Mythras: Breifne

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Dougal jogs over to the old fella. "What's the hurry Grandfather? You seem to be charting your own course here. I think it would be best if you came with us for now and I won't even ask you about you heavy pockets. I can't have you getting captured and spilling the beans." he says, with a grim smile. "Come along now, and lets stay quiet..."
The old man grimaces toward Dougal when he first hears his voice, but quickly changes to a placid smile.

"Come with you? Why of course. I just feared that in my advanced age I might slow you young people down. It would be immoral to do so, given that the Norse might chase after you when they return.

Naturally, since you had taken the greatest treasures for yourself, I took a few small trifles and what not..." he trails off mumbling.

"I'm not taking you prisoner grandfather, just ensuring our escape," says Dougal. He'll lead the old fellow back to the group and we can disappear into the woods.

"I'm not taking you prisoner grandfather, just ensuring our escape," says Dougal. He'll lead the old fellow back to the group and we can disappear into the woods.
The old man comes with Dougal back to the woods where they join the conversation about what to do next.

AsenRG AsenRG , just in case you haven't seen this.

OOC: OK, so we killed some beardies and stole some of their shit. Yay us. Well, and a witch, so maybe double yay.

Dougal is going to ask the locals some questions. One, how many Norse witches were with the invasion force. Two, does anyone know where the bulk of the forces are heading? Three, how many beardies are we talking about here? There is a four, but I don't think we're in a position for me to be outsourcing the whole boiling the flesh off heads thing just yet. I am go add that Norse Captains skull to my collection though.

OOC: Thank you! I hadn't seen it, indeed.

"We confronted the king and his main forces not too far from the inlet near his estate and drove them back. Very poor fighters all told..." he looks as if he is about to say more and then thinks better of it "...however those who survived our assault almost certainly retreated back to their farms and we have not pursued them. It is not in our interest to attack inland yet until we have solid dock towns constructed.

The nearby monastery of Conor's Field we raided, but that was simply to take treasures. The monastery itself is intact and fit for living"
"Then we should bring these women to the monastery. What do you say, lads? Would that be a secure enough place for as long as we need to? We can then take them back with us, when we bring our report!"
He looked at the Northerner with interest.
"What made them so poor fighters, in your opinion? I don't consider myself an outstanding fighter among the men of Eire; there are most certainly better ones. And yet...you saw what the two of us were able to do. Did your side enjoy magical help?"

OOC: I think we should at least consider keeping the men with us as the beginnings of a warband for this little outing. We can all swear allegiance to each other, have a sleepover, and spend long hours talking about our fumbling attempts at adolescent love.

More seriously, if we can find some allies we might be able to drive these bearded fucks back into the sea.

OOC: I think we should at least consider keeping the men with us as the beginnings of a warband for this little outing. We can all swear allegiance to each other, have a sleepover, and spend long hours talking about our fumbling attempts at adolescent love.

More seriously, if we can find some allies we might be able to drive these bearded fucks back into the sea.
OOC: Yes, Brian might be able to use them, if Dougal switches over the vow. After all, he IS a nobleman, and you can see he's not exactly stranger to warbands. He won't use them to take over...but he isn't quite as trusting towards his kind as he was, either.
And he's broad-minded on other people's religion (which I've read was generally the case with Irish Christianity). Like, he might be trying to convert them, but that would be by setting an example and friendly chat, not giving them orders. (Although those Northerners are weird with all this bathing and grooming that they do...but let's give them a chance to become good Christians:grin:!)
But if they fight for us...well, you know what the Bard said: "For he who sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother!"

P.S.: But he definitely doesn't want to know about their adolescent love attempts! His own were embarrassing enough for a lifetime!
"...and when she was ready, I was already ready and done - leading to much disappointment, and possibly impacting her decision to marry another soon after!"
Or something like this. I doubt they had sexed in Ireland at the time, though, so this kind of stuff was probably unavoidable.

OOC: Dougal promised that they would be able to have some say in where their oath went, and he won't go back on a god-bound oath. Perhaps if we do some many deeds together they could be convinced...

Edit - fighting on our side could be posed as a good way to convince an Irish Lord to take them on too, so maybe sell it that way.

OOC: Dougal promised that they would be able to have some say in where their oath went, and he won't go back on a god-bound oath. Perhaps if we do some many deeds together they could be convinced...

Edit - fighting on our side could be posed as a good way to convince an Irish Lord to take them on too, so maybe sell it that way.
OOC: Well, exactly - Brian is an Irish Noble. Says so right on his character sheet!
Or if they don't want him as a lord, he could at least give them a recommendation.

OOC: So, allies. Hmm. The King or the Sidhe? Maybe the king, although I worry about the quality of those troops. Having the big man owe you one isn't a bad thing. We could also try both if we were to split up, but as we only have two active characters maybe not...

OOC: I vote for returning to the Sidhe.

"What made them so poor fighters, in your opinion? I don't consider myself an outstanding fighter among the men of Eire; there are most certainly better ones. And yet...you saw what the two of us were able to do. Did your side enjoy magical help?"
The Norseman pauses for a period, choosing his words.

"Your warriors are no more than farmer boys. They are brave, but few of your kind have any true experience of war and have little in the way of tactics.

We have raided all the way to distant Rus and fought all the peoples of the North Sea. Without outnumbering us you pose no challenge"

He finishes with a nod, but looks toward Brian fearing he has ignited the nobleman's temper.

"Hmmm," says Dougal, "that does sort of beg the question as to where the king's actual warband is. The farmers might not be any great shakes, but he should have an inner circle of serious and professional fellows." Dougal frowns, "Huh, I can't quite remember what the kings warband used to look like..."

Hint hint Séadna Séadna

Brian pauses for a bit, then sighs.
"Ah well. I don't like what you're saying, but experience counts for a lot, yes. And we've been blessed to not have wars for a while, so they have probably been less diligent in the stick practice as well".
He shrugs.
"But yes, I'd also wonder where the actual warband is. Those guys going soft is...unheard of."

"Hmmm," says Dougal, "that does sort of beg the question as to where the king's actual warband is. The farmers might not be any great shakes, but he should have an inner circle of serious and professional fellows." Dougal frowns, "Huh, I can't quite remember what the kings warband used to look like..."
Dougal, having come through this area before, searches his memories and recalls that the king's main fighting force was:

Twenty-five Nobles outfitted on horse back.
A ten man band of Half-Norse fighters with knife and heavy sword.
An "unofficial" battle druid. Never mentioned openly, but known to live somewhere in these woods

OOC: I see I forgot to post, but my last status might explain why:shade:.

I hope to resume posting before the end of the week.

"Well, with all of that said...let's get the womenfolk to that monastery, then we could go back with the info!"

OOC: did our friend manage to kill anyone? The bloodthirsty one we picked up?

Hmm. Monastery? Sure, whatever lands us help.

Hmm. Monastery? Sure, whatever lands us help.
OOC: Well, we have to leave the thralls in a safe place. Then we could get them back once we roll over the Northerners.

OOC: I'm just checking on this thread to make sure that I have indeed posted:shade:!

OOC: I'm just checking on this thread to make sure that I have indeed posted:shade:!
OOC: Sorry for the massive delay. Work and other RL stuff (daughter had corona) prevented me from getting the time for this. If anybody is still feeling it I'm free to continue now.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back