Mythras: Breifne

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Illan takes an exagerated breath to show it's ok to breathe as he shuts the door.

"Well. Now we have a choice. We can open this door again and swim for the top and be home again. Or we can see what's behind these doors and down these corridors first. If we leave now, we'll never have another chance to be here. I favor the first door on the right but I'm not going to make you take a risk if it's not what you want."
Deaglan pauses and looks around at the splendor.

"Can't hurt to look I suppose. Never know what we might find. I hear they can't keep you here by force as such. Have to cast a spell on you"

"Fare thee well,noble gryphon. May the Lord protect you", Brian answered, and did as he was told.
Brian exits the room into a cavern with beautiful glowing stalactites on the ceiling. A funny little fat caterpillar as big as a dog peeks out from behind one of the larger stalactites, but it pops back behind it quickly.

Directly in front of him on the other side of the cavern there is a tunnel leading out. However built into the cavern to his left and immediate right are two wooden doors.

From the door to his right he can hear talking.

Brian exits the room into a cavern with beautiful glowing stalactites on the ceiling. A funny little fat caterpillar as big as a dog peeks out from behind one of the larger stalactites, but it pops back behind it quickly.

Directly in front of him on the other side of the cavern there is a tunnel leading out. However built into the cavern to his left and immediate right are two wooden doors.

From the door to his right he can hear talking.
Brian approached the rightmost door and knocked politely, announcing his presence. To sneak around when one is returning lost properth would have been improper!

Cáit stares at him with shock, looking beyond him to the pools of black tar left along the floor by the beast.

"A demon..." she says trailing off making the sign of the cross.

Her gaze suddenly comes back to Cormag with conviction in her eyes.

"But you must have peerless faith! A sword of the Lord" she says clasping Cormag's hands in her own. "I'll come with you where ever you intend to go. We'll need the boats to cross the lake, I hope it didn't eat them"

"I don't know..." Cormag replies to her statement about him having peerless faith, but he smiles at her enthusiasm, and says regarding the boats, "Aye, it'll be a cold swim otherwise." Then, moving to the doorway of the hall he opens it slightly, and peeks around, remaining vigilant with his right hand at his sword hilt, and his left holding Cáit's own. If there was one demon, there might be more.

Illan strides up to the first door to the right and opens it. He looks in but doesn't walk in yet.

R RobBadener

Brian approached the rightmost door and knocked politely, announcing his presence. To sneak around when one is returning lost properth would have been improper!
Brian sees a young man holding a sword open the door for him with a thick head of dark black hair on him. Within he can see Brother Mícheál.

The room itself is filled with several bunk beds. Behind the youth and Mícheál a few elderly people lie curled up in the beds.

"Well hello Sir" the young man says taking in the sight of Brian "Of noble birth without doubt"

"I don't know..." Cormag replies to her statement about him having peerless faith, but he smiles at her enthusiasm, and says regarding the boats, "Aye, it'll be a cold swim otherwise." Then, moving to the doorway of the hall he opens it slightly, and peeks around, remaining vigilant with his right hand at his sword hilt, and his left holding Cáit's own. If there was one demon, there might be more.
Opening the door to the outside he sees it is as fine a morning as it looked from the bedroom. A gentle heat rushes over his skin.

Two boats are moored in the reeds at the edge of the lake. A few metres away from the boats lies one of the giant red knights from earlier, sleeping in the grass.

"What in seven hells..." Cáit mutters.

Illan strides up to the first door to the right and opens it. He looks in but doesn't walk in yet.
Within Illan sees a hall made from a grey edging into silver material. Looking a bit closer (yet still not entering) he can see from the small holes that it is some form of rock.

A strange sweet smell wafts down the hall. It extends for about 30 metres before it turns right.

Illan is entranced and curious about the smell and follows it without thinking.

Illan is entranced and curious about the smell and follows it without thinking.
Illan comes before a massive door with curving patterns etched into it.

door.jpg

"Your hand!" Deaglan says to Illan sharply.

And indeed Illan's hand has a slight radiance to it.

From the door itself Illan feels warmth and the sweet smell is more clearly that of a bakery, but more strangely he hears the lapping of waves beyond the door.

Opening the door to the outside he sees it is as fine a morning as it looked from the bedroom. A gentle heat rushes over his skin.

Two boats are moored in the reeds at the edge of the lake. A few metres away from the boats lies one of the giant red knights from earlier, sleeping in the grass.

"What in seven hells..." Cáit mutters.

"Your guess is as good as mine at what that is." Cormag whispers. He thinks to himself that he could probably manage to get some kind of advantageous blow against it being that it's sleeping, but not knowing what it is, killing or attempting to kill something asleep is not very honourable. He makes the decision to just try and pass it by.

