[Mythras] Mythic Babylon Now Available

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Loz

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
In the year 1765 BC, King Zimri-Lim of Mari emerged from a planning session with his aides and summoned his personal scribe. As he paced the courtyard in his palace in the city of Tuttul, he dictated a letter to the scribe, who used the cut end of a reed to press the message into a warm clay tablet. That letter, which was to be sent within the hour by speedy messenger, said:

"To my wife, Šibtu, thus says Zimri-Lim: Ask the oracles in Mari questions about Hammurabi of Babylon. Will this man ever die? Does he speak with honesty? Will he bring war? Will he besiege my cities in Suhum while I campaign up north in Apum? Question the oracles, and when you have done so, do it again, and write to me with the answers."
Some days later, the Queen of Mari replied:

"I have asked the questions about Babylon; here is what I've learned. The Man of Babylon is sowing many seeds against this kingdom, but they will not bear fruit. Instead, you will overpower him and capture him. Then you'll see what the God will do to him. His days will soon be at an end. This you should know."

Reassured, King Zimri-Lim organised his troops for departure to the district of Apum. He planned to give battle to the adventurer Atamrum, puppet of the Elamites, who was besieging his allies in the north.

What is Mythic Babylon?
Mythic Babylon is a role-playing supplement for the Mythras game system. It provides everything you need to take your Mythras game back to the 18th century BC and enter a world of cut-throat diplomacy, Machiavellian politics, and ecstatic prophets. Within these covers you'll find information on the society, culture, religion, trade, laws, and beliefs of Old Babylon and the surrounding lands. The setting is presented as a sand-box with a wide-ranging gazetteer of places to explore, each loaded with plot hooks. For those who like to play against the backdrop of history, we provide a timeline of past and near future events. A bestiary and a chapter for game masters rounds out the end of the book.

This book contains everything you need to create adventures in the lands of Sumer, Akkad, and Subartu from the low lying Eden to the Cedar Mountains and even into the Underworld. Follow in the steps of kings like Gilgameš, Kubaba, or Hammurabi in this mythological and historical setting that was nearly 4000 years in the making.

Where is Mythic Babylon?
Mythic Babylon is set in what will later be called Mesopotamia by the Greeks, which means 'The Land Between the Rivers', referring to the Tigris and Euphrates. At the time our book is set, there is no one name for the whole region. Instead, the southern plain is called Sumer and the central plain is called Akkad. Together, these will one day be called Babylonia after the city of Babylon. The northern plain is called Subartu, but will one day come to be called Assyria after the city of Aššur.

This book focuses on Sumer, Akkad, and Subartu. Peripheral regions such as ancient Syria, Turkey, Iran, and Bahrain are given a more cursory treatment.

Expertly illustrated by James Turpin, Mythic Babylon is available in a variety of print on demand (POD) hardcover and softcover formats, plus a PDF version, from DrivethruRPG, Lulu, and the TDM Store. Aeon Games are preparing their own edition for the UK and Europe. The print version comes with the PDF free of charge, and an additional PDF package of maps at no extra charge.

332 pages. From $17.99 (PDF) to $44.99 (hardcover).

DrivethruRPG: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/355333/Mythic-Babylon

Lulu: Hardcover - https://www.lulu.com/en/ca/shop/pau...rdcover/product-4dz4v4.html?page=1&pageSize=4

Lulu: Softcover - https://www.lulu.com/en/ca/shop/pau...perback/product-7z92qz.html?page=1&pageSize=4

TDM Store - http://thedesignmechanism.com/store.php#!/Mythic-Babylon/p/367787033/category=24197109

Mythic Babylon Small.png

I was just about to make a post about this very thing!

Looks excellent. I will have to wait until payday before I get the premium color hardcover. That's less than two weeks away... yet that seems so long right now!

Thank you! A word of caution on the DTRPG Premium Colour... LightningSource are increasing their premium colour prices by about 40%, depending on where you are (the UK isn't affected, I believe) in July. This was announced after we'd prepared the premium colour print file, so we added the Standard Colour options too, which are more reasonably priced and not affected by this unexpected price-hike.

Thank you! A word of caution on the DTRPG Premium Colour... LightningSource are increasing their premium colour prices by about 40%, depending on where you are (the UK isn't affected, I believe) in July. This was announced after we'd prepared the premium colour print file, so we added the Standard Colour options too, which are more reasonably priced and not affected by this unexpected price-hike.
I was aware of that upcoming change at DTRPG, but I'm pretty sure there's lots of people who arent aware though so a good thing to mention. Due to the uncertainty of exactly how the UK will, or won't, be affected I'm going to be picking up several premium color books, of which this will definitely be one, next weekend. Good job I'm due a bonus cause it's going to be an expensive one!

According to the last update from DTRPG, LightningSource is maintaining its old premium colour press in the UK (the change is due to them upgrading obsolete printers elsewhere), so they don't need to hike the price. It's bloody odd and bloody complicated!

