Mythras Game - New Spaces Open

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Séadna

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
Inspired by AsenRG AsenRG 's post here:

The idea would be a short scenario in Mythras using the lighter Mythras Imperative rules that could then broaden out if people felt like it once the scenario was over.

If anybody is interested the scenarios are:
  1. Byzantium. A local noble sends you to find her missing son who has gotten mixed up in the city's criminal underworld. This one is a published adventure, not my own.
  2. Classical Athens. The council of archons has hired you to find and kill the mysterious leader of a troublesome new group of Eastern philosophers.
  3. Medieval Ireland. The king's hall has been desecrated by Sidhe and a strange note left on the throne that few can read. It promises a terrible fate unless old debts are settled.
The set ups occur in sandboxes I've already made, so these are the starting plot hooks not the adventure you have to follow in any sense.

Mythras is a good bit heavier than most games, so if you'd like to play but feel like char gen is too much let me know. Neither deep Mythras or historical knowledge required.

Last edited:
I feel like if I'm at the Pub, I really should try Mythras. I've looked at the rules and I've played some runequest back in the day so I think the rules will be fine.

Any of the 3 scenarios are good, I think I favor Ireland the most.

Mythras is a good bit heavier than most games, so if you'd like to play but feel like char gen is too much

also there is the skill pyramid method that might be useful here.

I would love to play, but already a bit overcommitted. Kind of got some stuff I need to focus on.

I feel like if I'm at the Pub, I really should try Mythras. I've looked at the rules and I've played some runequest back in the day so I think the rules will be fine.

Any of the 3 scenarios are good, I think I favor Ireland the most.
Cool! If we get two more people we can then head through char gen.

Definitely interested. Either of the scenarios sounds fine to me. Would this be Play By Post, or would we use a VTT?

Just to say Stan Stan and Scuba Steve Scuba Steve , I'll hold out for a day or two more to see if we get anymore but I'm happy to go ahead with two players if you two are.

Inspired by AsenRG AsenRG 's post here:

The idea would be a short scenario in Mythras using the lighter Mythras Imperative rules that could then broaden out if people felt like it once the scenario was over.

If anybody is interested the scenarios are:
  1. Byzantium. A local noble sends you to find her missing son who has gotten mixed up in the city's criminal underworld. This one is a published adventure, not my own.
  2. Classical Athens. The council of archons has hired you to find and kill the mysterious leader of a troublesome new group of Eastern philosophers.
  3. Medieval Ireland. The king's hall has been desecrated by Sidhe and a strange note left on the throne that few can read. It promises a terrible fate unless old debts are settled.
The set ups occur in sandboxes I've already made, so these are the starting plot hooks not the adventure you have to follow in any sense.

Mythras is a good bit heavier than most games, so if you'd like to play but feel like char gen is too much let me know. Neither deep Mythras or historical knowledge required.
I'd be really interested in Séadna Séadna running Ireland...:thumbsup:
...except for the "Roll20/Fantasy Grounds" part. I don't think I can commit to a fixed time for sessions. When I was playing in a group, I basically had to switch the times every week.
I don't think that would be a responsible thing to do to a group of people in different time zones, so I'd have to turn the offer down:shade:.
I'd hope you'd upload the episodes on Youtube, though.

I'd be really interested in Séadna Séadna running Ireland...:thumbsup:
...except for the "Roll20/Fantasy Grounds" part. I don't think I can commit to a fixed time for sessions. When I was playing in a group, I basically had to switch the times every week.
I don't think that would be a responsible thing to do to a group of people in different time zones, so I'd have to turn the offer down:shade:.
I'd hope you'd upload the episodes on Youtube, though.
Oh it's play by post here not Roll20 or Fantasy Grounds. I've never even used them :grin:

Oh it's play by post here not Roll20 or Fantasy Grounds. I've never even used them :grin:
I'm in:grin:!

Can I vote for Mythic Ireland? You've persuaded me you know more than you'd actually get from most RPG settings!

I'd be down for sure, particularly for an Irish setting but feel like I have enough online games running right now. Can't believe our PbP Traveller game hasn't ended in disaster yet.

