Need some one-of-a-kind monsters.

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

E-Rocker

Not a goose
Reaction score
Like the title says, I need some one-of-a-kind monsters. I'll be using them in Savage Worlds Adventure Edition, but I am looking more for concepts than stats. With a good concept, I can come up with the stats on my own.

What have you got?

I have loved Into the Wyrd and Wild for this, the monsters are awesome and evocative. There's a stimulating soupcon of body horror, and they are, well, quite different than most fantasy monsters. Plus they work like a matched set. If you want deets maybe PM me.

'Fire On The Velvet Horizon' is a book of unique creatures without stats... they're not the sort of things where you can just pick up weapons and fight. Some are like embodied concepts where PCs would have to change the setting in a way that would remove the assumptions allowing the monster to exist.
I've seen some folks complaining that it's all too 'abstract and artsy'... and Scrap Princess' style of illustration puts some folks off as well... but I've found it a good source of inspiration.

Last edited:
OK, Fire on the Velvet Horizon wins a cookie for best title of the day. It's like Vernor Vinge meets David Lynch. Also, Scrap Princess is awesome.

Gonna link you to a long running thread of T&T monsters on the Trollbridge site

There are several good ones (IMO) on the very first page.

Like the title says, I need some one-of-a-kind monsters. I'll be using them in Savage Worlds Adventure Edition, but I am looking more for concepts than stats. With a good concept, I can come up with the stats on my own.

What have you got?
How about a true Upir (Vampire)?
It looks like a human, but it's got no bones* (including a nose cartillage). Goes out of a tomb to look for fresh blood, often "visits" his widow. In some versions: impervious to weapons not blessed by a priest or wise man/woman, or wielded by a PC born on Saturday, or born out of a relationship between an upir and a mortal (often, said widow).

*As such, can pass through incredibly small places... And when hurt, explodes like a waterskin filled with blood.
Bonus points if you have vampire lovers in your group:grin:!

If you want creepy horrific unique and very games monsters, check out anything by Rafael Chandler. I know of two OSR bestiaries — Teratic Tome and Lusus Naturæ — bursting at the seams with unique beasties. (Some of them sexualized in design and/or MO but it never feels cheap or crude.)

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back