Mythras Game - New Spaces Open

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Would it be reasonable for Lughaidh to know any songs in Latin or any of the then-current European languages? He has no skill to speak them but I understand that musicians get around and he might have learned a few things out of his usual idiom.

Would it be reasonable for Lughaidh to know any songs in Latin or any of the then-current European languages? He has no skill to speak them but I understand that musicians get around and he might have learned a few things out of his usual idiom.
Possibly without knowing the words themselves...:devil:

Yeah definitely. Latin, French and English songs were becoming popular at this time.

Yeah definitely. Latin, French and English songs were becoming popular at this time.

Hopefully him singing in other languages wouldn't look like this... :grin:

Not sure if they translate it, but the guy from the jury tells her something along the lines of "you should be forbidden to sing in any language but your own, and even then - only in your own shower! But best of all - abstain."

To clarify: I'm not trying to poke fun at S Southpaw - I just remembered this shining example of "singing in another language" and couldn't wait to share it.
And I also remembered a line from "Ivanhoe", where a guy says "I can only read the prayers 'cuz I remember every prayer by heart!" So obviously priests have learned prayers by heart at the time, and it makes sense a musician could do likewise.
Just, hopefully, better than the example I posted.

Last edited:
Hopefully him singing in other languages wouldn't look like this... :grin:

Not sure if they translate it, but the guy from the jury tells her something along the lines of "you should be forbidden to sing in any language but your own, and even then - only in your own shower! But best of all - abstain."

To clarify: I'm not trying to poke fun at S Southpaw - I just remembered this shining example of "singing in another language" and couldn't wait to share it.
And I also remembered a line from "Ivanhoe", where a guy says "I can only read the prayers 'cuz I remember every prayer by heart!" So obviously priests have learned prayers by heart at the time, and it makes sense a musician could do likewise.
Just, hopefully, better than the example I posted.

My favourite part about that Idol audition is when the female judge realizes there is no Mariah Carey song called "Ken Lee" and reasons she must mean "Without You". Maybe she was a victim of Ken Lee once too.

Mariah Carey's other songs aren't immune to this. I don't want to go off on an unrelated tangent, so just... look up "Tuts my Barreh".

Last edited:
Player: RobBadener

Character: Brother .....

Culture: Barbarian
Career: Priest

STR:
CON: 9
SIZ: 8
DEX: 12
INT: 16
POW: 13
CHA: 14

Action Points: 2
Damage Modifier: -1D2
Exp Modifier: +1
Healing Rate: 2
Initiative Bonus: 14
Luck Points: 3

Location Hit Points:
Each Leg: 4
Abdomen: 5
Chest: 6
Each Arm: 3
Head: 4

+50
Oratory
+40
Influence, Willpower
+30
Insight, Deception, Lore(Canon Law)
+20
Literacy(Latin), Politics, Courtesy, Customs
+10
Bureaucracy, Dance, Locale, Perception, Sword Defense(?)

Welcome to the forum, R RobBadener !

Séadna Séadna how are the bouts conducted? Did they use wooden swords at the time, or bind their blades with wet wool?
If using any of the above, was taking a hit expected?

..or are we simply going to add an additional Manoeuvre named "Pull Blow", and be well-advised to select it on any successful attack:devil:?

Also, is it HEMA or SCA style (meaning, is the first attack deciding, maybe with follow-through expected, or did they use some kind of points, or honour system, or if taking hits in fullcontact, a KO system)?

Last edited:
I would assume (dangerous thing to do sometimes, but it is based on some knowledge of other historical periods) that it would be wooden swords, and first to hit, with the knowledge that if you do not defend the after-blow, or you double, you don't win the round/point.

Welcome R RobBadener !

Yes, in HEMA we do try to stick to what was popular in history. But there are exceptions, and either way, I'm sure Séadna Séadna already has something in mind:smile:!

how are the bouts conducted? Did they use wooden swords at the time, or bind their blades with wet wool?
If using any of the above, was taking a hit expected?
Heavy Willow* sticks until somebody is rendered unconscious or gave up.
No lethal/maiming blows. This continued to be a sport until around the 1920s. It was often mixed in with other sports as well. It has a small following today.