With his free hand, he makes a gesture to keep quiet to Cáit and then being mindful of where he's stepping leads her towards the moored boats.

R RobBadener

Brian sees a young man holding a sword open the door for him with a thick head of dark black hair on him. Within he can see Brother Mícheál.

The room itself is filled with several bunk beds. Behind the youth and Mícheál a few elderly people lie curled up in the beds.

"Well hello Sir" the young man says taking in the sight of Brian "Of noble birth without doubt"
Brian returned the bow.
"Glad you have such a sharp eye, young one. I am indeed of a noble family, as the good Brother Mícheál behind you can confirm... Pax vobiscum, Father! Would you mind introducing us?"

R RobBadener

"Your guess is as good as mine at what that is." Cormag whispers. He thinks to himself that he could probably manage to get some kind of advantageous blow against it being that it's sleeping, but not knowing what it is, killing or attempting to kill something asleep is not very honourable. He makes the decision to just try and pass it by.

With his free hand, he makes a gesture to keep quiet to Cáit and then being mindful of where he's stepping leads her towards the moored boats.
Cormag and Cáit make it to the boats with no problem.

Upon clambering in Cormag sees a light deep under the lake water. How near the bed is hard to tell.

The lake itself is quite calm today and could be easily sailed across.

Michaél is surprised to see Brian and does a double take. Figuring introductions are in order, he begins by introducing Brian first as Séamus has the higher status.

"Séamus, may I introduce Lord Brian Mág Tighearnán, oft times called Brian 'Pangur Fithise.'

Lord Brian, I have the honor of introducing Prince Séamus, last scion of House Eóganachta, lost to these lands so many decades ago. Good Prince Séamus has embarked upon a quest, for personal reasons to be sure, but a righteous quest I can attest."

Lord Brian, I am surprised to see you. How came you here? Has the King arrived with his son already, or has my sense of time been altered by this strange place?"

Cormag and Cáit make it to the boats with no problem.

Upon clambering in Cormag sees a light deep under the lake water. How near the bed is hard to tell.

The lake itself is quite calm today and could be easily sailed across.

"I wonder what that light is", Cormag says aloud. Then pointing down to it, he asks Cáit, "Have you ever seen anything like it before? I didn't think there was anything at the bottom of the lake."

He then looks around for some oars, and makes ready to shove off. His aim is to find a chapel or monastery; his desire to speak to a priest or a monk is simply too great for him to dally around.

OOC: Apologies for the late reply. I got really sick the past week and had to be tested for Covid-19. Thankfully the results came back negative, and I'm feeling much better now.

Illan comes before a massive door with curving patterns etched into it.

View attachment 20747

"Your hand!" Deaglan says to Illan sharply.

And indeed Illan's hand has a slight radiance to it.

From the door itself Illan feels warmth and the sweet smell is more clearly that of a bakery, but more strangely he hears the lapping of waves beyond the door.
Illan's curiosity gets to him and he flings open the door.

Michaél is surprised to see Brian and does a double take. Figuring introductions are in order, he begins by introducing Brian first as Séamus has the higher status.

"Séamus, may I introduce Lord Brian Mág Tighearnán, oft times called Brian 'Pangur Fithise.'

Lord Brian, I have the honor of introducing Prince Séamus, last scion of House Eóganachta, lost to these lands so many decades ago. Good Prince Séamus has embarked upon a quest, for personal reasons to be sure, but a righteous quest I can attest."

Lord Brian, I am surprised to see you. How came you here? Has the King arrived with his son already, or has my sense of time been altered by this strange place?"
"Prince, I'm honoured", Brian bows courteously.
"And no, brother Michaél - it's still the night. The king bid me return the horse that was asked of him, which turned out to be a griffon, and the princess' favourite mount at that...a rather courteous griffon, too. So I obeyed, and arrived here on a griffon's back. It was quite a trip", Brian added.

"Prince, I'm honoured", Brian bows courteously.
"And no, brother Michaél - it's still the night. The king bid me return the horse that was asked of him, which turned out to be a griffon, and the princess' favourite mount at that...a rather courteous griffon, too. So I obeyed, and arrived here on a griffon's back. It was quite a trip", Brian added.
"The griffon..." the young prince Séamus begins but doesn't continue.

He turns to Mícheál.

"This one...you know him. Can he be trusted to help us?"

Suddenly loud heavy footsteps are heard outside the door in the cavern.