I'd be down for sure, particularly for an Irish setting but feel like I have enough online games running right now. Can't believe our PbP Traveller game hasn't ended in disaster yet.
Why are you even surprised? Traveller is amazingly resilient in PbP, and Dumarest Dumarest is a skilled Referee...even if he likes some dark comedy at our expense:grin:!
My longest-standing PbP Traveller game has recently had a 3rd anniversary:shade:. (And we're looking for a new player again, in case anyone looking to join a fast-moving Traveller game:tongue:!)

Last edited:
Yeah I know! Hopefully you'll get us through that asteroid field!

If this goes on long enough and you want to hope in at any point feel free.

Yeah I know! Hopefully you'll get us through that asteroid field!

If this goes on long enough and you want to hope in at any point feel free.
Why are you even surprised? Traveller is amazingly resilient in PbP, and Dumarest Dumarest is a skilled Referee...even if he likes some dark comedy at our expense:grin:!
My longest-standing PbP Traveller game has recently had a 3rd anniversary:shade:. (And we're looking for a new player again, in case anyone looking to join a fast-moving Traveller game:tongue:!)
I can fudge some rolls and let you crash into a :sun: if you want to get out of it...

Okay so here are the char gen rules.

As mentioned above we are not using the full Mythras rules, but rather the simpler Mythras Imperative rules available here.

However Medieval Ireland simplifies this a good bit. To sum it up generate the stats with either random rolling or point allocation as laid out in step 2 (use 79 points instead of the books 75) on page four. Then work out the derived stats as in Step 3. After that come back here and pick a career below:
  1. Crafter
  2. Druid
  3. Harpist
  4. Farmer
  5. Judge
  6. Physician
  7. Priest
  8. Scholar (In game you'll be a Poet or Historian, depending on which Lore skill you have higher)
  9. Noble
Here are their skills. I have skills available to every career under "Common Skills". Note only Farmer and Noble can fight in any real sense as only they have combat skills

Standard Skills: Athletics, Brawn, Endurance, First Aid, Locale, Perception; and either Boating or Ride. Combat Style(Sword Defense)
Professional Skills: Craft (any), Healing, Lore (any), Musicianship, Navigate, Seamanship, Survival, Track.

Standard Skills: Brawn, Drive, Influence, Insight, Locale, Perception, Willpower
Professional Skills: Commerce, Craft (Primary), Craft (Secondary), Engineering, Mechanisms, Streetwise

Standard Skills: Brawn, Drive, Influence, Insight, Locale, Perception, Willpower
Professional Skills: Art (Spell), Commerce, Craft (Potions), Oratory, Mechanisms, Streetwise

Standard Skills: Athletics, Brawn, Dance, Deceit, Influence, Insight, Sing
Professional Skills: Courtesy, Acting, Oratory, Musicianship(Harp), Seduction, Sleight, Streetwise

Standard Skills: Athletics, Brawn, Drive, Endurance, Locale, Perception, Ride
Professional Skills: Combat Style(Kern), Craft (any), Lore (Agriculture), Lore (Animal Husbandry), Navigation, Survival, Track

Standard Skills: Customs, Deceit, Influence, Insight, Locale, Perception, Willpower
Professional Skills: Bureaucracy, Commerce, Courtesy, Language (any), Literacy, Lore(Native Law), Oratory

Standard Skills: Dance, First Aid, Influence, Insight, Locale, Sing, Willpower
Professional Skills: Commerce, Craft (Specific Physiological Specialty), Healing, Language (any), Literacy (any), Streetwise

Standard Skills: Customs, Dance, Deceit, Influence, Insight, Locale, Willpower
Professional Skills: Bureaucracy, Courtesy, Customs, Literacy (any), Lore (Canon Law), Oratory, Politics

Standard Skills: Customs, Influence, Insight, Locale, Native Tongue, Perception, Willpower
Professional Skills: Culture (any), Language (any), Literacy (any), Lore (Poetry), Lore (History), Oratory, Teach

Standard Skills: Customs, Deceit, Influence, Insight, Locale, Native Tongue, Perception
Professional Skills: Bureaucracy, Courtesy, Lore(Raid Tactics), Combat Style(Horseman), Lore (Poetry), Oratory, Politics

With the career picked, add points to 15 skills as follows:

1 skill gets +50%
2 skills get +40%
3 skills get +30%
4 skills get +20%
5 skills get +10%

Some of skills say "any" or "Primary/Secondary" meaning you take a specialty. Here are the lists:
Language: Greek, Latin
Literacy: Greek, Latin, Gaelic
Craft: Blacksmithing, Coppersmithing, Goldsmithing, Carpentry, Chariot Builder, Engraver, Potions

Standard Skill means one where your basic characteristics give you a base percentage in it.
Professional Skill means one where you default to 0% unless you put points into it.

