Mythras Classic Fantasy Imperative getting an open license and SRD

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Raleel

The Lemon LeCroix of Mythras
Reaction score
came out in a DTRPG email. the relevant part

Watch out also for Classic Fantasy Imperative - a free introductory rulebook that will be launched under an open license and accompanied by its own SRD.

well then. Thank you, WOTC, for being so bad?

edit: credit to Armchair Gamer Armchair Gamer for the notice in the email I hadn't gotten to yet (how dare I eat food and not read email while trying ot track certain threads)

Well that's neat. I was actually about to ask about Classic Fantasy. I guess I can wait for that to come out, read it and then decide what I want to ask further.

Aw nice. I love Classic Fantasy. Tinkering around with it would be fun, and any activity that agitates against Hasbro at the moment is PRAXIS! (Sorry, a little bit of politics there...)

1qled9-3136691314.jpg

The full message from DM (via DTRPG):

Between now and the end of January 2023, we're offering the Classic Fantasy supplement in PDF for Mythras and Mythras Imperative at the amazing price of just $0.99. For less than a dollar you can access the whole rules-set designed to bring the Old School dungeoneering experience to d100 roleplaying, complete with classes, character ranks, monsters, treasure, and everything else needed to scratch that dungeon delving itch.

Classic Fantasy includes:

• 11 Character Classes
  • 7 Character races
  • Full rules for Passions as Alignments
  • Battle-Board combat
  • Arcane and Divine spells for Ranks 1 to 3
  • 40+ monsters
  • 100+ magic items
  • Deities and Cults
Watch out also for Classic Fantasy Imperative - a free introductory rulebook that will be launched under an open license and accompanied by its own SRD.

well, sweet, but I'd rather they attach it to ORC.
The SRD is getting and open license it appears. No word on which one yet.

Well that's neat. I was actually about to ask about Classic Fantasy. I guess I can wait for that to come out, read it and then decide what I want to ask further.
at 99¢ pretty hard to pass up. The new stuff will be quite compatible.

I really want to play Classic Fantasy, though I would prefer a BRP style HP as a pool rather than locational.

I have the hardback Classic Fantasy and the softback expansion (and now the pdf). If anyone's personal Venn diagram overlaps OSR-adjacent, old-skool D&D and the bleeding edge that is sexy, sexy Mythras, have I got news for you...

Sweet. I haven't actually run Classic Fantasy, although I own it and have read it. Maybe I'll give that a go before I settle on a fantasy system

I can't remember who Matt Finch is. But we definitely need one industry standard, and ORC is looking to be the VHS to everyone else's Beta.
Err...no, we don't, we can see right at this moment how well overreliance on a single standard worked:thumbsup:!

Let the standards compete, and some stuff is going to be under different standards, too. That's pretty normal, in my book.

...also, at this price, it's time to get Classic Fantasy, even if I don't see myself running it:grin:!

Err...no, we don't, we can see right at this moment how well overreliance on a single standard worked

It worked fine, and would have continued to work fine if 1) izards hadn't implied some dickery in a leaked doc and 2) a bunch of people didn't fucking panic over a single word.

Let the standards compete, and some stuff is going to be under different standards, too. That's pretty normal, in my book.

We need multiple OGLs like we need extra assholes - one is incredibly useful (and fun to fuck around with). Any more than that and you just get shit everywhere.

Well shit. I hope that this goes big. Seriously I got an itch the other day and pulled out my Imperative pdf and again within a page ran into the whole tired eyes trying to read that faded, small terrible font type. As someone who has bought most of what they've put out in print and pdf, I very excited by the possibility of someone doing readable versions of Mythras.

Well shit. I hope that this goes big. Seriously I got an itch the other day and pulled out my Imperative pdf and again within a page ran into the whole tired eyes trying to read that faded, small terrible font type. As someone who has bought most of what they've put out in print and pdf, I very excited by the possibility of someone doing readable versions of Mythras.
After I got through new classes and conversions and such I realized that Mythras Classic Fantasy No Bifocals edition was actually the right choice. I had just gotten done watching a video on the most readable fonts, and now I’m on board for sure.