"I wonder what that light is", Cormag says aloud. Then pointing down to it, he asks Cáit, "Have you ever seen anything like it before? I didn't think there was anything at the bottom of the lake."
"Old folk tales of Fae and other wonderful creatures living in the lake bed. I'd think they had more than a bit of nonsense to them except for some of the things we've seen..." she says looking to the large red knight lying on the shore.

He then looks around for some oars, and makes ready to shove off. His aim is to find a chapel or monastery; his desire to speak to a priest or a monk is simply too great for him to dally around.
Cormag gets across the lake with relative ease and steps onto the far shore with Cáit. He knows the nearest Monastery is in Tullyhaw which lay about three and a half hours by foot to the north. To reach it he would have to pass through Connell's fort.

OOC: Connell's fort is a small wall protect by archers near a river at Ballyconnell marked on this map:

OOC: Apologies for the late reply. I got really sick the past week and had to be tested for Covid-19. Thankfully the results came back negative, and I'm feeling much better now.
OOC: You poor thing. Glad to hear all is well now!

Illan's curiosity gets to him and he flings open the door.
And is greeted to the sight of a beautiful seaside port and an enormous ocean, the other side of which he could not make out for a bright silver light shun from it.

The door he came through exited directly onto a wooden gangway that simply extended for half a mile along the ocean. There was no shore or beach, it simple sat in the middle of this vast ocean.

Two ships were currently docked at the gangway. One with sails of white and the other sails of silver. He could see nobody aboard, but heard some strange speech from the one with silver sails.

"The griffon..." the young prince Séamus begins but doesn't continue.

He turns to Mícheál.

"This one...you know him. Can he be trusted to help us?"

Suddenly loud heavy footsteps are heard outside the door in the cavern.
"I dare say that I can be trusted, Prince, as any Mág Tighearnán can", Brian retorted. "As long as what you're doing isn't dishonourable of course. But surely a prince and a priest can't be planning anything untoward?"

"Old folk tales of Fae and other wonderful creatures living in the lake bed. I'd think they had more than a bit of nonsense to them except for some of the things we've seen..." she says looking to the large red knight lying on the shore.

Cormag gets across the lake with relative ease and steps onto the far shore with Cáit. He knows the nearest Monastery is in Tullyhaw which lay about three and a half hours by foot to the north. To reach it he would have to pass through Connell's fort.

OOC: Connell's fort is a small wall protect by archers near a river at Ballyconnell marked on this map:

OOC: You poor thing. Glad to hear all is well now!

After getting across the river without too much effort, he turns to Cáit and asks "So there's a monastery in the area, but it's a fair distance to walk from here without horses, and we'd have to pass through Connell's fort. Are you willing to go that far? If not, I'll bring you to my Da's, he'll keep you safe until I return."

"I dare say that I can be trusted, Prince, as any Mág Tighearnán can", Brian retorted. "As long as what you're doing isn't dishonourable of course. But surely a prince and a priest can't be planning anything untoward?"
"Nothing untoward..." Séamus replies looking around.

"We're trying to get the prisoners of this mound to safety. Well more so to freedom. I will attempt to find out who is young enough to still have a life ahead of them once they leave this place and then try to get them out. Would you help me?"

After getting across the river without too much effort, he turns to Cáit and asks "So there's a monastery in the area, but it's a fair distance to walk from here without horses, and we'd have to pass through Connell's fort. Are you willing to go that far? If not, I'll bring you to my Da's, he'll keep you safe until I return."
"Connell's fort?" she thinks for a moment. "I'll go with you. To tell the truth I'm interested to see what happens. This is the most exciting time I've ever had! Sure it's only a few hours in the sunny open air"

OOC: You can head there along the main road, which is a bit longer: Four hours. Or take the forest road which is almost three hours.

"Nothing untoward..." Séamus replies looking around.

"We're trying to get the prisoners of this mound to safety. Well more so to freedom. I will attempt to find out who is young enough to still have a life ahead of them once they leave this place and then try to get them out. Would you help me?"
"Prisoners? What is this about, Brother Michael? I mean, I wasn't aware there are any prisoners here..."
Brian looked at the padre for confirmation.

R RobBadener

"Aye, Lord Brian, Séamus here's an honest man, and on a quest of penance.
as to prisoners, it seem there are a fair few, but we must act clarity and restraint. It would seem that many such prisoners, and 'Permanent guests' have been in this strange land for decades, and even centuries. Yet I fear, and Séamus confirms that a return to mortal lands will, of sudden, return all those years at once upon a mortal man, sustained here without age, gaining back each lost within the Fae Realm. Even though "young" Séamus himself has been here neigh two centuries."

"also Lord, you should know that as I arrived here with the giant spider, she transformed into the form of a regal woman, and she goes by the name of Pellagas. I would assume then that there are others here of Fae blood, yet human countenance."