Last edited:
If anybody wants help just say so. Also no deep knowledge of how these careers work in the setting is needed.

I'm feeling a Harpist with some Face skills. Do you have a preferred format for character sheets?

Question; we all get the listed common skills? What if the skill is also in the career's standard skills? Additionally, what time period of Ireland will this be set (helps me in figuring out a name).

Last edited:
I rolled 3d6 (and 2d6+6) in order got nothing bad. I'm thinking of being a crafter, maybe a brewer who shifted over to potions.

str 11
con 15
siz 14
dex 11
int 14
pow 12
cha 13

I rolled 3d6 (and 2d6+6) in order got nothing bad. I'm thinking of being a crafter, maybe a brewer who shifted over to potions.

str 11
con 15
siz 14
dex 11
int 14
pow 12
cha 13

that's a very solid set of rolls. damage bonus, hp bonus, xp bonus. no real limits there at all!

Séadna Séadna you using the 80 point cap with the pyramid?

Question; we all get the listed common skills? What if the skill is also in the career's standard skills? Additionally, what time period of Ireland will this be set (helps me in figuring out a name).
  1. All the common skils are available for giving points to, i.e. the +50%, 40% etc given above.

2. If a skill is listed in your career as well as the common skills it doesn't really mean anything. Mythras in full has people coming from various Cultural backgrounds, e.g. Barbarian, Civilised, Nomadic. However in Ireland everybody belongs to "Barbarian" so that's where all the Common skills are coming from.

3. The time period is the Gaelic Golden Age (1014-1169). After the Viking power had been broken but before the coming of the Normans.

I'm feeling a Harpist with some Face skills. Do you have a preferred format for character sheets?
Any format is fine. Usually in the PbP here we just list out the stats like:

STR 11
CON 15
SIZ 14
DEX 11
INT 14
POW 12
CHA 13

For skills it's fine if you want to just list the ones you've added to like:
Courtesy +40%
Acting +20%
and so on

I can then work out the overall result.

Like this?

STR: 9
CON: 10
SIZ: 11
DEX: 12
INT 13
POW: 11
CHA: 14

Sing

Musicianship (Harp)
Oratory

Deceit
Influence
Insight

Dance
Perception
Courtesy
Endurance

Athletics
First Aid
Ride
Brawn
Streetwise

Also - how do you do that click for spoiler thing? (Edit - Thanks Stan!)

Last edited:
Also - how do you do that click for spoiler thing?
When you are writing/editing, click on the down arrow with 3 dots to its left. One of the drop down options is spoiler. If you have the section you want hidden highlighted, it'll drop the tags at the beginning and end of the highlighted area.

Hopefully I did this right.

Player: Scuba Steve

Character: Cormag an Einigh mac Uallgairg (Cormag "the Hospitable" son of Uallgairg)

Culture: ‘Barbarian’
Career: Farmer

STR: 10
CON: 14
SIZ: 16
DEX: 13
INT: 12
POW: 15
CHA: 12

Action Points: 2
Damage Modifier: +1d2
Exp Modifier: 0
Healing Rate: 3
Initiative Bonus: 12.5 (not sure if I did this right)
Luck Points: 3
Magic/Power Pts:

Location Hit Points:
Right Leg: 6
Left Leg: 6
Abdomen: 7
Chest: 8
Right Arm: 5
Left Arm: 5
Head: 6

Skills:

Athletics: +10%
Brawn: +40%
Drive: +10%
Endurance: +10%
Locale: +20%
Perception: +30%
Ride: +20%
First Aid: +30%
Craft (Blacksmithing): +10%
Lore (Agriculture): +40%
Lore (Animal Husbandry): +20%
Navigation: +20%
Survival: +30%
Track: +10%

Combat Style(s):
Combat Style (Kern): +50% (is this right?)