After I got through new classes and conversions and such I realized that Mythras Classic Fantasy No Bifocals edition was actually the right choice. I had just gotten done watching a video on the most readable fonts, and now I’m on board for sure.
My problem with Classic Fantasy after I bought it, was that you had to refer to and use the Mythras core book. Doh. lol. My bifocals are uptodate, my computer/reading glasses are uptodate. Hell, my motorcycle safety glasses are uptodate for that matter.

Truly and it pains me to keep saying this, only Design Mechanism books give me this issue and its the one game I truly want to run. So much of what I've gotten through of it fits my needs for a none GURPs skill based rpg that it pains me to not use it. It's why I keep harping on and on about, I truly want to run it.

What pissed me off a few years ago was the push back I from the guys when I pointed out the unreadability of their font type, size, faded look. A part of me keeps saying "fuck it, I give up, I'll just go back to GURPS 3e or try to master Savage Worlds."

My problem with Classic Fantasy after I bought it, was that you had to refer to and use the Mythras core book. Doh. lol. My bifocals are uptodate, my computer/reading glasses are uptodate. Hell, my motorcycle safety glasses are uptodate for that matter.

Truly and it pains me to keep saying this, only Design Mechanism books give me this issue and its the one game I truly want to run. So much of what I've gotten through of it fits my needs for a none GURPs skill based rpg that it pains me to not use it. It's why I keep harping on and on about, I truly want to run it.

What pissed me off a few years ago was the push back I from the guys when I pointed out the unreadability of their font type, size, faded look. A part of me keeps saying "fuck it, I give up, I'll just go back to GURPS 3e or try to master Savage Worlds."

Have you looked at the RuneQuest 6th edition rulebok (Mythras before it was Mythras)? I found it quite reader-friendly.

Have you looked at the RuneQuest 6th edition rulebok (Mythras before it was Mythras)? I found it quite reader-friendly.
I have considered it but a part of me gets annoyed & frustrated that I have to track down the older versions that Mongoose put out to have readable books. Plus I'd still want the pdfs for reading on my tablet.

I have considered it but a part of me gets annoyed & frustrated that I have to track down the older versions that Mongoose put out to have readable books. Plus I'd still want the pdfs for reading on my tablet.
It was The Design Mechanism. Mongoose's Runequest is Legend.

It also looks like the difference is basically font size.

...I'm really starting to think TDM should think about including "producing a version of the corebook with Improved Readability" as a stretch-goal for a KS campaign. I mean, their readers (i.e. us) ain't gonna get younger:grin:!

It was The Design Mechanism. Mongoose's Runequest is Legend.
And ligatures, if I remember correctly.

But to the main topic: I'm expecting this to be a Chaosium-ish OGL, full of clauses like "Don't do anything with this SRD where the final product looks like our full-price Mythras".

And ligatures, if I remember correctly.

Mythras Imperative doesn't seem to have them, although I can't say that it looks like font size has improved. As a PDF it's fine because you can zoom it to your liking, but that doesn't really help with a print copy.

They do seem to have learned at least a bit and are doing a better job with readability.

Mythras Classic Fantasy is Mythras with old school AD&D trappings.
If Rodney Leary can get Mythras Imperative Classic Fantasy to feel like Mythras with B/X trappings, then I'll be a real happy chappy :shade:
(Not sure that's the aim, though)

Last edited:
It worked fine, and would have continued to work fine if 1) izards hadn't implied some dickery in a leaked doc and 2) a bunch of people didn't fucking panic over a single word.
1673864880702.png
We need multiple OGLs like we need extra assholes - one is incredibly useful (and fun to fuck around with). Any more than that and you just get shit everywhere.
ahh jeezuz you're too much tonight, I'm in stitches here over this, my missus is wondering why I'm giggling just reading game forums, heh heh :grin:

Mythras Classic Fantasy is Mythras with old school AD&D trappings.
If Rodney Leary can get Mythras Imperative Classic Fantasy to feel like Mythras with B/X trappings, then I'll be a real happy chappy :shade:
(Not sure that's the aim, though)
Yeah, I would expect the goal to make it 100% compatible. Same rules, less options. It is possible that would end up looking something like B/X but without race-as-class.

So, a somewhat related question, are we ever going to see the full expert expansion for Classic Fantasy? The Classic Fantasy Expert Set is billed a taster for something called the Unearthed Companion, a book I have never seen. I love the nod to Unearthed Arcana though.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back