Loz Loz Is there any material difference between the standard color version on DTRPG, the Lulu prints, and the print available through the TDM website? I was really pleased with the quality of the binding and colors in the Lulu hardcover version of Lyonesse that I picked up recently (though not quite as nice as the Aeon version I bought through the TDM webstore).

The Standard Colour and Lulu versions are comparable - except that the Lulu editions have a matte cover, which I personally prefer. If you buy through the TDM store, we fulfill with the Lulu edition.

In the year 1765 BC, King Zimri-Lim of Mari emerged from a planning session with his aides and summoned his personal scribe. As he paced the courtyard in his palace in the city of Tuttul, he dictated a letter to the scribe, who used the cut end of a reed to press the message into a warm clay tablet. That letter, which was to be sent within the hour by speedy messenger, said:

"To my wife, Šibtu, thus says Zimri-Lim: Ask the oracles in Mari questions about Hammurabi of Babylon. Will this man ever die? Does he speak with honesty? Will he bring war? Will he besiege my cities in Suhum while I campaign up north in Apum? Question the oracles, and when you have done so, do it again, and write to me with the answers."
Some days later, the Queen of Mari replied:

"I have asked the questions about Babylon; here is what I've learned. The Man of Babylon is sowing many seeds against this kingdom, but they will not bear fruit. Instead, you will overpower him and capture him. Then you'll see what the God will do to him. His days will soon be at an end. This you should know."

Reassured, King Zimri-Lim organised his troops for departure to the district of Apum. He planned to give battle to the adventurer Atamrum, puppet of the Elamites, who was besieging his allies in the north.

What is Mythic Babylon?
Mythic Babylon is a role-playing supplement for the Mythras game system. It provides everything you need to take your Mythras game back to the 18th century BC and enter a world of cut-throat diplomacy, Machiavellian politics, and ecstatic prophets. Within these covers you'll find information on the society, culture, religion, trade, laws, and beliefs of Old Babylon and the surrounding lands. The setting is presented as a sand-box with a wide-ranging gazetteer of places to explore, each loaded with plot hooks. For those who like to play against the backdrop of history, we provide a timeline of past and near future events. A bestiary and a chapter for game masters rounds out the end of the book.

This book contains everything you need to create adventures in the lands of Sumer, Akkad, and Subartu from the low lying Eden to the Cedar Mountains and even into the Underworld. Follow in the steps of kings like Gilgameš, Kubaba, or Hammurabi in this mythological and historical setting that was nearly 4000 years in the making.

Where is Mythic Babylon?
Mythic Babylon is set in what will later be called Mesopotamia by the Greeks, which means 'The Land Between the Rivers', referring to the Tigris and Euphrates. At the time our book is set, there is no one name for the whole region. Instead, the southern plain is called Sumer and the central plain is called Akkad. Together, these will one day be called Babylonia after the city of Babylon. The northern plain is called Subartu, but will one day come to be called Assyria after the city of Aššur.

This book focuses on Sumer, Akkad, and Subartu. Peripheral regions such as ancient Syria, Turkey, Iran, and Bahrain are given a more cursory treatment.

Expertly illustrated by James Turpin, Mythic Babylon is available in a variety of print on demand (POD) hardcover and softcover formats, plus a PDF version, from DrivethruRPG, Lulu, and the TDM Store. Aeon Games are preparing their own edition for the UK and Europe. The print version comes with the PDF free of charge, and an additional PDF package of maps at no extra charge.

332 pages. From $17.99 (PDF) to $44.99 (hardcover).

DrivethruRPG: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/355333/Mythic-Babylon

Lulu: Hardcover - https://www.lulu.com/en/ca/shop/pau...rdcover/product-4dz4v4.html?page=1&pageSize=4

Lulu: Softcover - https://www.lulu.com/en/ca/shop/pau...perback/product-7z92qz.html?page=1&pageSize=4

TDM Store - http://thedesignmechanism.com/store.php#!/Mythic-Babylon/p/367787033/category=24197109

View attachment 32022
I need to visit the ATM to deposit some money, pronto:shade:!

Loz Loz this pdf has some problems. It seems any page with a significant image or shaded text area renders all text outside of that area extremely light:

1624052696850.png

Also, the bookmarks are a single level without anything noting chapter bookmarks.
1624052749734.png

This is particularly messy on sections where subheadings get repeated a lot, like the combat style descriptions and the bestiary:
1624052910327.png

The Standard Colour and Lulu versions are comparable - except that the Lulu editions have a matte cover, which I personally prefer. If you buy through the TDM store, we fulfill with the Lulu edition.
The OCD in me is going to pretty much demand that I get the matte cover to go with all of my other TDM books (well aside from the Luther Arkwright and Fiorcitta books on my shelf).

Loz Loz this pdf has some problems. It seems any page with a significant image or shaded text area renders all text outside of that area extremely light:

View attachment 32035

Also, the bookmarks are a single level without anything noting chapter bookmarks.
View attachment 32036

This is particularly messy on sections where subheadings get repeated a lot, like the combat style descriptions and the bestiary:
View attachment 32037
We're aware of the rastering on some of the pages. It'll be fixed when we do an errata sweep for the PDF. It doesn't affect the print version.

