[Mythras] Destined Preview

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Loz

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
As Destined (our new superhero RPG) nears readiness, we thought we'd give you a peek under its hood.

This preview is from our pre-proofed files, so doesn't have the 'page XX references' resolved yet, but it does give you a good idea of Destined's scope, look and feel.

More news to come on the game's availability in early 2022.

Last edited:
I'm so excited I've been waiting for this for awhile! Thanks for the preview.

Wow, I absolutely love this preview!!!
It looks like it ticks all the Supers boxes, and it's Mythras as well!!!
This will be an instant buy for me !!!
:thumbsup:

As Destined (our new superhero RPG) nears readiness, we thought we'd give you a peek under its hood.

This preview is from our pre-proofed files, so doesn't have the 'page XX references' resolved yet, but it does give you a good idea of Destined's scope, look and feel.

More news to come on the game's availability in early 2022.
I believe that if there's anyone who can make a decent variant of superheroes for d100, it's probably you guys, so I'm counting on you:thumbsup:!

Needless to say, I know I'm going to get this with or without the preview:shade:.

That is a mighty sized Preview, I have to say - which is good because it gives you a sense of what you will get.

I take note that the game will be self contained rather than a Mythras supplement, which I appreciate, and I also note that the points spend on Characteristics is boosted from the standard Mythras rules (75 points to spend). There are differing levels, but the baseline Street level reverts back to 80, with some selectable arrays, which is around where I’d hope any baseline game should start. The system is pretty good stuff in general and, for once, I actually understand a Supers game on first read through - although I am obviously familiar with the Mythras rules already. I also like the way in which Powers are integrated with different Characteristics, depending on their origin.

The presentation/art work is a tricky thing to be competing against a crowded field of other full colour products in the genre, although it is still better than Champions Complete and has a good colour cover at least. The writing inside looks pretty good and comprehensive - I like that it goes through the Golden/Silver/Bronze categories.

I was mainly holding out for a re-issue of SuperWorld for this particular genre, but with Steve Perrin sadly passing, this may well be the alternative for a lot of BRP fans looking for the Supers genre - there is definitely a niche for it. It’ll be worth picking up.

I do hope they use a similar approach with Luther Arkwright too, when that opportunity comes around!

The presentation/art work is a tricky thing to be competing against a crowded field of other full colour products in the genre, although it is still better than Champions Complete and has a good colour cover at least.
I quite like the artwork myself. It's well done but not overly cartoony. Being B&W is a plus for me, since that suggests the physical pages won't be glosssy.

I quite like the artwork myself. It's well done but not overly cartoony. Being B&W is a plus for me, since that suggests the physical pages won't be glosssy.
The issue for me, with Supers based RPGs, is that the medium that mainly inspires them is comic books, which are very much based on visual art. It doesn’t have to be colour, but the art should be striking.

The issue for me, with Supers based RPGs, is that the medium that mainly inspires them is comic books, which are very much based on visual art. It doesn’t have to be colour, but the art should be striking.
I think the art is striking... striking enough. Once the game gets playing it's all in your head anyway.

Does anyone else have the twisted idea of updating 'Bad Medicine for Dr Drugs' to Destined when it comes out. I know I do. :devil:

I've ran a couple WoW Superworld campaigns over the years, so Destined is almost certainly a must-buy for me. I'm interested in how the system handles some of the more powerful super heroes -and even having hit locations is unusual (to me) in a super RPG system.

The art? It's okay; reminds me of some of the GURPS books, where it does the job, but nothing compares to Jeff Dee and V&V.

Some notes from the author
  • You can do gritty and you can do silver age underwear on the outside superheroics. We have a whole section on how do play in different eras of comics (lots of unnecessary pouches in the Iron Age) and how to dial down lethality or dial it up to 11. It's your comic and your story so our goal was to help you tell it
  • Superman and Omniman are beyond the scope of the main book for player heroes. Villains, the skies the limit if you hate your players. But I have a bunch of notes on scaling things up further
  • Loz specifically asked for a rule so you can recreate A-Train running through someone from the Boys, so even the high power levels can do gritty
  • It's a Mythras game, so we did our best to give the option to play full four color if you want or something closer to reality, with all the consequences of having powerful abilities
  • You could do Golden Age Superman (or pull off the animated series version). The benchmark we went for was Spiderman. But I made up Green Lantern, Aquaman, Iron Man...
  • If you max out your strong guy at the highest power level and take the right boosts you can max about 200 tons. That's pretty respectable. 200 tons is the Statue of Liberty. I await a tale on here of someone chucking the Statue of Liberty at someone

That’s about what I figured as far as power levels were concerned.