Last edited:
That looks fine to me Scuba Steve Scuba Steve . I'll give it a more detailed look and see if there's any minor stuff, but basically looks good to go.

@Seadna how do you want us to roll?
I'd prefer you to name a dieroller, because when I roll without one, I usually get statistically unlikely rolls. And then I don't even want to mention them because I'd look like a total munchkin, so I roll again:grin:!

@Seadna how do you want us to roll?
I'd prefer you to name a dieroller, because when I roll without one, I usually get statistically unlikely rolls. And then I don't even want to mention them because I'd look like a total munchkin, so I roll again:grin:!
This one is good with me:

With long skill lists, I wind up dithering for a while but i think I got it.
He's sort of a blue collar physician, with potions and healing but would never have read a theoretical treatise on it, especially not a foreign one.
He might musically accompany Southpaw's character when he sings or plays the harp, but he's definitely a backup musician

My knowledge of medieval Ireland is below that of Wikipedia but I'm guessing it would be a very small court (not quite as grand the one in Beowulf) so he might live with and/or be related to the king and picked up a few things and observed things getting made but lacks the formal education of priest or scholar.

Crafter

+50
craft potions

+40
first aid
Heal

+30
cultural combat style (not sure if there are subcategories beyond Irish)
insight
lore (mythology)

+20
Perception
Willpower
commerce
music (flute)

+10
influence
locale
engineering
mechanisms
streeetwise

This one is good with me:

And now you know why I want to roll with a roller. Rolling 6,15, 15, 16, 17 on 3d6 and 10, 13 on 2d6+6, anyone:grin:?

I need to consider where I want to put the 6, and whether to put the 10 in Int or Siz, but I'll do that tomorrow.

My knowledge of medieval Ireland is below that of Wikipedia but I'm guessing it would be a very small court (not quite as grand the one in Beowulf) so he might live with and/or be related to the king and picked up a few things and observed things getting made but lacks the formal education of priest or scholar.
That's exactly correct. I'll have a short bit in the first post to set up the culture and I'll tie down one or two things about your characters tomorrow, but basically yeah. The king is just the local "big guy" with a house about 1,500 sq. ft. So as a physician you'd live with him in one of the spare rooms, I'll probably have you as a younger cousin.

cultural combat style (not sure if there are subcategories beyond Irish)
Sorry edited that there now. That's correct. There's only Combat Style(Sword Defense) which is a sort of a Irish styled generic "handling yourself with a sword". Only Farmer and Noble have more focused genuine combat styles.

Last edited:
Here S Southpaw is a more complete character sheet

STR: 9
CON: 10
SIZ: 11
DEX: 12
INT 13
POW: 11
CHA: 14

Action Points: 3
Damage Modifier: -1D2
Initiative Bonus: 13
Experience Modifier: +1
Healing Rate: 2
Luck Points: 2
Movement Rate: 6

Hit Points:
Head: 5
Chest: 7
Abdomen: 6
Each Arm: 4
Each Leg: 5

Weapons:
WeaponDamageSpecial EffectReach/RangeTraitsAP/HPSize/ForceENCOther
Sword1d8Bleed, ImpaleM6/10M2

Skills:
Sing75
Musicianship(Harp)66
Oratory65
Deceit57
Influence58
Insight54
Dance46
Perception44
Courtesy47
Endurance40
Athletics31
First Aid35
Ride33
Brawn30
Streetwise35
Boating19
Customs66
Drive23
Evade24
Locale26
Native Tongue67
Stealth25
Swim19
Unarmed21
Willpower22
Combat Style(Sword Defence)21

Passions:
Loyalty(King) 75
Hate(Vikings) 62

Last edited:
Okay Scuba Steve Scuba Steve that was basically all correct. I've just reformatted it a little.

Player: Scuba Steve

Character: Cormag an Einigh mac Uallgairg (Cormag "the Hospitable" son of Uallgairg)

Culture: ‘Barbarian’
Career: Farmer

STR: 10
CON: 14
SIZ: 16
DEX: 13
INT: 12
POW: 15
CHA: 12

Action Points: 3
Damage Modifier: +1d2
Exp Modifier: +1