[Mythras] DESTINED Superheroes RPG

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Thanks! That could work alright. I tend to prefer general hit points just because it's quicker. :smile:
My house rule for general hit points was always take the highest HP value (chest) and add the lowest (arms). It's quick and usually produces a good result. As Raleel pointed out you would need to tweak some powers but it could work.

It is about the same. I was wondering whether they might move towards a M-Space style of combat but it is more or less straight Mythras. The enormous number of powers though does introduce a new level of complexity to take account of what the powers are doing, some of which is very uncertain and requires the GM to use seat-of-the-pants ruling.
M-Space would have been perfect for me too.

I have to wait until payday, but looking forward to something to wipe the taste of the Hellboy RPG outta my brain
Yeah I had some spare cash set aside because I got cold feet about another Kickstarter and cancelled my pledge in Backerkit. The benefit of backing something at only 1$ so that you have time to reconsider (I only do this for big campaigns that are already way past their goals).

Similarly, this is how I was able to dive into Mythras so much lately. Saved up, changed my mind about supporting a big company for a nebulous future gain, instead gave my money to a small company (The Design Mechanism) for immediate gains all around.

It's not officially on full public release until tomorrow, hence no full presence on the website just yet.
For those of us who ran frothing at it...

What's the release schedule. I understand it will take a while to ship to the UK but what's the estimate?
Now reading the PDF, wondering about whether it's going to be a new fascination.

For those of us who ran frothing at it...

What's the release schedule. I understand it will take a while to ship to the UK but what's the estimate?
Now reading the PDF, wondering about whether it's going to be a new fascination.
It probably won't take quite as long to ship to you as you think.

Any book you buy from us directly, our Lulu store, or Drivethru, prints locally in the UK via Print on Demand. Print times are about 7-14 days.

Our UK distribution partner, Aeon Games, will also be doing its own print run - although I can't say when it will be ready. Their shipping may be slightly faster in the Uk once the books are printed and at their warehouse.

Also, it’s out on DTRPG now, though I imagine many of us already have notifications from TDM

When payday comes around I'll order the POD and then pick up a print-run edition whenever Aeon has them ready (if it has legs at the table, which I'm really hoping it will).

Working my way through the book, I’ve just arrived at “Passions” and it’s a pretty great idea.
Passions are a core part of Mythras. They can do a lot of neat things if you work with them. In my last classic fantasy game I required a few passions, and required one of them to tie the characters to the area. So Love(person from the area) and the like. It was my way of saying this campaign was about fighting against the bad guys in a very dragonlance sort of way. I sold it by explaining that there would be many actions that allowed for augmentations with passions

Imagine the fun one could have with a (billionaire angst-ridden playboy) crimefighter who has the conflicting Passions of Deep Sense of Vengeance, Strike Fear into Criminals, and Avoid Killing at All Costs...

;)

Imagine the fun one could have with a (billionaire angst-ridden playboy) crimefighter who has the conflicting Passions of Deep Sense of Vengeance, Strike Fear into Criminals, and Avoid Killing at All Costs...

;)
I'd never thought of such a character:shade:!

So, ran part of Agony and Ecstasy last night. For those who don’t know A&E is a full imperative adventure thst begat Destined. 4 characters - Eclipse, Golem, Mortician, and Tortoise. We didn’t get especially far because we are old. It flowed really well.

The first fight was against a Pain Virus infected cop. He flurries against Tortoise in the first round, but true to his name, he withdrew his arms to avoid most all of the damage (he can spend a couple point points to negate damage this way).

They were pretty good about tracking the true villain, Agony and tracked him back to the Husk, beating him there. This got us to the second fight, where eclipse learned that dropping into the middle of a dozen guys without more than a single back up is going to get you a wrecked arm. Mythras numbers matter, and she has no armor really. She did make good use of her light powers to cause mirror images of her snd tortoise for everyone, but this only kept the mass off for a round. Tortoise dropped in his Graviton field to protect her.

meanwhile Golem, the cloud of nano bots, distracted 5 gang members my tipping over their bikes while Mortician snuck in and tried to set their armory on fire. I let him have a lighter, but he was starting much too late and was wasting precious time while eclipse was getting munched.

my group liked it, and several of them commented on it. It was also good for me to be back in the GM seat.