Michaél the turns to Séamus,"On mention of the Gtiffon and the marriage of our King's Son to the princess of the Fae, you took on an aspect of surprise. What can you tell us of this betrothment that perhaps neither we," he says indicating Brian and himself, "Nor the King yet know? Tell me Lad, we are being kept in the dark about some nuance of import, are we not?"

"Prisoners? What is this about, Brother Michael? I mean, I wasn't aware there are any prisoners here..."
Brian looked at the padre for confirmation.
Michaél the turns to Séamus,"On mention of the Gtiffon and the marriage of our King's Son to the princess of the Fae, you took on an aspect of surprise. What can you tell us of this betrothment that perhaps neither we," he says indicating Brian and himself, "Nor the King yet know? Tell me Lad, we are being kept in the dark about some nuance of import, are we not?"
"The Griffon has only ever accepted the King's daughter as a rider, so the fact that he accepted your friend here has me somewhat surprised...and hopeful that he might provide us some aid. Though a beast in form, he is not fully a beast by nature"

Two ships were currently docked at the gangway. One with sails of white and the other sails of silver. He could see nobody aboard, but heard some strange speech from the one with silver sails.

Illan has decided to fully embrace this opportunity or tragedy. He calls behind him, "Let's check this out." and walks swiftly down the gangway to the silver sailed ship. "Greetings from a fellow traveler. Permission to come aboard."

Séadna Séadna R RobBadener
"If there are people held against their will, I should help, yes", Brian said without hesitation. "But then, if that is the case, maybe we should delay by a day or so to get one more of them? The stipulation of the deal our King accepted was that his son's hand has to be given to the Fae princess. It doesn't mention that he'd need to remain with her afterwards, or at least I wasn't informed of it..."

Illan has decided to fully embrace this opportunity or tragedy. He calls behind him, "Let's check this out." and walks swiftly down the gangway to the silver sailed ship. "Greetings from a fellow traveler. Permission to come aboard."
It is quiet within the ship for a while after Illan speaks. Then he hears heavy footsteps ascending from the lower decks. Out onto the deck comes a being clad in simple white garb, it has the rough form of a man but somewhat perfected. There are no blemishes or signs of age and a dull glow permeates its skin. It comes to around eight foot in height.

"I doubt you wish to take this ship mortal man" the being says in a soft voice "For it leads to death. However you may board until we cast off in a few hours if you so wish"

Deaglan hangs behind Illan, in fact almost hiding behind him.

Séadna Séadna R RobBadener
"If there are people held against their will, I should help, yes", Brian said without hesitation. "But then, if that is the case, maybe we should delay by a day or so to get one more of them? The stipulation of the deal our King accepted was that his son's hand has to be given to the Fae princess. It doesn't mention that he'd need to remain with her afterwards, or at least I wasn't informed of it..."
Séamus smiles at hearing this.

"No in fact it doesn't mention that. Are you sure you're not one of the Fae yourself with your ability to play with words so well?" he laughs.

"Then a day we wait!" he says as he sheathes his sword "If that is alright with you Father?" he directs as Mícheál.

Last edited:
Séamus smiles at hearing this.

"No in fact it doesn't mention that. Are you sure you're not one of the Fae yourself with your ability to play with words so well?" he laughs.

"Then a day we wait!" he says as he sheathes his sword "If that is alright with you father?"
"Me? A Fae? May the Lord protects us, Prince Seamus, I'm a good Christian!", Brian objected most vigorously, making the sign of the cross as before prayer.
"It's not fitting for a prince to cast an accusation like this - not even in jest! What if anyone heard you?"

"Me? A Fae? May the Lord protects us, Prince Seamus, I'm a good Christian!", Brian objected most vigorously, making the sign of the cross as before prayer.
"It's not fitting for a prince to cast an accusation like this - not even in jest! What if anyone heard you?"
"Well...that is..." the prince says with a little nervousness in his voice "...I did not realise it was so serious..."

From the bunk beds an elderly man speaks up.

"It is lad, you're saying he is unnatural in the worst way for the Fae attempted to lead a life in profound contradiction to the Lord's plans. It's not for men to live forever and yet these Fae attempted it all the same"

The prince seems a bit annoyed at the elderly man's correction, but turns to Brian.

"My apologies then. The Fae were more respected in my time, perhaps I did not see as clearly the error of their ways"

"I doubt you wish to take this ship mortal man" the being says in a soft voice "For it leads to death. However you may board until we cast off in a few hours if you so wish"

Deaglan hangs behind Illan, in fact almost hiding behind him.

