and makes ready for another round.

OOC: I will start on the defensive this time.

There is an awkward stare from the king and a silence in which one can hear the water drip from the cave roof above. Then the king sighs.

"You are right....of course...." he says tossing down his sword, the clang echoing in the cave.

"I have no right to kill the beast. It would be the dishonourable action of a wretch and nothing more."

He turns to the gryphon.

"You were a noble steed during the war...I am sorry. I just fear for my son"

The gryphon nods with a slight narrowing of the eyes.
Brian nodded, and bowed deeply.
"This is the man I have agreed to follow", he says proudly before turning to the gryphon.
"Let us know a bit more, then", he asked. "Who is the king's son supposed to marry?"

Illan pulls his head out of the water and shakes the worst of the water out of his hair. Then he turns to Deaglan.

"Either I can breather underwater and never knew it or we are no longer in our own land. There might be a doorway back at the bottom of the lake. We can try to find it if you are up for it. Besides, when else are you going to be able to explore lake without worrying about drowning?"

Cormag makes a sign of the cross, it is not wise to deal with demons. It's even worse to let them go free. But thinking to himself quickly, he has no idea on how to banish this foul creature of the netherworld. Though... it did bleed, which means it is nothing that cold steel cannot handle.

Cormag cries out, "I cannot allow that. I do not entreat with demons!" A coward dies a thousand times before his death, but the valiant taste of death but once.

He points his sword at the fiend, and makes ready for another round.

OOC: I will start on the defensive this time.
"A pity son of Adam, we might have been friends, so many are so...devoted..." it says with disgust in its voice "...these days"

The demon lashes out with the claws on one of its paws but Cormag instinctively sees he will miss...

OOC: Miss for the demon. You can simply proceed to your attack or spend an AP for a parry roll if you want to try for a Defensive special effect.
I think with that option presented we've covered the majority of the Mythras combat system, so I'll stop with these asides. Happy to take questions at any point of course!

Illan pulls his head out of the water and shakes the worst of the water out of his hair. Then he turns to Deaglan.

"Either I can breather underwater and never knew it or we are no longer in our own land. There might be a doorway back at the bottom of the lake. We can try to find it if you are up for it. Besides, when else are you going to be able to explore lake without worrying about drowning?"
"Sure thing..."

Deaglan slowly walks in, not fully sure of what will happen. When the water level reaches his mouth he stops and tries taking a little breath. When nothing happens in follows in after Illan.

"Alright I'll search the North end of the lake?" he says.

OOC: You're at the East end currently

Brian nodded, and bowed deeply.
"This is the man I have agreed to follow", he says proudly before turning to the gryphon.
"Let us know a bit more, then", he asked. "Who is the king's son supposed to marry?"
"The daughter of the Fae king. A prince for a princess. Best not to go back on it as the Fae king..." the gryphon starts.

"...is a terrible and fearsome one" the king concludes.

"The daughter of the Fae king. A prince for a princess. Best not to go back on it as the Fae king..." the gryphon starts.

"...is a terrible and fearsome one" the king concludes.
"It's not fear that would prevent me from doing what I believe to be right", Brian answered. "And I think both of you are good enough judges of character to know that by now... but do tell us more about the princess! Is she beautiful? Kind? Obedient or willful? Is she an only child?"

"It's not fear that would prevent me from doing what I believe to be right", Brian answered. "And I think both of you are good enough judges of character to know that by now... but do tell us more about the princess!
It almost seems as if the gryphon smiles, or bears its teeth. Hard to tell.

Is she beautiful?
"I am not of your race, but from what I've gathered yes indeed. Uncommonly so"

Kind? Obedient or willful? Is she an only child?"
"Ha! These I can answer more directly, for she was once my rider and I her war mount. She is kind of heart, though wilful. She is indeed an only child"

It almost seems as if the gryphon smiles, or bears its teeth. Hard to tell.

"I am not of your race, but from what I've gathered yes indeed. Uncommonly so"

"Ha! These I can answer more directly, for she was once my rider and I her war mount. She is kind of heart, though wilful. She is indeed an only child"
"A kind and stunningly beautiful princess for a bride? That sounds great! And I'm glad, for I own a small debt to the husband-to-be", Brian said.
"So when is she going to move at her husband's house? I'm not sure how quickly these arrangements are made at a Sidhe court..."

The boy is a friendly acquintance of Brian's. It seems they've gone "hunting", and the man helped Brian (that was the result if I rolled an impair number, pair was the opposite) to get his "quarry".

"A kind and stunningly beautiful princess for a bride? That sounds great! And I'm glad, for I own a small debt to the husband-to-be", Brian said.
"So when is she going to move at her husband's house? I'm not sure how quickly these arrangements are made at a Sidhe court..."
The gryphon makes a strange hacking noise.