*Willow was the most common to be more accurate

Player: RobBadener

Character: Brother Mícheál of Broad Ridge

Career: Priest

STR:
CON: 9
SIZ: 8
DEX: 12
INT: 16
POW: 13
CHA: 14

Action Points: 3
Damage Modifier: -1D2
Exp Modifier: +1
Healing Rate: 2
Initiative Bonus: 14
Luck Points: 3

Location Hit Points:
Each Leg: 4
Abdomen: 5
Chest: 6
Each Arm: 3
Head: 4

Weapons:

WeaponDamageSpecial EffectReach/RangeTraitsAP/HPSize/ForceENCOther
Sword1d8Bleed, ImpaleM6/10M2

Skills:
Oratory77
Influence68
Willpower66
Insight59
Deceit60
Lore(Canon Law)62
Literacy(Latin)52
Politics50
Courtesy50
Customs80
Bureaucracy42
Dance36
Locale42
Perception51
Combat Style(Sword Defense)30
Athletics20
Boating17
Brawn16
Conceal25
Drive25
Endurance18
Evade24
First Aid28
Native Tongue70
Ride25
Sing27
Stealth28
Swim17
Unarmed20

R RobBadener
Due to the starting cap of 80 on skills, you actually have 12 points left unspent. Just let me know where you want them

Passions:
Love(The Church and Gospel) 79
Hate(Northmen)

Items:
Expensive copy of the Gospel of John with silver edged cover

Last edited:
"
R RobBadener
Due to the starting cap of 80 on skills, you actually have 12 points left unspent. Just let me know where you want them"

I think that I'd like them all in Perception please.

Also, how do I determine Brother Michaél's age?
Mythras Imperative has it as just player picked. Full Mythras has that you can roll 2d6 + 15 if you want. This gives the typical 17-27 age spread that corresponds to Mythras Imperative characters (Full Mythras allows older characters than this, but their skills function a bit differently to the Imperative characters we've generated)

Think I'll just go with about 24 years old.
What is the name of his monastery, if I might ask?

Last edited:
Droim Leathan (misspelled on Wikipedia I just noticed) meaning 'Broad Ridge'. I've edited your title accordingly.

Last edited:
Just as a bit of pre-entry items;
A heavy leather case with loops to attach to his belt for his Book of Gospel.

Clothing appropriate to his station

Small bronze crucifix on leather thong around neck

His sword

A rucksack w/
A pair of rough wool sacks
A small bottle of consecrated wine
A small store if wafers for use as the Eucharist
A few days of travel rations.
A bowl and spoon
A blanket

A seax of @18cm length for eating and other utility.(usable in s fight, but not of good quality)

If I've assumed too much, just let me know please.

Last edited:
OOC: The concept of step-father wouldn't have been fully understood, so Lughaidh would probably change Ganelon to being a foster father. Not that I expect you to know this, just a bit of local flavour

To clarify, is Ganelon the king?

And for that matter, why aren't step-fathers a thing? I don't remember Ireland having anything like the Confucian ideal of widows never marrying again!

And for that matter, why aren't step-fathers a thing? I don't remember Ireland having anything like the Confucian ideal of widows never marrying again!
Women married again, but somebody being your "stepfather" wasn't really a concept.

If parents divorced or the father died, children were raised by their older sibling (on that sibling's land), their fosterparents (as chosen by the father), the mother if she remained single or maybe the father's extended family. If your mother married somebody else she was off on another family's land living in that man's household and you didn't live with her.

So in the case that your mother remarried there was simply some man she was married to and you didn't see her much let alone him.

Note children were fostered fairly young anyway, to the extent that there were no affectionate words for "father" and "mother" in Old Irish, only for fosterparents. This still has an effect on our words for father and mother today.

Women married again, but somebody being your "stepfather" wasn't really a concept.

If parents divorced or the father died, children were raised by their older sibling (on that sibling's land), their fosterparents (as chosen by the father), the mother if she remained single or maybe the father's extended family. If your mother married somebody else she was off on another family's land living in that man's household and you didn't live with her.

So in the case that your mother remarried there was simply some man she was married to and you didn't see her much let alone him.

Note children were fostered fairly young anyway, to the extent that there were no affectionate words for "father" and "mother" in Old Irish, only for fosterparents. This still has an effect on our words for father and mother today.
And now I want to read the Irish variant of Cindarella...:thumbsup:

Additional questions, how common was fostering? If a kid wasn't fostered, what would he or she call his mom and dad?