I'll try it if anyone runs it!
Not sure I'll buy it otherwise.

i'm kind of curious about it for superhero-adjacent genres, or superheroes in other settings. something like shadowrun, say
Yeah, that's where my interest sits... I've no interest in emulating comics, but I've got notions that sit more in the 'humans with powers' arena.

Yeah, that's where my interest sits... I've no interest in emulating comics, but I've got notions that sit more in the 'humans with powers' arena.
+1 to what you three said. I don't think I've ever done a "straight" supers game, but people with powers...well, let's just say I like doing that:shade:!

• You can do gritty and you can do silver age underwear on the outside superheroics. We have a whole section on how do play in different eras of comics (lots of unnecessary pouches in the Iron Age) and how to dial down lethality or dial it up to 11. It's your comic and your story so our goal was to help you tell it
  • Superman and Omniman are beyond the scope of the main book for player heroes. Villains, the skies the limit if you hate your players. But I have a bunch of notes on scaling things up further
  • Loz specifically asked for a rule so you can recreate A-Train running through someone from the Boys, so even the high power levels can do gritty
  • It's a Mythras game, so we did our best to give the option to play full four color if you want or something closer to reality, with all the consequences of having powerful abilities
  • You could do Golden Age Superman (or pull off the animated series version). The benchmark we went for was Spiderman. But I made up Green Lantern, Aquaman, Iron Man...
  • If you max out your strong guy at the highest power level and take the right boosts you can max about 200 tons. That's pretty respectable. 200 tons is the Statue of Liberty. I await a tale on here of someone chucking the Statue of Liberty at someone
I'd be more interested to see what happened to the island they were standing on when they did it. :devil:

While the included setting and the general flavor is superheroes, the game was designed to be used for any setting where you could have powers. In the GM section we talk about using it for epic fantasy, a gritty sci fi game where genetically modified soldiers battle a hopeless war against aliens, and a high school for people who summon ancestral spirits to give them potent powers. Personally I've thought of doing a Streetfighter/Mortal Kombat style game, alien hybrids on the run from government agents, and a mythological setting where the players are demigods. Since the power levels scale you could have heroes that have one or two special abilities at moderate levels or near-gods, but the powers are just a tool to help create the story you want to tell.

this-pointing-finger.gif

the author is above editor: this gif is not intended to be offensive

Last edited:
I actually missed most of the Netflix Marvel Defenders-verse, and recently went back and started watching them more intently. Almost finished the second season of Daredevil, it's pretty cool and very gritty
The first thing that came to my mind is that BRP/ Mythras could be a perfect fit for the likes of Daredevil, Punisher, Luke Cage, etc

And then this "Destined' preview just presented itself, so I'm taking it as a sign that I will need to get this book sooner rather than later :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Oddly the Netflix Daredevil show, specifically the hallway fight, was what got me thinking about Mythras and superheroes. It would do the street level stories in those shows pretty well, and a lot of our playtests were more street level stories. Just remember the cover and evade mechanics when the goons pull their guns... :grin:

Last edited:
Some context for that last post is probably in order. In the book's setting most people in the city use an app called Citizens Observe and Protect to report criminal activity, point out strange events, or alert emergency services to a situation. Superheroes also use the app to find people in need or as a way to get to crimes first to help the overworked police. In the book they serve as adventure seeds for various locations and villains. As we get closer to publication and after we will be posting COP Alerts on various forums to provide some extra adventure seeds for your games.

In the animated Justice League Superman unleashed against Darkseid so these two statements contradict each other for me.

I'm going by the Superman the Animated Series version. He was still very potent, but the creators depowered him as compared to the comics. The comics version could push around planets, but in the cartoons he never displayed that level of strength as far as I recall. There were episodes where he had to strain to lift a plane or hold up a train after the track broke, and in the comics these would have been easy tasks for him. In the Justice League and Justice League Unlimited series he got a power boost, especially in the second season, but until that episode where Darkseid was resurrected he never showed his full strength.
Some list the comics version as having a maximum lift of 200 quintillion tons. I'm afraid you can't lift that much in Destined, but you can make a Superman style hero that could lift buses, a locomotive, or a house. If you are facing a threat that can brush off getting hit by a bus you might want to have a chat with your Games Master about their villains.

From the classic movie Superman IV: The Quest for Peace!

In the most recent issue of Batman Lex drank a single glass of a 20 million dollar bottle of wine and poured the rest on the floor just to show he is far richer than Bruce Wayne. I respect that level of smug villainy.

Last edited:
In the most recent issue of Batman Lex drank a single glass of a 20 million dollar bottle of wine and poured the rest on the floor just to show he is far richer than Bruce Wayne. I respect that level of smug villainy.
One of these times Luthor gets arrested, I'd like to see them seize Lex's assets and pay off the national debt.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back