"Move into the husbands. Oh no no. He will be moving into hers. For although she was concieved on mortal soil in years she is already five hundred. Outside the Fae realm she would wither and die

The wedding is to be in one week"

The gryphon makes a strange hacking noise.

"Move into the husbands. Oh no no. He will be moving into hers. For although she was concieved on mortal soil in years she is already five hundred. Outside the Fae realm she would wither and die

The wedding is to be in one week"
"Five...hundreds? Can she even bear a child at that age?", Brian gasped, amazed.

"But young Séamus, have you considered that those kept here for such llong years may have those years come rushing upon them all at once the moment they return to the mortal realm? I'm not sure that freeing them only have death rush upon them counts as rescue. Some may prefer that, but they must know the choice they are making. In fact, how many years of the world of men have you made this realm your own abode? I have seen the heraldry of your shield, Séamus. If that is your own, then be aware, your house is long extinguished. I would not wish to have you rush forth to meet Heavenly Father without your penance complete."
"Also Séamus, have you blade to accompany your shield? I cannot imagine the Fae will welcome your sattempt to free those who wish it. A wise man does not rush off on a quest without regulated thought a'forehand."

"Five...hundreds? Can she even bear a child at that age?", Brian gasped, amazed.
"That remains to be seen" the gryphon says, it's tone unreadable due to the odd nature of its voice.

"But young Séamus, have you considered that those kept here for such llong years may have those years come rushing upon them all at once the moment they return to the mortal realm? I'm not sure that freeing them only have death rush upon them counts as rescue. Some may prefer that, but they must know the choice they are making. In fact, how many years of the world of men have you made this realm your own abode? I have seen the heraldry of your shield, Séamus. If that is your own, then be aware, your house is long extinguished. I would not wish to have you rush forth to meet Heavenly Father without your penance complete."
"Also Séamus, have you blade to accompany your shield? I cannot imagine the Fae will welcome your sattempt to free those who wish it. A wise man does not rush off on a quest without regulated thought a'forehand."
He stops all of a sudden, as if Mícheál's words hit him in the face.

"You speak the truth Father, this is not as simple as I would have hoped. I have known my house has fallen for sometime, but I had not considered what escape might do to us.

I also have no sword, all weapons are taken from us. The Fae possess a smithy below though, perhaps I or yourself could head there?"

"THAT, is much better tthought out, but suspicion must be kept at a minimum, my son. I still have my blade, but if there is such an armory, we should head there, however let us walk about to and fro as if you were but giving a new visitor the "Grand Tour" as they might say. And as we do so, I would that you should consider those most recently here and those most desperate that death upon reaching the mortal realms would not constitute a hurdle in their plan."

"Oh, and out of pure curiosity, what was up with the dessert in the banquet hall?"

"A pity son of Adam, we might have been friends, so many are so...devoted..." it says with disgust in its voice "...these days"

The demon lashes out with the claws on one of its paws but Cormag instinctively sees he will miss...

OOC: Miss for the demon. You can simply proceed to your attack or spend an AP for a parry roll if you want to try for a Defensive special effect.
I think with that option presented we've covered the majority of the Mythras combat system, so I'll stop with these asides. Happy to take questions at any point of course!

Noting that the demon will miss, Cormag decides to counter-attack with his sword as soon as the demon's claws go wide.

Combat Style (Kern): 1d100 35

"THAT, is much better tthought out, but suspicion must be kept at a minimum, my son. I still have my blade, but if there is such an armory, we should head there, however let us walk about to and fro as if you were but giving a new visitor the "Grand Tour" as they might say. And as we do so, I would that you should consider those most recently here and those most desperate that death upon reaching the mortal realms would not constitute a hurdle in their plan."

"Oh, and out of pure curiosity, what was up with the dessert in the banquet hall?"
"It contained an enchantment..."

Mícheál and Séamus descend down the tunnel.

"...that would have trapped you here. From working the kitchen I overheard they weren't sure if it would work on you..."

Séamus pauses the conversation, curtsies and nods as you pass a Fae man of at least seven foot in height, wearing a tunic and a bright golden buckle at the waist. Then he continues

"since you are a man of God"

You now find yourself in what is clearly an underground cavern. The cavern ceiling is quite high above your head with strange lights circling the stalactites. Doorways are carved into the cavern at 11, 12 and 3 o' clock (with Séamus and Mícheál entering at 6 o' clock).

"Servants are there father" he says pointing to the 11 o'clock door.

"Armoury is here" with reference to the 3 o'clock door.

"I will try to get the sword. Follow if you wish"

"That remains to be seen" the gryphon says, it's tone unreadable due to the odd nature of its voice.
"Well, that's always the case even with mortal women. I mean, some do turn out to be barren, then the priest declares the marriage void".