Note also that when I got out of bed today I had no idea that I'd end the day wondering about a fairytale, and in fact would have considered it unlikely:grin:!

Brother Michaél's given name before ordination was Fáelán Mac Sinach.
He is just a month past his 24th birthday.
His short cropped hair is sandy brown and his piercing eyes are green with a thin yellow band (Appx. .5mm wide) just outside the pupils.

OOC: I've heard that the disbalance is due to a mistranslation, resulting in the restriction that the king should leave by the corners of the table, instead of any of the squares.
Can I augment my roll with Loyalty:King? Still a failure.

Having played various forms of Tafl (Hnefetafl, Tablut, Brandubh, etc.), the king being allowed to leave from any of the edge squares introduces a different kind of imbalance (because often times the rules stipulate that the king can move any number of unblocked squares, with allowing escape from any edge, the king moving only one square at a time is much more balanced. Additionally the requirements of the king has to be surrounded by 4 regular pieces to be captured introduces another imbalance if the king can move any number of free spaces, though Tablut only requires two regular pieces flanking the king to capture it; barring special incidents).

Having played various forms of Tafl (Hnefetafl, Tablut, Brandubh, etc.), the king being allowed to leave from any of the edge squares introduces a different kind of imbalance (because often times the rules stipulate that the king can move any number of unblocked squares, with allowing escape from any edge, the king moving only one square at a time is much more balanced. Additionally the requirements of the king has to be surrounded by 4 regular pieces to be captured introduces another imbalance if the king can move any number of free spaces, though Tablut only requires two regular pieces flanking the king to capture it; barring special incidents).
According to what I've read, in the correctly-translated rules you would have the king captured by two pieces. It's only when he's on/in the "throne/castle" that you need four, or 3 and the "castle wall":smile:.

Well I've now read up on more Hnefatafl than I ever thought possible!

The variant played in Ireland is reconstructed from combining "standard" Hnefatafl with information found in Irish poems and some surviving boards found in Viking areas. The old research I'd read said that it was biased in one direction.

However newer research says it was biased in the opposite direction (according to a historian I emailed)! Since it was going to be a small mod anyway I'll split the difference and leave it unmodified.

There was indeed a mistranslation in the rules of the Sami variant on which we base much info.

Well I've now read up on more Hnefatafl than I ever thought possible!

The variant played in Ireland is reconstructed from combining "standard" Hnefatafl with information found in Irish poems and some surviving boards found in Viking areas. The old research I'd read said that it was biased in one direction.

However newer research says it was biased in the opposite direction (according to a historian I emailed)! Since it was going to be a small mod anyway I'll split the difference and leave it unmodified.

There was indeed a mistranslation in the rules of the Sami variant on which we base much info.
I didn't want to make it extra hard for you! I'd just found that same info by little research and shared it in the thread:shade:.

Also, I'm now at a loss. On one hand, hospitality is hospitality.
On the other, Brian has Loyalty to King, and if she wants to eat the King's son...
Well, he's a guest as well, he doesn't have to show hospitality:devil:. But he wants to help his host, so as not to be a bother.

So I guess the question is, how much do the rules for hospitality apply to giant spiders:grin:?

Hmm, what are the odds of the king leading Brian into a trap:devil:?
Brian, of course, refuses to even consider the possibility, he's loyal to the man!

I've usually been updating everybody in a row once three or so people have posted, but since you're all in seperate locations I realised I can update everybody at their own pace. So I'll be doing that from now on until you all or some meet again.

Since we're out of the preliminary stages I'm going to bring in the full Mythras AP rules, since all of your characters have 3 or 2 AP this either improves you or keeps you the same. All combat focused characters have 3AP so it'll give you more options in a fight.

I only saw this now.

Additional questions, how common was fostering? If a kid wasn't fostered, what would he or she call his mom and dad?
Very common, to the point where we don't have solid evidence for the latter. For instance the modern word I'd use for my Mam and Dad originally referred to your foster parents.
The only terms we have from the period for your parents are neutral terms the equivalent of the English "Mother & Father".

OK...reneging on your word was seen as the ultimate sin. But does that absolve Brian from his loyalty to said king (given that he's not likely to keep his part of the loyalty towards him, either)?

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back