And unfortunately not much we can do regarding the levelling of the PDF bookmarks, as these are autogenerated by the layout application, and we can't over-ride the levels I'm afraid.

And unfortunately not much we can do regarding the levelling of the PDF bookmarks, as these are autogenerated by the layout application, and we can't over-ride the levels I'm afraid.
That's unfortunate. I don't know much about layout applications, but I'd recommend looking into a different one. I mostly read the printed books (ordered mine from the TDM store, so very much looking forward to reading it), but PDFs are great reference tools with proper bookmarks. Look at AS&SH's for example:
1624064938751.png

That's a great resource. The Mythic Babylon pdf, in current state, well I'm glad it was free included with the book order.

The 'light' pages are just a symptom of a problem with the export. Most of the text (except the first page of each chapter, boxed text, and text in tables) is being exported as an image instead of being kept as a vector. The index has the same problem. This means you can't search the text or copy & paste for handouts. I am sure it will be fixed when TDM looks at it. At the moment it's a bit fubar if you are used to digital documents.

The book is great though, even if the lack of search is driving me a bit nuts.

That's unfortunate. I don't know much about layout applications, but I'd recommend looking into a different one. I mostly read the printed books (ordered mine from the TDM store, so very much looking forward to reading it), but PDFs are great reference tools with proper bookmarks. Look at AS&SH's for example:
View attachment 32052

That's a great resource. The Mythic Babylon pdf, in current state, well I'm glad it was free included with the book order.
I would gladly provide my services of bookmarking manually free of charge for any books I purchase. It’s not like I’m not going to do it anyways :smile:

I prefer matte covers, but if DTRPG Premium is going to have the best paper/ink, I’ll probably go with that one.

Hey Loz Loz, are the Hardcovers going to come right away, or after the editing pass once the internet has been turned loose on the pdf?

View attachment 32052

I usually go over my pdfs with pdf xchange to make/edit bookmarks.

Are the prices for delivery going up on Lulu in the same way they are about to on drivethrurpg?

Loz Loz there are many, many people with loads of technical knowledge on this board. This PDF is going to have bookmarks in short order, that's just a given:thumbsup:!
The question is thus, would you like us to share back the PDF after putting our bookmarks, so you could replace it?

Also, is there a campaign planned for Mythic Babylon, like Book of Quests?

Last but not least, I feel for everybody who needs to wait for a paycheck - I'm already being impatient for having to wait until after work today:shade:!

Last edited:
I usually go over my pdfs with pdf xchange to make/edit bookmarks.
Yeah, that's part of familiarizing myself with the layout of the book... so I'll never complain that a PDF doesn't already have them.

View attachment 32052

It's definitely annoying! Adobe InDesign has very good level-based bookmarking, and working together with Adobe Acribat you can accomplish exactly what you show in your screen shot. We stopped using Adobe a couple of years back because their latest software was no longer compatible with our hardware (it would mean upgrading two Macs), and also because Adobe Creative Cloud is extortionately priced. But we'll keep looking into how we can improved the bookmarking, so it's not lost on us!

I prefer matte covers, but if DTRPG Premium is going to have the best paper/ink, I’ll probably go with that one.

Hey Loz Loz, are the Hardcovers going to come right away, or after the editing pass once the internet has been turned loose on the pdf?
The books are already available for printing, and once you place and order, the book is printed to order for you. The rastering thing on the PDF doesn't affect the print files for the books, and the great thing about POD is we can easily update the files used for the print copies to keep them up to date.

Loz Loz there are many, many people with loads of technical knowledge on this board. This PDF is going to have bookmarks in short order, that's just a given:thumbsup:!
The question is thus, would you like us to share back the PDF after putting our bookmarks, so you could replace it?

Also, is there a campaign planned for Mythic Babylon, like Book of Quests?

Last but not least, I feel for everybody who needs to wait for a paycheck - I'm already being impatient for having to wait until after work today:shade:!
We have the technical skills for bookmarking - it's finding the right software, so if anyone knows of the best Mac OSX PDF editor (we already have PDF Expert), aside from Acrobat, that supports multi-level indexing, drop me a line and we'll investigate it.

No campaign plans at present, but I know that both Dr Mitch and Mr Gilmore have campaigns going (mainly because I'm playing a necromancer, Shambari of Urkesh, in the latter). It's a question of persuading one or both to write them up. But as ever, we welcome and encourage independent scenario submissions for anything we support.

Loz Loz Affinity Publisher 1.9+ supports manual bookmarks, with parent/child structures.

I don't want to keep harping on, but the text-rasterising problem affects the whole book, even the header & footer, the slightly-fuzzy text all the way through is maddening. I looked at the Babylon preview from the newsletter and it is perfect.

No campaign plans at present, but I know that both Dr Mitch and Mr Gilmore have campaigns going (mainly because I'm playing a necromancer, Shambari of Urkesh, in the latter). It's a question of persuading one or both to write them up. But as ever, we welcome and encourage independent scenario submissions for anything we support.

I hope either of them are persuaded, because I would love that. More Bronze Age Mesopotamia books! We require more!

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back