Brian looked back at the King.
"Are you happy with this, my Lord? A beautiful, kind, very experienced princess for your son?"

As the tall Fae passes him by, Michaél pays close, but not obvious attention to him.
(Perception 1d100: 57 [1d100=57])

Once Séamus says that the servants are beyond the '11 o'clock door, and the Armory at 3 o'clock, Michaél says, "Be ye not so hasty, my son. What lies beyond the door straight ahead? And how often is this spot traversed? Remember, young Prince, we get but one chance at this, and was it not hasty and rash decisions that brought ye here in the first place. Even once we are both armed, we are still but two against an entire realm of magical beings, are we not? It is not by force that we will succeed, but by the use of our wits and by the Grace of God above all else."

"I Recommend more thought and less haste, and less force of arms and more Faith in Providence. What is needed, Heavenly Father will provide."

"Well, that's always the case even with mortal women. I mean, some do turn out to be barren, then the priest declares the marriage void".

Brian looked back at the King.
"Are you happy with this, my Lord? A beautiful, kind, very experienced princess for your son?"
"The woman seems fine enough, but to have my son stuck forever in a place like that. It's not natural. Aye I can visit him on the special evenings of the year, but still..." he sighs "...good that she is a fighter at least. My grandchildren will be hearty then. My son will probably have little complaints being an immortal with a beautiful wife"

He whispers to Brian.

"It's not just my son but the kingdom as a whole I worry about. My brother might be voted in as the next king after myself and though I love him he is a poor leader. My son would have been better"

Sword Damage: 1d8+1d2 6

Special Effect: Bleed
As the demon's swings go wide it fails to catch Cormag's sword cut into its belly near the front right leg and pulls open the flesh all the way up to the chest.

A sickly tar pours out onto the floor, steaming hot. It solidifies quickly filling the hall with a strong smell of sulfur, but the profusion comes thick and fast.

"Well mortal man..." the beast says wobbling "...back to hell I go. I will face some derision and loss of face in the Court of Hunger for this, but perhaps a parting gift".

It's eyes light up and Cormag feels his stomach empty and a hunger beyond reason fill his mind...

OOC: Opposed roll. To beat 21. You can use Endurance or Willpower to resist.

As the tall Fae passes him by, Michaél pays close, but not obvious attention to him.
(Perception 1d100: 57 [1d100=57])
Mícheál sees the Fae's belt buckle has a rare coin of the papal mint of Pope Adrian I embedded in it. Worth a far amount, but more so of historical significance to the church.

"Be ye not so hasty, my son. What lies beyond the door straight ahead? And how often is this spot traversed? Remember, young Prince, we get but one chance at this, and was it not hasty and rash decisions that brought ye here in the first place. Even once we are both armed, we are still but two against an entire realm of magical beings, are we not? It is not by force that we will succeed, but by the use of our wits and by the Grace of God above all else."

"I Recommend more thought and less haste, and less force of arms and more Faith in Providence. What is needed, Heavenly Father will provide."
"Of course Father. The thrill of what we do overtook me.

The door ahead of us is one of the bed chambers of the Fae king here. Or rather that of his second wife. His baths and study are within that doorway as well, beyond the bed chamber.

The servants are usually not present as they perform oddjobs about the palace and the Fae come only to speak to the king. I suspect Gwanaddov who we passed was here to discuss the progress on the new tunnel"

As the demon's swings go wide it fails to catch Cormag's sword cut into its belly near the front right leg and pulls open the flesh all the way up to the chest.

A sickly tar pours out onto the floor, steaming hot. It solidifies quickly filling the hall with a strong smell of sulfur, but the profusion comes thick and fast.

"Well mortal man..." the beast says wobbling "...back to hell I go. I will face some derision and loss of face in the Court of Hunger for this, but perhaps a parting gift".

It's eyes light up and Cormag feels his stomach empty and a hunger beyond reason fill his mind...

OOC: Opposed roll. To beat 21. You can use Endurance or Willpower to resist.

Cormag feels some relief at seeing the demon defeated, and elation at having sent it back to hell. Yet that quickly turns once it mentions a "parting gift"...

Endurance: 1d100 68

OOC: Well, poop. That doesn't seem good.

"Sure thing..."

Deaglan slowly walks in, not fully sure of what will happen. When the water level reaches his mouth he stops and tries taking a little breath. When nothing happens in follows in after Illan.

"Alright I'll search the North end of the lake?" he says.

OOC: You're at the East end currently
"Yea, north sounds good. But let's stay together. I don't know what's in this version of the lake."
Illan dives down under the water and heads north.
(I don't know the depth, I'l be maybe 20' down unless that's already near they bottom.)

"Aye then, Séamus, let us proceed. I may be best if we stay together. My just standing around in the corridor will seem odd to any passersby. Open the door, and I shall follow."

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back