"I thank you for your honesty good lord. I think we will try a door with a different destination."

Illan gestures for Deaglan to follow as he heads back through the door. As he walks, he checks to see if his hand is glowing and sniffs to see if bread is still in the air.

If Illan is able, he goes through the door, back to the silver hall. He looks around to see if there is anything interesting or any other exits from the hall.

"Aye lad, 'tis a weighty accusation in these times. Even many o' the Pagan Northmen have come unto Christ, and I doubt that was common thing 'ere you came to these shores."

"And yes, it is better be patient than to act rashly. If I may presume, was it not acting in rashness that brought ye here, kind Prince?"

"Apologies accepted, Lord Seamus. And let's not talk any more of it", Brian said.
"Rashness leads to...well, a monk would probably say something more enlightened, but I'm not one, so I'd say what my father told me: that rashness leads to falling into ambushes, making enemies out of friends, making friends out of people who'd be more worthy of one's enmity, and marrying badly", he added, smiling.
"And yet, the old man added, few people manage to completely evade displaying it. But then, we've got about a day without any pressing tasks. That should be enough time that we wouldn't need to hurry, right?"

"Connell's fort?" she thinks for a moment. "I'll go with you. To tell the truth I'm interested to see what happens. This is the most exciting time I've ever had! Sure it's only a few hours in the sunny open air"

OOC: You can head there along the main road, which is a bit longer: Four hours. Or take the forest road which is almost three hours.

"Well, we best head off then. Got lots of ground to cover." Cormag thinks about what route to take for a moment; the forest route is faster but the probability of running into something is likely higher. He says, "We ought to take the main road, less likely to run into bandits than the forest route."

Then taking Cáit's hand in his he begins to lead the way.

"I thank you for your honesty good lord. I think we will try a door with a different destination."

Illan gestures for Deaglan to follow as he heads back through the door. As he walks, he checks to see if his hand is glowing and sniffs to see if bread is still in the air.

If Illan is able, he goes through the door, back to the silver hall. He looks around to see if there is anything interesting or any other exits from the hall.
Stepping back into the corridor the strong smell of bread returns when he reenters the hall.

The silver hall has no other exits and little of interest aside from its composition, the strange silver rock he noticed last time. The only exit is the one returning him to the original hall.

"Aye lad, 'tis a weighty accusation in these times. Even many o' the Pagan Northmen have come unto Christ, and I doubt that was common thing 'ere you came to these shores."

"The Northmen! But they eat their own! You're telling me their savagery has been suppressed!"

"And yes, it is better be patient than to act rashly. If I may presume, was it not acting in rashness that brought ye here, kind Prince?"
"It was" he says without anger or regret, simply a stoic acknowledgement of his own failings.

"Apologies accepted, Lord Seamus. And let's not talk any more of it", Brian said.
"Rashness leads to...well, a monk would probably say something more enlightened, but I'm not one, so I'd say what my father told me: that rashness leads to falling into ambushes, making enemies out of friends, making friends out of people who'd be more worthy of one's enmity, and marrying badly", he added, smiling.
The young prince smiles back and quietly laughs. "Good to see hearty humour has not been lost in the surface world"

He then begins striding about the room.

"We need to decide then what we do with both of you as we wait to take action. Father Mícheál can remain openly as a guest, but you..." he says to Brian "...you could remain hidden or walk about broadly. I'm not sure which is best. It's rare they have a guest they haven't brought themselves, I'm not sure how they would react"

"Well, we best head off then. Got lots of ground to cover." Cormag thinks about what route to take for a moment; the forest route is faster but the probability of running into something is likely higher. He says, "We ought to take the main road, less likely to run into bandits than the forest route."

Then taking Cáit's hand in his he begins to lead the way.
The road to Connall's fort passes quickly enough heading into noon as they reach the ford itself. A small river marking the border between Cáit and Cormag's native kingdom of Tullyhaw and the neighbouring kingdom of Knockninny. However this area around the river itself is neutral territory guarded over by the "River Warriors" who veto traveller's between the two kingdoms. Their concern is not with helping the two kingdoms however but on defending the tomb of St. Ninidh, the one eyed saint who eye still lies preserved within his tomb and grants terrible power.

The River warriors notice Cáit and Cormag upon their approach.

gettyimages-647346693-2048x2048.jpg

"Lad and Lass" one of them calls "What have you come here for? You don't look like a Bard or Judge, so I suggest not crossing the border. Those Knockninny lads will skewer you on sight with their green arrows if you make one step over the border. Are you here to make pilgrimage to the tomb of Ninidh?"

OOC: Only Bards and Judges had legal rights outside their native kingdom.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back