Just got my hardback in. Genuinely impressed with the quality from the POD from Lulu. 80# paper, perfect bound. Looks really good. Good feel in the hands.

this is from a person who rarely buys any physical books anymore.

My copy should arrive today or tomorrow. My review will involve character creation (been holding off until I have the hardcopy in my hands).

Pretty excited!

How does Destined differ form using the BRP gold book or Superworld? Are characters/powers built in a way similar to Champions and other games with adders to modify the powers?

I may have fallen deeply in love with this game already.

My wife is concerned.

Edit: I rarely post in this thread as I only buy books in electronic format which means I can’t post pretty pictures. But I think I should post here anyway.
so what are you liking?

I love the idea that I can do Netflix Daredevil really easily with this. But my biggest excitement comes from the fact that I can now take the wonderful Shadowforce Archer setting that was originally published for Spycraft 1E and run it using the Mythras engine. SA is really a superhero setting, and Destined will fit it perfectly.

I’m also loving creating NPCs I’ve created in other systems and seeing how they work in Destined. I’ve been a big Mutants and masterminds 2E fan for a long time but I don’t really like the whole levels thing. But this does everything right as far as I’m concerned.

I'm not familiar with the setting myself.

I should pull out the hero book and see how it looks

I love the idea that I can do Netflix Daredevil really easily with this. But my biggest excitement comes from the fact that I can now take the wonderful Shadowforce Archer setting that was originally published for Spycraft 1E and run it using the Mythras engine. SA is really a superhero setting, and Destined will fit it perfectly.

I was planning on running an online Strikeforce Morituri game using a modified V&V 2nd edition. May possibly switch it to Destined after I have time to read it and get the feel of it.

How does Destined differ form using the BRP gold book or Superworld? Are characters/powers built in a way similar to Champions and other games with adders to modify the powers?
Destined shares DNA with classic BRP games, but it's based on Mythras so there are many differences. Character building is different, defining your hero's culture and career as well as background events and Passions that define them. There is also a quick creation option if you want to get into the actions. Heroes have base powers that are always available and cost nothing to use, but modify them by applying Limits that add weaknesses or limitations. They can also add Boosts that are used on an as needed basis to enhance or change some aspects of the base power. These cost Power Points to use so heroes need to use them judiciously. For example a speedster can always run fast, but if she wants to reach astounding speeds or create a small scale whirlwind to suck up a villain's poison gas bomb she would use her Boosts to accomplish these specialized abilities. So powers would be a bit closer to Champions but not quite the same.

Things that I've noticed about Destined
  • 3 levels of play, which pretty closely match Mythras Companion grade characters, with powers. I like this option, and that the default is a fair bit higher than normal. Examples in the text about it
  • Sample stat arrays. I think that is a first for Mythras
  • fixed action points is the default, which is new. Personally, I think it's a good move for the genre
  • New cultures, and they are sensitive to modern notions. no more Primitive and Barbaric.
  • New set of careers, and instructions on building new ones.
  • An option for a fixed number of power slots. This will almost certainly get used in my group.
  • Power Templates - how to build a brick or a energy blaster or what not. This sort of thing goes a very long ways with the player.
  • Allotments - I've talked a bit about this before, but I really like the system.
  • The modified skill list. I think it's just a lot better.
  • Organizational allotments allowing you to bypass restriction ratings. I love this because it binds someone to the world.
  • Simplified weapon table. Far fewer, no reach, better structured. Overall, I think much much better.
  • a nice combat action table. about time
  • the introduction of the quick move, and the clearer definitions of move and several other actions. This also includes what movement they can take.
  • Evade is restructured a bit and written differently. I think it's better.
  • New special effects, collapsed special effects, and a generally a tighter special effects table. I like that some of them are locked behind powers. this makes it less confusing and overwhelming as a whole I think.
  • team maneuvers - obviously an important part of superhero play, but they did a nice job of making it work with Mythras.
  • a good section on out of combat movement. I think that Destined has done more to clarify movement in a book just about ever. Maybe except for Classic Fantasy
  • Velocity based damage - aka the A-Train rule
  • ranged modifiers being moved to optional. I like them, but they are confusing
  • investigation rules - good on them. along with plenty of advice
  • base creation rules, superteam rules

