Need ideas to flesh out an ancient fantasy Prison in "Mythic" Medieval Europe

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Raging Iron Thunder

Active Pubber
Reaction score
So in my Ars Magica campaign (with 1 player), the PC has an egg sized blue crystal that beats like a heart he found in an ancient Temple complex under Damascus. He has used it to go to a small pocket universe (Regio). Using my new Deck of Worlds, my player and I built some key features of this pocket universe.

20221225_154806.jpg

He enters through a portal that thirsts/hungers, and used to be a portal to another world. It enters into a valley shaped by a battle between powerful entities, now a wellspring of magic, making it a haven for mythical creatures, and an excellent source for rare spell components. There is a small villa there, that the PC has stayed in with magical amenities.

In the valley is a massive prison, without end, currently under siege from within. Originally created as a trap for an ancient evil [monster, curse or spirit], it is slowly breaking out as the Guardian’s [Warrior, Construct, or Demigod] powers are failing.

This is also inspired in part by the idea of Belsalvis from the MMO Star Wars the Old Republic, where the player discovers that the planet has layers and layers of ancient prisons.

The player has asked for some adventures in this realm, and I’m brainstorming various ideas. My thought is that the prison has layers (whether horizontal or vertical, or both) built by various empires that held it: The most recent layers are Islamic, as the Summoners of Solomon commanded great Jinn to make improvements. I’m thinking various Roman, Greek, Persian, Assyrian, Egyptian layers. Having recently watched this podcast, I’m tempted to have an “Atlantis” layer as the first part of the prison.

What I am hoping for are some ideas to fill in this sketch, i.e.

What does the portal thirst/hunger for? Does this mean it's sentient? (So far we have played with the idea the PC doesn't... remember everything from his previous visits there to study some books.

What kind of mythic creatures are in the valley?

Who and what, exactly from the world of a supernatural antiquity of the middle east, is in a “Prison without End”?

What is this ancient evil? I already have the No-God, but he's not in this prison, maybe a being that destroyed Atlantis?

Any and all ideas are welcome, including novel/tv/movie/ rpg sourcebook suggestions. If something isn't clear, please let me know and I'll edit this post and answer in the thread.

Last edited:
Regarding the Portal, my first thought was it hungers for memories, stealing them from anyone who traverses the portal. May explain why the PC can't remember previous visits...

Could the prison be a much larger portal, rather than an actual being? And the "prison" is simply the lock that keeps it closed, put there by the ancient civilization of your choice, with (some) of that knowledge handed down to successor cultures to maintain the prison, but now either their lack of knowledge or lack of proper maintenance has led to the prison starting to break down...

Imprisoned Demigod: The Red-Headed Stepchild of Delusion, Sunstroke. Sentient but Incoherent.
Guardian Valley Thirst: Coherent, Lively Conversation... and good Lemonade.
The Endless Dungeon's Purpose: coolness and shade to deny the demigod power.
The Demigod's Minions Fighting from Within: heat waves, mirages, and blinding sunlight glare.
Valley's Mystic Creatures & Connection to Greater War: (Elementals) Genies, Djinns, Marids, Daos. Suburban Slum to the City of Brass -- there's portals to the City of Brass within but tend to stay closed and well guarded.

Imprisoned Demigod: The Red-Headed Stepchild of Delusion, Sunstroke. Sentient but Incoherent.
Guardian Valley Thirst: Coherent, Lively Conversation... and good Lemonade.
The Endless Dungeon's Purpose: coolness and shade to deny the demigod power.
The Demigod's Minions Fighting from Within: heat waves, mirages, and blinding sunlight glare.
Valley's Mystic Creatures & Connection to Greater War: (Elementals) Genies, Djinns, Marids, Daos. Suburban Slum to the City of Brass -- there's portals to the City of Brass within but tend to stay closed and well guarded.

This is neat, and we've used the City of Brass in the past, and part of our campaign lore are that there are in fact other various Cities (i.e of Bronze) out there too.
Regarding the Portal, my first thought was it hungers for memories, stealing them from anyone who traverses the portal. May explain why the PC can't remember previous visits...

Could the prison be a much larger portal, rather than an actual being? And the "prison" is simply the lock that keeps it closed, put there by the ancient civilization of your choice, with (some) of that knowledge handed down to successor cultures to maintain the prison, but now either their lack of knowledge or lack of proper maintenance has led to the prison starting to break down...

Yes, a portal that hungers for memories is 100% an idea I've toyed around with and will have to use. I'm wondering about the idea of a sentient/portal/being that the PC can bargain with. We both had the idea of a big prison fortress, and that he's on the outside, but naturally, may need something from the inside...

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back