Last edited:
OMG yeah it sounds just what I'm after!!!
I was reading the old Superworld not too long ago, and wishing that a more recent version of BRP was doing Supers, so news of Destined was certainly welcomed by myself. It was instantly put on my 'must-have' list.
I purchased it directly from TDM website a day or so after this thread kicked off, I have yet to transfer it into my tablet for a perusal.
In any case I won't do a deep dive until the hardcover book arrives, but Raleel Raleel's bullet-point above covers it well.
Being in Australia I'll be one of the last to get it delivered, but this thread is definately building my expectations

Last edited:
For those of you watching Moon Knight, Tewaret’s avatar looks like maybe enhanced strength, flight with a dive bomb boost, deflect with fast parry and ranged redirect boosts and maybe the active parry and no attack options, as well as a close combat weapon. You could probably just drop the no attack option and the close combat weapon and rely on enhanced strength for damage. Definitely has powered form as a limit. Definitely doable inside the system though maybe not quite as strong or as fast as the comic book version (which maybe was not Tewaret’s avatar either). Epic or paragon. Paragon would give a lot of options, but we haven’t seen enough to say.

So I’m loving my read of Destined so far. I see so many great opportunities for character creation and development. I love the concept of Limits (general and power-specific). A very graceful handling of disadvantages trade-off. Especially because they are so inspired by the source material.

I already want to make a character who can “fly” by surfing power lines or electric cables.

But the neat thing is how the various comic Ages seem to map to character arcs.

I'll admit, I'm very tempted to buy this game. I love superhero RPGs, own many different ones. I've not looked much at Mythras although I DO own M-Space. I have experience with BRP though. Has anyone run Destined yet? If so, how was it?

Side note question, I know there is a POD option available for the rulebook on Drivethrurpg. There is also a print/PDF combo available on the publisher's website. Does anyone know if the one sold by the publisher is also POD or is it a nicer offset printing? It is the same price as on drivethru. Has anyone purchased the POD and if so, how is the quality?

I’ve run agony and ecstasy, which is an adventure that is set in the same world and mostly is Destined. It begat Destined. It was a lot of fun. I have a post in here about it. I’ve also played in a game of destined at GenCon which convinced me. I was pretty worried as Mythras has a rep for gritty, but this didn’t feel like that. It felt like superheroes.

I have a copy from the publisher, and it is POD. Back up thread, I describe it, and again I was surprised at how good the quality is. It’s 80# paper, perfect bound. It feels very sturdy, the pages are not see through. Hardback too.

Side note question, I know there is a POD option available for the rulebook on Drivethrurpg. There is also a print/PDF combo available on the publisher's website. Does anyone know if the one sold by the publisher is also POD or is it a nicer offset printing? It is the same price as on drivethru. Has anyone purchased the POD and if so, how is the quality?
I’ve recently had very poor experiences with DrivethruRPG’s black and white print quality (pale ink, translucent, thin paper). The version I got direct from the Design Mechanism’s site (Lulu?) is of very nice quality (rich inks, smooth, thick paper). I’d recommend getting it through them.

It's POD (but printed directly for us from our website by Lulu), and is the same price as DTRPG as the print specs are about identical. The quality is first-rate, too.

I ordered through DriveThruRPG since the PDF was easier to get versus messing with emails through Lulu. I've yet to have any serious issues with the PoD books I've purchased from either company.

Also, I was promised that my PoD would be of higher quality due to them skimping on any products for Necrozius. I was okay with that.

I ordered through DriveThruRPG since the PDF was easier to get versus messing with emails through Lulu. I've yet to have any serious issues with the PoD books I've purchased from either company.

If you order from our store directly, you're getting a Lulu-produced book, and will get the PDF at the same time, so no more messing with separate emails to us. :smile:

If you order from our store directly, you're getting a Lulu-produced book, and will get the PDF at the same time, so no more messing with separate emails to us. :smile:
I received my book a couple of days ago and am very pleased with it. (AND I CAN READ THE FONTS! :tongue: ). I've used Lulu and DTRPG POD a lot and have never (knock wood) been disappointed. Destined looks terrific. I'm currently thinking about using it to power (see what I did there?) my next campaign.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back